test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you think They should keep the Old Ds9 Map as an option while adding in the new?

thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
Well I like the new more accurate version of the map but given what I heard. It isn't as big as the one we have now. I would like to see them keep the old one as an optional ds9 we can travel too. For those that like that one better. So should they keep the old ds9 map while adding in the new one as the main? What are your thoughts?

Do you think They should keep the Old Ds9 Map as an option while adding in the new? 72 votes

Yes
9%
stee1maxthevampinatorkhalifriadavidwfordalialiralapprenticelstorules 7 votes
No
81%
coldnapalmscififan78duncanidaho11saurializardbaddmoonrizinmattjohnsonvastrathkincrypticarmsmandavidp0418random909meimeitoozarato4218bloodyrizwhere2r1kodachikunoazrael605arliekkosrattler2seaofsorrowsspacehermit 59 votes
Other
8%
garaks31dracounguisdragnridrgradiiichaerus1locutusofcactus 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    No
    Kinda can't keep the old one around. In order to keep up with the new stuff, they'd have to add to the old one as well. Its doubling the work the Devs have to do. And honestly... its not going to benefit everyone. Just a small percentage of the playerbase who either don't like change or are hardcore RPers who hate the idea that new DS9 will have a smaller pop cap per instance.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Yes
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Kinda can't keep the old one around. In order to keep up with the new stuff, they'd have to add to the old one as well. Its doubling the work the Devs have to do. And honestly... its not going to benefit everyone. Just a small percentage of the playerbase who either don't like change or are hardcore RPers who hate the idea that new DS9 will have a smaller pop cap per instance.

I don' see why they would need to do anything with the old ds9 other then leaving the map in for those prefering to stay there.. Kinda like they should have kept the old space dock for those that liked it better. Anyways it don't matter. I do look forward to seeing the new ds9. Just made this poll for those that prefer the old and want to see that stay too.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    No
    I see no serious reason to keep the old one other than for missions they can't update easily.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    Yes
    I have tested the new one on Tribble and I am less than impressed. Besides being almost obnoxiously small(how DID they manage to film all of those camera shots?), it removes a number of critical NPCs for the sake of accuracy. While the old one was too big, the new one is too small. We need a middle ground map, and until then, I would prefer they keep both around.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Yes
    davidwford wrote: »
    I have tested the new one on Tribble and I am less than impressed. Besides being almost obnoxiously small(how DID they manage to film all of those camera shots?), it removes a number of critical NPCs for the sake of accuracy. While the old one was too big, the new one is too small. We need a middle ground map, and until then, I would prefer they keep both around.

Yeah maybe they should have done it in the middle. Well I've not tested it on tribble I might have if they had access to it a lot sooner then they did. But its coming out tomorrow. I'm sure there will be complaints about the size of it. We will see what happens.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    No

While the new map is indeed smaller than the old one, it is sill 50% upscaled from the actual set. Also, exactly what critical NPCs were removed? As best as I can recall, the NPCs have been moved to shops as opposed to simple alcoves.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    No
    No. That would be silly. Not to mention break immersion.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    No
    scififan78 wrote: »

While the new map is indeed smaller than the old one, it is sill 50% upscaled from the actual set. Also, exactly what critical NPCs were removed? As best as I can recall, the NPCs have been moved to shops as opposed to simple alcoves.

Not only that... apparently Roxy's got a new job... as a BOff Trainer!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    well I think they HAVE to keep the old map through the Cardassian struggle arc. either that or Shon is going to be hanging out in front of the ship vendor kiosk
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    No
    Its going to be like that one mission where the Undine attack ESD, that came just before the ESD revamp. The map in that mission uses a modded version of OLD ESD. Too much trouble to try and replace that segment of the mission. So Second Wave, Boldly They Rode, and Assault on Terrok Nor will use the old DS9 map.

And honestly the only way they COULD keep the old DS9 map as a social zone would be to open up Empok Nor. BUT... that would be redundant due to proximity to DS9. Kinda like how Bajor isn't used as much because of proximity to DS9.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    No
    It'll probably remain in the Foundery, that's good enough.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    No
    DS9 is getting an update.. best to just learn to be ok with it.

That or hang out someplace else.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    Other
    No. But leave it in the foundry.
  • Options
    cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    No
    no the old one is to outdated and needs to go away.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Other
    Remove the ridiculous NPC trains from the new map and its all good. If some idiot wants to troll an RP happening, report them, so they can be banned for harassment.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    No
    The only reason I wouldn't mind having it back is because there was less NPC clutter like there is on the new map. However that problem is easilly fixable by reducing clutter NPCs and to keep the station busy look, increase the player limit from 30 - 40 so you still have that busy look.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    No
    I like the series version of DS9.
    I'm not too crazy about the framerate taking a hit there, though.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Other
    Keep the population cap as is. Smaller area could do w/ an NPC reduction. Bring Woadie back in some capacity. I do like the new bar interior, with some of the tables having three chairs, and how the lighting doesn't blast me with a huge dose of gamma radiation even with the light settings on 50% or lower. The darker ambience feels much better to me. I shouldn't have to require shaded EYEPRO to go to the bar for a little downtime.
  • Options
    lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Yes
    The old DS9 is simply more user friendly, and better for low end systems.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    No

I don' see why they would need to do anything with the old ds9 other then leaving the map in for those prefering to stay there.. Kinda like they should have kept the old space dock for those that liked it better. Anyways it don't matter. I do look forward to seeing the new ds9. Just made this poll for those that prefer the old and want to see that stay too.

Those with a strong preference can still find the old map in the 2800 arc (it's not replaced for combat segments) and the Foundry if they're on PC. When it comes to something as particular as this one should try to explore their available options first before requesting the devs make significant procedural changes (ie. add even more beam-down options) to cater to that personal taste. ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Other
    If they save it, use it for missions to other cardassian space stations
  • Options
    autobotgoldbugautobotgoldbug Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    I would like to see the old one re-purposed as a different station. Maybe Empok Nor? or Cardassia's station
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    No
    The old DS9 is simply more user friendly, and better for low end systems.
    Having the bank and exchange at one end of the station and the ship NPCs at the other end, instead of just in front of each other across a corridor, is considered more user-friendly?

Also, the new DS9 has the best Klingon chef of the franchise and his accordion. That automatically renders the old one unappealing.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1