test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] 3D Print Your Own STO Ships in March!

Comments

• Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The Ent-J might not work that well given how flat it is.

Not to forget the insanely narrow join between nacelle and
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    What about ships that separate? Will I be able to print my Prometheus in the three separated sections at the 12" size or are we stuck with just full ships? I am very interested in getting a Vesta at the very least, if the price isn't completely ridiculous.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    :: old man chatter begins ::

Back in the 70s I remember using AMT model kits to build the Enterprise NCC-1701 and the Klingon D-7 and rhe Romulan Bird of Prey. Oh and even the Galeleo Seven. And the kit that made a Phaser, a Communicator and a Tricorder. Most of those kits were about $14 or $15. A fine time on any Saturday Afternoon.

:: old man begins to mumble about fun with model glue before falling a sleep again ::

I'm fine gluing things together, but my 3 year old could probably do a better job than me when it comes to painting ... an artist I am definitely NOT, lol.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    What about ships that separate? Will I be able to print my Prometheus in the three separated sections at the 12" size or are we stuck with just full ships? I am very interested in getting a Vesta at the very least, if the price isn't completely ridiculous.

as I understand from the stream. The answer is no. These are solid models, so things like Saucer Seperation (in the Galaxy's case) or the multi-vector mode of the Promethus, etc. is not possible on these.
  • Options
    nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    corelogik wrote: »
    Let me know when we can print our captains too. In full color, in selected outfits.

THIS !!!! I would love a lot more having my (me) Captain and some of my Boffs... Ship is also nice.. but i would definetly go for the toons

U.S.S. Achiever
    Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
    Zv9NH5Z.png
  • Options
    corelogik wrote: »
    Let me know when we can print our captains too. In full color, in selected outfits.

THIS !!!! I would love a lot more having my (me) Captain and some of my Boffs... Ship is also nice.. but i would definetly go for the toons

From the stream, it sounds like they have at least considered the idea. However it was more complicated then gettting the ships. Not sure if that means we will ever actually see it. But at least they looked into it, so here is hoping. I will admit, I find the idea interesting. Though I will definitely be looking at getting a 3d model of some of my ships.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,793 Arc User
    This is a very cool thing.

I hope they ship to countries outside the US / North America. If that's the case, I'll almost certainly order a copy of the Turaahn.

(That's my main's Vesta btw, which should be known to everyone ;) )
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager

as I understand from the stream. The answer is no. These are solid models, so things like Saucer Seperation (in the Galaxy's case) or the multi-vector mode of the Promethus, etc. is not possible on these.

That's correct.

I doubt it'll stop some enterprising modders with saws and magnets, though. :)
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I wasn’t able to make it to the live stream, but I also get the impression that all ships, regardless of the in-game size, would print at 12 inches... is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options

That's correct.

I doubt it'll stop some enterprising modders with saws and magnets, though. :)

Okay, but can I have the three sections of the Prometheus printed as 3 individual ships? The same with the Galaxy. Can I have the Star Drive and Saucer sections done up as individual ships? The magnet things could be fun to try and put them together with. :D
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I wasn’t able to make it to the live stream, but I also get the impression that all ships, regardless of the in-game size, would print at 12 inches... is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!
    CM

That's correct.
  • Options
    Also, if you missed the livestream, check it out here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls55Snu2RU8&t=283s
  • Options
    Darn that editing a post deletes it sometimes. :P

Skip ahead to about 6 minutes in to avoid the annoying audio echo.

Edit: Some great info in the first half hour of that video. Hilights...

The No's:

No small craft, yet.
    No shiny finish.
    No lights.
    Multi-Vector, Saucer, Star-Drive, and other parts will be 12" and probably won't match up as a whole if you buy all of the pieces.
    No half ships to wall mount Ready Room style but you can buy one and cut it in half.

YES:

Vanity shield and deflector colors, patterns, etc. are available.
    Should be available in about a month to purchase.
    Stock ships are available for those who don't have or want a custom ship.
    In-game custom fleet logos are possible.
    Gold colored ships are available (although probably in a matte finish).

What I was unsure about was the registries and ship names. Is that info we can enter when ordering or does it use the name and registry of the ship we choose to print? I am hoping we have to enter that info separately. My Fed Romulan with an Ambassador ship doesn't have a registry because of the in-game restriction but I would like to give that ship one if I get it printed.

The list of ships and pricing will probably be released between now and when the service becomes available. I am hoping they also add NPC ships. A Borg Cube might be nice to have as well as some others.
  • Options

The No's:

No small craft, yet.
    No shiny finish.
    No lights.
    Multi-Vector, Saucer, Star-Drive, and other parts will be 12" and probably won't match up as a whole if you buy all of the pieces.
    No half ships to wall mount Ready Room style but you can buy one and cut it in half.

YES:

What I was unsure about was the registries and ship names. Is that info we can enter when ordering or does it use the name and registry of the ship we choose to print? I am hoping we have to enter that info separately. My Fed Romulan with an Ambassador ship doesn't have a registry because of the in-game restriction but I would like to give that ship one if I get it printed.

The list of ships and pricing will probably be released between now and when the service becomes available. I am hoping they also add NPC ships. A Borg Cube might be nice to have as well as some others.

As I understand it, NPC ships are not on the table. The way the system works is the game sends the data based on your selected ship, so it is based solely on ships you own in-game. Likewise, since the information is based on in-game, I am guessing non-standard registries are not possible.

I suppose it is possible they could throw an NPC ship in the 20 or so non-custom ships, but the way they talked made it sound like again, it was strictly Player controlled ships.
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    :: old man chatter begins ::

Back in the 70s I remember using AMT model kits to build the Enterprise NCC-1701 and the Klingon D-7 and rhe Romulan Bird of Prey. Oh and even the Galeleo Seven. And the kit that made a Phaser, a Communicator and a Tricorder. Most of those kits were about $14 or $15. A fine time on any Saturday Afternoon.

:: old man begins to mumble about fun with model glue before falling a sleep again ::

:: old man chatter continues ::
    Zed, either your memory is great EXCEPT on pricing, or you really got taken to the cleaners. I bought (except for the Enterprise and D-7, which I got as birthday presents) and built all those TOS AMT kits as well (in the early-mid '70's) and they were retailing for $3 each. The K-7 kit and the Spock-vs-the-three-headed-snake kit were each $3, too.

On Topic:
    Which is probably 1/150 what these will cost.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    "3D Print Your Star Trek Online Ship" Talk about clickbait. More like: "Buy your own 3D printed Star Trek Online ship." Cryptic, you do know there are cheaper manufacturing methods than 3D printing, right? Injection molded plastic is not only cheaper in large scales, but it is higher quality too.

A lot of machining goes into mold making. Pricey.

Why ya think Mattel reused parts in their Masters of the Universe line, including the classics line, which has been around for a decade?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

The No's:

No small craft, yet.
    No shiny finish.
    No lights.

YES:

As I understand it, NPC ships are not on the table. The way the system works is the game sends the data based on your selected ship, so it is based solely on ships you own in-game. Likewise, since the information is based on in-game, I am guessing non-standard registries are not possible.

I suppose it is possible they could throw an NPC ship in the 20 or so non-custom ships, but the way they talked made it sound like again, it was strictly Player controlled ships.

For those who don't have a custom ship to print though. There is supposed to be stock models to choose from. Why can't they add NPC ships, like The Borg Cube, to that list of stock ships to purchase? If they do. Awesome! If not, hopefully they will add some in the future.

Having a registry on an Ambassador isn't technically non-standard. Coming back to the stock ships for console owners as an example. Will those customers only get a stock name and registry for the ship they purchase or will they be able to pick their own ship name and registry for the stock model? The only reason the registry numbers are locked out for my Romulan, is because the Ambassador isn't supposed to be claimable on Federation aligned Romulan characters. I don't know if that applies to the Walker or Crossfield because I am not interested in those ships on a Romulan character but Romulan ships don't have registries and in most cases, Fed Romulan's are not permitted to have Federation ships at T5 and higher.
  • Options

The No's:

No small craft, yet.
    No shiny finish.
    No lights.

YES:

For those who don't have a custom ship to print though. There is supposed to be stock models to choose from. Why can't they add NPC ships, like The Borg Cube, to that list of stock ships to purchase? If they do. Awesome! If not, hopefully they will add some in the future.

Having a registry on an Ambassador isn't technically non-standard. Coming back to the stock ships for console owners as an example. Will those customers only get a stock name and registry for the ship they purchase or will they be able to pick their own ship name and registry for the stock model? The only reason the registry numbers are locked out for my Romulan, is because the Ambassador isn't supposed to be claimable on Federation aligned Romulan characters. I don't know if that applies to the Walker or Crossfield because I am not interested in those ships on a Romulan character but Romulan ships don't have registries and in most cases, Fed Romulan's are not permitted to have Federation ships at T5 and higher.

Yeah, I tried as best I could to account for all that. Like I said, custom ships seem to be based on data in-game. So whatever is in game is what you are getting. So if you want a custom ship, you are stuck with whatever is in game. That is my understanding.

Like I said with the stock ships, it didn't sound like they were going the NPC route. Just my own speculation there as they said nothing other then they were the "more popular ships". No doubt they COULD throw some NPC ships in there (I am with you on the cube), I just don't think it is currently planned. As for down the road, who knows.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Personally don't care for physical models, but I still think this is an incredible announcement and really hope it works out and that people make a ton of use of this.

For those artists out there willing to paint, I can imagine the resale value of a ton of spectacular Cryptic STO ship models and other canon models that just don't already exist - am already letting my friends know about this.

So many great models I hope people print out, color, and show off: Valkis, Odyssey, Mobius, upcoming T6 Wells/Mobius, Risian Corvette, Lukari Ho'kuun & N'Kaam, Vesta, Hestia, Ning'Tao, Faeht, Naj’sov, Dyson Warbirds, Scryer, Eclipse, Atrox, Avenger, Laeosa, T5/T6 Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser, T5 Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer, Sheshar, Quas, Hegh'ta (possibly kitbashed with Haj), etc.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I have my official licensed TOS Gorn action figure, that's all the Trek I need. ^^

Heehee. I might try using anime figures, like Figma and Revoltech (they make great figures, and easy to take apart) to make a custom of my characters, even my virtual me.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

The No's:

No small craft, yet.
    No shiny finish.
    No lights.

YES:

Yeah, I tried as best I could to account for all that. Like I said, custom ships seem to be based on data in-game. So whatever is in game is what you are getting. So if you want a custom ship, you are stuck with whatever is in game. That is my understanding.

Like I said with the stock ships, it didn't sound like they were going the NPC route. Just my own speculation there as they said nothing other then they were the "more popular ships". No doubt they COULD throw some NPC ships in there (I am with you on the cube), I just don't think it is currently planned. As for down the road, who knows.

Hopefully they are paying attention. There are some really niche opportunities to be had with this process. The crew or at least Captain statues in the future would be really welcome. Especially if they can pull off something like we have at the character selection screen. Yeah, those would probably be expensive but also very cool to have. My Retro Gorn would probably be at the top of my list.

Another thing I think would be great, even if they are auctioned off for charity or given away in a contest, would be specially painted and signed dev ships. This goes beyond people wanting Thomas to sign their ships, which I think would be awesome if he did sign a few to auction or raffle off. What I mean though that probably most won't recall is... Back in the day, Dan Stahl (as a specific reference) had his IKS Lollipop Bird of Prey that he used back in the PvP days when the devs actually had events where they participated in. Dan's BoP for it's time was an excellent build! He also attacked the Starfleet Academy ground map with it at one point, which was pretty darn awesome! That would a nice little throwback to have modeled and signed by Dan Stahl. Stephen could also do this with his favorite ship along with others from the STO development team.
  • Options

The No's:

No small craft, yet.
    No shiny finish.
    No lights.

YES:

Hopefully they are paying attention. There are some really niche opportunities to be had with this process. The crew or at least Captain statues in the future would be really welcome. Especially if they can pull off something like we have at the character selection screen. Yeah, those would probably be expensive but also very cool to have. My Retro Gorn would probably be at the top of my list.

Another thing I think would be great, even if they are auctioned off for charity or given away in a contest, would be specially painted and signed dev ships. This goes beyond people wanting Thomas to sign their ships, which I think would be awesome if he did sign a few to auction or raffle off. What I mean though that probably most won't recall is... Back in the day, Dan Stahl (as a specific reference) had his IKS Lollipop Bird of Prey that he used back in the PvP days when the devs actually had events where they participated in. Dan's BoP for it's time was an excellent build! He also attacked the Starfleet Academy ground map with it at one point, which was pretty darn awesome! That would a nice little throwback to have modeled and signed by Dan Stahl. Stephen could also do this with his favorite ship along with others from the STO development team.

Yeah, I am not sure where Dan is these days, so that might be hard. :P

In all seriousness, I would leave the dev ships up to the devs. I agree it would be a nice idea, depending on the ship. To see (and possibly own) what kind of ships the devs fly. Though, like you said, it would probably be an after thing.
  • Options

The No's:

No small craft, yet.
    No shiny finish.
    No lights.

YES:

Yeah, I am not sure where Dan is these days, so that might be hard. :P

In all seriousness, I would leave the dev ships up to the devs. I agree it would be a nice idea, depending on the ship. To see (and possibly own) what kind of ships the devs fly. Though, like you said, it would probably be an after thing.

It looks like he is over at Blizzard Entertainment now. Maybe the STO team can pull his ship from his account and send it to him. Outside of the current EP, @salamiinferno, Dan was the only other EP for STO I personally felt was in touch with what the players wanted and have done their best to make Star Trek Online the best it could be during their time.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    "3D Print Your Star Trek Online Ship" Talk about clickbait. More like: "Buy your own 3D printed Star Trek Online ship." Cryptic, you do know there are cheaper manufacturing methods than 3D printing, right? Injection molded plastic is not only cheaper in large scales, but it is higher quality too.
    In LARGE scale. So CUSTOMIZED ships would be a TERRIBLE application for injection molding. There are literally MILLIONS of combinations we can do with ship tailor...which means they would need millions of mold...which is not terribly cost effective. 3D printing in this case is the right call for what they are doing.
    Yeah, injection molded stuff isn't customizable unless it's molded in a bunch of pieces. then you just mix and match the pieces. But these are molded as solid objects.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    dharkmandharkman Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Hello,

It's interesting that we will be able to have 3-D ships on our desktops but your developers can not fix the simple ability to color our online ships. Yes, its a good idea but no if it means putting funds that can fix in game issues like painting ships or not having it stick but end up with grey ships having lines all around them.

Come on folks, how about a little 3-D improvements on our ships that a lot of us have paid great sums of monies to buy but are not finding it frustratingly frequent to not be able to do that simple act.

Frustrated Captain.