What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Memories of the Foundry

124»

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    As Spock was fond of saying, "There are always possibilities." If there's any truth to that saying, the Foundry might become part of the "Star Trek Online" experience once again in the future. "It's not really dead, as long as we remember it."

While there is possibilities, this one doesn't seem probable at this point, I'd expect some more famous Foundry missions to become Cryptic made ones sooner even if it's a "total rebuild based on the orginal script" opposed to conversion. That said as long we keep the spirit of the Foundry alive it's not dead.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    As Spock was fond of saying, "There are always possibilities." If there's any truth to that saying, the Foundry might become part of the "Star Trek Online" experience once again in the future. "It's not really dead, as long as we remember it."

While there is possibilities, this one doesn't seem probable at this point, I'd expect some more famous Foundry missions to become Cryptic made ones sooner even if it's a "total rebuild based on the orginal script" opposed to conversion. That said as long we keep the spirit of the Foundry alive it's not dead.

Sometime in the near future I'll talk to folks about how to keep the spirit going in a more dedicated way. Things have been pretty quiet lately and things feel like they're slipping more than they should. We have some amazing creators, we need to do right by them.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User

Sometime in the near future I'll talk to folks about how to keep the spirit going in a more dedicated way. Things have been pretty quiet lately and things feel like they're slipping more than they should. We have some amazing creators, we need to do right by them.

Until we have some ideas I'll just keep practicing here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1248549/fanfic-starfleet-resource-acquisition-division
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

I've been working on how to turn some of the ideas I had into stories or similar but nothing I'd want to show to other people yet.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    https://youtu.be/TP38M5CCpZ8
    https://youtu.be/ZJ3zAVM29tw
    I finally got Adwaita Incursion uploaded to Youtube.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    richyrich1991richyrich1991 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    I've decided to resurrect the villain of one of my foundry missions "The Raptor's Talon" as my new Romulan main.

This is Ferian, a member of the Tal Shiar trying to fill in the power vacuum left behind after Hakeev's death & Sela's disappearance.

RRCtbXu.jpg

I unfortunately never got to finish this series (or my Mirror Universe one), maybe one day I'll get another chance, but until then I can at least play as one of my original characters 🙂
    "As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
    This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Victory is Life!"
    njflWNG.jpg
  • Options
    dm19deltadm19delta Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    I had one that a mission that I was working on before the Foundry was cased. I was inspired by the RR mission where you have to decipher Tal Shiar intelligence in your ready room. One of the files you read concerns a growing Romulan movement inspired by the writings of Karl Marx. This mission was going to be the first in a series where the player has to investigate rumors of a new Romulan faction vying for control over the Romulan people. This series would eventually end with the new Romulan People's Republic squaring off with the Romulan Republic. Maybe they'll bring something like the Foundry back in the future, and we'll get another chance to publish our ideas.
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    It's been over 4 months now that the Foundry is gone, and I still think this was a bad, bad move... STO has never reached such a low level of interest for me before that, and believe me when I say it pains me to say such things, because I do love Star Trek.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I recently did a review of STO on the Legion of Myth livestream (they're the folks who also did a lot of Foundry plays with full narration and other hijinks). This included a piece about the Foundry and how it affected me at the time (a retrospective to help keep the memories going and mention a few things I'm not sure made it to the Foundry roundtable episodes.)

https://youtu.be/zGisPsKw9RA

Moving forward I'm looking to getting back into short story writing. Also Lt. Tardigrade full book (successor to my AEI stuff...evil laugh.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I remember making some fek'ihr holiday type things as them being reindeer lol but I never finished them. I am kind of hoping that the devs had the same idea and have made a new event like a fek'ihr reindeer stampede that makes peppermint ketracel spray everywhere making a really really slippery and sticky event. I had some fun with it but it was based on season 2-3 tech mostly so it was eventually going to be laid to rest with new vision we seem to have with the game. It is a good thing to move forward with better things to bring enjoyment of the game for everyone and allowing the game to continue on.
  • Options
    sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I remember my two favorite foundry missions to play. They were titled A Will and a Barclay and First Cause, Then Effect. I don't remember the names of the authors.
    I remember the former being a hilariously random mission designed to provide an in-universe explanation for an old bug known as the Cloned Bridge Officers bug.
    The later was an interesting "Groundhog Day" Loop story about saving a Federation dignitary from Klingons while there was a traitor among the dignitary's security team.
  • Options
    starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    sci321 wrote: »
    I remember my two favorite foundry missions to play. They were titled A Will and a Barclay and First Cause, Then Effect. I don't remember the names of the authors.
    I remember the former being a hilariously random mission designed to provide an in-universe explanation for an old bug known as the Cloned Bridge Officers bug.
    The later was an interesting "Groundhog Day" Loop story about saving a Federation dignitary from Klingons while there was a traitor among the dignitary's security team.

Authors were XR-377 and RogueEnterprise respectively. :) And yes, those missions were great! Both were among the first UGC missions I've played and they had a huge role in motivating me to get into the foundry.