test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lobi cystals for Gold Press Latinum

Dear Devs.
Gold press Latinum is way useless in STO for now.
Why not be able to trade it for Lobi Crystals same as Dilithium for Zen?
And btw,why there is not real Terran Empire ship skins? this colors only is a total ceap.we need real terran skins

Comments

• Options
    thraexisthraexis Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Would be great if there was a latinum exchange. Would be interesting to see.
  • Options
    smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I don't see this happening. GPL is a very inflated currency, and Lobi is a very scarce commodity, and I suspect if there are ever more useful things to buy with GPL, they will be limited to cosmetics, like emotes. Probably not even costumes, although that would be great.

Also, GPL is character-bound, while Lobi is account-bound. I think GPL should be freely tradeable anyway. Kind of makes the whole point of currency kind of moot.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I fail to understand why emotes were not added to the GPL store to be honest. The anniversary event proves that emotes are pretty popular (well, my friends have been scrambling to collect the anniversary ones anyway) and it would give the otherwise-useless GPL store a purpose.

Last thing I can actually remember being added to the GPL store was.... the Clubwear outfit and accompanying Dance manual. Which means nothing new in some three years. With the addition of Visual Slots, you'd think they'd at least add some vanity-only items to it...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Why would they do this? Its perfect logic and makes sense to us but not to Cryptic.

They only see GREEN and would never have any cuts in their profit.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    @meridian113

If you want free lobi. Just ask for free lobi without the runaround.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    The dil exchange is 100% unlike the suggestion to be able to buy lobi from a vendor for GPL.

With Dil for Zen trading between players, Cryptic gets paid money by the person who bought the Zen, either for cash or by spending $200-300 on a lifetime sub. That money goes to pay salaries and hire people like LeVar Burton. Cryptic loses nothing from the exchange, and in fact gains money.

With your suggestion, Cryptic loses some lock box sales, which means less money to run the game. The FREE new story episodes, FREE event ships, FREE Omega tech upgrades, and FREE GPL all need to be paid for somehow, and lock boxes are a major source of that.
  • Options
    thraexisthraexis Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    To me i don't see they idea isn't liked. People would stil need to spend money to get lobi from the
    lockboxes to post it on the Latinum exchange. But thats just me.

And about that GPL store I think its kinda odd and funny that cryptic keeps adding
    new store vendors and unique items for those vendors and yet they could have gone
    into the gpl vendor isntead.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Yes, the GPL Store needs more stuff to buy.

But Lobi will never happen. Except for that period when you could get a small handful of lobi for a few featured episodes, all Lobi are generated in some way by cash. Lockboxes, Promo R&D Boxes, etc.

No way would they ever give people lobi for an infinitely farmable resource (EC, GPL, etc).
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    They really do need to do something about GPL. We literally have nothing to spend it on!

OOOOH! Trophies!
    Yea. Been there, bought that.
    OOOOH! Club Wear!
    Ditto.
    OOOOH! A Party Nullifier!
    Standard Issue on my characters.

Can we just transfer the DL store outfits into the GPL store? I wouldn't care if the prices were kept the same either. At least we'd have something worth while to work towards!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Why would they do this? Its perfect logic and makes sense to us but not to Cryptic.

Ain't that the truth. Cryptic doesn't care about you, they don't care about Canon or IP, they just want money and will forgo anything and everything to claw their way to it. If you doubt me, just look at how bad the ship models are, or the Jem'hadar look, or the playable Borg Captains with a head that doesn't match their bodies. The DS9 interior looks like a knock off, which is a shame in the officially licensed IP game.

I for one, would absolutely love getting more use out of GPL. To be honest though, Cryptic would never do it. They screwed themselves hard with Dilithium, so when they accidentally allowed people to rake in metric tons of Latinum off of an event (i think) as well as a few other places, they realized that too many people had way too high of a stockpile and didn't want to let them have such a high advantage. It's kind of why the most valuable currency in the galaxy is worthless and such a worthless item (lobi crystals) are their main go to. That's a canon thing that Cryptic is actively going against, too, all for their own greed.

Considering Quark is the one in charge of the lobi Consortium, how much he likes GPL, and how worthless lobi are, i would happily take it at a rate of 5-1. It's not like the Lobi store isn't already overly priced on everything. The ways to earn GPL have been reduced, so it's not like they have to fear a flooding of the market by adding GPL to lobi set-up. It would bring more players to the Dabo tables and places that have them. It would give them another reason to add Poker as a minigame. And frankly, they would have enough foresight this time to regulate the currency better, letting people blow through their stockpiles while keeping the rest of the people from earning way too much in the future.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    thraexis wrote: »
    To me i don't see they idea isn't liked. People would stil need to spend money to get lobi from the
    lockboxes to post it on the Latinum exchange. But thats just me.

