test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[THE ORViLLE] | Season Two |

Comments

• luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Had mixed feelings about tonight's (14 Feb) episode. While it was a interesting homage to ST:TNG - The Outcast, did it REALLY have to come on Valentine's Day? :'(

Yeah, it does kind of seem like the last two episodes should have been switched around. Two weeks ago we get the cute, kind of awkward romance between Dr. Finn and Isaac, and for Valentine's Day it's 'Why Moclans Are Horrible People On Anything Involving Sex Or Gender, Vol XXVIII"
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Identity Part 1 was certainly an interesting episode that reminded me of a certain two-parter from TNG, but at least we won't have to wait for months to watch the next episode.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @valoreah said:
    > Because trying to do both rarely works well, if at all. IMO the only series to have pulled it off was M.A.S.H. - and the writing staff for the Orville is nowhere near that good.

It's called a "dramedy", Val. There's a lot of really good ones out there (I would classify Stargate SG-1 as one a lot of the time).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    > @luminaire#0745 said:
    > Yeah, it does kind of seem like the last two episodes should have been switched around. Two weeks ago we get the cute, kind of awkward romance between Dr. Finn and Isaac, and for Valentine's Day it's 'Why Moclans Are Horrible People On Anything Involving Sex Or Gender, Vol XXVIII"

While true, I do like that the conclusion of the episode has Kelly and Ed questioning whether the Moclans' membership in the Union is worth the trouble they give everyone. That's a development we never really saw in Star Trek with races like the Klingons (except maybe a little with Ezri Dax).

An alliance based more on convenience than in shared values will by nature be an unstable one.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    I actually have a orville crew with movie uniforms and the intel cruiser for the orville cause its the closest ship in the game to the orville. The orville crew picked was season 1 for those who are interested.
    edited February 2019
    patrickngo wrote: »
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @luminaire#0745 said:
    > Yeah, it does kind of seem like the last two episodes should have been switched around. Two weeks ago we get the cute, kind of awkward romance between Dr. Finn and Isaac, and for Valentine's Day it's 'Why Moclans Are Horrible People On Anything Involving Sex Or Gender, Vol XXVIII"

While true, I do like that the conclusion of the episode has Kelly and Ed questioning whether the Moclans' membership in the Union is worth the trouble they give everyone. That's a development we never really saw in Star Trek with races like the Klingons (except maybe a little with Ezri Dax).

An alliance based more on convenience than in shared values will by nature be an unstable one.

"...you want to Thank me? When you see me in the corridor, walk the other way."

That's a speech you would never see in TNG. It's a scene you'd never see in traditional trek, where everyone is happy together in one big, happy, fleet.

but it's one that has all the same power as any of the most compelling TNG soliloquies, because it's got an honesty to it. She did her duty, and bad things happened because she did, and the guy she saved is someone she has learned to despise, whiel the man she condemned is, by her own culture's views, innocent of any wrong doing.

It kinda resonates, because if you look around, there are lots of situations where something akin to that (albeit without the romance subplot) happens all the time. Union Stewards often get into situations where they're defending a scumbag who by any moral standard should have been fired years ago. (It's one reason I withdrew from the program.) I'm sure cops run into it quite often as well.

Lawyers, too. There's a great scene in this old Adam-12 episode where a drug manufacturer gets off because a legally questionable search* by Officer Reed (one of the protagonists) is ruled inadmissible. The druggie goes to thank his lawyer, but his only response is a curt "You'll get my bill." (I had that scene in mind when I wrote Seijirou Shinseki in Myrmidons, actually.)

