test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Wars Girl discussing Captain Marvel

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    So Captain Marvel's main problem is that it is suffering from extremely lousy marketing. Good to know.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    https://youtu.be/tGu0BtKHJKA

Rumours are suggusting Brie Larson might get replaced as Captain Marvel in the future. Also its being said that Disney CEO is not happy with Brie and Captain Marvel. Neither is at least part of the cast of the Avengers, especially Elizabeth Olsen aka Scarlett Witch who BTW is my favourite of the Avengers.

Truth is Scarlett Witch deserved her own movie and after her mini series I hope she gets it.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Here's hoping Capt. Rambeau gets a shot at the role. Love to see a New Orleans native on screen.

If so, I would hope they actually use a New Orleans accent, which I have never seen on TV or in the movies. Usually we get something like Scott Bakula's Southern Drawl or Remy LeBeau's Cajun. For those who don't know, Louisiana has three distinct accents:

Arkansippi, (Country,) which is a Southern drawl found everywhere north of Interstate 10

Cajun, which is found everywhere south of Interstate 10, fading to Texan in the far West of the state

Yat, which is localized around New Orleans. Yat is very closely related to the famous Bronx accent due to the exact same influences. During the Italian, German, and Eastern European migrations into New York, the exact same migrations were happening in the second-largest port city in the US at the time. (I have been accused multiple times in my globe-trotting days of being from New York.) So, think New York accent with hot sauce. Oh, and we say y'all.
  • Options
    > @brian334 said:
    > Here's hoping Capt. Rambeau gets a shot at the role. Love to see a New Orleans native on screen.
    >
    > If so, I would hope they actually use a New Orleans accent, which I have never seen on TV or in the movies. Usually we get something like Scott Bakula's Southern Drawl or Remy LeBeau's Cajun. For those who don't know, Louisiana has three distinct accents:
    >
    > Arkansippi, (Country,) which is a Southern drawl found everywhere north of Interstate 10
    >
    > Cajun, which is found everywhere south of Interstate 10, fading to Texan in the far West of the state
    >
    > Yat, which is localized around New Orleans. Yat is very closely related to the famous Bronx accent due to the exact same influences. During the Italian, German, and Eastern European migrations into New York, the exact same migrations were happening in the second-largest port city in the US at the time. (I have been accused multiple times in my globe-trotting days of being from New York.) So, think New York accent with hot sauce. Oh, and we say y'all.

Fascinating, thank you.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    so it's at least up to a video-store rental level of good?

It is exactly in line with the other movies in the series. You have a character's origin story which is really no different from the others, it has a good chemistry of the actors and a fair balance between humour and serious tones like Thor or Guardians have as well. If you like the other films, there is no reason this would be significantly different.

If you mean to ask if it was worth joining a hysterical anti-hype train and erecting a straw(wo)man to beat down in blind rage while promoting youtube channels I'd say no, it wasn't. But that was clear from the beginning.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/uElOUeMXjOg

I know this is kind of political, but its a politician that wants to censor reviews of Captain Marvel, so its completely related to this thread topic, not a tangent. I don't know how that falls into the rules or not honestly.
  • Options
    Could you guys please stop to blatantly promote random youtube channels and just post facts with actual sources? When I do a quick google-fu about either the latter or the "recast rumour" all I find are these videos. Literally.

Since when became the posting of youtube videos without any kind of comment something acceptable? Or is it only when the videos in question work in your favour, like those pseudoscience videos?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    I haven’t read through all of the recent comments, but is Captain Marvel worth watching or is it a pile of TRIBBLE?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It's really amazing what kind of weird rumormill videos appear out of nowhere in this threads.

But maybe what's even weirder is that people think that this is a good way to present information in a forum. Videos are extremely annoying, because they cost a lot of time to watch, and their information content is extremely sparse. SOme say a picture is worth more than 1,000 words, but I am afraid it does not actually scale up when there 24 pictures per second over 12 minutes.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/cmBjo_YW_2U a critic is caught on tape admitting to shilling for Captain Marvel.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    VIDEO Post

And he does it again?! Probably a write-only thread...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    On the one claw all critics are shills. On the other claw, you judge the movie you haven't seen based on youtube critics. Impressive.

