test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Discovery plotline - too much rehash of the same

jsdc002jsdc002 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
I have played through pretty much the entire game. I started in 2015 or so and took a long break from March 2017-Oct 2018. The game has been around since 2010. What I noticed was that the Plausibility of Reason which includes a prison break is way too much like the episode Facility 4028 - another jail break with malfunctioning automated systems.

Repel boarders scenarios - also done to death. The Gamma Quadrant storyline had a lot of promise which I felt was not done to death.

Another issue with the Discovery gameplay is that there are fewer respawn points. I "died" and pretty much had to walk through the entire map. This is pretty annoying because just like hiking in real life, I hate to walk through the same hill again in the same day.

Does anyone else feel the same?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Actually I think it was Facility 2047 or something along those lines.

Also I think 2047 was deliberately sabotaged via Klingon virus on top of Klingons rescuing their own. 4028 was collateral damage from a Jem'Hadar attack while the player is actually releasing the Founder.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    jsdc002 wrote: »

I do not.

In my opinion, the Gamma Arc and the Discovery Arc are both stellar. The stories are interesting, the missions are fun, and the voice acting and visuals are top notch.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Anything would have "a bit more to the scenario" than the space battle of Facility 4028. You don't even fire or take a shot in that one. The action is all in the cutscene.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I thought the second new Disco mission was probably the most advanced/interestingly designed mission so far. Some of the Gamma ones were close. The first new Disco felt very abbreviated to me.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User

I do not.

In my opinion, the Gamma Arc and the Discovery Arc are both stellar. The stories are interesting, the missions are fun, and the voice acting and visuals are top notch.

I like the disco related missions but I really wouldn't call the arc stellar. The episodes are good, very good for the most part but the narrative (if there is one) is a jumbled mess.

Supposedly J'Ula jumped into the 25th century. Well good to know because all we've been doing is fighting her in the past or in "simulations" or whatever with zero actual story progression. Captain Killy was here because..... they had Mary Wiseman available? Having Lorca & Landry in STO is great (Lorca was the best part of DSC season 1) but they don't really serve a point. I get it, it's for fanservice but once again it just dilutes the barely existing narrative even further.
    Honestly I'm really looking forward to the point when the DSC craze is over.
  • Options
    If you play them on a Discovery character, its actually filling in more events before the attack on Starbase 1.
    For all our other characters we're reenacting events from the war. But our Discovery characters LIVED it. The Mirror Discovery missions are in the 25th Century though and have given us an antagonist that may very well be better than Mirror Leeta. Hell... we don't know if Captain Tilly will team up with Admiral Leeta or we end up with a 3 way firefight between Tilly, Leeta, and us.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

I do not.

I like the disco related missions but I really wouldn't call the arc stellar. The episodes are good, very good for the most part but the narrative (if there is one) is a jumbled mess.

Supposedly J'Ula jumped into the 25th century. Well good to know because all we've been doing is fighting her in the past or in "simulations" or whatever with zero actual story progression. Captain Killy was here because..... they had Mary Wiseman available? Having Lorca & Landry in STO is great (Lorca was the best part of DSC season 1) but they don't really serve a point. I get it, it's for fanservice but once again it just dilutes the barely existing narrative even further.
    Honestly I'm really looking forward to the point when the DSC craze is over.

There's actually a purpose to all the discovery missions that we've had so far.

the double mission featuring Lorca, Landry and mirror Lorca was there to establish some backstory for Landry and how she got to be so cold, while also showing the difference in Lorca between two episodes (though anyone whom didn't watch Discovery wouldn't understand the shift in his behavior).

Secrets was all about telling a prequel story about the U.S.S. Glenn, while setting the stage for J'Ula to devise a weapon to use in Downfall, which we know brings her to 2409/2410.

Mirror of Discovery's two episodes are to introduce Mirror Tilly as a boss for a future storyline.

Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but Discovery likely won't be over anytime soon. It sounds like we've only just started. Most of what we'll see will be in 2410 instead of the past.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    oh goodness.. the words threeway, Killy and Leeta made me go somewhere very naughty
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Actually I think it was Facility 2047 or something along those lines.

Also I think 2047 was deliberately sabotaged via Klingon virus on top of Klingons rescuing their own. 4028 was collateral damage from a Jem'Hadar attack while the player is actually releasing the Founder.
    Yeah Aakar had a computer virus embedded in his DNA. So any time a Federation computer system sequenced his DNA the virus would infect the computer.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    You died?!? In this easy as all heck game? Tell me you were on elite at the very least. Personally I think there should be NO respawn points. If you die, start ALL over again. At least than death may mean something.
    Maybe they create a hardcore mode just for you. Or play eve online if you want death to mean so much.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

Yes and no. The thing is they aren't released in chronological order so the way we play them is a mess. As for the way they will be later on, the jury is still out.

As for respawn points (yes, I occasionally die): it's a mixed bag. Some have very close by respawn points, others will make you cover the whole map again.

And the "Get the founder out" jail mission doesn't have a playable space part IIRC. You arrive (fly ship until interact) before the jail part, and only get a cutscene afterwards.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    Whether I play at the easy level or not, this game is starting to bore me. 4028/ 2047, to me it's just the same idea, just different characters. And I absolutely despise Discovery and everything this version of Star Trek stands for. I did read the preview for the Gorns; that holds some promise. Wait and see.
  • Options
    I do agree that the voice acting is top notch. Kerwin's death in the cut scene (spoiler) - as a soldier, never expose yourself on the horizon, unless you want to ride in the Elysian Fields where the pleasant planes reaches to the horizon and all is peaceful.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @markhawkman said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > Actually I think it was Facility 2047 or something along those lines.
    >
    > Also I think 2047 was deliberately sabotaged via Klingon virus on top of Klingons rescuing their own. 4028 was collateral damage from a Jem'Hadar attack while the player is actually releasing the Founder.
    >
    > Yeah Aakar had a computer virus embedded in his DNA. So any time a Federation computer system sequenced his DNA the virus would infect the computer.

A tactic seen in TNG's The Drumhead.
    J'dan didn't have a computer virus, just inert data. It's a similar concept though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Yea... hell... the pilot for Enterprise showed Genetic Data Storage. Klaang had data vital to the Empire embedded in his DNA.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I have played through pretty much the entire game. I started in 2015 or so and took a long break from March 2017-Oct 2018. The game has been around since 2010. What I noticed was that the Plausibility of Reason which includes a prison break is way too much like the episode Facility 4028 - another jail break with malfunctioning automated systems.

Repel boarders scenarios - also done to death. The Gamma Quadrant storyline had a lot of promise which I felt was not done to death.

Another issue with the Discovery gameplay is that there are fewer respawn points. I "died" and pretty much had to walk through the entire map. This is pretty annoying because just like hiking in real life, I hate to walk through the same hill again in the same day.

Latest mission is basically Coliseum 2: Electric Boogaloo. From the fetch parts, fighting some big monster, to babysitting someone who yammers a lot, to camping in a cave with at least 1 person that you want to stab or pepper with ranged weapons fire repeatedly.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

Latest mission is basically Coliseum 2: Electric Boogaloo. From the fetch parts, fighting some big monster, to babysitting someone who yammers a lot, to camping in a cave with at least 1 person that you want to stab or pepper with ranged weapons fire repeatedly.

That mission did not remind me of Coliseum in any way.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

That mission did not remind me of Coliseum in any way.

Me neither but he has a point, both missions feature a cave... :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    In the end it's a whole reskin of the Gamma Quadrant arc: Storm Clouds Gather had broken boff pathfinding, Armistice had a cave, The Search had another cave, Doomed to Repeat had enemies to shoot at, Quark's Lucky Seven looked great, Tenebris Torquent had yet another cave. Wake up sheeple, they're selling us the same mission again.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Plato had a cave. These are all just shadows of the Platonic Ideal Cave.

Oh, I played through Coliseum again the other day. You may be pleased to know they re-recorded all of Slamek's VA. He no longer spends the entire trip whining; now he actually tries to sound ingratiating, like he wants to worm his way into your confidence. (I swear, if I heard him say he was "tired of this life" one more time, I was going to going to help him out with that little problem myself!)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yes, I noticed that Slamek sounded different. No longer whiny and annoying. He actually sounds halfway decent now.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    Siamek was brainwashed into working for Hakeev just like they try to do to a Romulan toon in the LoR storyline.......don’t get why people hate him so.

I have to hand it to Cryptic, Ripsote was actually pretty good, and the concept behind it is far better than the drivel CBS came up with for the Klingon War.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    If you play them on a Discovery character, its actually filling in more events before the attack on Starbase 1.
    For all our other characters we're reenacting events from the war. But our Discovery characters LIVED it. The Mirror Discovery missions are in the 25th Century though and have given us an antagonist that may very well be better than Mirror Leeta. Hell... we don't know if Captain Tilly will team up with Admiral Leeta or we end up with a 3 way firefight between Tilly, Leeta, and us.

I do like captain Killy actually. She is kinda fun. But really saying she is better than mirror Leeta isn't saying much in my book. Mirror Leeta kinda comes off cookie cutter villian to be honest to me. I mean I don't hate mirror Leeta...but she is just meh, she is there kind of deal for me.
    At least Killy isn't as hammy as Leeta. "FACE THE WRATH OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE!"
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Siamek was brainwashed into working for Hakeev just like they try to do to a Romulan toon in the LoR storyline.......don’t get why people hate him so.
    Well, partly it's because he's a traitorous little worm, which there are hints of from the very moment you meet him in the Romulan storyline (when he's alone next to a suspiciously-destroyed transmitter, and refuses to even help to attempt to repair it), but mostly I think it's because of what he sounds like when you meet him later (the lines weren't voiced before, so every time he spoke the text box was prefaced with this whiny little bustard saying things like "It's too bright here" (even during your nighttime escape from the Coliseum!) and "I tire of this life". Over and over and over and...).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.