test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

RTFO’s are a winner.

galacticgoogalacticgoo Member Posts: 61 Arc User
I’m playing on the easy level to learn the different queues. Once I feel I know most queues I’ll switch to Advanced.

Running my alts through for the last 4 hours one after another here some data points:

1) Wait times, longest wait so far has been 20 seconds. I know, the horror
2) Haven’t encountered any ground queues yet.
3) I’m averaging way more marks than the old Red Alert system.
4) Longer RTFO’s reward more marks.
5) Other players have been nice, no Debbie Downers or crybabies so far
6) And most importantly, it’s the most fun I’ve had in STO

Only complaint so far is I have no idea what queues I’m running. Cryptic, it would be cool if there was big letters across the screen when it starts with “The Breech” or “Starbase One” or "The banana peel Incident". Also, since some of the older queues may have issues, it would be cool at the end to have a popup that said “Tell us how to improve this queue or did you encounter any bugs?"

Thumbs up Cryptic, good job!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Yes, I was hoping they'd add a few seconds of a "get ready to play THE HAPPY FUN QUEUE" stage before starting instead of dumping you right into the happy fun queue.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    They absolutely are a winner, OP. 99% agreed. The forum is surprisingly low key today. Most of the people that overreacted last week haven't had much to say today. That said, let's get the feedback rolling so that improvements can be made to the system.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    sidewinderqsidewinderq Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    "The banana peel Incident" sounds interesting.
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    Having just had to do Hive Space ADV then immediately get sent to Miner Instabilities ADV, the jury is still out for me.

With pugs, both maps require you to be at full fighting (and survival) strength, especially with folks who've never done either map on the team. Both queues had folks who've never done them.

It may be that the RTOs will require complete revamping of builds to compensate for the possibility of doing ground and space without switching specializations.

In addition to waiting a few weeks so folks actually know what they're doing when they join ADV queues, it may be that we will need to sub-optimize both builds to get a combined optimal build. Ships and loadouts specifically so that they can function in this randomized environment.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Having just had to do Hive Space ADV then immediately get sent to Miner Instabilities ADV, the jury is still out for me.

With pugs, both maps require you to be at full fighting (and survival) strength, especially with folks who've never done either map on the team. Both queues had folks who've never done them.

It may be that the RTOs will require complete revamping of builds to compensate for the possibility of doing ground and space without switching specializations.

In addition to waiting a few weeks so folks actually know what they're doing when they join ADV queues, it may be that we will need to sub-optimize both builds to get a combined optimal build. Ships and loadouts specifically so that they can function in this randomized environment.
    I do think that people need to set their expectations separately for normal and advanced. When choosing advanced, be prepared for a good possibility of failure. If you frequently fail advanced, then you just aren't good enough to carry a team and may want to consider doing normal instead. The same was always true now or before pugging advanced.

That said, I do agree with everyone in that separating space and ground would be nice. I think that cryptic chose not to do this so that ground queues wouldn't be left behind while 90% of players only choose space. But it is something that they should consider. Maybe lessen the space RTFO bonus and boost it for ground so that ground doesn't get abandoned by players.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    The problem is not setting expectations for failure. It's people who ought not be doing advanced queues due to lack of skill, firepower,or understanding of objectives/strategy. If people are going to do random queues, they NEED to learn what the strategies are for doing them - or have enough fire power that it doesn't matter. Personally, I didn't even begin doing advanced queues until I was confident I both knew the strategies that other players would expect and had the firepower (and some basic skills to use it) to do them.

As for adjusting rewards to facilitate separating space and ground - it's addressing a symptom and not the root cause. It's like those people who take one medication, then have to take another medication to deal with the side effects of the first, then a third medication to deal with the side effects of the second, and so on and so on and so on.

Like I said, the jury is out for me. What I do hope is that the leaving penalty is increased for RTOs because it doesn't help when people decide to skip out on a team, leaving them shorthanded, as has already happened several times.

