Rumors purportedly from CBS about the ST:D television series

captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
edited October 2018 in Ten Forward
QNxkKGV.png

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Yep, same as the rumors that have swirled around STO since... well, pretty much since Cryptic got the license from Perpetual, far as I can tell.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Rumours mean nothing without evidence.

At best, we can see for ourselves that the "Trek Shorts" are not available on Netflix outside the US, which is odd. However, if Runaway is any indication of the overall quality of the "Trek Shorts", no one outside the US is missing out on anything.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Finally, Runaway was quite decent, in 15 minutes it beat multiple TNG episodes (Justice, Code of Honor, The Naked Now, The Child) and several TOS episodes (Turnabout Intruder, the horribly 60s "Indians" episode).
    Runaway is absolute trash. It is the worst episode of Star Trek: Discovery to date, and should be counted in the top 5 "All-time Worst Episodes of Star Trek". It is really that bad.

I'm amazed that two people wrote this, as it clearly has no editorial oversight. The story beats are dreadful. A more appropriate name for this episode would be Trek Reality TV: Hangin' with Tilly as that is all there is to this. 15 minutes of watching Tilly "do stuff" with no thought beyond what she is going to in the next few seconds of screentime. This episode is clearly designed around Tilly's popularity because if you are not a Tilly fan, there is no reason to watch Runaway. The story is trite and the alien is nonsensical.

This "Short Trek" is what you get when you strip away Star Trek: Discovery's budget and reduce the run time; because the writers of TRIBBLE are hacks who have no interest in improving their craft.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Ok here is the rule of thumb.

Doomc**k and Midnights Edge L I E about everything they post.

They have a major hate-on for all things CBS and think they have inside knowledge when they get all their info from known liars called Doug Fitz & Bob Pike (which BTW Doug and Bob are the same person) and LesLIE Owens.

You ask anyone who knows anything about the workings of the inner fandom they will tell you they are cuckoo
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    > @redvenge said:
    > patrickngo wrote: »
    >
    > Rumours mean nothing without evidence.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > At best, we can see for ourselves that the "Trek Shorts" are not available on Netflix outside the US, which is odd. However, if Runaway is any indication of the overall quality of the "Trek Shorts", no one outside the US is missing out on anything.

Firstly, you are incorrect as the Short Treks are being broadcast in Canada on the same channel as Discovery. Secondly, CBS All Access is being expanded to international markets so CBS won't be sharing as much content with Netflix going forward as they will not be dependant on Netflix for international distribution. Finally, Runaway was quite decent, in 15 minutes it beat multiple TNG episodes (Justice, Code of Honor, The Naked Now, The Child) and several TOS episodes (Turnabout Intruder, the horribly 60s "Indians" episode).

Runaway was quite decent? Well of you mean by further destroying established canon then you are right. And you are also right that beat many if not most episodes. It was one the worst ever.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    Runaway was A W E S O M E

And Tilly was amazing
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    > @redvenge said:
    > patrickngo wrote: »
    >
    > Rumours mean nothing without evidence.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > At best, we can see for ourselves that the "Trek Shorts" are not available on Netflix outside the US, which is odd. However, if Runaway is any indication of the overall quality of the "Trek Shorts", no one outside the US is missing out on anything.

Firstly, you are incorrect as the Short Treks are being broadcast in Canada on the same channel as Discovery. Secondly, CBS All Access is being expanded to international markets so CBS won't be sharing as much content with Netflix going forward as they will not be dependant on Netflix for international distribution. Finally, Runaway was quite decent, in 15 minutes it beat multiple TNG episodes (Justice, Code of Honor, The Naked Now, The Child) and several TOS episodes (Turnabout Intruder, the horribly 60s "Indians" episode).

So...is discovery channel is netflix? When did this happen? Because that is news to me. So no redvenge is not incorrect. YOU are.
    In the US, DSC is carried on CBS All Access. In Canada, it's apparently on one of their cable channels - can't remember the name right now. In other international markets, it's on Netflix.

As I'm in the US, I can't comment on who's showing DSC's Shorts (heh heh), but here it's still CBS All Access. We're subbed to that because my wife has a major NCIS addiction. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Drives me nuts because I wanna be able to watch Discovery, but guess what? I'm in the US. I have a netflix sub... but again... I'm in the US. All Access only.

Frankly I don't see why they can't include Netflix. If they want, they could even stagger the episode releases by a week or two. Want to watch it on release? All Access. Too cheep for All Access but have Netflix? Wait a week or two.
    But nope... we don't get that option.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    jonsills wrote: »
    In the US, DSC is carried on CBS All Access. In Canada, it's apparently on one of their cable channels - can't remember the name right now. In other international markets, it's on Netflix.
    You're thinking of the Space Channel. It's Canada's version of Syfy.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Drives me nuts because I wanna be able to watch Discovery, but guess what? I'm in the US. I have a netflix sub... but again... I'm in the US. All Access only.

Frankly I don't see why they can't include Netflix. If they want, they could even stagger the episode releases by a week or two. Want to watch it on release? All Access. Too cheep for All Access but have Netflix? Wait a week or two.
    But nope... we don't get that option.

You can always try the VPN route and make Netflix think you're in a country where you can watch it. Also, the first season is out on DVD/Blu-ray now.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    You're thinking of the Space Channel. It's Canada's version of Syfy.
    How ironic. I spaced on Space.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    rattler2 wrote: »

bHF88Mb.gif

kidding :P
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    Rofl at redvenge, the critics disagree with you.
    The plot of Runaway is "Tilly makes a friend". That's it. That is what we expect from an episode of Sesame Street, not Star Trek. This goes double for a "mature" Star Trek with swear words and naked sex scenes. Whatever "critic" said gave "Tilly Makes a Friend" a 5 star rating is either a fraud or a shill (or a "Tilly Superfan". I guess that is possible, but those people will give 5 stars to toilet paper with Tilly on it, so they are a bit biased).

This "story" is empty and vapid. It makes Spock's Brain look like Shakespeare by comparison.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...unconfirmed rumors based on pretty much nothing. K. Not that I like TRIBBLE mind you. But come on.
    Doomcock hates Discovery. Only video of his I actually like is the Anas Abdin interview. But that's not because Doomcock was fair and impartial, but because he was able to coax Abdin into explaining things he hadn't talked about before. Much insight into how Abdin thinks. The hilarious part is that Doomcock actually trolled Abdin in the interview!
    redvenge wrote: »
    Rofl at redvenge, the critics disagree with you.
    The plot of Runaway is "Tilly makes a friend". That's it. That is what we expect from an episode of Sesame Street, not Star Trek. This goes double for a "mature" Star Trek with swear words and naked sex scenes. Whatever "critic" said gave "Tilly Makes a Friend" a 5 star rating is either a fraud or a shill (or a "Tilly Superfan". I guess that is possible, but those people will give 5 stars to toilet paper with Tilly on it, so they are a bit biased).

This "story" is empty and vapid. It makes Spock's Brain look like Shakespeare by comparison.
    You must be new here. :p they've made full episodes with that basic plot. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    TNG “Pen Pals”
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    TNG “Pen Pals”
    to be fair, when TNG did "Pen Pals" it was fairly fresh and new as a concept. (not genuinely fresh and new, just fairly) and it was very much a 'world builder' episode in that it showcased things like how seriously (or not seriously) Starfleet supposedly took the Prime Directive, along with Data's development.

aka they were actually building more of the setting along with the character, and taking a risk for action sci-fi 'kid shows' in dabbling with a complex moral and legal situation.

after which, we got a whole LISTING of "character x makes a friend" in every series (and season) after.
    Lol, actually started in TOS. Balok is an example here.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    “Miri” too.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
This discussion has been closed.