test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it possible to roll every queue *TFO* we currently have in to a battlezone?

mozzellimozzelli Member Posts: 61 Arc User
Somethings I've been thinking on and wondering if its possible Instead of loading in to queues why not just get rid of them and have them be scaling battle zones based on who's currently in zone. You can keep the objectives you have for each queue just after its complete reinforcements for the enemy faction show up and you can choose to warp out or keep fighting at which point its just an endless battle you can choose to end when you like.

The way Ive been thinking about it instead of queuing just assign them to individual planets or regions of space like the Azura red alert and Azura nebula rescue would be attached to the Azura Nebula itself in the same way the badlands hosts the mirror invasion zone. I know in some instances this is already the case. Im talking on a complete scale to completely get rid of queuing. This would actually make all the planets on the star map useful.

This has been on my mind for a while as if you arent grinding there isnt much to do for fun really in sto outside of content drops.
Somtimes you just want to have a massive battle with no restrictions.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,037 Community Moderator
    The way the STFs are set up... no. I don't see how converting them into open battlezones will actually work. Could they make a corresponding Battlezone for each Rep track? Possibly. We've got one for Dyson, Undine, Terran/Temporal, and Lukari. Technically we could consider Delta, New Romulus, Nukara, and Omega to have one as well, but they're set up differently, and don't actually have capture zones like the other battlezones.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Oh im not talking capture zones etc. Im talking you go in you do the queue objectives with whoever is in the zone in the same way you go in to any of the battlezones with whoever is there it scales to that number. Then after its complete if you stay that enemy faction spawns in and you fight for however long you like and leave when you like.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,519 Arc User
    mozzelli wrote: »
    Oh im not talking capture zones etc. Im talking you go in you do the queue objectives with whoever is in the zone in the same way you go in to any of the battlezones with whoever is there it scales to that number. Then after its complete if you stay that enemy faction spawns in and you fight for however long you like and leave when you like.

One problem is that you will eventually leave in the middle of a TFO, abandoning your team.

Queues are too empty to guarantee someone will replace you quickly enough so that the TFO sequence isn't ruined for those other players.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    They actually DID work like that way back when. Then they invented queues and everything was converted over. Red Alerts were the last.

Some of the content (like the Alerts) did indeed work better with the original free-to-enter format. Though it obviously wouldn't work with these newfangled timed queues where the whole point is for the players to be there for X minutes.
  • Options
    mozzelli wrote: »

One problem is that you will eventually leave in the middle of a TFO, abandoning your team.

Queues are too empty to guarantee someone will replace you quickly enough so that the TFO sequence isn't ruined for those other players.

Im thinking if someone leaves the zone re-scales for the people in zone
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    They actually DID work like that way back when. Then they invented queues and everything was converted over. Red Alerts were the last.

Some of the content (like the Alerts) did indeed work better with the original free-to-enter format. Though it obviously wouldn't work with these newfangled timed queues where the whole point is for the players to be there for X minutes.

Did they? Im curious why it failed queue's died a painful death randoms brought it back but a battlezone would have been far more active
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,514 Arc User
    The ques never died, they just had everyone clumped up into a small fraction of them (like the Tholian and Borg RAs) which were pure combat instead of silly tug of war and other "American ninja warrior"-like games translated to space combat and other scenarios where the irritation outweighed the reward.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Delta/Iconian in the Kobali BZ.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,340 Community Moderator
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The way the STFs are set up... no. I don't see how converting them into open battlezones will actually work. Could they make a corresponding Battlezone for each Rep track? Possibly. We've got one for Dyson, Undine, Terran/Temporal, and Lukari. Technically we could consider Delta, New Romulus, Nukara, and Omega to have one as well, but they're set up differently, and don't actually have capture zones like the other battlezones.

If we're talking open-world-anyone-can-join-in-at-anytime combat, then we also have: Delta has Kobali Prime, Romulan has New Romulus, Nukara has Nukara Prime, Omega has Defera (which admittedly needs work, but it's there).
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

If we're talking open-world-anyone-can-join-in-at-anytime combat, then we also have: Delta has Kobali Prime, Romulan has New Romulus, Nukara has Nukara Prime, Omega has Defera (which admittedly needs work, but it's there).

Im talking space queues the ground open queues arent so bad actally they need major improvments but they work
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    An STF based battlezone?

Oh dear god no!

The gamma waiting zone was bad enough without wanting to expand that system to cover others. Battlezones should be something you can drop into and participate in without having to wait for other people to join and accept.

Only tweak I can think of would be to maybe add a daily quest/objective/thing to each one similar to how kobalistan has the mission arc that gives (albeit minimal) rewards or the kill quests for the dyson ground zone. Or maybe add in random patrolling minibosses that require a lot more effort than hitting the space bar once to take out.
  • Options
    An STF based battlezone?

Oh dear god no!

The gamma waiting zone was bad enough without wanting to expand that system to cover others. Battlezones should be something you can drop into and participate in without having to wait for other people to join and accept.

Only tweak I can think of would be to maybe add a daily quest/objective/thing to each one similar to how kobalistan has the mission arc that gives (albeit minimal) rewards or the kill quests for the dyson ground zone. Or maybe add in random patrolling minibosses that require a lot more effort than hitting the space bar once to take out.

Oh ABSOLUTELY AGREE no waiting though this would be an open zone you warp in to and out of at will similar to the badlands terran zone
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Well first idea is somewhat covered by personal endeavors, only with a random rotation on what you need to kill (covering the whole game). 2 might be fun as a sector block update, include more spontaneous events and missions to help build out a sense of exploration (which we had under the Foundry top 3 system) as the next evolution of the sector battlezone.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
This discussion has been closed.