test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    So much raging and hate for something so awesome. :disappointed:

Relax and enjoy Star Trek folks, there's something in there for everyone.

I, for one, am looking forward to "The age of Discovery", I think that the game going along with an active Star Trek TV show is very good for the game itself. Plus, I kinda' like DISCO - sure it started off weird but it really developed during the first season. More Star Trek is always better. Sure, if the game stayed true to it's initial time frame we might have a discussion here, but since STO has grown into a mixture of different Star Trek elements and shows anyway, I don't get the problem with DISCO. *shrugs*
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    So much raging and hate for something so awesome. :disappointed:

Relax and enjoy Star Trek folks, there's something in there for everyone.

I, for one, am looking forward to "The age of Discovery", I think that the game going along with an active Star Trek TV show is very good for the game itself. Plus, I kinda' like DISCO - sure it started off weird but it really developed during the first season. More Star Trek is always better. Sure, if the game stayed true to it's initial time frame we might have a discussion here, but since STO has grown into a mixture of different Star Trek elements and shows anyway, I don't get the problem with DISCO. *shrugs*

<3<3<3
    JtaDmwW.png
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I was afraid this would happen when Martok named T'Kuvma, Voq and L'rell had the end of the Home episodes. Please keep this abomination out of STO. (Vulgarity removed - BMR) is not even remotely Star Trek and as a Klingon fan it is even insulting to have another "event" aimed at the Blue side alone.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
    ibukee wrote: »
    NO , this is NOT Star Trek !
    Are you trying to drive half the playerbase off?! Because that's how you drive half the playerbase off.

I couldn't agree more. I always loved STO even during the content drought but Discovery is an insult to me. Definitely not happy about it. I really liked ViL and I was eager to see what was coming next but now I feel betrayed. Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Response to moderated post redacted. — StarSword-C

It has been said before but is worth repeating; it is very sad that the hallmark of a 'True Star Trek fan' seems to now be their ability and authority to declare others to not be Star Trek fans based on the kind of Star Trek material they enjoy.

Star Trek was an ideal that fans kept alive for 50 years. Discovery destroyed all of what we held dear. No matter what they say this is not and never will be Star Trek. Period. I have no problem with you liking it. It is still not Star Trek. You can put a Cadillac logo on a Chevette but it will still be a Chevette.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    I didn't like most of season 1 of Discovery. The Mirror Universe stuff was about all I liked of it. If the MU aspect of Discovery isn't where this stuff is focused, I won't be interested. For those that like Discovery, I hope it lives up to your exoectations.

More content is always welcome! Star Trek Online needs more of everything, including stuff I have no interest in.

I would really like a MU Captain Tilly BO though! :D
    > @dracounguis said:
    > reyan01 wrote: »
    >
    >
    > And whether you like it or not, DSC IS canon. It has been said before but is worth repeating;
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > CBS says it's canon. They own it and can call it whatever they want.
    > Trek fans say its not Prime.
    > Those are 2 different things.
    > CBS can make as many alternate timelines as they want. Some might actually be good.
    > But don't be fooled to think that CBS labeling it Prime timeline is anything other than a cashgrab.
    > If they had any morals they'd have done like BSG. Say it's a reboot/re-imagining/ whatever and live or die on the shows own merits instead of falsely hanging on to Prime's coat-tails.

It’s still Prime

Nope.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    valoreah wrote: »
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    I was afraid this would happen when Martok named T'Kuvma, Voq and L'rell had the end of the Home episodes. Please keep this abomination out of STO. Shitcovery is not even remotely Star Trek and as a Klingon fan it is even insulting to have another "event" aimed at the Blue side alone.

How do you know there won't be any KDF content?

TRIBBLE you make a new FED. It is FED content... with several "cross" faction stories. Most likely written with a fed perspective and you shoehorn KDF/Rom/JHD that acts like a FED.

game never should of have different factions since it never fully did pvp at all. you go into sector space and you could never start a fight with the opposite faction.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    dmt wrote: »
    So let's also talk about the discussions to remove TOS from the Star Trek Canon because of differences with Discovery
    TOS has been so heavily retconned over the years that for all practical purposes everything in it is apocryphal. We know the basic broad strokes are true-ish, but the specifics of it are at best uncertain.
    > @reyan01 said:
    Wouldn’t a “true fan” ironically be someone who does like Discovery and all of Star Trek?

So everyone should stop using that as a point

So a Star Wars fan MUST love Jar-Jar and the prequel triolgy because it's stars wars? A Terminator fan must love the 3 and genesys because it's terminator?
    I DO love T3 and Genesys! I'm actually a big enough Terminator nerd to play a character, in STO, whose backstory is that he's a Liberated Borg Terminator!
    > @starswordc said:
    > avoozuul wrote: »
    >
    > Paying for merchandise is not the same thing as paying to watch a show, and furthermore the shows used to not be free to watch. ;)
    >
    > They were never free to watch. You paid for it by putting your eyeballs on the advertising that came with it.
    >
    > "If you aren't paying money, you are the product."

That was why TOS was cancelled by CBS back in the day......the audience it attracted was too resistant to the ads.
    Actually it was because the beancounters miscounted the ratings and wrongly concluded it was no longer popular. That's why they made TAS, they wanted to make a season 4 and had already ditched most of the physical props.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Skimming through all of this I see nearly the same reaction that you guys had when Kelvin Timeline content got added into the game. (Ships, mission, equipment, characters) and yet you willingly fly said ships, use said equipment and even have some of the boffs, doffs and what not. I'm gonna call it now. In a few months time I'll see a lot of Discovery uniforms, Discovery ships, Discovery weapons being used and for a singular reasons. The stats are probably gonna be pretty sweet. But hey time will tell I guess. ;)

People would fly a ship that looks like the poo emoji if the stats were good enough.
  • harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    So, is the ESRB rating going to be changed so that characters can use the language they use on the show?

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Let's play DISCOVERY BINGO.....

Damn it! I never win! :D
    V0Q7TSt.jpg

edited July 2018
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    YES, however I am sure you would love your Trek like this >

37840496_10156218775660358_1213097011490848768_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0c44b007b373245b3660116f74e3cf51&oe=5BD713BA

So "That 70s Show" should have dressed in modern clothes because it wasn't made in the 70s? ;)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @dracounguis said:
    > So "That 70s Show" should have dressed in modern clothes because it wasn't made in the 70s? ;)

That 70s Show depicts a real-life time period. Star Trek does not. Apples and potatoes.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    JIt’s like people forgot that the difference between TOS and TNG was pretty massive at first and that all played out nicely.

TNG wasn't a prequel it was decades LATER. Things change over time. People understand that.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    And more importantly, everyone misses the point: Do you think they're allowed to simply NOT have this tie-in? Hell, CBS probably has a gun to their heads insisting it.

Most likely, which means the marketing team from CBS is probably involved and the likelihood of them having any clue about the storyline in STO is not high. They may be demanding that Cryptic push TRIBBLE on the STO fanbase and will do more harm than good since if the push is too strong and too much so that players cannot avoid TRIBBLE content, they will drive many of us away and likely either damage or even kill STO off due to a loss of paying players. I'm not saying there should not be TRIBBLE content, I'm saying that if they try to FORCE that content on players via missions, or any type of requirements for existing characters, they will shoot themselves in the foot.

In all my viewings of the Ten Forward weekly when I got to watch it, it seemed like the STO devs were particularly excited about Discovery and definitely wanted to squeeze Discovery story content into the game.

CBS I think only had a hand in the 50th anniversary stuff for the game prior where they wanted to make sure STO did the franchise justice.

CBS I think here is actually more on the lines of asking them if they can incorporate the Discovery content in order to help give the series more presence in a game that they're licensing. They probably came to them some time ago while VIL was in design and they had to wait until they could get it finished before they could start work on Discovery content.
    You want a TRIBBLE? fine (i could put in some joke here, but not in the mood), make it separate game, do NOT BRING THIS S..T into STO. I always saw STO as a last bastion of proper star trek, i overlooked the slight hints at TRIBBLE before now, but if you will incorporate that FAKE CASH GRAB show into the game, you will lose player base. Every Star trek show before now at least TRIED to keep in continuity, and at very least explain why diffrences (klingons from original series vs tng for example) or Enterprise that made actual effort to LOOK an FEEL as a predecessor to original series. even JJtrek at VERY least cut itself from actual startrek timeline to allow itself creative freedoms. TRIBBLE is NOT startrek and should not be mixed with it, you want game in it, separate it at very least, so those of us who dont want to have anything to do with it, can.

It's honestly pretty late for you to ask that they not mix Discovery in with the game. It's already happened with the Discovery Lock box and the Discovery uniforms that were given out for free.
    I was afraid this would happen when Martok named T'Kuvma, Voq and L'rell had the end of the Home episodes. Please keep this abomination out of STO. (Vulgarity removed - BMR) is not even remotely Star Trek and as a Klingon fan it is even insulting to have another "event" aimed at the Blue side alone.

As I already stated, it's too late for them to not put Discovery content into the game considering that they've put icondic ships into the game already.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Response to moderated post redacted. — StarSword-C

It has been said before but is worth repeating; it is very sad that the hallmark of a 'True Star Trek fan' seems to now be their ability and authority to declare others to not be Star Trek fans based on the kind of Star Trek material they enjoy.

Star Trek was an ideal that fans kept alive for 50 years. Discovery destroyed all of what we held dear. No matter what they say this is not and never will be Star Trek. Period. I have no problem with you liking it. It is still not Star Trek. You can put a Cadillac logo on a Chevette but it will still be a Chevette.

Discovery in my mind hasn't destroyed ANYTHING. Do things look different? Yes. That is to be expected. Except for some glaring things like the use of holographic projections instead of the viewscreen and a drive that they decide to put the breaks on using for now, most of what we see with the show is a visual upgrade that should be fitting of a show produced in the 2010s, not something from 1960s.

The Klingons I got used to. It doesn't matter to me that they look the way they do now. If they get around to explaining in universe the difference, I will accept it just as we got an in-universe explanation on why the TNG Klingons turn into the TOS Klinogns.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    valoreah wrote: »
    I was afraid this would happen when Martok named T'Kuvma, Voq and L'rell had the end of the Home episodes. Please keep this abomination out of STO. Shitcovery is not even remotely Star Trek and as a Klingon fan it is even insulting to have another "event" aimed at the Blue side alone.

How do you know there won't be any KDF content?

Cause there hasn't been any lately? KDF is essentially the appendix of STO. It's there, but doesn't do anything. :D
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @dracounguis said:
    > So "That 70s Show" should have dressed in modern clothes because it wasn't made in the 70s? ;)

That 70s Show depicts a real-life time period. Star Trek does not. Apples and potatoes.

TOS was a real life time period. 1966 Hollywood Sci-Fi period. ;)
    I got all Ven in Word to express myself!

If TRIBBLE is in STO like KT was, then ok. Something like...
    ITaXdMn.png

But if its more like this below... then NO!!!!!
    gZuBCVX.png

• richyrich1991richyrich1991 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @dracounguis said:

TOS was a real life time period. 1966 Hollywood Sci-Fi period. ;)

TOS wasn't set in 1966 though, it's set in 2265. So it needs to look like the future.
    "As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
    This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Victory is Life!"
    njflWNG.jpg
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    I liked parts of Discovery, and disliked parts of Discovery. I think that it had a stronger first season than any series from TNG on, and the trailer for season 2 looks fun.
    My worry is that they're going to have another character drive. I'm up to 7 characters, and aren't really excited about getting any more. I've only run the latest season with my Jem'Hadar to get stuff for my other characters.
  • daimonion13#5412 daimonion13 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    To all Discovery defenders - we can argue about story and lore (I think Disc is very badly written, it's just generic s-f shooting, but if someone likes it - fine by me, de gustibus non est disputandum). But you can't change visuals... If you want it, just don't make prequels, simple as that. Set the show some time after Voyager and done. But if you're making a prequel, you can't blame people for being angry about devastating everything what was established. It's called continuity. Imagine a book. In first chapter John Smith has a dog named Porthos, and in last chapter he has a cat called Spot - and he pretends it's the same pet and he always had a cat. If it's not intended surrealistic writing and Smith isn't psychically ill, then it doesn't make a sense - so why we should pretend that Discovery has?:)
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    I got all Ven in Word to express myself!

If TRIBBLE is in STO like KT was, then ok. Something like...
    ITaXdMn.png

But if its more like this below... then NO!!!!!
    gZuBCVX.png

Actually this is how it is worked out....

MeNLBXI.png
    JtaDmwW.png