test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Memories of the Foundry

Comments

• pomonagrange#3097 pomonagrange Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    shevet wrote: »
    I only managed to make two Foundry missions, and one of them always broke after every update (something about the event handling on a couple of critical NPCs)… what I might do is write up a fanfic for each one. Out of my ever-growing stable of characters, I think T'Pia could cope with the grimness of "No Way Back", and Ronnie Grau would be a natural for "Recipe for Success".

I'm game for anything that brings Ronnie Grau back into one of your stories, Shevet. I know she probably needs a break every now and then, but her personality (like that of your Pakled character) is right up my alley. Even better - maybe you should have Ronnie and the Pakled team up. If that happened, I would be after you for the next chapter at least once a day. Or maybe something like "Lethal Weapon" or "Beverly Hills Cop" mixed with Monty Python ("Holy Grail" and "How Not To Be Seen" would do) in the STO universe (unless you've already written anything like that).
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I've been fortunate enough to have had two high points in the foundry since getting started on my first mission in December 2013: making Omnitabula (2014-15), and working on Transcendence with Duncanidaho and P_Sutherland (2016-19ish).

Perhaps ironically, while I had high hopes for both projects as they were being made neither really lived up to their full potential when out in the wild. Omnitabula was rather long and wordy, and compounding its problems was that half the time was spent establishing characters and things. Tried fixing these things when I could, but I'm ultimately not a gifted storyteller. Transcendence couldn't be finished due to various issues in the editor as well as real life being real life. A shame since it was supposed to have quite the thread that developed before, during, and maybe even after the series launched.

Clearly, my performance with epic sagas was less than optimal, but I will still remember the foundry as having been the best part of the game for me.

Will I go on to write a novel someday? Eh, probably not.

Edit: Also, the spotlight was nice. So, three high points. :smile:
    Post edited by starfarertheta on
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Will I go on to write a novel someday? Eh, probably not.

You'll keep writing short stories whether you like it or not.

*Cracks knuckles*

:tongue:
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I've never really done much Foundry content for the last few years, though lately I have been running 'Ground Captains 10 Waves'. I've learned about some Content from this Thread.

Even though you finish up the Endeavor before you complete the 10 Waves Mission, I still complete the 10 Waves. You only get some equipment drops but you get to fight 10 different opponents with their adds. The Heralds are the last opponent.

Better than sleeping with the fishes, I guess.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • myobxinfinitymyobxinfinity Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    My favorite memory was a really cool foundry mission with an experimental time-loop gameplay mechanic that appeared nowhere else in the game, to my knowledge. The mission presented you with an impossible situation and blew up your ship, and then reset to the moment before your critical decision, and gave you a new option in the dialogue box to avoid that fate, then presented a new and different no-win scenario. I think there were 4 or 5 resets altogether, and it felt very much like some of the TNG/DS9/VOY episodes.

I also remember that mission with some humor because I replayed it after the Iconian shield was introduced, but before the cooldown on its hot-restart was nerfed. One of the unwinnable scenarios was a fight against a klingon fleet in a nebula that disabled your shields. Except my shields turned themselves right back on each time they got turned off, so I had shield and the klinks didn't. The poor mission didn't know what to do when I won the unwinnable scenario. :tongue:
  • myobxinfinitymyobxinfinity Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I should also mention a mission that had a single ground map with some normal gravity sections and some zero-g sections. It had floaters and solonae space suit thrusters both able to function in the zero-g part, and you could transition between the sections at will. Very cool, and something the main game still tragically ignores for the most part.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Here something we can all never forget.

Of Heart and Minds.

This was originally a player built episode via the foundry.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I thought it was a dev build episode, but spare time, little resources?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Yeah, the wiki says "Hearts and Minds" was made by Jesse Heinig during off time.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, the wiki says "Hearts and Minds" was made by Jesse Heinig during off time.

Honorary Foundry mission? It is embodying the general creation principles. ;)

As an aside here: Hearts and Minds provided a major plot point for my first mission and one of the characters (a clone creating using the same tech, though for a very different agenda) went on to lead both my SSF and AEI series. Despite being a very short mission it did stick with me to the point of notable creative inspiration (punching above the weight of where it fit into the overall STO arc.) It also provided a great example for pacing and how to balance combat and explorative story telling. In my last mission (a send off to SSF built after the Sunset announcement) I included Jesse's Kelkrit Supremacy from their Pathfinder RPG adventure as a point of circularity (and a counterpoint on all the diplomatic conferences we've gone to in STO. :tongue: )

Naturally Cryptic set the baseline for Foundry work but what I liked best about how Foundry authors integrated STO content is that we could go back and dig into the small moments, facets, and plot threads. For me, it gave the 2409/2410 setting the depth and breadth to live like any other era in Trek (despite natural development limitations. See for example the ICO anthology or the take on the FED from Purity/Photonomy or the seedier sides of the galaxy in Smuggler's Life for Me.) And that'll always stick with me in my appreciation of Trek (STO is not only a part but it's a special part that brought creators and fans together in a shared story telling experience.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I published all my unfinished missions last night if anyone wants to play them.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    I'm working with a free version of bandicam to help preserve the foundry. Currently on the purity series. If there is anyone willing to assist, let's coordinate. If there are any particular mission you want saved, let me know.

Authors and streamers are coordinating on an open sign-up page for authors to post their missions for anyone else to record. Here's a link to said page, if you're looking for more missions to run just sign off next to an open mission and X when you've finished recording. After the sunset we're planning on making an aggregate list of all missions that have been recorded, plus links to their video. Let us know where we can find what you're working on. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dd1xQfrjwpH8l-Kz7RtBipdBkwwTFAyIOp2aRNW5JpQ

(Most authors are very, very busy with their own preservation efforts and we have more authors posting ATM than we have people to film, so any help would be appreciated.)

Also, feel free to link to your channel or playlist with Foundry content over in the "keeping up with the Foundry" thread stickied on this forum.

Would like to join in with this. What's a good, easy recording program for someone who's never used one before? Especially, if anyone knows, one for Linux?

And can people other than authors add missions to the list? I'd like to nominate the "Time the Enemy" trilogy by Havraha, and "Talking to Old Soldiers" by SableWraith (a single, shortish one, but very, very good).

I'm working with a free version of bandicam to help preserve the foundry. Currently on the purity series. If there is anyone willing to assist, let's coordinate. If there are any particular mission you want saved, let me know.

Authors and streamers are coordinating on an open sign-up page for authors to post their missions for anyone else to record. Here's a link to said page, if you're looking for more missions to run just sign off next to an open mission and X when you've finished recording. After the sunset we're planning on making an aggregate list of all missions that have been recorded, plus links to their video. Let us know where we can find what you're working on. :)

(Most authors are very, very busy with their own preservation efforts and we have more authors posting ATM than we have people to film, so any help would be appreciated.)

Also, feel free to link to your channel or playlist with Foundry content over in the "keeping up with the Foundry" thread stickied on this forum.

Would like to join in with this. Can anyone recommend a good, easy recording program for someone who's never used one before? Especially, if anyone knows, one for Linux?

Can people who aren't the authors add missions to the list? I'd like to nominate the "Time the Enemy" trilogy by Havraha, and "Talking to Old Soldiers" by SableWraith (a single, shortish mission, but very, very good).

Would like to join in with this. Can anyone recommend a good, easy recording program for someone who's never used one before? Especially, if anyone knows, one for Linux?

Can people who aren't the authors add missions to the list? I'd like to nominate the "Time the Enemy" trilogy by Havraha, and "Talking to Old Soldiers" by SableWraith (a single, shortish mission, but very, very good).
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    wombat140 wrote: »

Open Broadcast Software, or OBS.

Streamlabs is another, but a bit more involved in setup and such.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    The one thing I enjoyed about the foundry is there were people out there that made accolade missions to help with the kills in the endeavors. and that was of great help. I thank all those who created the accolade specific missions.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I really enjoyed making new maps on the Foundry. I had a couple that I spent a lot of time on just create something for myself. I am sad to see it go, but at least, I took a few pictures to keep the memories. :'(
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
    edited April 2019
    For those wanting some choice Foundry community moments (including Kael and Zero) here's a link to the twitch replay to the Foundry Roundtable's Sunset special/farewell stream. There were some highlights here which will definitely stick with me (particularly the XR-377/Kael segment and watching myself get killed by Lt. Tardigrade thanks to Admiral Aaron.)

~0:37 - Admiral Aaron (Resistance, Adrift)
    ~1:50 - XR-377 (Plague of Barclays)
    ~2:07 - Ambassador Kael (still Plague of Barclays)
    ~3:52 - Pax Federatica (Thieves in the Night)
    ~5:22 - Garthon of Legion of Myth (Shattered Relic)
    ~6:57 - Zeronius Rex (Somewhere in Time)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • wolfkaboomthe1stwolfkaboomthe1st Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    i have made this post for the purpose of expressing dissatisfaction with the removal of the foundry its the reason i started playing the game and one of the reasons i payed for a life time sub
    i know i sucked at making missions compared to the spotlight players but i loved making the maps but now its gone.

now to point out i know that its unlikely my post here will even be acknowledged let alone have it brought back but i still want to express my dissatisfaction with its removal with the following negative emoji :(:(:(:(:(

as the opening post said i cant have all gloom in my post i liked foundry for its map making which when mixed with demo record allowed me to take some nice pictures like (hopefully) the following picture
    bM3PPVZ.png
  • yohan#3393 yohan Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out- BMR)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Memories are unmutual. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited April 2019
    as the opening post said i cant have all gloom in my post i liked foundry for its map making which when mixed with demo record allowed me to take some nice pictures like (hopefully) the following picture

Heads up: recent demorecords of Foundry missions still work. If you have the file you can have a look. Demorecord files tend to become incompatible with the game in pretty short order so be sure to get any last visits in before the next patch (to be sure.)

If you had any Foundry missions in your mission journal at the time of sunset those are also still playable.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'm gonna be uploading over the next few weeks a bunch of recordings I made, but to start off is one that I managed to get up earlier this week:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    Defense of Starbase 57 was my favorite. Old school rescue of a research facility from the Borg.
    Killing Borg on the old ESD and inside a Cube.

Found this video from timber wolf on it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWjRXCKkwq0
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • powskierpowskier Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I did the chain that started at DS9

was one the Best adventures I ever did in 'any' game's campaign

I forget the name- was the one where Starfleet had you declared a Renegade, and for 4-5 episodes you fight against a variety of enemy ,while discovering how to restore your good name ,while uncovering the plot

As an old Dungeon Master>i suggest STO check that mission out for an small expansion feature
    powskier wrote: »
    I forget the name- was the one where Starfleet had you declared a Renegade, and for 4-5 episodes you fight against a variety of enemy ,while discovering how to restore your good name ,while uncovering the plot

If it involved the Federation president (Okeg) that was probably the Purity series. I can link off a liveplay (uploaded to youtube) if you'd like to hold onto it.

• mckurland91mckurland91 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    As Spock was fond of saying, "There are always possibilities." If there's any truth to that saying, the Foundry might become part of the "Star Trek Online" experience once again in the future. "It's not really dead, as long as we remember it."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User