What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Klingons (TOS/Discovery) options?

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    If only I could create a new toon at the minimum level required for playing Foundry missions. ;)

Yeah...it takes a little bit of head-canoning ATM that the first few levels you play don't really count. But hey, it can be done. The Foundry Roundtable is actually building out new anthology with a tutorial, of a sort, for 26th century captains. It'd be more elegant if we had a system to take advantage of but...what we do is all about circumventing limits to tell some kind of story.

It'd great to have some more system development, but in the meantime we'll do the best we can. :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    CBS has had a massive stick about following screen canon, which is why when it comes to races like the Klingons, they stick to canon, and don't make up too many new things.

Season 1 of Discovery would beg to differ. Writers were like "canon? wassat?" and CBS were like "take our moneyyy!"

LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    yeah but in-game we're talking visual changes outside canon. Since CBS does it, there should be no issue in Cryptic doing it
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > soullessraptor wrote: »
    >
    > Actually, the Lukari/Kentari/Tzenkethi situation strikes me more as the divide between Caitan and Ferasan. Disagreements over ethics and action, rather than fundamental philosophy. Which, among other things, makes the idea of reunification much more likely, and sets the stage for the sort of child like wonder that Starfleet once had.
    >
    >
    >
    > Either way, the same basic argument applies. Why the Lukari/Kentari instead of the Vulcans/Romulans, or Caitians/Ferasans?
    >
    > All it does is widen the shallow pool instead of making it deeper by expanding on an already established, but barely developed, race.

Caitian/Ferasan would be trickier because of faction affiliation. Ferasans work with the KDF, Caitians allied with Starfleet. Running a reunification arc in game would lead to considerations about whether each would be able to cross faction lines, or whether their ships would become available to use.
    Romulan/Vulcan is so deep-seated and fundamentally ingrained in both groups that a lasting and stable reunification is going to take a lot of work and a long time.
    As to both groups, all of the involved groups are already strong exploratory presences, so there's much less of that wonder and spirit of discovery that is Star Trek
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    The Romulan missions expect him to be there, and if he wasn't, then whenever you reach a point where he would make a comment, the game would stall out as it would be waiting for an actor that isn't there to say something so it can progress its scripts to the next stage.
    has been done by multiple players, the game does not break
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    corelogik wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    ... snip...
    Not seeing how the concept of a species of small "brain slug" parasites that control someone else to infiltrate a society is no different from a "Starship troopers" bug-swarm with different incarnations of brutish, flying monsters the protagonists shoot in a never ending onslaught is either wilfully ignorant or extremely hyperbolic.
    ... snip ...
    ​​

Except TNG did it on screen 9 years before Starship Troopers.

Except Starship Troopers did do it first.....in 1959.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    With the Caitians and Ferasans, by keeping it to the supplementary materials, they keep it from causing anyone to get any ideas in-game. Because, let's be fair here, people get ideas when they see things, or would start pushing for it.
    As to Vulcans/Romulans, they ARE working on it, but I feel that something that's that...monumental is going to get a LOT more pomp and circumstance. I would think that might take place if they get like, Kirstie Alley, Patrick Stewart, Zachary Quinto, or similar. Something along those lines. Make it BIG.
  • Options
    tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    I'm super psyched at the prospect of super klingons from discovery being a playable option in sto, i'd pay a lot of zen for that.

The ST:D klingon armor looks amazing. Though I have mixed feelings about the show (irrelevant at this point anyway).
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2017
    just curious, we have TOS Federation now, I'd love to do the same from the Klingon side of things. Also I'd love to make an actual Klingon not an alien who looks more Humanized (aka TOS Klingon)

I'll include the faux Discovery 'Klingons' into my question although I personally do not think they are Klingons.

well, what is klingon really...
    the IWD comic just came out and it has TOS klingons too.
    They are a diverse bunch of dudes and dudettes like hu-mans. (eg. asians, africans, aboriginals, indians, whites etc...)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    The Caitian/Ferasan divide is less ideological, more rooted in a very physical genetic difference iirc. They literally think differently because of the changes made that make them Ferasan. To some extent, yes any sentient/sapient creature can control their behavior. But I think Romulans, Remans, and Vulcans will be singing songs of love and joy together long before these two can "reunify"
  • Options
    stobot#7771 stobot Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    One of my fleetmates made these inspired by the DSC Klingons:

https://imgur.com/a/PD0ci
  • Options
    shockingly close actually... bravo!
  • Options
    > @kodachikuno said:
    > The Caitian/Ferasan divide is less ideological, more rooted in a very physical genetic difference iirc. They literally think differently because of the changes made that make them Ferasan. To some extent, yes any sentient/sapient creature can control their behavior. But I think Romulans, Remans, and Vulcans will be singing songs of love and joy together long before these two can "reunify"

I think it's less that they'll fully "reunify" so much as "reconcile differences". Both groups will come to accept those fundamental differences and cooperate, rather than just forsake differences. But yes, Vulcan and Romulan/Reman are likely close to properly reuniting. Vulcan experiences with their allies in the Federation will have softened their hard line on Surak's teachings, and Romulans have bucked the RSE/Tal Shiar
  • Options
    I didnt say I thought Romulans and Vulcans were close I just said I thought theyd do it a long time before caitian/ferasan.
    look at the two arguing in the dyson sphere meeting.(the episode that ends the fed/klink war and officially introduces us to an iconian)
  • Options
    > @kodachikuno said:
    > I didnt say I thought Romulans and Vulcans were close I just said I thought theyd do it a long time before caitian/ferasan.
    > look at the two arguing in the dyson sphere meeting.(the episode that ends the fed/klink war and officially introduces us to an iconian)

I'd say the difference between the relationships is that the Caitians had a degree of closure and détente, whereas Vulcans and Romulans have actively been fighting. Levels of contact and such.
  • Options
    gothicsharkgothicshark Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    @gothicshark I didnt see this mentioned but only skimmed the thread after it turned into an argument. But you can make a 23c looking klingon already. I think all it takes is levelling a TOS fed out of the 6 TOS episodes. There's even chainmail sleeves/pants

akRqlof.jpg

I have leveled a TOS Fed already. Although I have the TOS Klingon Uniforms (had them since Day one of the game Lifetime, with preorder bonuses.) I can not make a Klingon with a full head of hair, and no forehead ridges.

Alass I play as an "alien" in the Empire, to get my feel. But He'll always be just an Alien. :(

ftszyeZ.png
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    tremere12 wrote: »
    I'm super psyched at the prospect of super klingons from discovery being a playable option in sto, i'd pay a lot of zen for that.

The ST:D klingon armor looks amazing. Though I have mixed feelings about the show (irrelevant at this point anyway).

it looks like Drow armor, and it's about as practical in design, that is, full of shot traps that guide incoming weapons (both melee and ranged) into vital areas instead of away, it also restricts movement, catches on everything in it's environment, and pretty much violates or violently rejects every concept of 'armor' as personal protection in any sort of active conflict (aside from, you know, stabbing yourself with your own weapons, it's great for that, ref: episode 1 for an outstanding example.)

but then, TRIBBLE's Klingons also apparently had HR Geiger designing their personal weapons, what with the slick, hard to grip surfaces for handles, pointy-bit-pointing-everywhere with no-leverage design of their version of the Battleth, daggers you really don't want to try to hang onto if they get blood on them, and disruptors that have pointless spiky bits that don't even work as bayonets, and loopy handles that don't work with five-fingered hands that Klingons, even TRIBBLE Klingons, have.

you know, stuff designed by eighties era heavy metal record company artists who not only abhor weapons as a concept, but also don't know how weapons (even basic ones, like knives) work.

in a sense, "amazing" in the sense that "it's amazing anyone would be that stupid." but not "amazing" as in "Credibly cool".

One could argue that, at this point, the Klingons are in a sort of still age for weapons, where the weapon and armor is less about actual practicality and more about flourish. Similar to late middle ages weaponry (shield-pistol-knife-spike-gauntlet, anyone?). It's possible that, at the time of Discovery, the main use of the weapons is ceremonial combat (honor duels) and the occasional killing of uppity relatives/enemies, and so the design is more about looking impressive and stylized over actual, real practicality for straight up fighting. By the time TOS rolls around, though, they've reworked things as semi-practical combat tools and weapons of war.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    You nailed the example I gave. Kudos! And while they weren't used in battle, they were still weapons. And when you have an entire range of that going on, then the baroque flair loses some of the "impractical" aspect, just because everyone is using a similar weapon design.
    As to the inter-clan warfare, again, planetary and driven by the "great houses", so they can dictate terms and aesthetics.
    Now, while i wouldn't say the Federation is incompetent, I would say it's not say it's peak. Colonies aren't exactly undefended, per se, but are definitely easy pickings for a race made predominantly of warriors. Starfleet hasn't really had the equivalent of Admiral Marcus yet, and so hasn't really pushed much in the way of militarization. They're explorers and scientists right now
    Post edited by soullessraptor on