People either need to accept (and enjoy) the vagaries (and rewards) of this new system...or not.
  • Options
    The problem is not setting expectations for failure. It's people who ought not be doing advanced queues due to lack of skill, firepower,or understanding of objectives/strategy
    That has been true now and going back years. That problem didn't just start today. Therefore, as a player that presumably knows what you are doing, you should know this and adjust expectations accordingly.
    As for adjusting rewards to facilitate separating space and ground - it's addressing a symptom and not the root cause. It's like those people who take one medication, then have to take another medication to deal with the side effects of the first, then a third medication to deal with the side effects of the second, and so on and so on and so on.
    Do you have your own suggestion or no? What is this "root cause" you speak of?
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So more than half the maps that pop being ground maps. Vast majority of the space maps that does pop is full of useless people that makes things that should be done in 3 min take 20+ min. And when I queue for maps that should be part of the random system, it doesn't pop...at all. I would say the 2 hours I gave this a shot was two of the worst hours of play I have had to date. So yeah...utter failure for me. If they don't include a ground/space choice at the very least...there is no point in me using this system going forwards.

Are you doing normal or advanced? If you're doing exclusively advanced, it sounds like you should probably switch to normal.
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 228 Arc User

Only complaint so far is I have no idea what queues I’m running. Cryptic, it would be cool if there was big letters across the screen when it starts with “The Breech” or “Starbase One” or "The banana peel Incident". Also, since some of the older queues may have issues, it would be cool at the end to have a popup that said “Tell us how to improve this queue or did you encounter any bugs?"

I doubt that they'll put this feature in because folks will decline the minute they get a TFO they don't want to do.

Personally I'm meh about the whole Random TFO (probably because I'm so used to them in NW) so I don't 'dislike' the feature. The queues pop fairly quickly and the other players seem pretty adept at the mission selected. The payout seemed a little lackluster, but I only did one Random TFO (Counterpoint) so maybe it gets better if more or different ones are done. My one concern is I don't know how to 'Select Reinforcements' if a team mate drops out. We had one drop and ran the mission with just four. Does anyone know if that is a feature and who gets the option? Team leader? Queue leader? Any advice would help.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • Options
    quickdraw74quickdraw74 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Pretty much don't care for the new TFO's I just spent 15 minutes in one because they didn't know what to do. I'll just sit all TFO's out. I got enough marks for tier 6 in every rep. Total TRIBBLE that I can't play the content I want to and not random. Won't be spending anymore money on this game.
  • Options
    While the problem of folks not knowing what they're doing has always been there, this new system exacerbates it significantly. As for adjusting expectations accordingly, the unfortunate adjustment most people will make is that they'll stop doing them, not learn to tolerate it. As I said, "People either need to accept (and enjoy) the vagaries (and rewards) of this new system...or not."

As for root causes about why this system needed to be implemented to address empty queues and lack of player participation, the idea that adding another carrot/stick reward approach to the one they've just created to get people to participate is a self-evident band aid. By definition, it would be merely addressing another cascading symptom of the participation problem if people wouldn't join the new system to do ground queues if it were separated from the space queues.
  • Options
    While the problem of folks not knowing what they're doing has always been there, this new system exacerbates it significantly. As for adjusting expectations accordingly, the unfortunate adjustment most people will make is that they'll stop doing them, not learn to tolerate it. As I said, "People either need to accept (and enjoy) the vagaries (and rewards) of this new system...or not."
    It's only day one of RTFO so the jury will still be out (like you said) on this preexisting problem being "exacerbated." Also I disagree that "most people" will just quit queuing altogether if somehow it turns out that people are failing continuously. They'll just do what they did with RA's. They'll switch to normal difficulty (RA's were normal) and do content that they are actually capable of completing.
    As for root causes about why this system needed to be implemented to address empty queues and lack of player participation, the idea that adding another carrot/stick reward approach to the one they've just created to get people to participate is a self-evident band aid. By definition, it would be merely addressing another cascading symptom of the participation problem if people wouldn't join the new system to do ground queues if it were separated from the space queues.
    So what is the problem you believe is causing it and what is your suggestion? That's what I asked before and for whatever reason, you don't have a suggestion and won't articulate the problem beyond vague statements. Therefore I'll do it for you.

I've seen numerous posts over the years from tons of people that absolutely hate ground. They like space but hate ground game play no matter what. I tend to prefer ground myself but I also like space. But I understand that a lot of people don't like ground at that they play STO specifically for the space portion of the game.

Therefore separating space and ground into different random choices would be reasonable IMO. Like I said, I do believe that the devs chose not to do this so as to not leave ground queues unfilled. Therefore, if they do change this, then something would need to be done to incentivize ground play. And it would have to be a plausible suggestion. A full game-wide ground revamp isn't plausible.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Why would I do that? I can solo normal in like 5 min unless it is time gated. Other than the fact that I would probably AFK at least half the people in normal...if this new system makes advanced queues so bad that it becomes basically unplayable...that is a BAD thing. And when I say useless...I don't mean does not have enough DPS to handle the queue. I can make up for that even in advanced. I mean they are so bad that they actively make it HARDER to solo the advanced queue. With things like dragging groups of mobs over to me because they are a moron. So yeah...if the new system is gonna make advanced unplayable...you don't think that is a BAD thing?

Well, you raged about RA's being removed and RA's were normal difficulty. Plus you said you almost exclusively played RA's. So presumably you should have no problem playing random on normal. Also, the RTFO system changes nothing about advanced pugging. Useless players could pug advanced yesterday and can still do so today. So I don't know what you're on about.
  • Options
    thraawn5thraawn5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    You guys know that you can select to run SPACE,.GROUND OR MIXED right?
    look for the selector at the bottom left hand side.
  • Options
    thraawn5 wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum. The RTFO system does not allow you to choose between space and ground. To choose between space and ground, you have to start a queue that others with enter with you via selecting random on their end.
  • Options
    zorky63zorky63 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Not a fan .
    I can understand why people are doing it, as it "conveniently" dropped when ppl needed more marks, but once that's done ... , I doubt it will be as active as yesterday .

Out of the 3 space one's I got, none made the optionals, one just imploded with 2 ppl leaving and I really really had hoped never again to hear "the timeline is changing! " , but alas I had to settle for it as I don't like to leave my team ... , but the temptation was really high there .

Ironically, one of the STF's I got was the TRIBBLE starbase defense, and with the removal of starbase 24 ... , I found myself mumbling "wow .. , the timeline really is changing ..." . :/
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I must admit my first impression is a good one.

Immediate popping maps is something I only see during event times and the additional rewards I got so far are fair in light of the “risk” that comes with the randomness. I ended up in Counterpoint and Swarm so both space on my two tries yesterday. Not maps with particular good effort/reward ratios before but maps with good effort/reward rations *after the additional reward* is taken into account.

I also like the idea that players lining up for regular maps are the ones who trigger the additional pool of random players to be funneled there now. No CD time on a certain mark type also means I can work on reputations as side quest and thanks to the randomness never have to focus on specific ones I don’t like ever again.

Some things are better not judged too fast but clear thumbs up from me for now about the random TFOs.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, so far so good for me.. but I understand that this is very much a random thing.

I also pulled Swarm Advanced first time.. that went well.

Next one I got was Cure Advanced.. that got a little dicey because no one seemed to realize that you have to defend the Kang. Luckily, I noticed and pulled back to 'play defense.' I was able to protect it while everyone attacked the Borg (one guy finally pulled back to help defend.) It ended up successful though.. so cool.

Third and final one I did was Storming the Spire Advanced.. hadn't done that one in a while, so it was kinda cool.. though it's a long map. Went well enough, had a couple guys that struggled to stay alive, but the rest of us were able to compensate and succeed.

I realize again though.. that this experience is random. I could try tomorrow and get nothing but garbage, but so far it's been pretty good overall. I did notice that the mark and dilithium reward is much better then just normal queuing so I was happy about that. I am hoping that Cryptic isn't going to leave these rewards for a week to get everyone pulled in and then nerf it later.. I think right now the rewards are appropriate for the time invested. Sometimes you get the reward for a short run, other times you have to put in more time.. it's a gamble, but overall the reward seems adequate.