And about that GPL store I think its kinda odd and funny that cryptic keeps adding
    new store vendors and unique items for those vendors and yet they could have gone
    into the gpl vendor isntead.

A lobi exchange between players would be fine for Cryptic, but no one would use it because the rate would be eleventy billion GPL per 1 Lobi.

People need Dil to upgrade gear, buy reputation and dil-store gear, buy fleet gear, and contribute to building fleet holdings. People need Zen to buy from the C-Store. Both have value to players, and players can have extra of one while needing the other.

No one wants more GPL enough to give up lobi for it, especially now that Admiralty awards stacks of it.

• Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

It's perfectly illogical. Take a premium currency that can only be earned with real money and make it available for a currency that you can get in unlimited amounts daily is not logical or sensible in any way. Great for the players? Sure, but an incredibly bad business decision.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    As has been said, a player exchange would make no sense, since it would need people who would actually sell lobi for GPL. I doubt that even the eleventy billion GPL (account limits notwithstanding) would entice anybody.

As for the evil greedy big corporation which only wants money: yes, they do. And so, as anodynes has pointed out, it would be crazy to do so via an in game shop. They might just as well close the lobi store and give everything to every toon. Which of course would open new problems with "what to put into lockboxes to not make it gambling".

And no, they don't want cuts into their profit. No company does.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    The other problem is...

THERE IS NOTHING WORTH BUYING WITH GPL!!!!!!!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    To be fair to Cryptic it isn't all on them. Their overlords PWE are mostly to blame for nickle and diming, I'd say even the dil exchange is barely tolerated only because the zen is paid for at some point.

As for GPL for lobi? It'll never happen. Though if it did it'd be a hugely lopsided affair considering I have hundreds of thousands without even trying to get it.

Now more stuff to actually buy with it I can see happening. You can only buy so many disco balls.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I find it funny that in DS9, Lobi was worthless while GPL was valuable. In STO, it is flipped.

I agree with the others that GPL for Lobi will never happen and nor should it. They do need to add to the GPL store. Nothing but worthless stuff there.
  • Options
    tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Yes. They are surely going to do this. A highly valued commodity in exchange for one in which we have a DOFF gifting it to us for kills. I mean, I'd love to have it happen but...yeah
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    How this sound... GPL to EC?
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »

Honestly wouldn't mind that. I could use the ECs for a personal project.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Never Gonna Happen.

Having said that, would be ever-so nice of we could buy *something* with our GPL. I bought a few trophies (until I realized you can't even put trophies on a Rom bridge; so, that was a bust). But maybe they can sell 'Ferengi Entrepeneur' badges or something: pure vanity prestige items, to show you have the lobes. But it's kinda silly, at least, we can't buy anything currently.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > I fail to understand why emotes were not added to the GPL store to be honest. The anniversary event proves that emotes are pretty popular (well, my friends have been scrambling to collect the anniversary ones anyway) and it would give the otherwise-useless GPL store a purpose.

Good idea.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User

I can get behind that. I'd say the exchange rate would be insane though.
  • Options
    smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I find it funny that in DS9, Lobi was worthless while GPL was valuable. In STO, it is flipped.

In Star Trek, there are between 1 and 0 forms of currency, depending on the culture. In STO, there are 8 (unless I'm forgetting something), which includes real money, and that's only if you lump the various repuation marks into one category, same with event vouchers. I know it wouldn't work in the game they want, but in fictional reality, the galaxy would be greased with latinum.
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User

This would be fine. I would trade my piles of GPL for EC. At least I can buy special weapons on the exchange with EC.
    It would also be nice if we could simply trade GPL to vendors for an EC value, just like we do with gear drops we don't want.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I fail to understand why emotes were not added to the GPL store to be honest. The anniversary event proves that emotes are pretty popular (well, my friends have been scrambling to collect the anniversary ones anyway) and it would give the otherwise-useless GPL store a purpose.

Well the Club outfit was added to the game as a gift, and afterwards put in the store. So they may still decide to put the emotes into the store once the event is over.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Did they ever put the Starship Emotes in the GPL store?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Did they ever put the Starship Emotes in the GPL store?

That would be nice. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg