test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Wars Girl discussing Captain Marvel

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The thing that came closest to that was the apparent step down in CGI quality. That just seemed odd for an MCU movie that was in such high demand from the (near) whole of the fandom.

That's because Infinity War and Black Panther were being worked on simultaneously by the effects team and IW was more important for the studio.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    1st review of movie from France gives it 1 star... Rotten Tomato critics gives it 90%+

well get more views as real people go see the movie and report but are "critics" relevant anymore? they seem more like shills or inject their own political views and not really review a movie... ie, this is a gun fap movie so 1 star.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @tigeraries said:
    > 1st review of movie from France gives it 1 star... Rotten Tomato critics gives it 90%+
    >
    > well get more views as real people go see the movie and report but are "critics" relevant anymore? they seem more like shills or inject their own political views and not really review a movie... ie, this is a gun fap movie so 1 star.

I've despised the "critics" since they slandered Baywatch movie which was a great and fun movie, which they did for political purposes.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Critics these days aren't really reliable. Its all paid opinions, and when money comes into play, opinions can be bought. Better to get opinions from normal people, and a wide range too. Then... frankly see it yourself and form your own opinion if it is a movie that interests you.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    1st review of movie from France gives it 1 star... Rotten Tomato critics gives it 90%+

well get more views as real people go see the movie and report but are "critics" relevant anymore? they seem more like shills or inject their own political views and not really review a movie... ie, this is a gun fap movie so 1 star.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Critics these days aren't really reliable. Its all paid opinions, and when money comes into play, opinions can be bought. Better to get opinions from normal people, and a wide range too. Then... frankly see it yourself and form your own opinion if it is a movie that interests you.

Yup, just like how all that gamer gate nonsense started. Interesting that the common denominator is shills disguised as journalists.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    just shot down an apparent political message in a joke thread about all female crew members in a discovery vid on a thread. it was funny... when it was locked. I'd rather take that hit and send it down in flames than turn it into something like this thread has become. I'm dead serious about that (and if offered, i will take my lumps for it). So many ways humor can go wrong in translation. :tongue:

Yup, just like how all that gamer gate nonsense started. Interesting that the common denominator is shills disguised as journalists.

Always the way. Someone looking to use a really public means to make their opinions greater than others and come off looking like a right nonce. What else is new?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    patrickngo wrote: »
    just shot down an apparent political message in a joke thread about all female crew members in a discovery vid on a thread. it was funny... when it was locked. I'd rather take that hit and send it down in flames than turn it into something like this thread has become. I'm dead serious about that (and if offered, i will take my lumps for it). So many ways humor can go wrong in translation. :tongue:

Always the way. Someone looking to use a really public means to make their opinions greater than others and come off looking like a right nonce. What else is new?

you didn't like the joke, so you silenced it. How very progressive of you.

He didn't silence squat. The OP asked the mods to close the thread after nobody got his joke because it wasn't funny, or clever, or even phrased as a joke.

EDIT: And now I'm speaking out in Mirror's defence, of all people. See what you did? :D
  • Options

Humor is horrendously under served in text. Most of my writing is tainted with humor that often find itself labeled as something else.
  • Options

Humor is horrendously under served in text. Most of my writing is tainted with humor that often find itself labeled as something else.

to a certain extent, humour is impossible in a forum-because you're going to trigger someone, and they'll make it political.

Indeed.
  • Options

to a certain extent, humour is impossible in a forum-because you're going to trigger someone, and they'll make it political.

Indeed.

There are two ways to react to that situation;

method one, is to live in fear of offending someone. This method sucks TRIBBLE.

Method Two: post, and try to keep it within 'reasonable' limits, and rely on reactions to know where those limits are, just like in any public area, you speak, and how people react determines the limits, eventually you get a read on the crowd, and whose opinions you don't care for, and you either avoid them, or toy with them depending on the community's unspoken guidelines. If you pull a warning, you back off, and if necessary, apologize. (but only if 'tis actually necessary.)

You can't pre-empt people's 'feelings', and trying to just means no actual communication is possible.

If someone is offended that is entirely on them as far as I'm concerned; Your feelings, your responsibility, as it were.

At the same time I do make a concerted effort to remain with the Forum Rules. I don't mind doing so because there are times when a simple, "go do the F-thing to yourself," is insufficient to the task and I don't mind finding that mix of verbosity and brevity to communicate the depth to which one should descend to adequately and efficiently achieve the self-F-thinging in question.

