test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Theories on possible future story hooks!

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
So with the Hur'q plot in full swing, as well as heavy indications of future Jem'Hadar Freedom, and Klingon internal politics, plotlines coming up, I was thinking about what could happen after this is all wrapped up.

We have now covered most of the known Alpha and Beta Quadrant, a good swath of the Delta Quadrant, and a good sized chuck of the Gamma Quadrant as well. Maybe we could see some smaller conflicts like the 2800, Breen, or Tzenkethi conflicts. Something that isn't a "the galaxy is doomed" threat while we wait for the next one.

Races I can think of could include the Sheliak, the T'kon, and maybe even get to see the Kelvans from TOS. One thing I would be interested in seeing is the old "Children of Khan" story being brought back up. Back before the featured series release style got canned Cryptic had set up the Children of Khan arc by having the leader of the group escape Facility 4028, but, so far, no one has found him.

Given that TNG is the only show(besides DISCO) that hasn't gotten an expansion yet, it would be cool to see a TNG themed expansion with some more of the TNG cast, like Riker, the Crushers, Troi, Data, Q, show up.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Well... we also have a confirmed existance of Iconian tech in Andromeda. You can't tell me that the Iconians didn't build at least one gate outside of the sphere in the Andromeda Galaxy. And with us having access to Iconian Gates in the Milky Way... Andromeda would be a total clean slate for original content. AND... we might get some of the much requested exploration if we expand into the Andromeda Galaxy.

The Sheliak are, frankly, too small to really cause trouble. The T'kon I think have passed into legend. Don't know about the Kelvans though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Maybe during the games 10th anniversary they might do something Andromeda based, you'll never know.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    At some point I'm expecting the Borg to return more powerful than ever. I like rattler2's idea of going to Andromeda as well.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    At some point I'm expecting the Borg to return more powerful than ever. I like rattler2's idea of going to Andromeda as well.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, they've been way too quiet of late...

Thinking about moving to the Gamma Q, 'cause you know, resistance is rather futile.
    The Sheliak have shown no interest in interacting with anyone. They're rather xenophobic, and have an EXTREMELY precise treaty with the Federation. And when I say extremely... I mean it took 300+ Federation Legal experts to draft it.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Sheliak
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    If we do get the Sheliak, we should do all we can to ensure cryptic doesn't allow that franken-ship Paramount used for that episode.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    If we do get the Sheliak, we should do all we can to ensure cryptic doesn't allow that franken-ship Paramount used for that episode.
    I always liked that "space catamaran."
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    How did things get resolved with the Voth? Or has it been relegated to a Warhammer 40k style of eternal war with them? Did they go the way of the dinosaur before the timeline event horizon?
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... we also have a confirmed existance of Iconian tech in Andromeda. You can't tell me that the Iconians didn't build at least one gate outside of the sphere in the Andromeda Galaxy. And with us having access to Iconian Gates in the Milky Way... Andromeda would be a total clean slate for original content. AND... we might get some of the much requested exploration if we expand into the Andromeda Galaxy.

The Sheliak are, frankly, too small to really cause trouble. The T'kon I think have passed into legend. Don't know about the Kelvans though.
    that would be very interesting.. however there is enough space to explore here too

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    There are two things that any future story (arc if we're done with the current one already) should answer imo:

1. What did the other Changelings think of the Founder's projects? They clearly weren't all involved, so what will their new policy be now that she's gone?
    2. Is she really gone? Dukan'rex seemed to have second thoughts upon scanning her remains.
    3. Were the Tzenkethi really behind the protomattering of planets? It seems she simply infiltrated the government and replaced the Autarkh. I hope to see what's happening next between the Alliance and the Tzenkethi then.

(Ok, that's three questions. Number two popped up while writing the first one.)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    How did things get resolved with the Voth? Or has it been relegated to a Warhammer 40k style of eternal war with them? Did they go the way of the dinosaur before the timeline event horizon?

While I'm a huge Voth fan, I don't think there's much room to explore them unfortunately. They seem to have been abandoned.

I always assumed that the Free Thinker movement became more popular and that they will eventually replace their Ministry of Lies.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Tholien invasion
    They don't invade other places why are they attacking?
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    At some point I'm expecting the Borg to return more powerful than ever.
    Hope not. There are far more interesting enemies that could be explored, far more interesting stories to be told.

Sorry, but in my view "oh no the Borg are back again" is not interesting. We've seen it all before, both in-game and on the TV series. In fact, if you look up Villan Decay on TV Tropes:
    tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainDecay
    The Borg have their own entry - and STO has done nothing to improve things.

The Borg are my personal favorite Trek race, so I just can't get enough of them :) I would however like to see any future iteration of them to actually represent the threat they were in the shows, imo players should not be able to solo anything larger than a sphere. I'd be really interested in seeing what they would do if they assimilated some Iconian tech.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    More tech, more power could make the Borg in theory an interesting enemy again.

I say in theory, because in practice we have encountered many more powerful enemies. The game has sold every new enemy of the season as the ultimate threat - that we've overcome. So it is very unlikely that the Borg will be more of a believable threat than the Vaadwaur or the Hur'q for that matter were.

The Iconians were the only enemy where I really felt that sense of 'ok, this is for real, we're fighting for the Galaxy's survival and life as we know it here'. And even there it could have been so much better with live events such as real time battles for core worlds, outer colonies and so on.

The Borg also suffer from reduced mysticism (if that's a word). They will never be that force of nature threat again because we have come to understand them pretty well - not least because of characters like Picard and Seven of Nine.

It's like watching a movie for the second time over. Even after many years and with many details forgotten, the movie itself will never leave as huge an impact as it might have done the first time.

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Mirror Universe!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    In just about every TNG era game, the Borg have been showcased as an enemy in some form or another.
    • Starfleet Command III - Not the enemy in the actual story campaign, but an enemy in the free play campaign
    • Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force - Used in the tutorial/first mission and later in a level of their own
    • Star Trek Elite Force II - Used in the tutorial/first mission
    • Star Trek Away Team - Apparently connected to the Warden threat
    • Star Trek Armada - Primary antagonist faction
    • Star Trek Armada II - Primary antagonist of the Federation campaign
    • Star Trek Legacy - ultimately the primary antagonist of the game
    • Star Trek Online - an early primary antagonist faction

The Borg are getting stale IMO. By 2409 Starfleet, and even the Klingons and Romulans, pretty much has the tactics and tech nailed down to fight the Borg on a relatively even footing. Knowledge gained from both Picard and Seven, combined with years of engagements, have defanged the Borg. Yes they are still a powerful threat, but they aren't the apocalyptic force they were back in TNG.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    The Borg are my personal favorite Trek race, so I just can't get enough of them :) I would however like to see any future iteration of them to actually represent the threat they were in the shows, imo players should not be able to solo anything larger than a sphere. I'd be really interested in seeing what they would do if they assimilated some Iconian tech.

What if the Borg assimilated T'Ket and she became the new Borg Queen?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Though, Cryptic is starting to run dry on things to mine out. for future enemies
    -We already got the two major races/factions from the GQ(Dominion/Hur'q) in ViL
    -We already have 10 of the 13 "major" groups in the Alpha/Beta Quadrant(Feds, Klingons, Romulans, Breen, Tholians, Cardassians, Ferengi, Kzinti, Gorn, Tzenkethi) in-game, and out of the remaining three, two are friendly(Metrons/First Federation), and the Talarains aren't really a threat.

To be hones,t barring a Kelvan invasion from Andromeda, the Delta Qudrant actually has the most possible content in terms of unexplored minor/major species.

Kzinti are a no go due to legal reasons. Its the same reason why they weren't in Starfleet Command 2. In general the Kzinti are owned by... I wanna say Larry Niven. And we only saw them in one episode of TAS and in the old Starfleet Battles tabletop game. Outside of that they're a no go. When SFC 2 came out they wanted the Kzinti, as they were a race in SFB. However due to legal reasons they couldn't, and came up with the Mirak to replace them. They play the same, but are a unique species.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    So how about Vega Colony? There's still an assimilated world smackdab in the core region of Federation space.
    2bnb7apx.jpg