test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ground combat sucks and an Admiral would NEVER have to engage in it...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    by7antineby7antine Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    In TOS Kirk went on away missions because that worked best for the story writers who wanted to focus on a very few characters. In TNG they (historically correctly) got away from that because they had more characters to give screen time to. As a side note, I don't think the primary character of ANY Trek series has ever had a higher rank than captain. Why? Because anything over captain actually is mostly a boring desk job except in wartime. And in wartime it is a flag bridge job, not a combat bridge or shore duty job. Players rising above captain was an early Cryptic mistake and will never be rectified.

TOS was more akin to the age of sail and discovery, C.S. Forester's Hornblower series and Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series being good examples. TNG was more akin to the period several decades before and after 1900. Steam made the world smaller and all the players and all the borders were known with all the major powers jockeying for power and position.

In an era of discovery like TOS or Enterprise it makes some sense that a captain would be doing a lot of first hand work because of the diplomatic issues. In an age where the treaties have already been written and the exotic islands already explored that holds no water anymore. Time for the marine contingent and/or the midshipmen to have the shore duty spotlight.

Meh. Just said that for some historic background of writers vs. game-play vs. historic realities. I personally don't object to the ground combat. I do agree the MMO/FPS mashup is problematic.
  • Options
    annodominicannodominic Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Yeah I really like the ice ray too. Then I burn with exothermic.

I enjoy ground more than space. Back around 3 to 4 years ago ground was pretty hard. I remember many repeated deaths in story missions. Today it is very easy. Not sure if it's all powercreep or maybe some personal improvement - probably mostly creep.

Anyway. there's a lot of cool toys now to play with.

oh, and in my mind I'm not an admiral, so it's not so unreasonable. Something like Archer or Sisko in the trenches.

And to that: To "remain" a captain or sorts, I just change my title and pins (bandolier, shoulders, etc.) to reflect that rank. It's possible to make yourself look like you are still a captain to other players.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    by7antine wrote: »
    In TOS Kirk went on away missions because that worked best for the story writers who wanted to focus on a very few characters. In TNG they (historically correctly) got away from that because they had more characters to give screen time to. As a side note, I don't think the primary character of ANY Trek series has ever had a higher rank than captain. Why? Because anything over captain actually is mostly a boring desk job except in wartime. And in wartime it is a flag bridge job, not a combat bridge or shore duty job. Players rising above captain was an early Cryptic mistake and will never be rectified.

TOS was more akin to the age of sail and discovery, C.S. Forester's Hornblower series and Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series being good examples. TNG was more akin to the period several decades before and after 1900. Steam made the world smaller and all the players and all the borders were known with all the major powers jockeying for power and position.

In an era of discovery like TOS or Enterprise it makes some sense that a captain would be doing a lot of first hand work because of the diplomatic issues. In an age where the treaties have already been written and the exotic islands already explored that holds no water anymore. Time for the marine contingent and/or the midshipmen to have the shore duty spotlight.

Meh. Just said that for some historic background of writers vs. game-play vs. historic realities. I personally don't object to the ground combat. I do agree the MMO/FPS mashup is problematic.

Actually starting with TNG Season 3 they went back to Picard on Away missions because Patrick Stewart was bored filming Bridge while the secondary characters all got to do stuff in the episodes. (This came up when his contract was up for renewal at the end of Season 3 (He was the only cast member who didn't sign for 6 seasons right off the bat) and also why BoBW was written with the possibility of Picard being killed as a Borg.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,344 Community Moderator
    edguN8y.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.