test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need better way to earn Assessed Strategems since nobody does pickup co-op queue anymore.

wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 397 Arc User
As far as I know the only ways to currently earn assessed strategems are:
- once a day spend 100 competitive marks to buy one.
- Do one of the 3 co-op missions on advanced/elite that award them.
- For a new character, you could potentially also get the account-wide temporal/gamma reward box that gives a few elite marks.
- Get lucky when opening equipment requisition from daily/hourly mark task (I'm tier3 comp faction and haven't been lucky yet).

Unfortunately nobody does pickup on those 3 co-op missions anymore. I sat in queue for all 3 co-op missions for 5 hours yesterday and one never started. Also, it seems that the random PVE missions don't include the 3 co-op missions. I tried forming a group but it seems nobody wants to do them even if you offer EC for their time.

Before current season when Starbase-1 mission was converted to discovery marks, I believe it was a choice of mark mission that could also award strategems. We need something like that now.

Please add Competitive Marks to an existing or new PVE queue "choice-of-marks" mission so that we have some other realistic way to earn the strategems than the slow buy-1-a-day method.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Agreed, Assessed Stratagems and Competitive Marks are overall too difficult to get.

Anytime I make a new character and claim my Gamma/Delta/Temporal reward packs I always select Competitive Marks and Stratagems because they're so hard to get. Right now, the most reliable way for new players is to do RTFO, select Competitive from the bonus box and covert 100 Marks a day for the Stratagems.

It's much more tedious then other reputations.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 397 Arc User
    Competitive marks themselves are relatively easy to get if you don't mind random PVE missions. If you select random, Advanced, then at end of mission in addition to whatever the standard reward is, you get a box that can have between 50-100 marks in it of your choice, including both Competitive and Discovery.

I did about 10 random missions yesterday and picked up 400-500 comp marks. The real bottleneck is the elite marks (strategems) since the random event bonus is only regular marks, not elite marks, even if done on advanced queue.
  • wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 397 Arc User
    Competitive marks themselves are relatively easy to get if you don't mind random PVE missions. If you select random, Advanced, then at end of mission in addition to whatever the standard reward is, you get a box that can have between 50-100 marks in it of your choice, including both Competitive and Discovery.

I did about 10 random missions yesterday and picked up 400-500 comp marks. The real bottleneck is the elite marks (strategems) since the random event bonus is only regular marks, not elite marks, even if done on advanced queue.

The random queue is not bad..you get to play missions you have not done in a year or two and occasionally even see an event you have never tried before (and hope whoever selected that mission vs getting it in random knows what they are doing). Every now and then you may see someone bail like one player did at very start of Gravity Kills, but for the most part most pickup randoms are completed easily.
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Agreed, Assessed Stratagems and Competitive Marks are overall too difficult to get.

Anytime I make a new character and claim my Gamma/Delta/Temporal reward packs I always select Competitive Marks and Stratagems because they're so hard to get. Right now, the most reliable way for new players is to do RTFO, select Competitive from the bonus box and covert 100 Marks a day for the Stratagems.

It's much more tedious then other reputations.

^^^ This. Exactly what I've done with me new main/co-main character. Time-consuming and tedious, but by the time you're high enough in the reputation to get the gear you want, you'll have enough elite marks.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,803 Arc User

The random queue is not bad..you get to play missions you have not done in a year or two and occasionally even see an event you have never tried before (and hope whoever selected that mission vs getting it in random knows what they are doing). Every now and then you may see someone bail like one player did at very start of Gravity Kills, but for the most part most pickup randoms are completed easily.

