test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"The Day Everything Changed."

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
A peaceful day at Starfleet Academy is shattered by a declaration of war in our latest fiction blog!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11006523

Comments

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I prefer the Gregorian Calendar more than the Julian.

Too bad Gregory the Great didn't fix the mess that Octavius, aka Augustus Caesar, had made of Julius' calendar.

Edit: Looking further down, and it's another tossing out TOS. Holodecks? Holodecks was a new technology that often ran into problems in the first season of TNG!

If we have to accept low-grade holotechnology for computers, then why push it further into TNG-level holodecks?

If it was doing a simulation of the events of Discovery Era events from STO's current time, but to have holotechnology '10 years before Kirk on the Enterprise' is a bit much.
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    I like it. Well done.

Edit: Looking further down, and it's another tossing out TOS. Holodecks? Holodecks was a new technology that often ran into problems in the first season of TNG!

If we have to accept low-grade holotechnology for computers, then why push it further into TNG-level holodecks?

If it was doing a simulation of the events of Discovery Era events from STO's current time, but to have holotechnology '10 years before Kirk on the Enterprise' is a bit much.

Holotechnology has existed to varying degrees since United Earth. I'm willing to accept that Starfleet Academy would be on the forefront of said technology and have a crude version of it installed as a holodeck on campus for teaching purposes rather than recreation. I don't envision full forested environments there like in TNG, but a basic obstacles and targets formed from image projections and forcefields.

I look at holodeck progression like the graphics progression of gaming. United Earth had something like "Space Invaders" with their little holodrone target while TNG Federation is using something beyond the realm of "Ready Player One." DSC Starfleet Academy would be close to N64 "Goldeneye" levels at best.

And remember The Animated Series had a rather advanced holodeck on the Enterprise.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    "holodecks" as by that name were brand shiney new for TNG... holograpic simulations in some level sure were around before this... but gods damn is there 0 care among the dev fan TRIBBLE fiction writers??? A little quality control goes a long way
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I prefer the Gregorian Calendar more than the Julian.

Too bad Gregory the Great didn't fix the mess that Octavius, aka Augustus Caesar, had made of Julius' calendar.

Given that Kirk used holodecks.....
    latest?cb=20081111143823&path-prefix=en
    REPENT HERETIC!

Or something….
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    Scary! Nobody wants to be in that generation that gets called to arms.

I wonder if all the characters from this blog are blog-only, or if some of the name-dropped cadets make an appearance in "Secrets" and "Downfall".
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Given we already have holograph interface devices and virtual experiences it's hardly a stretch that by DISC they'd have something at least a little more advanced. ST:D is a mere ten years before Kirk et al (wouldn't they be cadets during the Discovery timeline? obviously I'm not a true fan boy. :) )

Real life stuff: the first static 3D holograph was in 1962. The first animated 3D moving figures was in 1972. Last year a team created the "Optical Trap Display" (OTD) which is almost as good as the fictional holographs in ST:TAS.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25176.epdf

I didn't think TAS was considered canon these days though.
  • jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    "holodecks" as by that name were brand shiney new for TNG... holograpic simulations in some level sure were around before this... but gods damn is there 0 care among the dev fan **** fiction writers??? A little quality control goes a long way

This would not be the first time the writers forgot to do their research, just remember, the Enterprise at one point had over 78 decks.

• centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Okay, can we stop fixating on the holodecks thing. The overreaction here is getting petty.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited October 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    The devs are working with the source material, the source material does NOT agree on when the Federation started using holodecks.

It's entirely possible the reference to holodecks being "new" in TNG was actually about it being an improved version with functionality the older versions didn't. As I mentioned before, KIRK used one on the NCC-1701! Was that a model inferior to the one Riker used? probably.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    The devs are working with the source material, the source material does NOT agree on when the Federation started using holodecks.

It's entirely possible the reference to holodecks being "new" in TNG was actually about it being an improved version with functionality the older versions didn't. As I mentioned before, KIRK used one on the NCC-1701! Was that a model inferior to the one Riker used? probably.
    Indeed

For all we know there "holodecks" in the 2250s can only visual illusion of being bigger then they are but it breaks the moment you hit a wall (literally) and the thing that was so advanced about 2360s holodecks was not in fact existance of holographic technology in and of it, but rather that it can now successfully prevent to be a space far bigger then the actual dimension of the room itself.

I think the graphics comparison is rather apt, though I would say it's more like how games have evolved over the years. Not so long ago STO would have been considered revolutionary in terms of graphics, sound and AI complexity, but it doesn't mean that STO was the first game ever to have those 3.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    The "Rec Room" which is the primitive Holodeck in TAS, also appears in TMP so pre-TNG holodecks have been canon since before TNG was even considered.

The only mistake is saying they were new in TNG because at the time there was controversy over whether TAS was canon or not.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I am just not convinced the Discovery-style holodeck has a need for "safeties": It didn't seem to involve hand-to-hand combat, which could suggest its really purely holographic, without being able to simulate physical interaction. On the other hand, that's on the Discovery, what Starfleet Academy has available could be different.

Aside from that:

I wonder if we'll hear those cadet names again? Will we fight along their side? Will we find them with Bat'leth wounds or slowly freezing in some ship wreck?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    The answer to the teacher's question is 249702.2
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    according to which stardate system? there are like, over 9000 of them out there, all giving a different stardate for plugging in any given real date​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > according to which stardate system? there are like, over 9000 of them out there, all giving a different stardate for plugging in any given real date​​

The TNG era system. The only one that's consistent and makes any sense. But yeah back in the Discovery era who knows. Discovery's first season stardates were exactly like TOS first season.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Is that the day that Red Alerts became 'Once in a Blue Moon' Red Alerts? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns