test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO's story after ViL / the Hur'q

I wonder where the story will take us after the Victory is Life / Dominion expansion and after we've defeated the Hur'q. It will probably take a few more seasons before the story has developed that far, but nevertheless I'm curious what we'll see after these arcs have been concluded.

Both the Hur'q and the Tzenkethi are storylines based entirely off species that were only named once or a few times. If they decide to walk the path of continuity (sorry :p ) then I guess we would either see species like the Sheliak being the new big enemy, or perhaps one of the individual enemies like the 'god' of Sha Ka Ree or the devil that tried to lure Janeway to her death. Maybe they'll bring back T'ket.

Or they could do the civil war thing that has been requested often (not my preferred option to be fair).

Another idea would be to bring back another ancient civilisation like the T'kon. Or we could have a peaceful season that focusses on rebuilding relations with the Iconians, maybe some of their servitor species or helping the Romulan Star Empire defeat the Tal Shiar and merge it with the Republic.
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

Comments

• tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure the Ur-Quan are already launching fleets in our general direction...
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Other plot threads/species from the TV shows include
    -The Sheliak
    -The T'Kon
    -The entire other half of the Delta Quadrant that isn't in-game
    -The Kelvan Empire from the Andromeda galaxy

For that matter, the Kelvans from the TOS episode who settled in our galaxy... The fact that the Kelvan Empire is in the Andromeda Galaxy, the Iconians spent the last 200,000 years in Andromeda, and we now have some degree of access to the Gateway Network makes things interesting. We could always end up help the Iconians protect their Andromeda holdings (or whatever's left if they're trying to bring everything back over to Iconia) from a Kelvan expansionistic leadership seeking to escape their galaxy's eventual radiation death...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'd prefer a season to be based on exploration.

... as you might know, PWE and Cryptic both can't come up with anything that doesn't involve combat in some way.

The trailer for 'A new Dawn' gave me some hope in that regard, but when it arrived, it had 'Fight the Tholians because... why not'. And then again, and then 'Fight the Na'kuhl', 'Fight the Krenim' and you get the idea.
    I'm pretty sure the Ur-Quan are already launching fleets in our general direction...

Lau- lau- lau- lau- launch Fighters!

My smooth and hostile face would certainly like to greet the Spathi again though.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    I get the playerbase desire for actual 'exploration, discovery, and diplomatic' type action in STO, but I confess that I have never actually seen such play properly implemented in an MMO. A few of the 4X games have some elements of explore/discover/diplot, but they basically all tend towards combat as well.

If anyone has some examples of an MMO with decently implemented exploration/diplomacy then point it out, it will give us something solid to try and work into STO. Although the purely linear mission structure in STO would tend to limit the possibilities.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    ...helping the Romulan Star Empire defeat the Tal Shiar and merge it with the Republic.
    After the founding of the Imperial State, and Sela's assumption of the throne of the RSE, the Empire is basically a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Tal'Shiar and seems to have no interest in merging with the Republic. Subsuming it as an Imperial province, sure, but since the RSE's official position is that the Republic is in rebellion against their proper sovereign, merging seems unlikely.

To borrow a real-world situation for comparison, it would be a bit like going back in time to the late 1980s to help the USSR "overcome" the KGB and merge with the Baltic states.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    ...helping the Romulan Star Empire defeat the Tal Shiar and merge it with the Republic.
    After the founding of the Imperial State, and Sela's assumption of the throne of the RSE, the Empire is basically a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Tal'Shiar and seems to have no interest in merging with the Republic. Subsuming it as an Imperial province, sure, but since the RSE's official position is that the Republic is in rebellion against their proper sovereign, merging seems unlikely.

To borrow a real-world situation for comparison, it would be a bit like going back in time to the late 1980s to help the USSR "overcome" the KGB and merge with the Baltic states.

Well the Soviet Union did undergo a transition to something else... not what most would call a democracy, but it changed considerably nevertheless and that is somewhat related to the more succesful democratisation in some of the Baltic states.

I don't think it would be that farfetched to have the Empire transition to something more democratic and eventually end up being a part of the Republic. We've already seen colonies and people breaking away (or rebel against as the Empire would indeed call it) from the Empire and moving to the Republic, there are no examples of it happening the other way around.

And I think that, after all the successes (especially against the Iconians), it will become ever more difficult for what remains of the Tal Shiar and the population surpressed by them to be reminded that there is a reason why this 'rebellion' is happening in the first place.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    I'd like to see a multi-year acr focusing on the Iotians, the gangster planet from TOS. Either that or the Organians return in force and nerf ALL combat sets into doing no damage.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Well... with the Gates we do have a potential access point to Andromeda. But there are things they could cover like maybe their take on the origins of the Galactic Barrier and Great Barrier, the origins of the Doomsday Machines...

Maybe we can find the NX-02 Columbia in the Gamma Quadrant, and thus get an NX interior?

Anyways... STO's got a few directions to explore for sure.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Maybe something with the First Federation?
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Maybe we actually destroy then entire universe or just do more time travel nonsense with the occasional time for RnR but the holograms become real/go berzerk or something.
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    steaen wrote: »
    Maybe something with the First Federation?

This. Oh, baby, a First Federation lockbox? Who wouldn't want to fly a disco ball?
  • tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    I'd lean towards returning to the Delta Quadrant; there's soooo much stuff over there that still hasn't been touched upon, and the devs might as well go back and try to bring it closer to it's proper size, right? (I think maybe Tacofangs or one of the map devs said that the Alpha and Beta Quadrants are close to their max possible size, so further map extensions there would be difficult; the Delta Quadrant though has plenty of space. :p ) Not to mention the possibility of a Liberated Borg player faction (which IIRC was planned for Delta Rising, but was dropped at some point), concurrent with a revamp of the Borg to make them as formidable as we remember from the shows/First Contact. Plus the Voth were still at war with the Borg, even willing to 'Omega bomb' half the quadrant just to save themselves; that's an interesting open plot thread.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'd prefer a season to be based on exploration.
    To seek out new life and find out how much it wants to kill us!
    To boldly go where no human has gone before!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I get the playerbase desire for actual 'exploration, discovery, and diplomatic' type action in STO, but I confess that I have never actually seen such play properly implemented in an MMO. A few of the 4X games have some elements of explore/discover/diplot, but they basically all tend towards combat as well.
    You know what the 4 Xs stand for right? eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate. There is no X for diplomacy. It sort of falls under eXploit, in that you're talking them into doing what you want instead of killing them. But in 4X games the player MAKES the story happen, they don't READ it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I've never much cared for re-visiting the whole Bajoran arc: been there, done that. But it looks like we're getting a revamped DS9, and *that* I care about. And the new Dominion ships looked pretty slick too. So, maybe I can get into the whole Victory Is Life thingy after all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Lets face it...regardless of the supposed peaceful exploration the federation tries to do...it always boils down to conflict...all the shows had an overarching bad guy to shoot whether its xindi, borg, klingons or eugenics. We are here to shoot things!
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    The Sheliak are a fairly plausible future enemy as an ally/servitor of some other new "big baddie."
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    lordbeefy7 wrote: »
    Lets face it...regardless of the supposed peaceful exploration the federation tries to do...it always boils down to conflict...all the shows had an overarching bad guy to shoot whether its xindi, borg, klingons or eugenics. We are here to shoot things!

Humans just cannot live without their conflict...tsktsk
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    -The Sheliak
    -The T'Kon

For that matter, the Kelvans from the TOS episode who settled in our galaxy... The fact that the Kelvan Empire is in the Andromeda Galaxy, the Iconians spent the last 200,000 years in Andromeda, and we now have some degree of access to the Gateway Network makes things interesting. We could always end up help the Iconians protect their Andromeda holdings (or whatever's left if they're trying to bring everything back over to Iconia) from a Kelvan expansionistic leadership seeking to escape their galaxy's eventual radiation death...

It's a short lived escape since the Andromeda galaxy is currently on a collision course with the Milky Way and the Milky Way will be devoured by Andromeda in the future. This isn't science fiction by the way, it's really happening.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Revamp the Iconian War
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    nimbull wrote: »
    -The Sheliak
    -The T'Kon

It's a short lived escape since the Andromeda galaxy is currently on a collision course with the Milky Way and the Milky Way will be devoured by Andromeda in the future. This isn't science fiction by the way, it's really happening.
    2-3 billion years isn't what I consider "short lived".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

I wouldn't say "devoured", the Milky Way and Andromeda are close enough in size that I'd call it a "fusion". Which, apart from making some nasties close in, won't be as bad as it sounds.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I wouldn't say "devoured", the Milky Way and Andromeda are close enough in size that I'd call it a "fusion". Which, apart from making some nasties close in, won't be as bad as it sounds.
    One interesting theory I've heard is that certain supernovas were actually caused by stellar collisions and that those stellar collisions were the result of a dwarf galaxy "merging" with the Milky Way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Some projections indicate that the core of Andromeda may come close enough to Sol to gravitationally sling our entire system into intergalactic space. Sounds unpleasant to me.

However, again, we're talking about two or three billion years down the road - the odds of my being around to be dismayed by this are, if you'll pardon the expression, astronomical.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Some projections indicate that the core of Andromeda may come close enough to Sol to gravitationally sling our entire system into intergalactic space. Sounds unpleasant to me.

However, again, we're talking about two or three billion years down the road - the odds of my being around to be dismayed by this are, if you'll pardon the expression, astronomical.

Well, the precise effects on Sol are hard to predict, especially with out galaxy turning and everything, but yeah, a few stars will be flung into dark space, and the rest will form some chaos until it settles a couple million years down the road. But being flung out, as far as we understand it, won't be that bad as long as the solar system itself is not shaken up too much. Of course, evacuation to neighboring systems a billion years down the road when Sol meets its maker may become kind of a hassle.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • hamtidamti#1438 hamtidamti Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    > @jonsills said:
    >
    > To borrow a real-world situation for comparison, it would be a bit like going back in time to the late 1980s to help the USSR "overcome" the KGB and merge with the Baltic states.

Well, Western Germany did support Eastern Germans overcome the STASI and finally both split states merged... so the plot idea laid out above is not as far-fetched as it might seem on first sight.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User

Well, the precise effects on Sol are hard to predict, especially with out galaxy turning and everything, but yeah, a few stars will be flung into dark space, and the rest will form some chaos until it settles a couple million years down the road. But being flung out, as far as we understand it, won't be that bad as long as the solar system itself is not shaken up too much. Of course, evacuation to neighboring systems a billion years down the road when Sol meets its maker may become kind of a hassle.

Seeing how far humanity has come in just a few centuries or even a few decades, I'm not too worried at all about things that happen billions of years in the future. Because we * will find some way to counter it. The human species is a few hundreds of thousands of years old. Civilisation started some 10.000 years ago. A billion years is a time period that lasts a couple hundred times as long as humanity has been around, and even 10.000 times as long as civilisation has existed. In that time period, we've come to dominate the earth to an extent we're causing a new mass extinction and actively changing its climate.

That's just one planet, but given 10.000 times more time I wouldn't underestimate what humans will be able to pull off. If we haven't been wiped out before the Alaskan Bull Worm arrives, I at least expect us to be... everywhere basically. And if, for some reason, we haven't colonised the galaxy by then, there still that one miracle worker who could just push us or the Alaskan Bull Worm away.

* And by we, I really mean 'we' as in I and the other people alive at that moment.