test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has something changed in space combat?

Comments

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,802 Community Moderator
    Guy's lets keep things civil here. This thread has already derailed big time but if you guys can get back to the original post and keep things civil I would rather not throw out another mod lock.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    SulMatuul.png
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Hey @mattjohnsonva

Cool post you made. I’m always very happy when players who are enthusiastic about this game enrich this place with their experience and knowledge, in short share their fun.

I’m curious, how has your fleets’s experience with the Elite version of Dranur Gauntlet been so far?

I did not put much time and thought in this particular map in the past and find it challenging to beat. Will get there sooner or later. I only got through one time but felt that my contribution lacked a bit behind in light of the great team I ended up with.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    @peterconnorfirst I’ve given DGE a go a few times with friends and though we never succeeded and I spent a lot of time getting murderized by mobs I found that the mission varies depending who is the enemy.

Tzenkethi are a nightmare with the immunity, Borg are pretty mental but Cubes are easier I find than the smaller spheres so it’s a bit of an odd one.
    Only other enemy I’ve fought there was Voth who seem to have beams that ignore shields from what I could see, I can’t recall Voth APbeing that tough before??
    SulMatuul.png
    edited November 2018
    Hey @mattjohnsonva

Cool post you made. I’m always very happy when players who are enthusiastic about this game enrich this place with their experience and knowledge, in short share their fun.

I’m curious, how has your fleets’s experience with the Elite version of Dranur Gauntlet been so far?

I did not put much time and thought in this particular map in the past and find it challenging to beat. Will get there sooner or later. I only got through one time but felt that my contribution lacked a bit behind in light of the great team I ended up with.

Hey Peter, thanks for your kind words.

That is a very tough one dependent on which enemy you get. If it's tholians it's a breeze, if it's Voth you're stuffed, likewise Tzenkethi. To be honest we normally run it on advanced, but if we have the right folks on we will run an elite. The problem is there are three bases and only 5 players, so you need someone that can do a lot of damage and take a lot of damage on base 1 in the center. I'll get a team up this evening if the right folks are on and have a go, love a challenge.

Oh yea, different critters there are indeed very different in difficulty to tend to. :/

What makes me curious about this map is that some key elements from old NWS seem to be present so that we look much more at a team-play/interaction map than a simple DPS fest. Sure we need to punch hard and have some durability but in there crowd control, timing of attacks and a selection as to what is to attack and what not to could be the key.

Let’s see what the future holds but judging from what I could see in some of your videos you seem to be ready for just about anything. B)
    animated.gif
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    @peterconnorfirst I’ve given DGE a go a few times with friends and though we never succeeded and I spent a lot of time getting murderized by mobs I found that the mission varies depending who is the enemy.

Tzenkethi are a nightmare with the immunity, Borg are pretty mental but Cubes are easier I find than the smaller spheres so it’s a bit of an odd one.
    Only other enemy I’ve fought there was Voth who seem to have beams that ignore shields from what I could see, I can’t recall Voth APbeing that tough before??

Yea, noticed that as well. Sadly there are no acolades to be earned and not much rewards to get so most I know give it a wide berth. Dont even remeber which critters we got the one time I was in a team who beat it.
    animated.gif
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    bendalek wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Just played SB1 on advanced and got smashed through full shields and 58% kinetic res by 5x 22k plus torps from Bops on that map. Ofc my 65k hull Vesta didn't survive that assault.

There is a claim about a bug that does this, but these numbers don't seem so much out of line... players can do that kind of damage, too, after all.

I have noticed lately though that NPC "Kinetic" damage against the player seems to be randomly OP for some reason. I noticed that the radius/AoE and damage output from WCB's for instance has definetly been ramped up.

The scaling is definetly screwy though, or the calculations/code that the game uses to decide these things. For instance I was tooling around the Voth Space BZ yesterday with a lvl 65 Klink, and happily killing Undine Nicor's and stuff, with a little bit more time/effort needed for the Dreadnoughts. I then went straight from there into a mission replay (the final Solonae mission - whatever it's called) In the first battle around ESD, I was absolutely murdering Undine, essentially one shotting everything, which surprised me a little, it was definetly too easy - Then we went to Qo'nos, and suddenly the Undine had made some technological improvements in the intervening seconds, and even Nicor's were sometimes one shotting me, straight through full shields and full hull, and the "repulse" proc on their beams was smacking my ship 3 to 5 km's with each hit! It was as though I'd gone from being lvl 65 against lvl 50 enemies, down to lvl 25 against lvl 60 enemies.

And it's only happened since they released DSC and made all the changes to the Journal plus adding the SB1 TFO.

Please refresh my memory, what does WBC stand for?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Please refresh my memory, what does WBC stand for?

WCB - Warp Core Breach.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Haha any excuse to post this video again, here we go, >2,000,000 team DPS, >1,000,000 indivdual DPS spike.

And again we get some number muddying from you. As you were explained already in the thread where you originally posted the video, equating spike damage with DPS, and worse, making any conclusions based on those numbers, is at best false advertisement, at worst intentionally trying to mislead people.
    Sure, since you did 2m damage during the course of 1 second, yeah, for that 1 second your DPS was 2m, technically. But so what? DPS, throughout the gaming history, has been used to denote overall damage done over the course of some time period, for example duration of an entire mission.

I mean, did I do 1m+ DPS in this run?
    How about this amazing "DPS" score?
    Here is SOB doing what looks like 1.1m DPS, amirite?
    And man, almost 1.2m DPS from Florian (Vadis) in here!
    EPIC DUAL SPIKE from Florian and SOB here - and I guess DPS numbers are left open to interpretation. Is that 1.9m DPS cause they both spiked at 1m? Is it 3m because you sum first and second together?!

Heck, I have a video of myself doing 1m DPS in HSE. How cool is that?

Except of course none of those were examples of DPS. Those 1m and + bars you can see were good spikes, nothing more. And here's a parse for you showing how spikes mean close to nothing. I did "only" 800k DPS (by your rules), yet the final, actual DPS score, is higher than the runs where i spiked higher.

Also, fun fact, all of those spikes are from cannonboats. And yes, in absolutely every run, an incredibly skilled player flying scihax ship was also present.
    edited November 2018
    sophlogimo wrote: »

My point here is just that the DPS number won't tell you if someone is lazy or an ingenious STO build engineer.

Of course not! Fortunately being either by itself won’t get you any good numbers alone. Perhaps you should re-read the posts of your fleet-leader. He got it, you still don't. ;)
    animated.gif
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    The true endgame is on the forums.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,802 Community Moderator
    I asked nicely but since some folks couldn't play nicely this thread is now /closed
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.