test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion for next years Winter Wonderland: PvP snowball fight!

ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
A simple 5 minute Melee on the lake. Give each snowball same damage output and allow them to tempoarily freeze players, like the ones cast by the snowmen do. Then which ever player got frozen the least, and would earn the highest reward, be it Epohh Tags or Holiday trinkets/currency.

Suggestion for next years Winter Wonderland: PvP snowball fight! 25 votes

Yes I'd like to see this also
80%
nightkencoldnapalmgaraks31dracounguiswhere2r1azrael605patrickngocaptan2er0caltairgalattadmrenlarreckichaerus1jiralinriatremere12tm706pec3echattyavoozuulfuryan#5289daeridanii#0793 20 votes
No, as snowball headshots make my ears go red.
20%
duncanidaho11kodachikunocaptiansmirkdisqord#9557shadowwraith#9264 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    OMG, this....sounds funny as hell! LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Unfortunately, this will never happen because of all of the complaining when you still could throw snowballs at other players...
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    No, as snowball headshots make my ears go red.
    Aside from however difficult it may be to implement a magic pvp field around the lake at only specific times (The Andoria Ushaan matches may serve as a base, but I'm skeptical), it would pretty much just turn into a big game of "I have the highest regen, therefore I win." Kobali Shield and Jem'Hadar armor would make you unkillable unless everyone focus fired you. In a way, a snowball pvp would suffer from worse problems than regular pvp.

Besides, the Winter Wonderland is for goofing off and being friends. Aside from the race, there's no competition, and I honestly prefer it that way.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Aside from however difficult it may be to implement a magic pvp field around the lake at only specific times (The Andoria Ushaan matches may serve as a base, but I'm skeptical), it would pretty much just turn into a big game of "I have the highest regen, therefore I win." Kobali Shield and Jem'Hadar armor would make you unkillable unless everyone focus fired you. In a way, a snowball pvp would suffer from worse problems than regular pvp.

Besides, the Winter Wonderland is for goofing off and being friends. Aside from the race, there's no competition, and I honestly prefer it that way.

that is fixable. have the winner be tracked in a different way.

idea for how it could work.
    1. you can only use snowballs, no winter weapons or ornaments
    2. if you hit someone in the snowball fight you get a hit counter
    3. if you get hit by someone in the snowball fight you lose a counter
    4. whoever has the most counters wins.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Meh, farming ornaments by any means got boring years ago. If it had accolades I would get those, but otherwise no thanks unless there is unique reward.

Incidentally, I would much prefer a game of "I have the highest regen, therefore I win" than a no-items random brawl.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    WHAT??? On the lake would be lame.... it should be out in the woods....go hunt the other players down and have the trees blocking the shots, so it wouldn't be so straight forward. LOL!

And NO WEAPONS??? What else were NERF GUNS FOR??? It was made for shooting at the head of your brother (or sister) when he was acting like a...a...jerk.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    WHAT??? On the lake would be lame.... it should be out in the woods....go hunt the other players down and have the trees blocking the shots, so it wouldn't be so straight forward. LOL!

I like this idea, if we get to do it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    where2r1 wrote: »

And NO WEAPONS??? What else were NERF GUNS FOR??? It was made for shooting at the head of your brother (or sister) when he was acting like a...a...jerk.

They could extend the map to the east, or even the southeast corner, the way they did for Tides of Ice in the southwest and Gingerbread Village to the northeast, to make room for such an event. Or they could make it a separate queued instance, the way they did for Winter Invasion.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    I'm not sure what to think of this.

It sounds like it's going to be everyone against everyone else, and for some reason I expect some players to be picked on the most.

It might be fun, but some may feel bullied if many players are going to target a select few.

If it's restricted to just the lake however, I don't see anything wrong with it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • Options
    usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Yellow snowball c-store item.
  • Options

esides, the Winter Wonderland is for goofing off and being friends. Aside from the race, there's no competition, and I honestly prefer it that way.

Have you ever participaed in a snowball fight IRL? It is goofing around at it's very finest, and this reasoning only strengthens my point. Throwing or receiving is always a good laugh.

Oh and the suggestion for going around the trees, that sounds awesome also. Maybe they they can do what they did with Kramps, have the fight occur in random locations of the map to increase varitey.

And for the anti-snowball crowd, I am suggesting a particular area for the event, so if you don't like the idea of a snowball fight, you just stay out of it, and go play with Neelix's ingredients instead.