When I'm attacked politically I've noticed that, for the most part, those attacking are in some way guilty of the behavior of which they accuse me. Doesn't take long to work it out, either.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Doesn't look like Captain Marvel is doing great according to Rotten Tomatoes, but it is currently doing better than the Thor and Captain America origin movies. It is currently sitting at 84% with an average rating of 7/10 while the Top Critics score is at 61% with an average rating of 6.11. It is currently not in the top 10 MCU Movies since that is:

1. Black Panther Tomatometer:97% Audience Score: 79%
    2. Iron Man Tomatometer:93% Audience Score: 91%
    3. Thor: Ragnarok Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 87%
    3. Spiderman: Homecoming Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 88%
    3. The Avengers Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 91%
    6. Captain America: Civil War Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 89%
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 92%
    8. Captain America: Winter Soldier Tomatometer:90% Audience Score: 92%
    9. Doctor Strange Tomatometer:89% Audience Score: 86%
    10. Ant-Man and the Wasp Tomatometer:88% Audience Score: 77%

Here is the remaining MCU movies with a Tomatometer of 80% or above:

11. Avengers: Infinity War Tomatometer:85% Audience Score: 91%
    12. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 Tomatometer:84% Audience Score: 87%
    13. Ant-Man Tomatometer:82% Audience Score: 86%
    14. Iron Man 3 Tomatometer:80% Audience Score: 78%
    14. Captain America: The First Avenger Tomatometer:80% Audience Score: 74%

Haven't listed the Captain Marvel movie since the Audience hasn't had a chance to watch it.

Edit: Made a few corrections to the Ranking.
    Post edited by starkaos on
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Doesn't look like Captain Marvel is doing great according to Rotten Tomatoes, but it is currently doing better than the Thor and Captain America origin movies. It is currently sitting at 84% with an average rating of 7/10 while the Top Critics score is at 61% with an average rating of 6.11. It is currently not in the top 10 MCU Movies since that is:

3. Spiderman: Homecoming Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 88%
    3. The Avengers Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 91%
    6. Captain America: Civil War Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 89%
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 92%

14. Captain America: The First Avenger Tomatometer:80% Audience Score: 74%

Haven't listed the Captain Marvel movie since the Audience hasn't had a chance to watch it.

there are two factors to remember: that 84% is pre-release. it could go up, or it could tank hard once it's in the hands of audiences, but it won't tank far, since Critic Scores are weighted higher than audience at RT, and critics were giving it a positive review overwhelmingly when all we had was a trailer and a controversy (before RT removed 'want to see' scoring the audience trending was downward, somewhere between 23% and 27%.)

Notably the critic scores were impressive with the 2016 Ghostbusters movie too, but it tanked at the box-office, and there have been several instances where critics felt a movie was very good, but audiences did not agree. Considering that Critics traditionally do not like action, Science Fiction, or superhero genres (read some of the reviewers' other reviews of genre movies), there's a viable argument that Critics weight their reviews more on external factors such as real-world political stances or social/cultural activism than on whether a movie is actually any good, particularly with genre films. (thus, why Black Panther got an Oscar nomination, while The Dark Knight didn't. You tell me which movie is more re-watchable with themes and characters that reach across time.)

So the 'Critic Score' being overwhelmingly positive is not much better than asking your Uncle Earl for his recommendation.

Which is why I didn't bother with listing it in the MCU Rankings. Personally, I trust the Audience Score far more than the Tomatometer which completely changes the Ranking.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
    1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    3. Iron Man
    3. Avengers
    3. Avengers: Infinity War
    6. Captain America: Civil War
    7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    8. Thor: Ragnarok
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
    10. Doctor Strange
    10. Ant-Man
    12. Avengers: Age of Ultron Tomatometer 75% Audience Score 83%
    13. Black Panther
    14. Iron Man 3
    15. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    15. Thor Tomatometer 77% Audience Score 76%
  • Options

4. Spiderman: Homecoming Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 88%
    5. The Avengers Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 91%
    6. Captain America: Civil War Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 92%
    7. Guardians of the Galaxy Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 92%

15. Captain America: The First Avenger Tomatometer:80% Audience Score: 74%

there are two factors to remember: that 84% is pre-release. it could go up, or it could tank hard once it's in the hands of audiences, but it won't tank far, since Critic Scores are weighted higher than audience at RT, and critics were giving it a positive review overwhelmingly when all we had was a trailer and a controversy (before RT removed 'want to see' scoring the audience trending was downward, somewhere between 23% and 27%.)

