test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing As The Romulan Empire And Not The Republic

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Just once, I'd love to see the player fail his charisma roll with those workers and have one tell him to "Pon farr off!" :mrgreen:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    D'Tan is also a canon character, he was in TNG Unification, the kid following Spock around like a puppy.

Although to be fair, there's no canon character immunity in STO as a whole.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    > @xyquarze said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > D'Tan is also a canon character, he was in TNG Unification, the kid following Spock around like a puppy.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Although to be fair, there's no canon character immunity in STO as a whole.

I didn't mean to imply there was, I'm still mad about Alexander, just a small note on the character.

Isn't the treatment of Alexander why Micheal Dorn doesn't want to do more VO for STO (at least at the moment), that said I don't mind Cryptic killing Alexander off per say but the way they did it wasn't really all that great, but then the klingon war arc needs a rather serious rewrite on both factions as it suffers quite a lot of "early Cryptic writing"
    spiritborn wrote: »
    that said I don't mind Cryptic killing Alexander off per say but the way they did it wasn't really all that great, but then the klingon war arc needs a rather serious rewrite on both factions as it suffers quite a lot of "early Cryptic writing"
    The way they did it was a callback to that episode of TNG with future Alexander, aka K'mtar.
    I know that but what I'm saying is that due to Cryptic not being as good at writing back then the call back scene didn't quite have the emotional impact it was meant to have.
    Also in regards to D'Tan, J'mpok and Quinn I suspect they're essentially immortal as far as the story is conserned due to being the "primary contact" for their respective factions and how much work it would be to replace them.

So it's less about not killing off canon characters (as Quinn and J'mpok are STO OCs)and more about not giving the dev team too much work.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Also in regards to D'Tan, J'mpok and Quinn I suspect they're essentially immortal as far as the story is conserned due to being the "primary contact" for their respective factions and how much work it would be to replace them.

So it's less about not killing off canon characters (as Quinn and J'mpok are STO OCs)and more about not giving the dev team too much work.
    Exactly.

As in pretty much expect in any MMORPG, any named character who appears in a social zone can be expected to stay there.
    warpangel wrote: »

Exactly.

As in pretty much expect in any MMORPG, any named character who appears in a social zone can be expected to stay there.

It's logical really, you want to use your resources effectively and re-recording possibly thousands lines of dialogue because of constant changing of NPCs isn't really a wise use those resources.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    The Romulan Star Empire is dead, Jim.

Going by whats in the Picard trailer there might still be some flight in the raptors wings yet.

That's part of the evacuation that Picard leads to save people of Romulus (I hope they included Remans, but they may have been forgotten). It seems they are being relocated to possibly Mars (Mars was terraformed by the time of the Next Generation TV show). So there's going to be some changes in STO for sure.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Now if D'Tan could only inspire those lazy Romulan louts in the Staging Area to actually work and not yawn all day he would be a truly great leader. :)

Yeah, my captains generally ignore those yawning lazybones.

Just once, I'd love to see the player fail his charisma roll with those workers and have one tell him to "Pon farr off!" :mrgreen:

Thanks for the laugh, I really need that right now with RL giving me heck right now.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @aboundedorc0#8479 said:
    > coldnapalm wrote: »
    >
    > RSE is dead in this game. The cast of characters that are involved in it are worthless for further story points. IF we were to get a RSE revival, we would need somebody new who isn't a bloody moron to take center stage. Maybe we can get a tie in character for that in the new Picard trek. Maybe they can come up with one on their own. More than likely however, they won't do it at all.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Replacing D'Tan by assassination would certainly be a nice twist to make the Romulan storyline pop with some spiffy new content (or content tied into whatever the heck they're gonna do next)? For my money, Cryptic could've left J'mpok dead from that poisoning episode too. I mean once Martok returned, he would have had my support as Chancellor.

It would just make him a Martyr and anyone involved with the conspiracy would be relentlessly pursued until the end of their days....his successor would either carry on D'Tan’s policies or be voted out in favor of someone who would. Even the Tal Shiar Remnants understood killing him was pointless.....he has already won.

You even see the point of his victory.....the first time you beam to the Staging area and get the cutscene where Obisek pledges Reman support to the Republic.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    > @xyquarze said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > D'Tan is also a canon character, he was in TNG Unification, the kid following Spock around like a puppy.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Although to be fair, there's no canon character immunity in STO as a whole.

I didn't mean to imply there was, I'm still mad about Alexander, just a small note on the character.

Isn't the treatment of Alexander why Micheal Dorn doesn't want to do more VO for STO (at least at the moment), that said I don't mind Cryptic killing Alexander off per say but the way they did it wasn't really all that great, but then the klingon war arc needs a rather serious rewrite on both factions as it suffers quite a lot of "early Cryptic writing"

I did the mission where Alexander dies 2 weeks ago, and It was very disappointing. the animations are bugged, and the movements of the dying alexander are ridiculous + worf looks like a clown when he screams. it is 1 of the most important mission; and everything is done without seriousness. it is really sad.

+ the death of alexander wasn't necessary

if this is the reason why michael dorn doesn't want anymore to do voices, i can understand.
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    The New Romulan Republic is as the Star Empire, without the machinations of the Tal Shiar.

Even with the Unificationists & Reformists leading, there are still the Traditionalists.

The Romulan & Reman people are martial as ever, as they should be.

The Romulan Star Empire is dead, peace & long life to the New Romulan Republic.

OOC though, I've been mostly satisfied with LoR, ViL not at all. The Cardassian stuff was a really wasted opportunity. The JM wingmen are kind of unneeded & annoying imo.

tbf the only LoR things one should be complaining about, is the lack of (Romulan) Disruptor options, the TS uniform, and unplayable Suliban, Acamarian, etc
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    bltrrn wrote: »
    tbf the only LoR things one should be complaining about, is the lack of (Romulan) Disruptor options, the TS uniform, and unplayable Suliban, Acamarian, etc

The lack of options is the main reason I didn't make some more Roms. I'd want to - unfortunately this has been thrown out IIRC.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

The lack of options is the main reason I didn't make some more Roms. I'd want to - unfortunately this has been thrown out IIRC.

Likewise, I also forgot to mention the general lack of melee stuff. Shadow/Honor Blades would feel so right.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    and unplayable Suliban, Acamarian, etc
    Why would the Acamarians be playable on the Rom side? IF anything, they would become another Federation member.

Suliban I can somewhat understand, even if that makes little sense also.
    Because in STO's timeline both are minor powers that don't have a strong connection to the UFP. In the story D'Tan talked about finding allies and stuff....

Also, the Romulan themed doff pack has Romulans, Remans, Acamarians, and Suliban.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    All true and it may well be that CBS will not allow playing "evil". B
    Cryptic has talked about this before, and have said they reason why they don't do evil faction is because most people don't actually want to be really, actually, evil. Pointing to the massive negative reaction to things like Renegade's Regret, where many people asked to skip the mission because they found committing genocide uncomfortable.
    Yes, and also it would require them to make separate minority faction content again, which they really don't want to do. We've had two "factions" now that contain no exclusive content at all after the tutorial and that is likely going to remain the standard if they make any more "factions."
    Well the reason why they only do cross faction stuff. Is because of their limited man power that is the biggest reason. I think they are starting to hire new people from what I gathered from the live stream so hopefully this is going to help them out. Hopefully they get enough new hires so they can do less cross faction stuff. But that is a wild hope. Kdf duty officer stuff needs an overhaul and I think making it so dismissing officers does not mean they are executed would help make them less evilish.
    Could help the faction out if they did this. Also reading on the kdf on memory beta. It mentioned this about the kdf.

The Defense Force was known to consist of two elements, the first of which is the Deep Space Fleet (DSF) which consists of the regular naval forces. The second military group is the Internal Security Force (ISF) which operated smaller ships whose duties include policing rules, border patrols, anti-piracy duties, safety & rescue and customs along with tariff regulations. Their duty also extends to watching over client or conquered worlds to ensure they do not rise up against the Empire. However, despite its duties, the ISF is inferior to the DSF in political, military and even social standing. (TOS video game: Starfleet Command II)

Though there exists the Klingon General Bureau that handles external intelligence operations; the two branches within the Defense Force operate their own intelligence branches which tends to cause duplication of work as well as political infighting.

The Galactic Research Unit serves as the external intelligence agency for the Deep Space Fleet while the Maximum Veracity Directorate serves a similar role for the Internal Security Force.

So in sort, the Klingon Empire Defense Force would not support piracy for one thing. Klingons are supposed to be Honorable. Piracy and outright murdering and enslaving and selling people to the orions isn't honorable. That one missions were you can engage in dialog with the galexy ship after drake tricks federation star ships into the system does need to be changed so you can walk away from fighting the starfleet ships. Instead of being forced to fight them at the very end because of your characters words without getting a choice.Its basically this, Starfleet is tricked into the system. Can talk as if you might allow them to leave or whatever but it still forces you to murder them. Even if you try to avoid it the last option makes you go hostile and attack. They make you commit an dishonorable choice in that mission. As they were innocent only guilty of answering a distress call.

Kdf as its stands is the closet thing we have to a more evil faction in the game. I do think it needs an overhaul. To make it less evil and more honorable.

that's because all you are referencing is the TNG makeover of the Klingons. the Klingons were designed after the height of the cold war USSR, right down to the KGB operating it's own military units, and conducting surveillance of even high ranking commanders (Errand of Mercy) Even the KDF was suborned to be inferior to the Federation fleet, as shown in several episodes where the Enterprise would destroy or disable KDF vessels with one or two shots. not until Roddenberry decided to include Worf in the crew did the honorable warrior thing come to light
    Spock.jpg

not until Roddenberry decided to include Worf in the crew did the honorable warrior thing come to light
    Even then, TNG and all later Trek shows went to great lengths to show that the "honorable warrior" thing was just Worf's over idealized view on the Klingons, and that Klingons weren't actually that at all.

It was more that the Klingon version of a "honorble warrior" is different from what Worf thought it was, the thing with klingons in general is that their honor code is dependent on external honor (aka being seen as honorble), while Worf's personal idea depended more on internal honor (aka following a certain personal honor code regardless of what others thought of you).

Mind this is very condenced version of this issue, but it's essenstially this.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2019

Likewise, I also forgot to mention the general lack of melee stuff. Shadow/Honor Blades would feel so right.

if new weapons are added, they must improve the melee combat. I bought just for the fun the furiadon fangs, and well it is not funny. the movements are too slow, they are not natural at all.

the cd for the attacks are too long even with the bonus given by the weapon proc. + the melee weapons should have a "zone" attack like the big weapon from the lobi store (can't remember the name: cannon something?)

when we use a melee weapon, we should gain also a bonus against flanking damage (added to those that already exist), against trolls like the vaadwaur who are snipers even when they move, that would be useful; all the armies around the world would like to have this kind of soldier, they never miss their target.

+ the melee attacks are not enough precise. these attacks should have a 100% shield prenetration, that would be logical.
    Kdf as its stands is the closet thing we have to a more evil faction in the game. I do think it needs an overhaul. To make it less evil and more honorable.

i personally like the evil aspect of the kdf. I often tired by the good feelings and the excessive whining of the federation. the world is not black or white, but done with a lot of shades of grey (no reference to the film).
    edited August 2019
    [quote]
    Well the reason why they only do cross faction stuff. Is because of their limited man power that is the biggest reason. I think they are starting to hire new people from what I gathered from the live stream so hopefully this is going to help them out. Hopefully they get enough new hires so they can do less cross faction stuff. But that is a wild hope. Kdf duty officer stuff needs an overhaul and I think making it so dismissing officers does not mean they are executed would help make them less evilish.
    Could help the faction out if they did this. Also reading on the kdf on memory beta. It mentioned this about the kdf.

The Defense Force was known to consist of two elements, the first of which is the Deep Space Fleet (DSF) which consists of the regular naval forces. The second military group is the Internal Security Force (ISF) which operated smaller ships whose duties include policing rules, border patrols, anti-piracy duties, safety & rescue and customs along with tariff regulations. Their duty also extends to watching over client or conquered worlds to ensure they do not rise up against the Empire. However, despite its duties, the ISF is inferior to the DSF in political, military and even social standing. (TOS video game: Starfleet Command II)

Though there exists the Klingon General Bureau that handles external intelligence operations; the two branches within the Defense Force operate their own intelligence branches which tends to cause duplication of work as well as political infighting.

The Galactic Research Unit serves as the external intelligence agency for the Deep Space Fleet while the Maximum Veracity Directorate serves a similar role for the Internal Security Force. [/quote]

Much of that is lore from the old Star Fleet Battles board game. SFB's backstory and lore were based on TOS, which used the Klingons as a direct stand-in for the USSR and that became largely obsolete by TNG.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    SFB was a weird alternate universe that will probably get ignored by everything else. Mainly because in SFB TNG, and DS9, and ENT, etc.. didn't happen. Licensing! Yeah they only had a license for TOS. Then it expired.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @markhawkman said:
    > SFB was a weird alternate universe that will probably get ignored by everything else. Mainly because in SFB TNG, and DS9, and ENT, etc.. didn't happen. Licensing! Yeah they only had a license for TOS. Then it expired.

Not probably, absolutely certainly. First because its non canon, second because its very poorly written, third because it uses multiple things, like the kzinti, that Trek isn't allowed to use anymore.

More like already has been....SFB is almost forgotten now. The lore for it wasn't that bad...it was intended to create a strategic situation that made sense to the player within the limits set by the tenuous nature of their license (from Franz Josef of all people). I enjoyed playing it back in the 80s and early 90s before the sheer volume of rules + changes that had to be kept up with got to be too much. It's totally obsolete now in the post-Discovery era.

But the stuff I quoted earlier sounds like it was lifted word for word from the Klingon background info in SFB...which is of course why it will never be used.
This discussion has been closed.