test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Kahless Return?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1kZUHbjW70

Opiate of the Masses
https://arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10887894-%22opiate-of-the-masses%22

Opiate of the Masses hints of Kahless' return. Or maybe it doesn't do that at all. What do you think?
f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.

Comments

• tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    They cloned the idiot once, another time wouldn't be out of the question.

The blog seemed to be talking about the dumbass that got himself killed for no reason but "I'm invincible and none can ever best me!", though.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • caffran76caffran76 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Ok, am I the only one who agreed with the scientist guy, not the crazy religious nut?
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,388 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    caffran76 wrote: »
    Ok, am I the only one who agreed with the scientist guy, not the crazy religious nut?

I found both to be unsympathetic, to be honest. One picks up a fight for no reason other than "science rules!" and the other turns it into a recess fight with weak arguments. It felt like a "creationist Vs scientist" fight, except neither was good at giving convincing arguments.

In fact, I don't really see what was the point of this blog, especially after the good "Moving Shadows" one.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Please no. Let Darwin Award candidates stay dead.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • tomgonjinn23tomgonjinn23 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    I feel like it would be the ultimate morale boost for the Klingons to have Kahless come back and fight THE enemy of the Empire. I liked cloned kahless so it would also be fun if they brought him back
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The romulans have sela come back like a bad smell and the feds have kurland (one episode that dragged on like a hundred)

Klinks need someone to be that overused figurehead.
    They have Martok, they don't need anyone else.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    They cloned the idiot once, another time wouldn't be out of the question.

The blog seemed to be talking about the dumbass that got himself killed for no reason but "I'm invincible and none can ever best me!", though.

I honestly do not feel that that was the point of his death. Yes he did die, but not before proving that The Iconians were not invincible.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    He may have proven that a bat'leth is a viable weapon (though really not) but even the klingon that formed his honor guard knew when to withdraw. He totally earned his Darwin Award. That and if I recall he really should have minded his own anecdotes ("A man cannot stand against a storm and win" was it?).
    oldracesbanner.jpg
    edited May 2018
    > @zedbrightlander1 said:
    > I honestly do not feel that that was the point of his death. Yes he did die, but not before proving that The Iconians were not invincible.

Oh, really?

The MISSION OBJECTIVE is to gather intelligence and gum up the works of the Iconian war machine. "If anyone knows what you did, you failed."

But Emperor Darwin Award instead sees an Iconian on a screen and goes gallivanting off to challenge it to single combat because he thinks it would make a better song. Considering that this is something that can A, teleport, and B, vaporize humanoids with a wave of its hand, IN WHAT UNIVERSE DOES ATTACKING IT WITH A POINTY STICK SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA?

The only reason he lasted that long was that T'Ket was miraculously even stupider than he was for actually dignifying the challenge instead of reducing him to a greasy smear on the spot. She just toys with him for a few minutes until SOMEBODY ELSE, a SCIENTIST, technobabbles her into submission.

And instead of pressing his unearned advantage and finishing T'Ket off, Emperor Darwin Award decides to strike a pose and monologue about honor. And thankfully for everyone's patience, talking is for once NOT a free action: it gives T'Ket time to recover and she spears him through he back because she's officially done playing games with the brain-dead moron.

And so, mission blown, the Klingons' purported super black ops unit and Captain Awesome, Savior of the Galaxy are forced to run away from a couple of low-level mooks with their tails between their legs.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    If Kahless returns it should be the real Kahless
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    If Kahless returns it should be the real Kahless

So Kevin Conway should do the voice acting, then? ;)
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Considering that this is something that can A, teleport, and B, vaporize humanoids with a wave of its hand, IN WHAT UNIVERSE DOES ATTACKING IT WITH A POINTY STICK SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA?
    By this backwards logic, in what universe does attacking Xerxes sound like a good idea when his armies outnumbered the Spartans many times over. Why didn't they just bend over and take it?

By your htinking, why should anyone, at all, ever, try to resist those that are seemingly more powerful then they are?

The Spartans had something called "Strategy" which allowed them to tie up the Persians. Those Spartans were really cunning.
    edited May 2018
    Taking on another human army that has greater numbers in an attempt to buy time for others to establish a proper defence is one thing, attacking a God using nothing but a pointy stick purely because ego honor demands it is a whole other matter entirely.

Very different scenarios.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Actually, while the Spartans may have lost the battle their act of sacrifice cost the Persians greatly, hence why it's not really called a loss but a Pyrrhic Victory. This is not the same. The Iconians, for striking down Kahless, lost very little. The real damage was more in the black eye it gave the Iconian in charge because, for all it did, noone gained anything for it. Whereas for the Persians it cost them a great deal of momentum and tarnished their reputation, that 300 could so easily stop a force of thousands and for so long.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
    edited May 2018
    To my knowledge, the 300 Spartans were also backed up by thousands of other Greeks for most of the fight. A bit less one-sided than usually evnvisioned, if only a little.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I liked the story. For a Klingon, there is no better way to die than in battle against fearsome odds. He almost killed the Iconian and with his sacrifice, the team escaped with the information to defeat the Iconians. A very good way to die!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,388 Arc User
    Considering that this is something that can A, teleport, and B, vaporize humanoids with a wave of its hand, IN WHAT UNIVERSE DOES ATTACKING IT WITH A POINTY STICK SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA?
    By this backwards logic, in what universe does attacking Xerxes sound like a good idea when his armies outnumbered the Spartans many times over. Why didn't they just bend over and take it?

By your htinking, why should anyone, at all, ever, try to resist those that are seemingly more powerful then they are?
    There is a difference between resisting via cunning, strategy and various other clever means in hope of making the army numbers either pointless or counterproductive, and "resisting" via charging heads-on with an oversized knife.

Kahless tried to fight a being that can only be killed via technobabble involving energy-drain and whose sister managed to wipe out most of the Klingon leadership in seconds with a few arm waves and looking bored... with a sword.

That move was like having the Infinity War's cast say: "I know how to stop Thanos! We tried nothing yet, but we're gonna ignore what Gamora said about him and his abilities, and send Hawkeye, with no backup whatsoever, shoot non-trick arrows at him, surely that'll work!".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    They have Martok, they don't need anyone else.

This. Also there's a Worf in the deck as well still. It worked great during the Dominion War.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    indyshark wrote: »
    I liked the story. For a Klingon, there is no better way to die than in battle against fearsome odds. He almost killed the Iconian and with his sacrifice, the team escaped with the information to defeat the Iconians. A very good way to die!
    Pretty much this. Kahless wounded an Iconian in hand to hand combat, that more than most can say.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited May 2018
    The universe where positioning themselves and the thousand or so other Greeks who are never talked about in a natural chokepoint allowed them to buy time for the rest of the army to regroup elsewhere, while fighting only the Persian troops that could actually fit into the chokepoint to reach them. I.e. the real world that Frank Miller's 300 is at best an approximation of. Heroic self-sacrifice? Absolutely. Intelligent strategy? Even more so. If they'd just charged the Persians with naked blades the way Emperor Darwin Award did with T'Ket, they would've been butchered to a man on day one.

Like I said in the other thread: use the strategy that plays to your strengths and the enemy's weaknesses. Outnumbered? Find a way to make your enemy's numbers not matter. For example, that wide-area cloak that House Pratfall's ship has with that was conveniently forgotten for the rest of the story. Using that to insert a commando team undetected to do some sabotage? Good strategy. Running off after unnecessary battles while singing about honor at the top of your lungs? Well, that runs counter to the objective and removes your only advantage, that the enemy doesn't know you're there, so it's bad strategy.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

patrickngo wrote: »
    indyshark wrote: »

kind of misses the point of Klingons then, what "Kahless" did was not glorious, it was stupid, it was the sort of thing a pacifist would invent when trying to write a warrior-a blind, fruitless and mission sabotaging move more akin to a sudden psychotic break, than it is to anything a warrior would actually do.

the point of battle is not to die, but to win. this is what separates the warriors from the wannabees.
    The universe where positioning themselves and the thousand or so other Greeks who are never talked about in a natural chokepoint allowed them to buy time for the rest of the army to regroup elsewhere, while fighting only the Persian troops that could actually fit into the chokepoint to reach them. I.e. the real world that Frank Miller's 300 is at best an approximation of. Heroic self-sacrifice? Absolutely. Intelligent strategy? Even more so. If they'd just charged the Persians with naked blades the way Emperor Darwin Award did with T'Ket, they would've been butchered to a man on day one.

Like I said in the other thread: use the strategy that plays to your strengths and the enemy's weaknesses. Outnumbered? Find a way to make your enemy's numbers not matter. For example, that wide-area cloak that House Pratfall's ship has with that was conveniently forgotten for the rest of the story. Using that to insert a commando team undetected to do some sabotage? Good strategy. Running off after unnecessary battles while singing about honor at the top of your lungs? Well, that runs counter to the objective and removes your only advantage, that the enemy doesn't know you're there, so it's bad strategy.

The true warrior does not pursue battle, he pursues victory and uses battle as one means. The defining trait of "House of Pegh" wasn't that Klingons were warriors, but rather that they were incompetent when presented with armed opposition.

and maybe that the ones in STO have bought in a little too deeply to their own propaganda. but then, the entire arc is rife with examples of this, including General "Uncloaked frontal attack on a superior enemy force".

yeah, like that would ever work for anything except thinning your own forces and demoralizing their replacements.

the one thing that is a takeaway, is that STO is written by people who don't understand basic tactics, strategy, or logistics, with no experience in conflict and no understanding of the basic principles.

but that's what you get when you give writing duty for a conflict, to conflict-averse people.

giphy.gif
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Yes, he will return...reincarnated as a ham sandwich.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!