Notably the critic scores were impressive with the 2016 Ghostbusters movie too, but it tanked at the box-office, and there have been several instances where critics felt a movie was very good, but audiences did not agree. Considering that Critics traditionally do not like action, Science Fiction, or superhero genres (read some of the reviewers' other reviews of genre movies), there's a viable argument that Critics weight their reviews more on external factors such as real-world political stances or social/cultural activism than on whether a movie is actually any good, particularly with genre films. (thus, why Black Panther got an Oscar nomination, while The Dark Knight didn't. You tell me which movie is more re-watchable with themes and characters that reach across time.)

So the 'Critic Score' being overwhelmingly positive is not much better than asking your Uncle Earl for his recommendation.

Since you asked: if I wanted to watch a deranged lunatic try to destroy society and successfully destroy one of said society's heroes, while setting society against the other, I'd watch a history documentary, or the news. One of my university history modules last semester was studying genocide. Frankly, the Nolan films are pretty low on my rewatch list.

Frankly, Pat, you have to remember that the majority of cinemagoers aren't fanatics, either of a franchise or politically. If I were to ask one of my classmates about Captain Marvel, I give it 10:90 odds they'd even be aware of this controversy, let alone allow it to affect their desire to see a movie. On top of that, most cinemagoers don't leave reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, and those that do aren't the average: they're leaving a review because they feel motivated to by aforementioned fanaticism (either political, their love of the franchise/character, or both). Every average person I've spoken to has said TLJ was okay or good. Outside of the Internet, I haven't heard a word against it. Same goes for GhostBusters and RoboCop. Let's not assume that the so-called audience scores are even representative of the whole audience here.

And I say this as coming from a country where every opinion poll predicted a landslide opposition electoral victory in 2015, which never materialised. Polls and reviews aren't representative of the target group; they're representative of the members of said group who were motivated to take part. There's an important difference there.
  • Options
    I saw TLJ, and felt it was a pretty MEH movie. It... needed work. The one redeeming factor was that it didn't feel like Empire Strikes Back 2.0, like TFA was A New Hope 2.0. However... TLJ felt... aimless to me. Like one blunder after another on the part of the heroes.

I also saw the 2016 Ghostbutsers, a lot later after all the ranting, raving, and general hate was public. I thought it was ok. I went in knowing it wasn't connected with the previous films and judged it as its own entity, while keeping in mind that Ghostbusters in general is campy and fun.

Never saw Dark Knight Rises, but I did see Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The grim/dark worked for Batman, and I felt it was nice to see something of a more realistic take on the character vs the previous offerings that I felt kinda tried to take the characters into live action cartoon sillyness. While the Govenator was good as Mr. Freeze... it was still EXTREMELY campy. The Dark Knight Trilogy from what I saw was trying to be much more serious, and a bit more realistic. I would have liked to see how they translated some of the less realistic opponents, like Mr. Freeze, into a more realistic setting.

I don't let politics or "popular opinion" influence me. I judge things for myself.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ryan218 wrote: »

4. Spiderman: Homecoming Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 88%
    5. The Avengers Tomatometer:92% Audience Score: 91%
    6. Captain America: Civil War Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 92%
    7. Guardians of the Galaxy Tomatometer:91% Audience Score: 92%

15. Captain America: The First Avenger Tomatometer:80% Audience Score: 74%

Since you asked: if I wanted to watch a deranged lunatic try to destroy society and successfully destroy one of said society's heroes, while setting society against the other, I'd watch a history documentary, or the news. One of my university history modules last semester was studying genocide. Frankly, the Nolan films are pretty low on my rewatch list.

Frankly, Pat, you have to remember that the majority of cinemagoers aren't fanatics, either of a franchise or politically. If I were to ask one of my classmates about Captain Marvel, I give it 10:90 odds they'd even be aware of this controversy, let alone allow it to affect their desire to see a movie. On top of that, most cinemagoers don't leave reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, and those that do aren't the average: they're leaving a review because they feel motivated to by aforementioned fanaticism (either political, their love of the franchise/character, or both). Every average person I've spoken to has said TLJ was okay or good. Outside of the Internet, I haven't heard a word against it. Same goes for GhostBusters and RoboCop. Let's not assume that the so-called audience scores are even representative of the whole audience here.

