test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tutorial for chat

deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
Could the devs please create a tutorial for chat and set up a pre-loaded chat layout, like one tab titled 'mission logs' which would be team and tell. Then 'social' which would include the local and zone chat, and a third tab 'ship reports' which has the other data?

People are turned off when they beam onto ESD and see the local and zone chat. It's horrible and un-moderated. But it has gotten to the point where many people don't bother to disable zone and local chat, so they just close the window. Then wonder why their pve missions are failing. I think if the tabs were redone, especially for new characters, that which the first tab is just loaded as team/tell, and there's an officer teaching them how to change that layout, it would go a LONG way to improving queres.

Thanks
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    if zone chat is really bothering you tht much maybe an MMO isn't what you need to be doing with your time. STO chat is TAME compared to other games. late one night on NW someone was describing a gang bang -- in detail in chat
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Who needs team chat in pugs? Last time I saw anyone say anything useful in pug chat was when the 10% rule was still a thing. :expressionless:
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    The tutorial on chat is about to begin. The Winter Event is where you go to learn how the Chat feature works. Talk to other players.

The Summer Event is Advanced Chat Useage.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Yeah, the chat box and privacy settings in this game is quite annoying to set up.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    For 'good' chat I generally participate on some of the channels people have made. NOP Public Service is a pretty good one for useful interactions. Zone chat is only really good for Gorn pun battles. Sometimes its quite the gornucopia of puns. B)
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    The chat system is a jungle to navigate, that's for sure. I do wish there were a more efficient means of IMs ingame for just saying "howdy" to friends, short of inviting them to a channel that you made specifically for said friends. And then the issue of being able to guide said friends to your channel, and letting them know they have an invite to said channel.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Another issue that may come up is actually not one of knowing how to use the system... but one that is a natural result of a game that can be played just about world wide.

The Language Barrier.

While most people can speak and understand English, there are some who can't. So trying to communicate with them is a challenge. I know enough French to recognize it and ask if you can speak English. But there are German players as well who don't understand English. Unless we have some kind of Universal translator we're going to have Language Barriers.
    For 'good' chat I generally participate on some of the channels people have made. NOP Public Service is a pretty good one for useful interactions. Zone chat is only really good for Gorn pun battles. Sometimes its quite the gornucopia of puns. B)

Gorn%20Joke.jpg?dl=1
    Imo, the game should really have the setting "Show Channel Names" turned ON by default.

I've got mine colored, but only have the ones I WANT active on in my main tab. I generally have a seperate tab for Zone if I feel like trollin' a bit or seeing if anyone needs any help.
    I remember things got rather religious one time on ESD... and because of how trollish it was I just made like a follower of Fareore, Goddess of Courage, because I felt that one guy was being really stupid. Don't think he caught all the Legend of Zelda references I was throwing out. Probably too busy trying to convert everyone to save their souls.
    The chat system is a jungle to navigate, that's for sure. I do wish there were a more efficient means of IMs ingame for just saying "howdy" to friends, short of inviting them to a channel that you made specifically for said friends. And then the issue of being able to guide said friends to your channel, and letting them know they have an invite to said channel.

It is a bit of a mess, but once you can navigate it... makes life a little easier.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    if zone chat is really bothering you tht much maybe an MMO isn't what you need to be doing with your time. STO chat is TAME compared to other games. late one night on NW someone was describing a gang bang -- in detail in chat

you missed the point...
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    STO chat is TAME compared to other games.

Strongly disagree.

I have played a large number of MMO games over the years and STO is by far the #1 worst.

In fact, it's the only MMO I have ever played that has absolutely no enforced code of conduct of any kind. The only thing you can't do in STO is gold spam, everything else is fair game. You can spout the most foul, racist, hateful thing you can think of in Zone chat and you probably wouldn't even crack the top 10 for worst things said that day.

STO Zone is a toilet, I actually agree that Zone should be disabled by default. If anything just so new players won't be tempted to use it for build help.. man, you want to talk about some bad advice.. wow.

Enforce the code of conduct or just turn it the #@%^ off. I have had Zone disabled for years.. it's only made the game better.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @deaftravis05 said:
    > annemarie30 wrote: »
    >
    > if zone chat is really bothering you tht much maybe an MMO isn't what you need to be doing with your time. STO chat is TAME compared to other games. late one night on NW someone was describing a gang bang -- in detail in chat
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > you missed the point...

No she didnt, you did.

again, you missed the point.

I never said the zone chat bothers me so much. I'm saying that they bother a lot of new people who get chat information overload and close the chat window rather than remove those specific channels.

STO chat is TAME compared to other games.

Strongly disagree.

I have played a large number of MMO games over the years and STO is by far the #1 worst.

In fact, it's the only MMO I have ever played that has absolutely no enforced code of conduct of any kind. The only thing you can't do in STO is gold spam, everything else is fair game. You can spout the most foul, racist, hateful thing you can think of in Zone chat and you probably wouldn't even crack the top 10 for worst things said that day.

STO Zone is a toilet, I actually agree that Zone should be disabled by default. If anything just so new players won't be tempted to use it for build help.. man, you want to talk about some bad advice.. wow.

Enforce the code of conduct or just turn it the #@%^ off. I have had Zone disabled for years.. it's only made the game better.

agreed. It'd be nice if there were mods in there
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Despite some claims I have never seen chat in any MMO that was even distinguishable from STO zone. Same politics, same trolls, etc.
    Me neither. This is the internet. If there is a general purpose chat channel in a game, it's going to be filled with the lowest common denominator.

The only games I've seen that don't have their general purpose chat filled with garbage are ones that either don't have a general purpose chat at all or it's sufficiently well hidden most people never use it.
This discussion has been closed.