* It's not even really a search per se: Malloy and Reed were picking the guy up on an unrelated traffic warrant and Reed went into the back of the house to make sure the back door was locked, and saw a pill-making machine and powders on the kitchen counter when he turned around. The key part is, the guy told him not to go in, so...
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

The Moclans could change so their dislike towards females is gone, but there are just some alien civilizations that are incompatible with the galactic community. Their harmful aspects could be removed, but that could destroy who they are. Is it better to trap them in their home system, but let them remain as they are or remove their harmful aspects and destroy their identity?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    If the situation starts with one moclan and others feel the same way to seek out a female, that would be denying a persons right to choose what they wish to do with themselves even knowing the risks within moclan culture. Eventually these events are going to cause a problem as things progress, there is no way the Moclans will be able to keep their composure if they make one big mistake that unravels their entire society. What happens if a male Moclan asks to be a female and the hearing is a sham? Those injustices will eventually total up.

Bortas certainly harbours a deep resentment towards Klyden for their child being male and yet Klyden doesn't care all that much because its tradition. So if it can happen between these two, it can happen anywhere on Moclus more so after Klyden attempted to kill Bortas for being a cuckold.

Eventually the Union will have little choice but to either get involved in Moclan politics and solve the issue or cut them loose and let them self-destruct and if the latter is chosen, i bet there are going to be millions of dead Moclans all seeking revenge and millions of ophans without parents. Moclan culture is in a precarious place. So in the end they can't act as they like to each other, there is just no way it's possible.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited February 2019
    If the situation starts with one moclan and others feel the same way to seek out a female, that would be denying a persons right to choose what they wish to do with themselves even knowing the risks within moclan culture. Eventually these events are going to cause a problem as things progress, there is no way the Moclans will be able to keep their composure if they make one big mistake that unravels their entire society. What happens if a male Moclan asks to be a female and the hearing is a sham? Those injustices will eventually total up.

Bortas certainly harbours a deep resentment towards Klyden for their child being male and yet Klyden doesn't care all that much because its tradition. So if it can happen between these two, it can happen anywhere on Moclus more so after Klyden attempted to kill Bortas for being a cuckold.

Eventually the Union will have little choice but to either get involved in Moclan politics and solve the issue or cut them loose and let them self-destruct and if the latter is chosen, i bet there are going to be millions of dead Moclans all seeking revenge and millions of ophans without parents. Moclan culture is in a precarious place. So in the end they can't act as they like to each other, there is just no way it's possible.

the only reason for the Union to get involved, or for it to 'cause problems' is if the Moclans try to export their cultural rules outside of their own sovereign territory or impose those rules on other cultures. (aka getting evangelical). At which point, yes, the Union would have to get involved or make a decision.

but internally, it's a problem for the Moclans and the Moclans alone-it's THEIR culture, and enforced on THEIR world(s).

and it's not very nice, and yes, it's morally troubling, and yes, it's a worthwhile question to ask if they bring to the table of the alliance sufficient benefit to continue being allied.

but...

it's not something that even CAN be successfully changed from outside without resorting to genocide. The only successful social change is internal. It's like you ain't gonna get someone to kick their addictions by locking them in a room or beating them up. THEY have to want to change or no matter what, your efforts will fail.

I would argue it's already become the federal government's problem, though. One episode this season, you've got a Moclan assaulting his spouse, a senior officer of a Union naval vessel, aboard said naval vessel, with a deadly weapon (could qualify as full-on attempted murder, but I can't remember without looking it up whether the assault was meant to be lethal). Doesn't matter that it's legal on Moclus, because they're not on Moclus. And now in "Deflectors" we have a civilian contractor employed by the same navy being thrown in prison, depriving the fleet of his expertise. That could be argued as a legitimate national security matter, just as much as the continued survival of the Bynars over on TNG (i.e. why the plot of "11001001" is idiotic if they're the only ones who can fix the Enterprise's main computer).

Self-rule means just that: they have authority over matters that are internal to them. But once it spills over planetary borders, it kind of inherently stops being an internal matter.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    can I say poor Bortus, he seems he just has to suffer. the only time he gets any focus and doesn't get a brunch of personal drama is going to the bath room.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.

the only reason for the Union to get involved, or for it to 'cause problems' is if the Moclans try to export their cultural rules outside of their own sovereign territory or impose those rules on other cultures. (aka getting evangelical). At which point, yes, the Union would have to get involved or make a decision.

but internally, it's a problem for the Moclans and the Moclans alone-it's THEIR culture, and enforced on THEIR world(s).

and it's not very nice, and yes, it's morally troubling, and yes, it's a worthwhile question to ask if they bring to the table of the alliance sufficient benefit to continue being allied.

but...

it's not something that even CAN be successfully changed from outside without resorting to genocide. The only successful social change is internal. It's like you ain't gonna get someone to kick their addictions by locking them in a room or beating them up. THEY have to want to change or no matter what, your efforts will fail.

Social change only happens when its universally excepted, and what happens if it devolves into factions of traditionalists and progressive groups who seek to rid the old values of Moclus, and in all that, it triggers a civil war? How on earth would you be able to call it an internal conflict when nearby systems are going to get dragged into that conflict no matter if they want it or not and eventually the Union won't have a choice. it's not a overspill of Moclan culture, it's like like a blackhole dragging others into it. which is a totally different matter.
    Today we get to see the conclusion of The Best of Both Worlds, Orville Style.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Just saw it. It was a predictable but still very enjoyable conclusion. Battle seemed to take elements from Best of Both Worlds, First Contact and Sacrifice of Angels. I'm curious as to how future episodes will deal with Isaac.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
    edited March 2019
    Anyone want a mouth full of Gordon? xD

Just saw it. It was a predictable but still very enjoyable conclusion. Battle seemed to take elements from Best of Both Worlds, First Contact and Sacrifice of Angels. I'm curious as to how future episodes will deal with Isaac.

Not just Orville style best of both worlds, but Orville style children of the gods. Remember Teal'c? He fought impossible odds as the only Jaffa to do so allied with Humans. :tongue:

I found the appearance of the Krill to be highly amusing considering they are at opposite sides and yet both Union and Krill face down a third threat together.
    I found the appearance of the Krill to be highly amusing considering they are at opposite sides and yet both Union and Krill face down a third threat together.

It has been done at least a couple of times in Star Trek with the Romulans in the Dominion War and Janeway and the Borg teaming up to fight Species 8472.
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    The episode was pretty interesting, although after watching it I can't help feel that I wish they would have done something more unorthodox.

Such as at the end of the battle, give Mercer the opportunity to call for mercy and then have everything freeze and reveal it was all a grand simulation, they never left the planet Kaylon, and they were putting forward one last test to see if humans could truly view machines as being alive. Let the episode then end with them deciding to being the process of joining the Union.

Or if the happy ending approach isn't to your liking you could end the battle but have the Krill fleet turn on the battered Union fleet and lay siege to Earth, leading things to the next episode where a heavily damaged Orville has to hold out until reinforcements can arrive to drive off the Krill.

It has been done at least a couple of times in Star Trek with the Romulans in the Dominion War and Janeway and the Borg teaming up to fight Species 8472.

Perhaps, but there are specific instances where different factions and species have banded together despite a major incompatibility defining their entire culture making any alliance laughable at best. In this case the Krill are religious militarily driven zealots who see others as lower-life's, so to save the union is almost a contradiction in terms to the Krill, since they are weakening themselves for a group of inferior species they'd sooner wipe out if given the chance.

Perhaps, but there are specific instances where different factions and species have banded together despite a major incompatibility defining their entire culture making any alliance laughable at best. In this case the Krill are religious militarily driven zealots who see others as lower-life's, so to save the union is almost a contradiction in terms to the Krill, since they are weakening themselves for a group of inferior species they'd sooner wipe out if given the chance.

It would be interesting to see how many religious people are in the Union. I think the Krills main problem with the Union is that they perceive the Union to be godless. If the Krill encountered religious people in the Union, then they could believe that some people in the Union believe in a version of their god similar to how Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in different versions of the same god.

garaks31 wrote: »

You mean it doesn't stand for Where's the fork?