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    As long as everyone's powers are turned off and Cryptic doesn't leave in some horrible fun-killing loopholes/exploits/game mechanics like they seem to like to do.

Like someone said, put it on Andoria. I assume the Andorians are snowball experts? :D Then it'd be well away from the non-PvP WW and any issues of forum rage.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    #notworthitedit... in any sense lol
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Have it like the Neverwinter Water fight. its great fun.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »

PvP. simply put, it's PvP, so it's not going to happen.

Well I think the Pie-eating contest is a subtle PvP game itself, I mean if there are other players there, they can eat pies next to you, which means you have to move further around the table, thus causing you to get a lower score.

As someone noted, the water fight game in Neverwinter falls under the same concept as a snowball fight in STO.

• Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Sto used to have snowball fights but people terrorized the forums screaching about it and the devs removed it :(

Yeah OP must be new. There is a reason why the current snowball fight has been nerfed. Even now Devs were supposed to FIX unintended snowballs hitting runners while they do the daily races (Fastest Game On Ice). It irritates the heck out of people while they are only trying to complete the races and a Snowfight is on. Year after year this is broken and year after year Devs have to fix it.

Imagine this being done as an Open PvP? It is a disaster as is now and even worse if an Open PvP map is made up.
    Yes it has been asked before and many times has been ignored by Devs since it creates an unnecessary burden trying to fix those who want it vs those who don't.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @storules said:
    > repetitiveepic wrote: »
    >
    > Sto used to have snowball fights but people terrorized the forums screaching about it and the devs removed it :(
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah OP must be new. There is a reason why the current snowball fight has been nerfed. Even now Devs were supposed to FIX unintended snowballs hitting runners while they do the daily races (Fastest Game On Ice). It irritates the heck out of people while they are only trying to complete the races and a Snowfight is on. Year after year this is broken and year after year Devs have to fix it.
    >
    > Imagine this being done as an Open PvP? It is a disaster as is now and even worse if an Open PvP map is made up.
    > Yes it has been asked before and many times has been ignored by Devs since it creates an unnecessary burden trying to fix those who want it vs those who don't.

Its not ignored, you can only be hit snowballs if your doing the daily race without an npc opponent, if you have an opponent your immune. I have tested this extensively for multiple years.

Seriously though, if you hate the game as much as your every post suggests why are you still here? I sure as h-ll wouldn't be playing a game I hated that much.

Wow? Flaming others is wrong. Not a mod but we ALL have every right as you do to state what we think it is right.

After all, it would be a real BORING world if we all think and agree the same.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    Yes, boring indeed. AND I wouldn't even have a job as a forum moderator if we agreed and just got along. :smirk:

Seriously, though, let's just get along.

Huqv2Ci.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    storules wrote: »
    Sto used to have snowball fights but people terrorized the forums screaching about it and the devs removed it :(

Yeah OP must be new. There is a reason why the current snowball fight has been nerfed. Even now Devs were supposed to FIX unintended snowballs hitting runners while they do the daily races (Fastest Game On Ice). It irritates the heck out of people while they are only trying to complete the races and a Snowfight is on. Year after year this is broken and year after year Devs have to fix it.

Imagine this being done as an Open PvP? It is a disaster as is now and even worse if an Open PvP map is made up.
    Yes it has been asked before and many times has been ignored by Devs since it creates an unnecessary burden trying to fix those who want it vs those who don't.​​

I can see why you were called out for flaming! Firstly, I never said anything about open PvP, or having the snowballs buffed so that they could be used to harrass others all the time. i'm talking about having a set time period, in a set area where you would have to "join the battle" Just like you do with Tides of Ice. So if you don't want to participate, then DON'T participate, it's that simple.

Oh and as for your fist assumption, i've been playing since 2011, so im not new at all, I am however baffled that such an obvious event has not been included in STO for all these years.

Finally, I really don't know why players would be so intimidated by this, they go into battle with the Borg and their invisitorps of death, but they refuse to take on other players armed with nothing more than frozen water?

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Its not ignored, you can only be hit snowballs if your doing the daily race without an npc opponent, if you have an opponent your immune. I have tested this extensively for multiple years.

So that's why I got hit the other day. I didn't have an opponent. Thanks for the info.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    As long as they don't get rid of the regular snowball fight it would be fine.
  • Options
    avoozuul wrote: »
    As long as they don't get rid of the regular snowball fight it would be fine.

That would have to be a given. Also I think it would be very fair and balanced if you had one snowball fight which was PvE and another that was PvP, so having both in the event would be very cool.