test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Discovery - Season 2 casting speculations (**** spoilerish ****)

valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,726 Arc User
edited February 2018 in Ten Forward
Now that Season 1 of Discovery is over, we have some time to have some fun and speculate about who will be playing the familiar characters we are near guaranteed to see.

Based on the very last scene of Will You Take My Hand, it seems rather clear we'll be seeing Captain Pike and Spock. We also heard that Discovery was on her way to pick up her "new Captain".

So who do you want to see cast as;
  1. Christopher Pike
  2. Spock
  3. Discovery's new Captain

Do you think the new Captain will be a familiar character we've seen before or someone new?
Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
thecosmic1 wrote:
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    They'll cast people for the former two roles who look nothing like their KT or TOS actors (same for Number One and Boyce I expect).

For the latter I'm hoping they change track and promote Saru. Or give us an Andorian (haha, autocorrect have me American for Andorian and the last thing we need is another American or French captain).

Prove Starfleet isn't a Homo Sapians only club.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    For Pike and Spock if they can't get Greenwood and Quinto for one or two episodes then they shouldn't even bother tbh, just say they are in sickbay for some reason and have Number One be the highest ranking officer that we see on screen.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I really have no idea how they want to explain "why did Spock never talk of his sister" when they don't actually want to show him in any way.

I don't know if what they are saying is just misdirection for a bigger surprise (good look with that) when he appears, if they really have a plan that will work, or if they realize that their plan can't work and they rethink it before the season is completed.

No one can replace Leonard Nimoy. He will always be the real original Spock to me. But I am okay with them casting a new one for Discovery. If the acting and writing are solid, it should still be enjoyable.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    Prove Starfleet isn't a Homo Sapians only club.

Not sure I understand this as we have always seen plenty of aliens within the Federation and Starfleet including non-human Captains/Admiralty.

Spock in TOS, M'ress and three armed dude in minor roles in TAS, Spock, Saavik, and Valaris in the TOS films, Data and Worf in TNG, with Ro in a minor role, Dax (both of 'em), and Kira (for all of one episode), and Worf again in DS9, Tuvok in VGR (and the little girl with the spiky head in a very minor role), Keeser in TKT, and Saru in DSC.

That seems to be them all. Though out of those, one is half-Human, one was raised by Humans, and one aspires to be Human

Most main, recurring, and background characters have always been humanoid. Other than Vulcans, nine times out of ten, when there's an Admiral on the viewscreen, they're Human. Nine times out of ten, when there's a gruesome corpse on the floor of a research outpost somewhere, it's Human. Nine times out of ten, when an arrogant, former academy classmate of a crewmember comes aboard, they're Human.

Other than the half-Human Spock there have been no alien captains of the hero ships (Kira doesn't count, not being Starfleet or even Federation) or any major alien presence in the main casts other than the very Human Vulcans and Trill (until Saru anyway).​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options

That seems to be them all. Though out of those, one is half-Human, one was raised by Humans, and one aspires to be Human

Most main, recurring, and background characters have always been humanoid..

Other than the half-Human Spock there have been no alien captains of the hero ships (Kira doesn't count, not being Starfleet or even Federation) or any major alien presence in the main casts other than the very Human Vulcans and Trill (until Saru anyway).

Given that Star Trek is a show about exploring the human condition and what it means to be human, you are still finding this odd?

Did I say it was odd. I don't think I said it was odd.

I said I wanted a non-Human captain to show the supposedly diverse Federation actually is diverse.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Saru does seem to be the most alien main character in Star Trek. For truly alien looking main characters (more than just weird ears or forehead), TOS has none, TNG has none, DS9 has Quark, Rom, Nog, Odo, and Garak, Voyager has Neelix, Enterprise has Phlox, and Discovery has Saru. Starfleet has always been a human-centric organization. It is interesting how the only Nog and Saru are the only truly alien Starfleet main characters in Star Trek.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Now that Season 1 of Discovery is over, we have some time to have some fun and speculate about who will be playing the familiar characters we are near guaranteed to see.

Based on the very last scene of Will You Take My Hand, it seems rather clear we'll be seeing Captain Pike and Spock. We also heard that Discovery was on her way to pick up her "new Captain".

So who do you want to see cast as;
    1. Christopher Pike
    2. Spock
    3. Discovery's new Captain

Do you think the new Captain will be a familiar character we've seen before or someone new?

1. Sonequa Martin Green
    2. Doug Jones
    3. Anthony Rapp
    4. Mary Wiseman

Those four are expected to remain, i wouldn't be surprised if the other recurring characters become main cast;

1. Ronnie Rowe Jr.
    2. Sara Mitich
    3. Patrick Kwok-Choon
    4. Emily Coutts
    5. Oyin Oladejo

As to who will captain the Discovery? i'm not so sure Saru will be given command of the ship more permanently as he wasn't promoted to captain, so we might get another new character coming in to take over, unknown at this point as to who.

I am also suspicious of Pike and Spock making an entrance on Discovery, i mean it is like one of those ship to ship or ship to station meet ups your see occasionally on trek at the end of an episode. It doesn't mean they are expected to show up in next episode, in this case season 2. There are no gaurantees at all beyond hype because it shows up.

I suspect the closer we get to when Discovery airs, there will be plenty of news in the media sites that could allude to a TOS connection more solidly, at that point a speculative discussion would be more productive at that point.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    I doubt it'll be Saru; they'd have done so already otherwise, and just had them launch on their next mission rather than heading to Vulcan. I'm half expecting it to be Prime Lorca though.
    For the latter I'm hoping they change track and promote Saru. Or give us an Andorian (haha, autocorrect have me American for Andorian and the last thing we need is another American or French captain).
    I would love this, if for no other reason than I loved the portrayal of the Andorian's in Enterprise, and of the founding species (of which I know included Tellaries) the Andorians do seem popular among fanfiction. No show however has ever given us a Captain that isn't human, and whilst I hope DSC is capable of changing that, I wouldn't hold out hope of it!
    For Pike and Spock if they can't get Greenwood and Quinto for one or two episodes then they shouldn't even bother tbh, just say they are in sickbay for some reason and have Number One be the highest ranking officer that we see on screen.
    Or... not? I'm more than happy for new actors to take on the roles.
    hawku001x wrote: »
    T'Pol for Captain!
    Whilst it would be nice to have cameo from T'Pol at some point, seeing her captain the DSC is not where I'd want the show to go. TOS, VOY and ENT covered the Vulcan arc. Time to move elsewhere.
    Spock in TOS, M'ress and three armed dude in minor roles in TAS, Spock, Saavik, and Valaris in the TOS films, Data and Worf in TNG, with Ro in a minor role, Dax (both of 'em), and Kira (for all of one episode), and Worf again in DS9, Tuvok in VGR (and the little girl with the spiky head in a very minor role), Keeser in TKT, and Saru in DSC.​​
    I know she only appeared in TAS, and I'm not sure where she'd fit into the timeline, but I'd love to see M'Ress (or even, just another Caitian) on the Enterprise, or in Season 2 somewhere. If they could factor in M'Ress as an Enterprise crew member it would please fans of TAS and that character in general, whilst also establishing that the Caitian are still around following the dated TAS & TMP era - in the sense of when they aired, not their Trek timeline date. The Caitian in the Trek reboot might as well had been humanoid for all their similarity to actual cats.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    Why is the captain all of a sudden the symbol for "diversity"?

Because the captain is the face of the show. Well, technically Burnham is the face of DSC but it's not her people are going to be sticking on captain vs. memes.
    flash525 wrote: »
    I would love this, if for no other reason than I loved the portrayal of the Andorian's in Enterprise, and of the founding species (of which I know included Tellaries) the Andorians do seem popular among fanfiction. No show however has ever given us a Captain that isn't human, and whilst I hope DSC is capable of changing that, I wouldn't hold out hope of it!

I also really like their DSC makeup. And they do look good in those blue uniforms.
    I know she only appeared in TAS, and I'm not sure where she'd fit into the timeline, but I'd love to see M'Ress (or even, just another Caitian) on the Enterprise, or in Season 2 somewhere. If they could factor in M'Ress as an Enterprise crew member it would please fans of TAS and that character in general, whilst also establishing that the Caitian are still around following the dated TAS & TMP era - in the sense of when they aired, not their Trek timeline date. The Caitian in the Trek reboot might as well had been humanoid for all their similarity to actual cats.

Have her as a crew member of the Discovery and transfer to the Enterprise in a decade or so. Oh, there were no Caitians in TKT. Whichever writer it was just said yes to a fan question without having a clue what they were on about. There are no felanoid aliens of any sort in any of the TKT films.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Because the captain is the face of the show. Well, technically Burnham is the face of DSC but it's not her people are going to be sticking on captain vs. memes.

I don't think that's true at all really. Kirk was never really the focus of the show. The entire cast of TNG had as much (if not more) character development and screen time as Picard. Same goes for DS9 and Voyager really. Heck, Voyager became the Seven of Nine show after the third season IMO.

Face of, not focus of. It's their face on all the branding (when it's not the ship or the delta). I'd also disagree that the captains weren't the focal characters, especially Kirk. Considering TOS mainly consisted of three characters and it wasn't McCoy who was the main drive of most episodes, I'd have to give the award to the guy who's leached into almost all levels of culture, even outside of popular or scifi culture.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Have her as a crew member of the Discovery and transfer to the Enterprise in a decade or so. Oh, there were no Caitians in TKT. Whichever writer it was just said yes to a fan question without having a clue what they were on about. There are no felanoid aliens of any sort in any of the TKT films.​​
    It was Damon Lindelof that confirmed the two females Kirk had in his bed were indeed Caitian. What basis do you believe otherwise?
  • Options
    Have her as a crew member of the Discovery and transfer to the Enterprise in a decade or so. Oh, there were no Caitians in TKT. Whichever writer it was just said yes to a fan question without having a clue what they were on about. There are no felanoid aliens of any sort in any of the TKT films.
    It was Damon Lindelof that confirmed the two females Kirk had in his bed were indeed Caitian. What basis do you believe otherwise?

Because;
    Firstly it was in a Q&A session where he clearly had no clue what was being asked.
    Secondly nothing anybody says is ever canon, no matter who they are, writers, directors, actors, or producers (not even the ghost of Roddenberry himself). It has to be spoken or seen onscreen (which technically makes the very word Caitian non-canon) to be canon.
    And thirdly Caitians, if we're going by BtS info pertaining to M'Ress and the Caitians in the TOS films, are felineoids. All images, including makeup tests confirm that the twins in ID have no feiline traites at all. They have Cardassian-like ears, Risian-like tattoos, primate-like tails, and Human-like everything else. This is not elongating the skulls of Klingons or adding extra bones to the heads of Andorians or Romulans, or extra teeth to Tellarites, it would be making a cat-like species a not-cat-like species​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Firstly it was in a Q&A session where he clearly had no clue what was being asked.
    Secondly nothing anybody says is ever canon, no matter who they are, writers, directors, actors, or producers (not even the ghost of Roddenberry himself). It has to be spoken or seen onscreen (which technically makes the very word Caitian non-canon) to be canon. And thirdly Caitians, if we're going by BtS info pertaining to M'Ress and the Caitians in the TOS films, are felineoids. All images, including makeup tests confirm that the twins in ID have no feiline traites at all. They have Cardassian-like ears, Risian-like tattoos, primate-like tails, and Human-like everything else. This is not elongating the skulls of Klingons or adding extra bones to the heads of Andorians or Romulans, or extra teeth to Tellarites, it would be making a cat-like species a not-cat-like species​​
    Well that answers that then! One more reason to show us the Caitian species in DSC.
  • Options
    Face of, not focus of. It's their face on all the branding (when it's not the ship or the delta). I'd also disagree that the captains weren't the focal characters, especially Kirk. Considering TOS mainly consisted of three characters and it wasn't McCoy who was the main drive of most episodes, I'd have to give the award to the guy who's leached into almost all levels of culture, even outside of popular or scifi culture.​​
    I really don't see the captains being the face of their respective show either. Spock is just as much an icon of TOS as Kirk, if not more so. Same goes for Data, Worf, Seven of Nine etc. for their respective series. Kirk also was not the main driver for each TOS episode for sure. I don't see episodes like "Amok Time", "Day of the Dove", "The Lights of Zetar", "The Man Trap", "Journey to Babel" or "The Enterprise Incident" being Kirk-centric. Certainly seems there were more Data-centric episodes of TNG than anyone else. Seven of Nine certainly shared quite a lot of screen time with the Janeway.
    I think, of the five (or six) shows, DS9 probably had the most diversity between it's characters; we started with Sisko, and there was an underlying element with his connection to the prophets, but there were ample episodes exploring Kira, Odo, Worf, Dax, Quark etc, even the likes of Garak, Rom, Dukat and Nog got a fair amount of screen-time. If there were any characters slightly lacking it would have probably been Julian and/or Miles, but even they got their own episodes on occasion.

I never got that feel from any of the other shows.
  • Options
    Face of, not focus of. It's their face on all the branding (when it's not the ship or the delta). I'd also disagree that the captains weren't the focal characters, especially Kirk. Considering TOS mainly consisted of three characters and it wasn't McCoy who was the main drive of most episodes, I'd have to give the award to the guy who's leached into almost all levels of culture, even outside of popular or scifi culture.

I really don't see the captains being the face of their respective show either. Spock is just as much an icon of TOS as Kirk, if not more so. Same goes for Data, Worf, Seven of Nine etc. for their respective series. Kirk also was not the main driver for each TOS episode for sure. I don't see episodes like "Amok Time", "Day of the Dove", "The Lights of Zetar", "The Man Trap", "Journey to Babel" or "The Enterprise Incident" being Kirk-centric. Certainly seems there were more Data-centric episodes of TNG than anyone else. Seven of Nine certainly shared quite a lot of screen time with the Janeway.

I'd say, purely anecdotally, that Kirk and Picard (yes, and probably Spock) are far more culturally present than Seven of Nine or Data. But even if he's not driving those episodes plots I think it's probably unlikely any character other than Spock has more lines over all that Kirk, if nothing else that makes him the face of TOS.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    ...I am also suspicious of Pike and Spock making an entrance on Discovery, i mean it is like one of those ship to ship or ship to station meet ups your see occasionally on trek at the end of an episode. It doesn't mean they are expected to show up in next episode, in this case season 2. There are no gaurantees at all beyond hype because it shows up.

I suspect the closer we get to when Discovery airs, there will be plenty of news in the media sites that could allude to a TOS connection more solidly, at that point a speculative discussion would be more productive at that point.

I think it might be a huge letdown to not have Spock or Pike appear after teasing the Enterprise like that.

Perhaps? But Discovery could last a few more seasons yet and there is a good chance of a famous character showing up at some point along the way. They don't all need to show up right away.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    For Spock... well first I'm gonna call bs on him not being seen, he might not be seen for long but I am certain he will be seen. Now as for who to play him, Haberkorn doesn't have a chance, pity cause he does a decent Vulcan.

I was just thinking that Haberkorn would be perfect for the role, after watching continues a while back, he really suits the Spock role nicely compared to others i have seen, even Quinto.
  • Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I predict that the show will be just as bland and predictable as the 1st season.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    If they are going to show Spock, then cast Quinto. He's the right age, he's the "blessed" heir to the role, he does a good job as Spock. If not him, then don't show him on screen.

As for Pike, I'd love to see Bruce Greenwood, but I would get it if they went another direction. Prime Pike technically had two actors anyway (I don't think Jeffrey Hunter was Wheelchair Pike).

And as for the captain, I would be fine with it being Number One (I think she should have been the lead for the series in the first place, but whatever). I'd also would sorta expect the captain to be some random character who gets killed off, or never makes the assignment... handing the ship to Saru by season's end.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    No way it's Number One. Too many unanswered question would need answered.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mhall85 wrote: »
    If they are going to show Spock, then cast Quinto. He's the right age, he's the "blessed" heir to the role, he does a good job as Spock. If not him, then don't show him on screen.

As for Pike, I'd love to see Bruce Greenwood, but I would get it if they went another direction. Prime Pike technically had two actors anyway (I don't think Jeffrey Hunter was Wheelchair Pike).

Quinto is contracted to Paramount for the Trek Films. Wouldn't there be a conflict of interest there with CBS trek? I've seen not any direct CBS connection with any work he has done on TV from 2009 to present.

As for the wheelchair Pike? Sean Kenney played that role.
    Bruce Greenwood? hmm, Pike was in his late 30's early 40's at most, CBS should be looking to someone roughly around that age, with graying hair, piercing gray eyes and far less wrinkles and liver spots. someone like what Bruce used to look like back in the 90's. If you are going to match up Pike, at least do it right.