Truth is, I don't object to the idea of random queues overall, the part I object to is the extra measures they took to promote this system. Things like removal or red alerts, hiding the player count in the queues, stuff like that. Had they skipped all that garbage and just added this as a feature, I would have a lot more positive overall view.

I also ran the new Starbase Defense Advanced a few times.. I like that one and it pops quickly so it's a good alternative to random and rewards multiple marks.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Uhm, I have a (probably stupid) question.

I had no chance to test RTFO on tribble as nobody was there doing them when I wanted to but do we know for sure the main space/ground/both filter of the main queue selection does not address the RTFOs as well?

I mean:
    I've gotten three ground queues so far
    *cough*
    zorky63 wrote: »
    Out of the 3 space one's I got
    *cough* *cough*
    I ended up in Counterpoint and Swarm so both space on my two tries yesterday.
    *cough* *cough* *cough*

Probably just coincident but in light of the limited testing time it would be great if anybody could confirm that he had space pre-filtered and still was sent to ground in a random TFO or vice versa. Just don't have select both pls.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Well original post you're at least doing it the right way.

Because most of all the runs that I've done have been ground and the hate is just boiling over.

The players that don't like Ground events are upset and have no interest in doing the mission the right way, which is frustrating the players that do know how to do it.

It seems that this random system is just there to fill up all the half queued missions that are waiting to be filled.

For example, if two players queue for a specific mission those two players have to wait until another three players queues for that same exact mission.

With this new random system, the system will take it's pool of players, let's say 8 players join the random Q it will take 3 of the 8 players and stick them in the queue that needs the three players to start the event.

So that means there is no longer a specific queue you can confidently sign up for, and what's worse, you won't get the bonus Mark and dilithium for it, but you will get the bonus frustration of losing the regular marks that you normally get for completing the mission before the timer runs out.

Isn't that crazy.

If you specifically pick a specific mission and have all the necessary equipment for it and queue for it, you will most likely be teamed with players that are not prepared for it and will most likely cost you the extra marks that the mission gives out for completing the mission before Time Runs Out.

But that's not the crazy part, the crazy part is the player that was put in there randomly will come out making more marks and more dilithium then you, even though they screwed up the mission because they didn't know how to do it.

🤯

Out of 12 queues that I played today, at least four of them threatened other players that they were going to be reported for not participating.

So I can only imagine how many troll reports Cryptic is going to get from this day forward.

All I can say is the drama is real and to have some popcorn at the ready and TRIBBLE the mission and just enjoy the flame that erupts in team chat.
  • Options

I found this quite funny because the switch was originally at the top of the page and Cryptic decided to hide it at the very bottom corner.

Looks like Cryptic doesn't want you to limit your choices.
  • Options
    jrq2 wrote: »

I found this quite funny because the switch was originally at the top of the page and Cryptic decided to hide it at the very bottom corner.

Looks like Cryptic doesn't want you to limit your choices.

Can you confirm please if it works or not for the RTFO? :)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    I just ran into another thing that's wrong with this system.

What happens if you're teamed with several players that don't speak the same language, that's going to make explaining the mission impossible.

So even if you wanted to put up your wall of text of do's and don'ts of the mission it could literally be pointless if you realize that they don't understand what you just typed out.

Can this system get any worse?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

What happens if you're teamed with several players that don't speak the same language, that's going to make explaining the mission impossible.

So even if you wanted to put up your wall of text of do's and don'ts of the mission it could literally be pointless if you realize that they don't understand what you just typed out.

Oh my god, are you serious or just kidding?

I mean you just stumbled over something here that seems to have slipped by the entire player base in this almost 9 year old game.

I’m shocked. :|
    animated.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2018

Are you seriously blaming language barriers in an MMO on the Random Queue system?

[Edit] Connor got in before me - Language barriers have always been a thing, welcome to online gaming. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.