test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] 3D Print Your Own STO Ships in March!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
Captains on PC will soon be able to order 3D Printed, hand painted versions of their own personal STO ships!

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10810274

Comments

• Options
    lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Here's hoping it works out this time
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Okay, I may just abuse the hell out of this.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    You guys got all excited then this http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/13/star-trek-onlines-3d-printed-ships-arent-happening-after-all/ happened. Let's hope we don't see a repeat.
  • Options
    commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    What's the estimated price point on this?
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    awlaforge wrote: »
    You guys got all excited then this http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/13/star-trek-onlines-3d-printed-ships-arent-happening-after-all/ happened. Let's hope we don't see a repeat.

Yeah. Here's hoping this new company doesn't fold.
  • Options
    The funny thing is the pathfinder was the announcement sample two years ago too.

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10142383

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Well, we got disappointed before, but let's hope this time everything works out.
    Mixed Dimensions is an integral reality company, creating new systems and technologies for the virtual and physical worlds to relate to one another by bridging the digital and physical worlds through an innovative software platform. It’s technology creates a gateway from the imagination driven virtual world to the tangible, tactile analog world and back again. The company’s GamePrint service combines Mixed Dimensions proprietary 3D printing technology with its artisanal approach to production, allowing gamers to create, capture and print personal gameplay moments, characters, vehicles and dioramas. Its manufacturingno inve technology enables on demand, ntory, processing of these one of a kind objects realized through leading edge 3D printing, robotics and artists delivering products that bring the imagination of gamers in the virtual world to life for their use in our physical world. Mixed Dimensions is headquartered in San Francisco, CA with offices in three continents.
    Anyone playing bullsh*t bingo?

Also, what's
    manufacturingno inve
    ntory
    editmonster
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Well this service(s) & product(s) will become more & more available in the future anyways for everyone including default color, painted, various scaling, etc..

I'm glad they're taking another attempt & this type of partnership because it is awfully cool.

I'm sure the cost won't be cheap, but hopefully it won't be country club pricing.

Also, just to pick at a past scab of Cryptic's, are all the STO in-game customizations at the Ship Tailor functioning now???
  • Options
    ev1taev1ta Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Any ship? Including the J? Some of us like it big.
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    I am going to go with the "cautiously skeptical" route. Don't get me wrong, as an idea, I love it. I will totally be taking advantage of it to print out my ships.

But as said by others, we HAVE been down this road before, and it ended in tears. Not getting my hopes up until it is a real thing this time.
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User

As someone above noted, there's a lot of corporate blah on the partner's website, and very little actual information on pricing.

For what its worth, the 3D printing company they were going to partner with last time had prices in the $120 range for most models, with some going as low as $90 for smaller models.

Given these are stated as all 12 inch models, my guess would be $120+, and likely extra for handpainting. That's not counting any possible discounts for the 20 'most popular' models, which they will presumably print in larger numbers.

Just a guess based on last time though. No evidence either way with this new company.

yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I need more info before I get my hopes up.

Actually ... could we get some of the non player ships? like the Typhoon Class? :)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    ev1taev1ta Member Posts: 42 Arc User

Still going to ask, can they my death star Enterprise J. Is size of ship going to be a problem? I'm ready to throw down whatever they as aas far as money, but can they do it.
  • Options
    ev1ta wrote: »
    Still going to ask, can they my death star Enterprise J. Is size of ship going to be a problem? I'm ready to throw down whatever they as aas far as money, but can they do it.

They do say "Almost all of the over 500 playable starships will be available for print..." so if and until we get details, no way of knowing.
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    ev1ta wrote: »

Like was said here:

They do say "Almost all of the over 500 playable starships will be available for print..." so if and until we get details, no way of knowing.

Given the little information we have, If you have the ship, they will most likely have a way to 3d print it. That said, it sounds like they have one size for all ships. So Just because you want the "J" ship, don't expect it to be big just because the size is big relative to other ships in game. the 3d models will possibly (I say possibly because we have no details) all be 12 inches, whether you pick a Defiant class ship or the "J" ship.

• Options
    lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    gazurtoid wrote: »

As someone above noted, there's a lot of corporate blah on the partner's website, and very little actual information on pricing.

For what its worth, the 3D printing company they were going to partner with last time had prices in the $120 range for most models, with some going as low as $90 for smaller models.

Given these are stated as all 12 inch models, my guess would be $120+, and likely extra for handpainting. That's not counting any possible discounts for the 20 'most popular' models, which they will presumably print in larger numbers.

Just a guess based on last time though. No evidence either way with this new company.
    It's probably going to depend on what you want to order, but you can get an idea if you look at the Mixed Dimensions website and look at their 3D collectibles. The 12" hand painted models they're selling there start at $450. So if you don't want to try painting it yourself, then expect to shell out some bucks for your ship
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Well, if they're doing custom jobs, among the ones I have in mind would be applying the color scheme associated with the 156th Tactical Fighter Wing to the Wells- and Mobius-class hulls. Specifically, both ships have a 'trim' partially outlining the hull when seen from above (it's shown here); that, along with the entirety of the ventral surface, would be yellow, with the remaining dorsal hull bearing the tri-tone grey camo pattern. Naturally, having another pair with the actual 118th Tactical Fighter Squadron livery could be amusing, too.

The Tzenkethi shield visuals would also be a good candidate... there is a forum thread dedicated to showing off how these look on various ships; the Mobius can be found within the second of saurializard's trio of 'spoilers'.
  • Options
    jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    Count me as one of the "wait and see" delegation.
  • Options
    centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    I am cautiously optimistic here. Hope this works out as I have a few ships I'd love to put on my desk.
  • Options
    centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    The funny thing is the pathfinder was the announcement sample two years ago too.

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10142383

True, but that's definitely a new model in today's announcement. Higher quality too. Looks smoother.
  • Options
    willjackson08willjackson08 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I hope this will come to Console, I played on PC when it came out, but since it came on Console, I've invested so much in console, so I hope it does, I'd print out ALL my ships, even Mirror ones
    The S.R.F
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    phaeton#9727 phaeton Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Give me the complete Assimilated Borg Tech set on a Risian Luxury Cruiser. Print THAT. :D
    ---=== Contact Me In-Game: @phaeton#9727 ===---
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I'm guessing the Iconian ships (and the Ent-J, come to that) will present... certain technical challenges.

Cool idea. Hope it works out this time. Doubt that I will be taking advantage of it myself, though - I've got too many things to dust as it is.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    why do folks keep going about the J? It's but ugly and the saucer is 1 dimensional... flat piece of paper thin saucer. even the designers on the show admit they had almost no time to design the ship.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    Let me know when we can print our captains too. In full color, in selected outfits.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    I would really like if ships with moving parts (long range science vessel variants, bird-of-preys, etc. - stuff with folding nacelles or wings, or ships with "battle modes") had the option to choose the configuration (something like "pathfinder - impulse" and "pathfinder - warp speed")
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    Why not FIX the ship customization features before doing any of this instead? Half the time the paint doesn't apply, the different patterns don't automatically show up when hovering over them (sometimes not at all even after clicking the one I want), and some ships are just so limited on what you can customize to begin with.

I don't even get why you haven't touched the ship customizer in a while. Devs love messing with everything else (R&D, ship traits, PVE, etc) but the ship customizer is so damn old and is honestly more of a hassle now to decorate a ship than actually being fun.
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I would love to get the Kobali Samsar Cruiser, the Risian Luxury Cruiser (with the interiors visible), the Ferengi Nagus Marauder, the Lukari Ho'kuun Science Vessel, the Risian corvette, and the Advanced Obelisk Carrier. I might even add the Defiant if it comes with the custom name and registry. :smile: I do hope this is a permanent addition to STO and that it is much more successful than the last one.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Here's hoping this goes better than last time. 3D-printed Perseus-class here I come...!