Random ques are wildly erratic which is not great. Sometimes the group does well enough, other times they flub the thing or worse yet it occasionally devolves into spawnlock. During high population times they are not bad, especially if certain endeavors are running that encourage people to que up certain things (especially when the endeavor itself is to do one or more randoms), but off times that also lack those particular endeavors can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Since SB1 went to only DSC and Fleet marks I tend to play STO less on weeks without FTFOs unless I need DSC marks or one of the other ques that actually populate in a reasonable time (assuming the character has access to non-DSC TFOs that have the right marks, many lower level ones can only do the FTFO, DSC, and Romulan Minefield ones). RTFOs are locked and do not become available much before endgame levels, and the characters that need the marks the most tend to be lower and mid level ones rather than those who already have most of the reps appropriate to their energy type at T6 already.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

Random ques are wildly erratic which is not great. Sometimes the group does well enough, other times they flub the thing or worse yet it occasionally devolves into spawnlock. During high population times they are not bad, especially if certain endeavors are running that encourage people to que up certain things (especially when the endeavor itself is to do one or more randoms), but off times that also lack those particular endeavors can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Since SB1 went to only DSC and Fleet marks I tend to play STO less on weeks without FTFOs unless I need DSC marks or one of the other ques that actually populate in a reasonable time (assuming the character has access to non-DSC TFOs that have the right marks, many lower level ones can only do the FTFO, DSC, and Romulan Minefield ones). RTFOs are locked and do not become available much before endgame levels, and the characters that need the marks the most tend to be lower and mid level ones rather than those who already have most of the reps appropriate to their energy type at T6 already.

Yeah, the reconversión of SB1 does the same to me, only use it to get more marks for the only char that is leveling Discovery reputation.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    No, we need to get rid of the "better ways" to get everything, so that people would want to play the relevant content.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    No, we need to get rid of the "better ways" to get everything, so that people would want to play the relevant content.

By "want" you mean "be forced against their will" if they want to complete a reputation.

For many of us, PVP is not fun.

For many of us, a buggy battlezone that doesn't award its marks is not fun.

The system as it is now lets players choose their grind, to pick the options they find most enjoyable.

Right, because forcing to play some content that is quite inefficient in time/reward is the way to go.. a lot of casuals (like me), only have little time alocated to play the game, the less time is better, so i can do more stuff in the same amount of time..

By "want" you mean "be forced against their will" if they want to complete a reputation.
    Nobody is "forcing" you to complete reputations against your will.
    The system as it is now lets players choose their grind, to pick the options they find most enjoyable.
    By "enjoyable" you mean "the biggest payout for the least effort."

Nobody is "forcing" you to complete reputations against your will.
    By "enjoyable" you mean "the biggest payout for the least effort."

I'm with Dave on this one, for someone who has very little time, i'll love to waste the less time posible, sometimes i only have 30 to 45 minutes of play until RL calls me back.. :smile:
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    They should give out Competitive Marks and Strategems in regular PvP, too. It can be just a wrapper mission that rewards them only once per day or so, but it would be better than what we have now, and also at least be an attempt again to reinvorgorate PvP a bit, which was what the Competitive Rep was about.

The biggest problem with the Competitive Rep Queue is that it's not part of the regular Random TFO rotation, since it needs 10 instead fo 5 players. If they could find a way to address that, it would probably be not such a big deal.

There is really no need for people to whine that it's "forced" PvP. Only one of the Space Queues actually has direct PvP, and even there you can mostly ignore it. And you get rewards regardless of whether you win or lose! And the other Space Queue has no direct PvP, it's just a DPS/Puzzle game where there is another side. No matter how much you dislike PvP, you're not deadly allergic to it, just as no one is deadly allergic to ground TFOs.
    I definitely do not think that there should be any source for Assessed Strategem via non PvP/Competitive stuff, but they need to improve accessibility to the things that do provide them.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,803 Arc User
    They should give out Competitive Marks and Strategems in regular PvP, too. It can be just a wrapper mission that rewards them only once per day or so, but it would be better than what we have now, and also at least be an attempt again to reinvorgorate PvP a bit, which was what the Competitive Rep was about.

The biggest problem with the Competitive Rep Queue is that it's not part of the regular Random TFO rotation, since it needs 10 instead fo 5 players. If they could find a way to address that, it would probably be not such a big deal.

There is really no need for people to whine that it's "forced" PvP. Only one of the Space Queues actually has direct PvP, and even there you can mostly ignore it. And you get rewards regardless of whether you win or lose! And the other Space Queue has no direct PvP, it's just a DPS/Puzzle game where there is another side. No matter how much you dislike PvP, you're not deadly allergic to it, just as no one is deadly allergic to ground TFOs.
    I definitely do not think that there should be any source for Assessed Strategem via non PvP/Competitive stuff, but they need to improve accessibility to the things that do provide them.

It really does not matter that you can get the marks whether you win or loose since the TFOs almost never populate in the first place to even get into the scenario.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    As far as I know the only ways to currently earn assessed strategems are:
    - once a day spend 100 competitive marks to buy one.
    - Do one of the 3 co-op missions on advanced/elite that award them.
    - For a new character, you could potentially also get the account-wide temporal/gamma reward box that gives a few elite marks.
    - Get lucky when opening equipment requisition from daily/hourly mark task (I'm tier3 comp faction and haven't been lucky yet).

You are correct. I find that the easiest and fastest way to grind competitive elite marks is to stockpile marks during an "any marks" event like Crystalline, Breach etc. Then go through the process of converting 100 marks to 1 elite mark once per day. I personally did this on 9 characters to get the competitive shield and engine for all 9 characters. The slow buy 1 per day method worked out just fine for me.

Right now, your best bet is probably to use risa birds and monkeys to earn competitive marks assuming that you're already doing risa activities. You'll get at least 100 marks per day doing this and with crits, you'll get 150 to 200 marks per day. Outside of an "any marks" event, your best bet is random advanced runs. I just spammed random advanced runs over the last week and a half to earn 1600 discovery marks on all 11 of my characters to get their discovery rep to Tier 6. So to anyone who says that's too hard or takes too long, I'd have to say I strongly disagree with you.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    The only potential way to get the PvE/P missions to pop is to remove the competitive marks from random TFO's/Red Alerts and other multi-mark rewarding boxes.

Why would you queue up for them at the moment when queuing up for a random TFO and getting a nice easy ISA rewards the marks minus the elite of course.

I'm not a fan of the space ones but Binary Circuit isn't to bad. No PvP its just 2 teams racing each other and completing a couple puzzles with some pew pew.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Binary Circuit is the only TFO I have done on Elite. It was quite fun. Since they have 'Do PVP' for the Universal, they could add the Competitive TFOs into the lineup there as well. The PVP is also 5x5.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Or was it? The devs certainly didn't do anything to that effect. The comprep's connection with PvP was almost entirely made up by the players complaining about it.

I do suppose if the devs did consider adding compmarks to PvP, the idea would have been rejected to avoid encouraging players to set up matches just to die on purpose again.
    ltminns wrote: »
    Binary Circuit is the only TFO I have done on Elite. It was quite fun. Since they have 'Do PVP' for the Universal, they could add the Competitive TFOs into the lineup there as well. The PVP is also 5x5.
    They are already in the personals, which are much better than the garbage universal. But of course nobody does any TFO's for endos, because it's easier to reroll to something trivial.
    The only potential way to get the PvE/P missions to pop is to remove the competitive marks from random TFO's/Red Alerts and other multi-mark rewarding boxes.

Why would you queue up for them at the moment when queuing up for a random TFO and getting a nice easy ISA rewards the marks minus the elite of course.
    Exactly. In fact I'd remove the allmark spoilboxes from the game completely for that same reason.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    But having it in the Universal would probably ensure that it would pop more often.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    But having it in the Universal would probably ensure that it would pop more often.
    In the initial rush of peeps who gotta catch 'em all, maybe. By the next day, there will be two or three people in the queue complaining it never pops, just like the PvP one.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,415 Arc User
    The only good mission is the ground one. Any of the space ones are cancer due to the PVP'ers just PVP'ing at the end rather then do the objective. And I abhor anything PVP'er.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    Any of the space ones are cancer due to the PVP'ers just PVP'ing at the end rather then do the objective.
    Indicates you've never played them, since only one of the space ones even allows PvP at the end.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The ground one is better/more enjoyable because it doesn't suffer from the effects of power creep that space does.

The pvp endeavour was eventually graced with a tiny improvment when they grasped that participation and win are two different things.