And I say this as coming from a country where every opinion poll predicted a landslide opposition electoral victory in 2015, which never materialised. Polls and reviews aren't representative of the target group; they're representative of the members of said group who were motivated to take part. There's an important difference there.

on TLJ, I'd say I agree with your 'average persons"-I liked it. but Ghostbusters 2016 DID tank at the box office hard, and Robocop probably didn't come anywhere close to making the money they wanted it to, so the sample may not be exact, but it may also be fairly representative wrt audience score, than critics would like to admit.

but you're right, most people aren't fans, or fanatics. finding someone who's more than peripherally aware of Captain Marvel and actually cares enough to HAVE an opinion might be a better measure of opening day returns. March isn't exactly known as a hot time for moviegoing. (thus, the "Summer blockbuster" and the "Christmas Blockbuster" marketing phenomena.)

so i that sense maybe you NEED to look at the people who care enough to have an opinion, because this time of year, those are the people who will decide if the movie's successful. (and how successful it's going to be).

which goes to the little discussed on these forums (thanks to Brie's politics) other complaint-which is actually covered in the french reviewer's little translated rant linked above.

If the trailer's boring, then the mundanes and the normies aren't going to see it, and if the fans aren't energized, they're ALSO not going to see it.

when the best part of your trailer is the cat, there's a problem with your presentation.

I believe that quite a few people were turned off by the movie with each trailer having the hero beating up a grandma even if she is a Skrull. I will watch it, but only when it gets to the cheap theater or on Netflix. There is certainly nothing in it that will make me watch it in the next 2 weeks.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Any truth to the rumor that they're editing Endgame to reduce Capt. Marvel's part in it?

It would be a shame, in my opinion, to have the current list of superguys go through all the things they've gone through only to have a new character show up and deal with the problem. I'm invested in seeing Stark and Rodgers pull the rabbit out of the hat along with their cast of friends and teammates. To have Danvers come in and KO Thanos would be a letdown. Deus Ex Machina FTW.

I'm looking forward to Endgame and, if my great nephew hasn't been taken to see it before I get back to New Orleans, I might go to see it on the big screen.
  • Options
    I think Danvers will be reenforcements. Remember that a lot of heroes got dusted too. The original team of Avengers, and Rocket, are going to need help. Danvers is a big gun yes, but I doubt she can do it alone against Thanos. Don't forget he's got the uber Deus Ex Machina on his hand. But I think... its slightly defective.

Remember when Dr. Strange handed over the Time Stone? And also remember how he said much earlier in the movie that it is "difficult to remove a dead man's spell"? I think Dr. Strange put a hex on the Time Stone. And that might be why Thanos' arm got charred after the snap. Its all part of Dr. Strange's plan from that ONE timeline he saw where the Avengers won.
  • Options
    Yes, because we're all well aware of the long-running Black Widow and Scarlet Witch comic series. /sarcasm

Some characters just don't lend themselves to anything other than miniseries. Scarlet Witch and Black Widow have always been more at home as front-row Avangers/X-Men than standalone characters, and Captain Marvel has been in that same role for several years now, even leading the Avengers at one point.

(Admittedly, Danvers has also suffered from different writers trying to take the character in different directions, sometimes simultaneously.)

But I agree wrt Black Widow. Fans have been calling for her to get a solo film since Avengers Assemble. Kinda insulting that she's been short-changed for this long and is only getting a solo film now (which is probably more down to Ant-Man and the Wasp's success than predictions for CM).
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well, I saw the movie, and I liked it.

There are definitely some pro-woman statements in there, but without going into any femi-TRIBBLE anti-male territory.

I think the best part in that regard is when she finally gets full control of her powers, and we see a clip of her at different ages where she has just failed at something - and picked herself up to try again.

Fury is already a pretty clever guy.

Interesting is how the movie also introduces a lot of stuff that were basically taken for granted in the Marvel movies so far, and kinda explains where it comes from - without being extremely overt about it - the cloaking tech, the anti-grav tech (or whatever is the stuff that enables S.H.I.E.L.D. planes to fly like they fly), and of course also where the Tesseract come from.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Interesting is how the movie also introduces a lot of stuff that were basically taken for granted in the Marvel movies so far, and kinda explains where it comes from - without being extremely overt about it - the cloaking tech, the anti-grav tech (or whatever is the stuff that enables S.H.I.E.L.D. planes to fly like they fly), and of course also where the Tesseract come from.

I figured that the engine tech was from Stark Industries, as they are pretty much on the cutting edge. And wasn't the Tesseract in the first Captain America?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I just returned from seeing it. It's good, solid in line with the series so far. There is no man oppressing message in there, however the plot can be considered a social statement - but it has nothing to do with gender.

There are scenes that those that WANT to be whiney little victims will twist to fit their narrative, but it's absolutely no different from what Tony Stark or Thor did (the latter especially in regards to Carol's power level, which is on the Asgardian's level).

I will say that I am a bit disappointed by the music choice, being meant as a 90s throwback there would have been much better choices, and the use of "Just a girl" was downright cringey, but that's really the only thing I'd criticise right now.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou