What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[THE ORViLLE] | Season Two |

Comments

• Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    i think, melmacians would fit nicely in the Orville universe ..

latest?cb=20090703152955
    Post edited by garaks31 on
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hmm... I dunno... they seem too intelligent.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »

29542472_10156027834487850_3913490780893066039_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d726cbdd648e2e5e1de8fb8714d6b79c&oe=5B5486DD

It would be so cool to spot a Melmacian down on Engineering behind a console furry hands pressing buttons or moving a lever or two. :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    we can sacrifice them first when Cthulhu starts demanding sacrifices.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User

29542472_10156027834487850_3913490780893066039_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d726cbdd648e2e5e1de8fb8714d6b79c&oe=5B5486DD

It would be so cool to spot a Melmacian down on Engineering behind a console furry hands pressing buttons or moving a lever or two. :smiley:

But what about the poor bridge cat?
  • Options

But what about the poor bridge cat?

No problem, so long as she stays on the bridge. :p
  • Options
    so the Melmacians would be banned from the bridge?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

Don't want to risk temptation, right?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Actually, they are allowed on the bridge as long as they are willing to undergo a lobotomy that removes the section of their brain that makes cats so delicious. Of course, this procedure permanently exiles them from Melmac and Melmacian colonies.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Actually, they are allowed on the bridge as long as they are willing to undergo a lobotomy that removes the section of their brain that makes cats so delicious. Of course, this procedure permanently exiles them from Melmac and Melmacian colonies.
    which would explain why they're on your ship....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see between The Orville and Discovery, which Season 2 will represent the iconic message of Star Trek better.

"Space: the final frontier....to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!"

So far Season 1 of The Orville represented that message far better than Season 1 of Discovery. The only instances I can remember of Discovery seeking out new life and new civilizations is the aliens from the first few minutes of Discovery which had to deal with preventing their extinction from an accident and the Pahvans and the Terran Empire. The Pahvans and the Terran Empire instances had to deal with creating anti-cloaking technology or escaping the Klingons instead of for the pure joy of meeting a new civilization. The Orville has 5 episodes that deal with encountering new civilizations, the race that puts Mercer and Grayson in a zoo, the race that doesn't realize their world is a massive starship, the race that has social media go to far, the race that are living a post-apocalyptic nightmare, and the race that experiences time quickly
  • Options
    The Orville has 5 episodes that deal with encountering new civilizations, the race that puts Mercer and Grayson in a zoo, the race that doesn't realize their world is a massive starship, the race that has social media go to far, the race that are living a post-apocalyptic nightmare, and the race that experiences time quickly
    Most of those sound like they rehashed scripts from TOS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    The Orville has 5 episodes that deal with encountering new civilizations, the race that puts Mercer and Grayson in a zoo, the race that doesn't realize their world is a massive starship, the race that has social media go to far, the race that are living a post-apocalyptic nightmare, and the race that experiences time quickly

True enough. The one with their world as a massive starship is reminiscent of a TNG episode where the alien species was on the Holodeck and the last one is straight from Voyager. But even if they are rehashed scripts, it is more than what Discovery did.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Since both shows use the stage of science fiction to illustrate aspects of human life it is natural that core themes are repeated between the two.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    As with Cap'n Foley, I like this......OPTIMISM, FINALLY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMi1cY7gU1U
    This, I feel, will be a new Trek to me. :) ~happy dance~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Well, looking forward to it.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    OOO I just saw The Orville season 2 trailer on my Facebook feed. Wow! I can't wait until December. :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    But apples and oranges are both fruit... you eat both of them and they both have nutritional value... If you can't compare them then what can you compare? :p Joking aside, I don't see why people try to avoid comparing two shows of the same genre, especially when they are both inspired by the same fifty plus year old pop culture icon. This isn't Highlander, there doesn't have to only be one that survives.

I'll admit I haven't seen Discovery aside from the pilot (which didn't impress me), but the two shows are quite clearly competitors for the same general audience. They have simply tackled things from different angles. Discovery has chosen to be grittier, darker, and at times more self-important, while Orville has chosen to be lighter and more inviting, poking fun at the genres sillier traditions.
  • Options
    The reason I don't like Orville is that it feels too much like a sitcom for my liking. :p Some people like them, I find them to be insipid.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I'm surprised people often citing the orville would be too focused on it's comedy. But in my opinion it really isn't. It's episodes have the same general flow as classic TNG episodes, the only thing they really tried to do is make the banter more "real" with people acting like present day people, not "future people" who stopped having a pop culture. The humour can't always be a hit of course. It's humour and thus highly subjective. However comparing it to a sitcom (of which there are also different types) I personally can't understand.

The show's biggest weakness is the restriction to network TV episodes, having to make a hard cut to save time. That has more than once struck episodes decisively. Farlane should try to get a streaming partner as soon as possible.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou