Install Arc

Ships.... performance or preference??

13»

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    That sounds pretty solid to me. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Promise of ferocity isn't that much in terms of dps, since you need some combat time for it to count. I'm honestly using it since I don't have something better in that slot through comparison.

I'm thinking of slotting Harrying Maneuvers instead of it...
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,872 Arc User
    I focus mainly on preference, I don't find it particularly exciting getting the biggest numbers possible...I find more fun in taking a ship I like and building something unique that is different from my last. I guess you can say I focus more on space Barbie than DPS.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    I do like preference over performance for a few reasons but one of the most important one is the economics of it.

Some of these "super builds" as I call them require alot of investment from doffs to abilities to the actual ships and so on that you will always be chasing that goal and for me that's not why I play.

On a side note I find that making a halfway decent ship build is a challenge but a more doable goal.

One other thing I do that for a time I would get alot of grief in the past is use a beam/torpedo build, Another was using a tac captain with a sci or eng ship.

My whole reason for this was because in the shows and the movies the ships would fire beams and torps and that's pretty much what I want for my ships.

All my captains (24 I think) are tacs. It's the one I am most familiar and comfortable with so the challenge has always been how to make a sci/eng ship work with a tac captain.

I don't begrudge anyone that wants to make their ships so powerful that they can wipe the map clean of enemies in seconds, if that's what makes you happy then by all means go for it, and that's what I think should be the overall goal of anyone that plays this game is do what you think will get you the most enjoyment out of it.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    I don't begrudge anyone that wants to make their ships so powerful that they can wipe the map clean of enemies in seconds, if that's what makes you happy then by all means go for it, and that's what I think should be the overall goal of anyone that plays this game is do what you think will get you the most enjoyment out of it.

This is how I play. To enjoy myself. And I don't think it would be very enjoyable paying a buttload of money/zen/ec/lobi to have a ship so powerful that everything melts in one shot. I like my battles to last at least a couple minutes, not a couple seconds.

That said, I don't begrudge the DPS chasers either. If it rocks their boat to disintegrate things in one salvo then that's fine. If PvP knocks their socks off, right on!

I just like to piddle around in my little ship and kill things when I need to, or whatever else I decide to do.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    I've been able to hold my own in TFOs, even advanced ones. At least I haven't been hit with an AFK, so that's something. When I do TFOs for needed marks I like to earn them and not sit around and let others earn them for me.

My DPS is probably the low end of casual playing, but it gets the job done when I need it to. I know I can do better and maybe one day I'll look to see what I can do. Maybe some better DOFFs/BOFFs and consoles.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    no...the low end of casual playing is like 5k or something​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Piloting a T5-U Nova on my dsc toon. Patiently waiting for a T6 release. Other than that, Verne on my sci main. I'm easy to keep happy ship-wise :smile:
    Then I'm not that low. I don't break 20k, more like around 12-15k when I decide to do a combatlog.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    casualsto wrote: »
    Promise of ferocity isn't that much in terms of dps, since you need some combat time for it to count. I'm honestly using it since I don't have something better in that slot through comparison.

Well, one thing seems clear - the trait that comes with the DSC Constitution is mediocre!

Very true, the trait is the only thing about that ship that isn't fantastic. Love the ship, weapons, console and BoFF layout.. the trait.. well.. nothing is perfect right? :lol:

I would respectfully disagree on Promise of Ferocity, it's one of the better DPS traits in the game. Yes, the stacks do disappear between combats so it's not perfect, but if you're on a map where you're in constant combat then it's really great. The best part about Promise is that it's a Cat2 boost and those are far more rare then standard boosts.

Another good one to consider is Strike from Shadows. Again, this one is situational because when playing alone most enemies always have you targeted. But in group runs, this can be quite nice.

In the end, they all have ups and downs. Promise requires you to stay in combat, Redirecting Arrays requires you to continue taking damage, and Strike from Shadows requires the enemies to not have you actively targeted. You really have to look at each trait and weigh them against how you're playing. In Elite Runs like HSA, Promise is hands down going to be superior, if you're playing alone.. probably Re-Directing arrays is the way to go. Just up to you and how you play.
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Well, one thing seems clear - the trait that comes with the DSC Constitution is mediocre!

Very true, the trait is the only thing about that ship that isn't fantastic. Love the ship, weapons, console and BoFF layout.. the trait.. well.. nothing is perfect right? :lol:

I would respectfully disagree on Promise of Ferocity, it's one of the better DPS traits in the game. Yes, the stacks do disappear between combats so it's not perfect, but if you're on a map where you're in constant combat then it's really great. The best part about Promise is that it's a Cat2 boost and those are far more rare then standard boosts.

Another good one to consider is Strike from Shadows. Again, this one is situational because when playing alone most enemies always have you targeted. But in group runs, this can be quite nice.

In the end, they all have ups and downs. Promise requires you to stay in combat, Redirecting Arrays requires you to continue taking damage, and Strike from Shadows requires the enemies to not have you actively targeted. You really have to look at each trait and weigh them against how you're playing. In Elite Runs like HSA, Promise is hands down going to be superior, if you're playing alone.. probably Re-Directing arrays is the way to go. Just up to you and how you play.

Actually strike from shadow works really well if you combine it with hive defense trait to spawn some pets along with exitus trait and intel team if you are alone. Intel team alone won't get most NPC enemies off you, but with exitus pure stealth boost, it can get them off you and onto the pets. Or if you have battle cloak.

Nice, those are some pretty good ideas. I didn't think about distracting them with pets first.. that's a good idea. :smile:
  • asgard47asgard47 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Look comes first, then performance, Lore last. I always attempt to keep my ship in line with the characters immersion aka roleplay. My long time fed main for example is a human tac and strong advocate of a 100% militarized starfleet who despises the ideals of TNG starfleet which, in his mind, led to unnecessary high casualties during the Borg crisis, the second Klingon war and the Dominion War. In a time of continous new wars aka STO a militarized Starfleet is the only viable way to go without sacrificing entire generations of young cadets on the altar of pacifism and exploration (he learned that during his training course). With the Iconians and Borg at the Federations doorsteps, i headcanon that he as a newly promoted admiral teamed up with Section 31 to build the U.S.S. Donnager (tribute to the expanse), a Vengeance class Dreadnought, "solely designed for combat".
    I just love this ship, except that i can't customize the bridge and interior. But it gives me what i want for my characters background (a ship designed for combat and command of a fleet during wartime) and the Vengeance is still a AAA DPS ship without being a glass canon (performance? Check). It breaks my heart that my romulan tac can't use it, but i do hope that Cryptic will eventually unlock the Vengeance for all fed aligned characters and let us all space barbie (i hate the available romulan uniforms!!!!!!!!)

Cryptic, gimme my Vengeance for my romulan characters (with customizable interior) and unlocked clothing options! Just do it! :'(
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,467 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Actually strike from shadow works really well if you combine it with hive defense trait to spawn some pets along with exitus trait and intel team if you are alone. Intel team alone won't get most NPC enemies off you, but with exitus pure stealth boost, it can get them off you and onto the pets. Or if you have battle cloak.

Who needs pets for that. Just drop an Aceton Assimilator and move it on top of a foe with the new reposition mines (forgot the actual name) power. It's loads of fun to drop AA on top of groups of enemies from 10Km away.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    yeah...i see those traits becoming a possible must-have for those energy types if the stats are good and there's no idiotic ICD that's like 5x the duration​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    That sounds pretty solid to me. :smile:

May need to consider dropping one of those traits. The new Starship Trait - Heart of Sol - from the upcoming (at the time of this post) temporal warship sounds like one that'd benefit me here. To quote:

Starship Trait - Heart of Sol

When activating Attack Pattern: Beta or any Temporal Operative Boff Ability, you will gain a boost to Energy Weapon Haste and Directed Energy Phaser Weapon Damage for a short duration.

I may drop 'Promise of Ferocity' for that one.

Need to see how good the stats will be and how it performs in action but the traits surely read well. Console could be interesting too. :)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.