test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I Feel That Ship-Specific Sets Should Have Dedicated Console Slots.

supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
There is hardly incentive to use a lot of consoles available to some ships in this game. Particularly when I was grinding for Tier V Starship Mastery, I ended up chucking the ship-specific console. That console tended to be a nuke with a long cooldown for EPG or ControlX that I wasn't specced in, or just a personal or AoE buff that lasted a short time, also with a cooldown. The only ship-specific console set I find myself using is the Flagship Technologies 3-piece, because it feels like a worthy console set with some actually nice bonuses. This was released two years ago, and of all the ships I've stuck with, it was the Odyssey because the consoles are good.

I've also previously owned the Tier 5 Odyssey set. I had to throw out all three of those consoles if I wanted to get some damage output. And again, whenever I used another ship, I stuck to the same mess of good consoles like the Assimilated Module, ZPEC, Quantum Phase Converter, and all the Vulnerability Locators I could stack, then some spare Plasma-Generating Weapon Signature Amplifiers/Nullifiers I had lying around. At no point did I feel compelled to slap on the console that came with the ship.

I just feel like some extra fun and variety could be added to the usual flying and gunning by making these abilities either innate, or giving them their own console slots separate from the others so as not to interfere with the other slots. Though honestly, I feel like any ship that can separate its saucer should be able to regardless, or activate console weapons, e.g. Point Defence System, Disruptor Autocannon. Consoles that come from a specific ship, but can be slotted on any ship.

After some deliberation with the other users on this thread, I thought I would change how I would like for this to work. I'm not exactly the best with words, but this is for, right now, the clearest wording on this subject.
Add a dedicated console slot(s) separate from the maximum of the combination of 11 Engineering, Science, and Tactical console slots for all non-Miracle Worker ships, and separate from those 11 slots and the 1 Universal slot on Miracle Worker Ships. This dedicated slot can only be used to seat a specific console that comes from that ship and its variants.

For example, the Exploration Cruiser Refit's exclusive console, [Console - Universal - Antimatter Spread], while it may be usable on any ship, may only be slotted in its dedicated console slot on any Exploration Cruiser or Dreadnought Cruiser variant, to include Exploration Cruiser, Exploration Cruiser Refit, Exploration Cruiser Retrofit, T6 Exploration Cruiser, and all Fleet versions.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Would be nice, but I don't really see them doing it...especially them giving ships multiple innate powers.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Yeah, I like the T5 Oddy console powers for their 'flavor' but they really aren't that powerful. (Especially since the Chevron and Aquarius can't be used at the same time.) I wish they'd be ship powers even if we lost the console set bonuses OR put all the T5 powers into 1 console. Kinda like how the Dyson EV suit did... collect all 3 suits and you could then turn them in for one suit w/ all the bonuses. Right now if you use all the Oddy consoles, that's 7 of them.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Yeeeeaaa... because having a T6 Vesta with 6 innate powers (one for each owned variant) is not OP...
    Same with the T6 Scimitar, and every other megabundle ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    yeah, would be nice but a balance nightmare. Dedicated console slot(s) on every ship for ship set consoles, similar to the miracle worker ships. That way, miracle worker ships wouldn't have an extra slot, just one that can use any console compared to other ships where that slot is reserved for a specific type.
    Go pro or go home
  • supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    baudl wrote: »
    yeah, would be nice but a balance nightmare. Dedicated console slot(s) on every ship for ship set consoles, similar to the miracle worker ships. That way, miracle worker ships wouldn't have an extra slot, just one that can use any console compared to other ships where that slot is reserved for a specific type.

Frankly, Miracle Worker ships seem to be so wildly unbalanced compared to other cruisers anyway. I've stacked the Tucker against the Endeavour, and the Miracle Worker ship beats out the Odyssey in every metric, except in the aesthetics.

