test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO should give Harry Kim something that Voyager didn't.

13»

Comments

• Options
    bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    So back on topic I really liked the way he was when he was with Derran Tal. His willingness to go after her despite the rules was what I enjoyed about it. Harry grew up a lot by being with her for a short time. It's a real shame it was pretty much forgotten by the next episode. This is one of the reasons I like the way DS9 told a continuous story with consequences and ramifications that continued throughout the series. I think it was one of the better relationship stories in Trek. I also loved the ending where he tells Janway that he is no longer the model officer and she response that he is a better man.

I'm sure I will miss a few but some other one episode relationships I can think of that I think had the same effect on the characters were

Kirk and Miramanee.
    paradise%2Bsyndrome%2Bcouple.JPG

Picard and Lt Daren
    lessons10.jpg

Geordi and Aquiel
    C4tuvs_VMAA-vtr.jpg

Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    But the game needs to be rebuilt from the ground up in order for it to really move forward and deliver that Star Trek experience.
    Define "Star Trek Experiance" because, most of my memories of Star Trek are people awkwardly standing on the bridge, or some other room in the ship, and talking morality to each other, for most of the 45 minute run time. Which STO does quite well.
    You've watched a lot of TNG, haven't you? Try a few episodes of TOS, or something from DS9 that wasn't the first season. You might be surprised.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    Ahhh,the companion romance questline where you buy em a load of random TRIBBLE and gifts and then go...erhhh...WooHoo?

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I think the whole Tovan Khev fiasco really ruined a lot of potential for the game. Okay, maybe he could have been implemented a little better, but the idea of having a crew of Boffs who actually have backstories and relationships and voice acting was a great one, and I think it's what this game needs to move forward.

Instead of generic boffs you buy for 500 Dilithium, I think they should have ten-twenty individual characters with their own stories and voice acting, that you can recruit as desired. That would open the door for missions and story arcs that are distinctly for that character, kinda like the loyalty missions in Mass Effect 2 (yes, I'm a bit hooked on that franchise ATM :P)

The downside, of course, is that there would be fewer customization options. It would be a lot harder to create a custom race that would feel authentic compared to the presets. But I think it would be worth it, personally.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    Perhaps they could give him a cameo for the DS9 expansion where you see him talking to a Ferengi like in the first episode of Voyager.
  • Options
    bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User

I think the whole Tovan Khev fiasco really ruined a lot of potential for the game. Okay, maybe he could have been implemented a little better, but the idea of having a crew of Boffs who actually have backstories and relationships and voice acting was a great one, and I think it's what this game needs to move forward.

Instead of generic boffs you buy for 500 Dilithium, I think they should have ten-twenty individual characters with their own stories and voice acting, that you can recruit as desired. That would open the door for missions and story arcs that are distinctly for that character, kinda like the loyalty missions in Mass Effect 2 (yes, I'm a bit hooked on that franchise ATM :P)

The downside, of course, is that there would be fewer customization options. It would be a lot harder to create a custom race that would feel authentic compared to the presets. But I think it would be worth it, personally.

Yeah this could have worked really well. They could have even added new Boffs with new stories to the C-Store as a new revenue source.

Well this is now added to my list of things to beg for when I'm not hounding them for more ships and costumes.

Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    really though, nudity is not that big a deal. until about 6 years ago there was a fairly well maintaing nude patch that seemed to be fairly popular. if the interest wasnt there it would never had made it throu 5-6 years of game play. and even now there are players who are using exploits to wear bikini tops in ESD, let alone the built in bikinis of the Orions. let them do nudes it will rage for a few months then die off extept the 1-2% who run it for the shock value
    Spock.jpg