Any group content that requires more than 5 will suffer a lack of numbers and comp rep got hit a few weeks after it came out once the first flurry of mains got the tokens required. (Gamma waiting zone has had the same issue, rep gets filled and noone wants to twiddle thumbs at the TRIBBLE end of space waiting for other people)

Won't have been helped by the fact that its only ever been the same three maps on offer, as with most content stuff is "done" then simply left to die a slow lingering death.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    twin tribulations (space) and binary circuit (ground) basically dont have interactions between the players directly. so no pvp involved. its just a race. and the major problem for most people is, that its about objectives and not just pewpew. thats the part most people tend to fail ;)

based on the experience, binary circuit elite is the best queue to get your elite tokens faster than 1 per day via trade in. the best way is to promote it in several dedicated pve channels like dps-bronze etc to get it started. in case you dont know how to play binary circuit, there is a guide at sto-league.com for it ;)

so basically there are 3 possiblities:
    • easy and slow
    • more difficult to pop but fast
    • qq at the forum
    the last one is usualy the worst possibility but the one some people defnitly perfere;)
    but i dont see a reason why something should be changed.
    felisean wrote: »
    in case you dont know how to play binary circuit, there is a guide at sto-league.com for it.

I really should study that.. because I'll freely admit.. I only did this queue once and I was completely clueless the entire time. Luckily, I was carried to victory. :lol:

I do frequently see people forming groups for it in the DPS channels, so yes..this is absolutely a viable option. I admit though, I have always taken the 'easy and slow' path which is on me. I just never bothered to learn the queue which is no ones fault by my own.
    edited July 2019
    I do frequently see people forming groups for it in the DPS channels, so yes..this is absolutely a viable option. I admit though, I have always taken the 'easy and slow' path which is on me. I just never bothered to learn the queue which is no ones fault by my own.
    Yeah, it's a very good mission and in Elite has a good reward/effort ratio (even when you "lose"). Before they spoiled the marks it was very popular even in pugs.

Now the empty queues are a negative feedback loop. Nobody queues for them because they expect it to never pop.
  • koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    I've tried repeatedly recently to get teams to queue using RedditChat and the in-game dps invite channels. Also tried zone chats and NoP public service to get groups to queue. No-one will touch them, because of a pathological fear of PvP in this game.

Can't say I blame them. PvPers can instagib most players in the space of time it takes to try hit a key on your keyboard for a defensive cd, BUT you try tell them BCE (Binary Circuit Elite) involves zero PvP and they're still not interested.

I once sat 8 hours idling in Earth Spacedock for both Binary Circuit Advanced and Elite, neither queue popped. Strategems are too hard to get and you're left with the solutions already proposed. Maybe the Rare and above random queue boxes can also offer an Elite mark of your choice?

Just another suggestion.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    i sadly have to admit that the idea is not good at all koppster ;)
    there is already a possibility to turn in 100 marks => 1 elite mark once every 20 hours. thats the "i cant play the queues" way to achieve them. but for you that doesnt work bc of whatever reason ;)

and like i said, in binary circuit elite is no pvp involved. the only way to get to the other side is as a (useless) drone during the labyrinth ;)

and tbh, i never had much trouble getting those running at all
  • koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    felisean wrote: »
    but for you that doesnt work bc of whatever reason

The, "whatever" reason is that you have elite marks coming out of your ears for pretty much any other reputation, bar these. It's a bit of a nightmare when you're trying to amass enough of them for your engines and the costume unlocks etc.

YOU might be content to wait 5 days to get one piece of gear, but your solution would entail waiting nearly a month to unlock engines & shield, plus the ground gear for the costume. Some of us want to move a bit faster than that.

I'm glad you "never had much trouble" getting queues to go, but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore, likely because everyone already has what they want from the rep, but that's not the case for the op and players like myself.

A bit less, "meh, it's a l2play issue" from you I think. No-one likes smug.

koppster wrote: »
    A bit less, "meh, it's a l2play issue" from you I think. No-one likes smug.

He told you where to find a guide on the queue and where to find a group to play with. Exactly which part of that was 'smug?'
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    It's unfortunate that these instances barely queue off because they're actually pretty easy and a number don't even involve PVP, even in Elite.
    XzRTofz.gif
This discussion has been closed.