Also, what I'm getting at is not to give ship set console slots as a blanket, but for specific consoles for that ship. For instance, the Bajoran ship can slot the DOMINO in its own separate slot, but anyone else who wants to use it has to use up one of their regular slots, and the same would go for any ship set that can be applied to other ships other than the classification it came from. The only thing I can think would be hard to balance is for ship classifications that have both T5 and T6, like Multi-Mission Explorers and Flagships.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    If the Dyson science destroyer's DHC could be an innate ability instead of slot that's occupied and cannot be removed or upgraded that would be great. We know they can do it because the Dreadnought has the phaser lance that doesn't occupy a slot.

Would be a mess to balance, but they could tweak and perhaps make the cannons a experimental weapon...make it so they're only usable on the Dyson ships perhaps?
    They're already only usable on Dyson ships. You can't even unequip them.
    The only thing I can think would be hard to balance is for ship classifications that have both T5 and T6, like Multi-Mission Explorers and Flagships.

You'd have to give them an equivelent number of slots for the consoles. Which would make them pretty OP having access to 6-7 console powers without having to sacrifice anything.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would say the issue is that the fact of making alot of them only usable on specific ships limits their usefulness, and even their value. One thing with the older tiers of ships was the console actually. Alot of the time on these consoles could be used on many other ships, and as such would have value in itself. I would even look into making it that if they made the console more universal removing the fact of being locked to specific ships, like maybe lock them to specific class/types of ships would be better ie science or cruiser types, than maybe give the consoles that are used on the specific ship it comes on a boost to it's effective strength.

I would be fine with making the console that cones on a ship that is specific to that ship an innate ability of it, as such making the ship always be treated as having one pierce of the set, and the console is there to just be slotted into the other ships that the consoles come on. Honestly would be fine with even the ship getting one less console slot even to compensate for having the console innate to it.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Fun Fact: Ship specific consoles were originally innate abilities, but the abilities were later changed to consoles to allow for greater flexibility, as ships with abilities had one less console slot than normal ships.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I would say the issue is that the fact of making alot of them only usable on specific ships limits their usefulness, and even their value.

What I'm getting at, is that the ship that the console comes with should have a dedicated console slot for that exact console, and in the case of ship classifications in a 3-pack (e.g. Odyssey, Bortas'qu, Scimitar), they would get three slots, or up to seven in the case of Flagships, maybe six if you would rather have the Timeline Stabiliser be a regular slot console. If it's a ship console any ship can use, then it would have to occupy a regular console slot on any ship or ship pack other than the one it comes from.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I would say the issue is that the fact of making alot of them only usable on specific ships limits their usefulness, and even their value.

What I'm getting at, is that the ship that the console comes with should have a dedicated console slot for that exact console, and in the case of ship classifications in a 3-pack (e.g. Odyssey, Bortas'qu, Scimitar), they would get three slots, or up to seven in the case of Flagships, maybe six if you would rather have the Timeline Stabiliser be a regular slot console. If it's a ship console any ship can use, then it would have to occupy a regular console slot on any ship or ship pack other than the one it comes from.

So you want to give them a 1 to seven console advantage over other ships that have less ship specific consoles on them? Making each ship have it's ship specific console's ability as a innate function of the ship an count towards the set, or giving these ships one console slot that their ship specific console can be slotted in would be fine, but giving them more than that would just invalidate other ship choices via how much power having three console slots to use for free (let alone seven of them).

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Or every couple years Cryptic has to go back and buff older ship consoles to be on par w/ current ship sets. Just look at the T6 versions of the Tal Shair and Wells Temporal ships. They got consoles that did the same power, but also got some passive effects too. Many of the old T5 ships' consoles just gave you an activatable. Many of which were under powered at the time of release, let alone now.
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    If anything this shows that they should take all the "T5" flagship 3 ship sets, roll all 3 into one ship with a Universal Boff Commander seat, and remove the 3 versions, so no more Base 3 different Odyssey, Bortas, Scimi, literally there was no visual change to the first 2, unlike the Scimi which had actual different models. So just make those available upon purchase. Turn the 3 piece T5 consoles into 1. done. It's not like someone will fly a T5 version over the T6 one the exists anyway due to the trait unlocks. Go ahead and let each faction T5 version Flagship have Sensor Analysis, have +5 power across all subsystems for Fed (as they are then "all around" ships); +10 Weapon +5 Engine +5 Shield for the Bortasqu' -Combat; +5 Weapon +5 Engine + 5 Aux for Scimi -Stealth/Combat. So if someone chooses to, they will not be at a loss for playing a T5u version.

Also the Chevron Separation and Aquarius not being able to be used at same time has always been a slap in the face to the concept of them. The Bortasqu' were horrible when launched, and stayed that way according to many on the forum (though to be fair the T6 ones are okay). The Scimitar though was nice.

This also goes for the Multi-Mission Fed ships, the Andorian T5s, (and the Dyson sets eventually I imagine, no point in having 9 ships to deal with once you make a T6 set for each faction). At least because T6 is top line, and accessible quick enough the T5 is pointless. This only applies to the T5 ships that have 3 versions, and then a T6 set of 3. The current normal T5/T6 one offs are okay. they don't have 6-7 consoles to deal with with half being negative to slotting without some bonus.

The whole thing with Quality of Life updates for games, means sometimes you need to cull your store of fodder that isn't used, and superseded by upgraded versions that are superior. Even if it means turning 3 Items into 1 Item that sells more often due to the concept of not loosing value of an item such has when using on a newer object without negatives.
    kaggert27 wrote: »
    Turn the 3 piece T5 consoles into 1. done.

So... 1 console that can do 3 things...
    That's not OP as all hell...
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    kaggert27 wrote: »
    Turn the 3 piece T5 consoles into 1. done.

So... 1 console that can do 3 things...
    That's not OP as all hell...

Or in the case of the T5-U Bortasqu', it would weaken the ship consoles even further. Each of the abilities has a windup to them. The Subspace Snare at around 4 seconds, the Disruptor Autocannon at about 2-3 seconds, the Bird of Prey itself takes about 7 seconds or so to warm up the engine to move around. How would it work? Deploy the Bird of Prey first, then after a certain amount of time, the Subspace Snare kicks in, then the Bird of Prey's teleport and its own Disruptor Autocannon? Alongside your own Disruptor Autocannon? You're looking at around 15-20 seconds worth of waiting time for shenanigans to do something. Sure, both the Bortasqu' and the BoP's big guns firing at the same time is pretty cool to look at, but everything would make the I.K.S. Get Out and Push even slower on doing stuff.

We already have consoles that do 3+ things at once. Dynamic Power Redistributed Module, D.O.M.I.N.O., the Lorca Maneuver console to name a few. But hey, powercreep sells, right?
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Or every couple years Cryptic has to go back and buff older ship consoles to be on par w/ current ship sets. Just look at the T6 versions of the Tal Shair and Wells Temporal ships. They got consoles that did the same power, but also got some passive effects too. Many of the old T5 ships' consoles just gave you an activatable. Many of which were under powered at the time of release, let alone now.
    Old junk is n't supposed to be on par with new hotness.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    New hotness sells, old stuff is what Admiralty is made of. Leave my Admiralty Cards alone. They cost enough when collecting at T 5
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    We already have consoles that do 3+ things at once. Dynamic Power Redistributed Module, D.O.M.I.N.O., the Lorca Maneuver console to name a few. But hey, powercreep sells, right?

Actually any of the consoles from the T6 ships just have passives and one clicky active power. What was proposed sounds alot like either making one console have 3 seperate, activatable powers or they trigger all at once. In your example with the Bortasqu... that would make the snare just about useless to combo with the autocannon. And in the case of the Vesta... dear god.

Actually any of the consoles from the T6 ships just have passives and one clicky active power. What was proposed sounds alot like either making one console have 3 seperate, activatable powers or they trigger all at once. In your example with the Bortasqu... that would make the snare just about useless to combo with the autocannon. And in the case of the Vesta... dear god.

Honestly, the only use for the Subspace Snare console, is to give the deployable BoP its upgrade with fielding all 3 pieces. Which includes APB and its own Disruptor Autocannon. The upgrade isn't shabby at all, mind you...but...wait. There's also cooldown reduction for the Disruptor Autocannon if you field all 3, I believe. But it would be impossible to have all effects trigger at once in the case of these 3 consoles. Because of the windup times, and you'd want the BoP out and flying before the other two go off.

Another ship I forgot, that has a console that does multiple things, is the Duv'qu ship. The console for that has a passive, but also two different modes, each with their own ability.
    Duv'qu? That the Vet Destroyer?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    KDF version yes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I don't really agree with making three consoles into one akin to the Solanae suits. And I definitely don't want all the abilities to activate at once. My initial suggestion was to make things like saucer separation, cloaking for Starfleet ships, and some weapons like Point Defence System be innate, but I think I should change my wishes on this, and make it clear with the new information I've gathered, in the best, clearest terms I can put it...
    Add a dedicated console slot(s) separate from the maximum of the combination of 11 Engineering, Science, and Tactical console slots for all non-Miracle Worker ships, and separate from those 11 slots and the 1 Universal slot on Miracle Worker Ships. This dedicated slot can only be used to seat a specific console that comes from that ship and its variants.

For example, the Exploration Cruiser Refit's exclusive console, [Console - Universal - Antimatter Spread], while it may be usable on any ship, may only be slotted in its dedicated console slot on any Exploration Cruiser or Dreadnought Cruiser variant, to include Exploration Cruiser, Exploration Cruiser Refit, Exploration Cruiser Retrofit, T6 Exploration Cruiser, and all Fleet versions.

Yep.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Fun fact: Back in the ancient days before F2P, when the first Tier 5 Retrofits of Tier 4 ships were introduced, these ships special ability were hard-wired to the ship, and it cost them a console slot compared to other Tier 5 ships.
    Later, these abilities were turned into ship-exclusive universal consoles, and the ships got the same number of consoles as regular Tier 5 ships had.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Some of the slots on a ship would be Tac only, others would be Tac / Universal.
    KDF version yes.
    Yep.

I'm still a relatively new Lifer so I don't remember the class names for the Romulan and KDF Vet Destroyers. Feds ones are easy to remember. Chimera and Manticore are both mythological creatures. I think... Greek Mythology?
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User

I meant that the console would still have the 3 separate clickable powers. Not a Trigger all at once thing, as that would negate benefits of the ones that are like such. I am sorry I did not make it clear. And the vet ship consoles are good examples I guess. I didn't know they did it, as I don't have one. But a good example is the MVAE console, for the fact it does "3" different clickables though all share a cool down (much like if the Odyssey Chevron and Aquarius share).
    I don't really agree with making three consoles into one akin to the Solanae suits. And I definitely don't want all the abilities to activate at once. My initial suggestion was to make things like saucer separation, cloaking for Starfleet ships, and some weapons like Point Defence System be innate, but I think I should change my wishes on this, and make it clear with the new information I've gathered, in the best, clearest terms I can put it...

The only problem with adding additional console slots, would be the thing of T6 ships would then some have 5 additional slots like for the T6 Galaxy-X: Antimatter Spread, Cloaking Device, Saucer Separation, Supplemental Subsystems, Molecular Cohesion Nullifier Field.

So I don't really advocate for such unless you mean a Console slot for that specific ship for that specific console that comes with that ship. So for the T6 Gal-X: only 1 for Supplemental Subsystems, everything else to the normal console slots. A Miracle Worker ship: the console they come with in special slot, their brother/sister consoles can join them in normal tray, and they don't loose their 11th Universal Console slot.
    Fun fact: Back in the ancient days before F2P, when the first Tier 5 Retrofits of Tier 4 ships were introduced, these ships special ability were hard-wired to the ship, and it cost them a console slot compared to other Tier 5 ships.
    Later, these abilities were turned into ship-exclusive universal consoles, and the ships got the same number of consoles as regular Tier 5 ships had.
    I remember this, as I bought the Galaxy and Galaxy-X back in the day. I swear Saucer Separation was built in, then made a console, while the Cloak on the Gal-X was then made a console.
This discussion has been closed.