EDIT: Also, Marvel certainly haven't stirred any controversy. This thing is only kept alive by hysteria and wild speculations by the side that claims they are the victims of evil politicization.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    > @patrickngo said:
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    >
    > VIDEO Post
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And he does it again?! Probably a write-only thread...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > awww...you also complain about 'Walls of words' posts. given that this whole thing BEGINS with a youtuber and her videos, I think you maybe are in the wrong thread for quiet reading pleasures.

> @patrickngo said:
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    >
    > VIDEO Post
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And he does it again?! Probably a write-only thread...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > awww...you also complain about 'Walls of words' posts. given that this whole thing BEGINS with a youtuber and her videos, I think you maybe are in the wrong thread for quiet reading pleasures.

Bawhahahaha, excellent point.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Could you guys please stop to blatantly promote random youtube channels and just post facts with actual sources? When I do a quick google-fu about either the latter or the "recast rumour" all I find are these videos. Literally.

Since when became the posting of youtube videos without any kind of comment something acceptable? Or is it only when the videos in question work in your favour, like those pseudoscience videos?​​

Kinda agree with you targ. YouTube vids that latch onto rumors and make them bigger than they really are... are gonna be annoying. The main thing some YouTubers want... is more views and more subscribers. There are a few who actually sound like they care about their content, but there are those who are just in it for the numbers and will make a big thing about even the smallest rumor or make like their opinion is Word of God. *cough*Midnight's Edge*cough*

I don't really follow any of these hype channels. I typically watched things like Man at Arms, or a guy working on an Army Men mod for Men of War, or guys who focus on certain subjects like how badly designed the Mandator IV Dreadnought is in The Last Jedi.

Wich by the way... is actually a HORRIBLE design based on how it was deployed. Totally weak Point Defenses, absolutely no point defense weapons on the ventral side to protect the big guns, thrown out front with little to no protection... got wrek'd by one hotshot X-Wing stripping ALL of its point defense with little effort and one lucky bomber hitting a rather blatant bullseye. But that's a topic for another day.

Occasionally I might watch an opinion piece on something upcoming like Godzilla, like if they believe we might see a new Kaiju and have something resembling evidence to show it is possible, but I always take those with a grain of salt because I know they're only working off basically the same information everyone else currently has access to.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Playing with rumors and ideas is fun. Taking them seriously is bad for your heart. But I have to draw the line at those kids who talk so fast you have to wonder if they are talking while inhaling.

I have to admit to a certain degree of curiosity about where Marvel goes from here. Their current cast of actors is getting older and success has allowed them to demand higher and higher salaries. Eventually they are going to need to be replaced, or at least have their roles reduced significantly. Meanwhile there are hundreds of superheroes waiting in the wings for their backstory to come out. Thousands if you count the Uncanny X-Men.

(I wonder if Storm is a native of Wakanda?)

Of all the incarnations of Ms./Captain Marvel my favorite is Rogue. Unfortunately, contracts and such, plus the fact that she wasn't ever in any of the Avenger-centric Marvel films, made her impossible to put into Endgame, but man, if Rogue had been there before The Snap...

I mean, Mantis was soooo close already. Stack Rogue on top of that and you have one sleepy Thanos, no matter how stupid Quill is.
  • Options
    The problem is that it appears as though anything mutant or X-Men related is not going to be in the same universe as the MCU. They already changed Scarlet Witch out of being Magnito's... daughter? Niece? Relative.
    So having Rogue or even Wolverine in anything is pretty much a no go. And I think in one universe Wolverine did join the Avengers for a while.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    She's not. In the comics she married T'Challa thus becoming queen of Wakanda, but the Wakandans didn't really accept her, even though their panther god was cool with letting her borrow it's power. (Yes really, being the Black Panther means being a servant of the panther god.)

Later it was tossed out by revealing the version of T'Challa she married was a Skrull imposter. But that raises a HUGE question... wouldn't the panther god notice? Yeah that was an awkward retcon. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »

Kinda agree with you targ. YouTube vids that latch onto rumors and make them bigger than they really are... are gonna be annoying. The main thing some YouTubers want... is more views and more subscribers. There are a few who actually sound like they care about their content, but there are those who are just in it for the numbers and will make a big thing about even the smallest rumor or make like their opinion is Word of God. *cough*Midnight's Edge*cough*

I don't really follow any of these hype channels. I typically watched things like Man at Arms, or a guy working on an Army Men mod for Men of War, or guys who focus on certain subjects like how badly designed the Mandator IV Dreadnought is in The Last Jedi.

Wich by the way... is actually a HORRIBLE design based on how it was deployed. Totally weak Point Defenses, absolutely no point defense weapons on the ventral side to protect the big guns, thrown out front with little to no protection... got wrek'd by one hotshot X-Wing stripping ALL of its point defense with little effort and one lucky bomber hitting a rather blatant bullseye. But that's a topic for another day.

Occasionally I might watch an opinion piece on something upcoming like Godzilla, like if they believe we might see a new Kaiju and have something resembling evidence to show it is possible, but I always take those with a grain of salt because I know they're only working off basically the same information everyone else currently has access to.

This is exactly why I haven't watched a single vid on this thread: I wouldn't trust most youtubers if they claimed rain was wet. The Internet has recently become labyrinth of lies and misinformation, to the point where I deliberately avoid social media and any YouTube video mentioning anything other than gameplay - literally nothing else can be trusted without spending several hours fact-checking their every sentence. YouTube has deliberately built a platform which values sensationalism and click ait over quality content. If I wanted to subject myself to that BS, I'd read the Sun.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    Playing with rumors and ideas is fun. Taking them seriously is bad for your heart. But I have to draw the line at those kids who talk so fast you have to wonder if they are talking while inhaling.

I have to admit to a certain degree of curiosity about where Marvel goes from here. Their current cast of actors is getting older and success has allowed them to demand higher and higher salaries. Eventually they are going to need to be replaced, or at least have their roles reduced significantly. Meanwhile there are hundreds of superheroes waiting in the wings for their backstory to come out. Thousands if you count the Uncanny X-Men.

Of all the incarnations of Ms./Captain Marvel my favorite is Rogue. Unfortunately, contracts and such, plus the fact that she wasn't ever in any of the Avenger-centric Marvel films, made her impossible to put into Endgame, but man, if Rogue had been there before The Snap...

I mean, Mantis was soooo close already. Stack Rogue on top of that and you have one sleepy Thanos, no matter how stupid Quill is.

Scuttlebutt is that Marvel's semi-dropping the shared universe: I.e. each franchise will be handled separately, with maybe occasional crossover, though I think this may be speculation based on how Spider-Man Far From Home is being handled separate from Infinity War/Endgame.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It's really amazing what kind of weird rumormill videos appear out of nowhere in this threads.

What do you mean 'out of nowhere'? It's the same attentionwhores over and over again. They're unable to formulate their own opinions because then they might have to change their presuppositions.

Why bother with facts when you can cushion yourself in an echo chamber of your own Youtube browsing history.

Why bother with the truth, which is quite often boring, when you can make up bollocks which sound much more interesting to you?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    > @markhawkman said:
    > brian334 wrote: »
    >
    > (I wonder if Storm is a native of Wakanda?)
    >
    >
    >
    > She's not. In the comics she married T'Challa thus becoming queen of Wakanda, but the Wakandans didn't really accept her, even though their panther god was cool with letting her borrow it's power. (Yes really, being the Black Panther means being a servant of the panther god.)
    >
    > Later it was tossed out by revealing the version of T'Challa she married was a Skrull imposter. But that raises a HUGE question... wouldn't the panther god notice? Yeah that was an awkward retcon. :/

Maybe she is okay with Skrulls?
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Disbelieving something just because it is said by a Youtuber is just as foolish as believing something just because it is said by a Youtuber.

It's like anything else in life. You weed out those that prove to be unreliable.

So far, so far, it does seem as though they were correct in their prediction that Captain Marvel would not be a smash hit.

Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    Wait what?