test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO should give Harry Kim something that Voyager didn't.

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,268 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    strathkin wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    They did give Harry something VOY didn't.

A promotion. He's a captain now.

Heheh... Cause every young Ensign want's the Captain's seat far more than a girlfriend. ;)
    In Starfleet? Of course. Starfleet officers don't want girlfriends, it'd be a problem when it comes to making out with aliens of the week.

How many Starfleet characters have any kind of long-term romantic relationships? O'Brien's married and then there was that thing between Worf and Dax and even that didn't last long before she died. Can't think of any more.

Paris and Tores, Riker and Troi, Beverly Crusher and Jack (he died but was in SF), Crusher married Picard in the alternative future shown in All Good Things, Janeway was engaged at the start. Probably more but that's all I can think of.
    I'm sure people say that it doesn't count as it's from Discovery but Stamets and Culber seemed pretty much a long term relationship from what I've seen so far (granted it's just clips out of context so I could be wrong).
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Final Fantasy 7: Cloud + Aeris / Cloud + Tifa

Final Fantasy 8: Squall + Rinoa is the core of the entire plot, and is directly linked to Laguna's romance subplots in the flashback sequences.

Resident Evil: though they never actually do anything, the obvious feelings between Leon and Ada influence the actions of both characters several times

StarCraft: in the original plus Brood War, the romance between Jim Raynor and Kerrigan is a subplot that's mostly just hinted at, but in StarCraft 2 it becomes central to the plot, particularly in Wings of Liberty when Raynor puts everything on the line for a chance to turn her human again.
    That was never the question, or what was even being debated. The question was asked about GOOD romances, not romances at all. Stop being dishonest and trying to move the goalposts since you got caught with your pants down.

All your have proven is exactly what I said earlier. Games are terrible at them, since all of those romances were handled abysmally.

Perhaps you could tell me what's bad about them, in your opinion? The ones I listed I genuinely enjoyed.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    What Harry needs what Voyager didn't give him is better lines.
    That's something the entire crew needed.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    ME managed the Romance aspect, but it was so short and some of it was awkward in it's handling, DAO is the same and then there are other games that just touch base on the subject and don't go beyond it and i would put star trek in that, while it deals with the emotional side of the relationship, it doesn't deal with the whole thing compared to something like rBSG which did.

What Harry needed was a real reason to keep going, he has friends, temporary companionship from one or two women in the form of sex but nothing that is long lasting or stable for him over those years and you could see it creeping up on him from time to time. Not even the Doctor and Denara could find the time for each other but he wasn't programmed for such things originally.

Romance in STO isn't a great idea honestly as it needs to be handled in such a way in a storyline to make it pleasing for everyone without making it look cheesey or dishonest and that would take a special type of writer, no offense to the current Cryptic storywriting team but their efforts are in getting into conflicts between the alliance and another race with the occasional bit of technobabble and it's a long way from writing out something really romantic.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I honestly think what STO needs in order for romance -- hell, any kind of character development -- to work is a complete overhaul of dialogue and graphics. The current system is very impersonal: the character's portrait appears in a dialogue window, they monologue for thirty seconds, and the conversation doesn't proceed until you physically click the "continue" button. And let's face it, the cutscenes are pretty terrible all around. Not blaming the devs for that, the engine is just not well-suited for that kind of thing. Even the first Mass Effect game looks and plays better than STO in regards to graphics and dialogue. I can't even imagine what a "real" conversation between two characters would look like, can you imagine them trying a romantic scene? It would fall flat.

Again, I don't fault the devs for this at all. They had to rush the game out the door in 2010, and they've made the best of what they had since then (LoR being a standout). But the game needs to be rebuilt from the ground up in order for it to really move forward and deliver that Star Trek experience.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • Options
    But the game needs to be rebuilt from the ground up in order for it to really move forward and deliver that Star Trek experience.
    Define "Star Trek Experiance" because, most of my memories of Star Trek are people awkwardly standing on the bridge, or some other room in the ship, and talking morality to each other, for most of the 45 minute run time. Which STO does quite well.

Picard and Janeway sometimes quote morality as a constant, on occasion so does Sisko however they blantantly ignore their ethical and moral responses when faced with a real chance to show where all that morality goes, the Boraalans, Torture of a starfleet crewman, reckless pursuit of a renegade starfleet ship without thinkning of lives on the ship, being a cardassian victim of torture, trilithium resin torpedos on a maquis colony, starting a war with the dominion and how it drags on.

Star Trek never got it's moral compass correct, however Star Trek Online is a whole other can of worms. The only moral choice in the game is shoot to kill and ask questions later when there is an even bigger mess than previously, so to make up for it, you kill some more to try solve the issue. More killing never solves the case, you learn nothing that way and it's become the accepted standard. don't explore a subject try to beat it to death first and force it to answer.
  • Options
    Star Trek never got it's moral compass correct, however Star Trek Online is a whole other can of worms. The only moral choice in the game is shoot to kill and ask questions later when there is an even bigger mess than previously, so to make up for it, you kill some more to try solve the issue. More killing never solves the case, you learn nothing that way and it's become the accepted standard. don't explore a subject try to beat it to death first and force it to answer.
    Except in STO it's always the other party that either shoots first, or makes it clear they don't want to talk, so literally everything the player does is self defense.

I love how people conveniently ignore that to push their agenda.

ignore what? please don't presume to think there isn't another point to answer please, thank you.

if you had let it run, i would of said that it isn't just the bad guys that shoot first, so do you and sometimes you are your own worst enemy.
  • Options
    ignore what? please don't presume to think there isn't another point to answer please, thank you.

if you had let it run, i would of said that it isn't just the bad guys that shoot first, so do you and sometimes you are your own worst enemy.
    What do you mean ignore what? I literally said what people ignore just before it.

And again, you only "shoot first" after the enemy makes it clear they aren't willing to negotiate, and are going to shoot you the moment they see you.

What? what you going on about? nevermind.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    What? what you going on about? nevermind.
    Since you seem to have trouble following your own points, I will hold your hand through this.
    1. You claimed STO gets its morality wrong by having the player kill everything
    2. I pointed out how that ignores how everything you do in STO is in self defense of an enemy who either attacks you first, or makes it clear they are not open to negotiations
    3. You asked what did you ignore, and then tried to go on some tangent about the player attacking first, and being their own worst enemy, something I already covered in the post before that
    4. I pointed out I already told you what you ignored, and then reiterated how the player attacking first means nothing, because the enemy makes it clear before you attack that they are not pen to negotiations.
    5. You then asked what am I talking about

Is English not your first language?

you are already being presumptious from the start, i mean how can i communicate with you if you made your mind up before hand? you still love your actions, but i am a little saddened how this got so far off the point.
  • Options
    you are already being presumptious from the start, i mean how can i communicate with you if you made your mind up before hand? you still love your actions, but i am a little saddened how this got so far off the point.
    I haven't made up my mind about anything, because you haven't said anything that is an opinion I could agree to disagree too, or posted some kind of question that I could have an answer too. All you have done so far is posted a "fact" which wasn't true, and I pointed out how it is not.

Jesus Christ kid, what's wrong with you?

this is why i asked, what are you going on about?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    this is why i asked, what are you going on about?
    *bangs head against desk*

For the third time now, that you lied, and misrepresented, the morality of the player's actions in-game.

you are putting some point on me that i can't explain, in each of these debates i am just very confused, i say that the choices of these actions shouldn't be so exclusive on this game and you completely go off point and then say something like "I love how people conveniently ignore that to push their agenda." but i was trying to keep an open mind at the time, did you once consider i didn't want or requested to be called a liar or a misrepresented voice? you have made that choice for me that i can't have a voice of my own and something you can't respect, i don't know, that isn't my place to say.

i am still very confused right now.
  • Options
    you are putting some point on me that i can't explain, in each of these debates i am just very confused, i say that the choices of this game shouldn't be so exclusive on this game and you completely go off point and then say something like "I love how people conveniently ignore that to push their agenda." but i was trying to keep an open mind at the time, did you once consider i didn't want or requested to be called a liar or a misrepresented voice? you have made that choice for me that i can't have a voice of my own and something you can't respect, i don't know, that isn't my place to say.

i am still very confused right now.
    I really don't know if this is just some weak attempt to move goalposts, in an attempt to get out of the fact you got caught lying, or you just have an extremely poor grasp on the English language, and you simply don't know what it is you said, but either way, what you said was wrong, objectively so.

If you don't really understand the language of the forum you are posting on, go to a forum that uses your native language. You are just going to keep confusing yourself if you keep this up.

there is little point continuing, i am trying in earnest and with a great deal of respect without insulting you or disrespecting you in return to try and find an answer here, and i mean, i can't win? so that ends this debate. as i already said, i am a little saddened with the way things have gone.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    knock off the attitude and drop it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Harry Kim was a total chump. Seven years without a promotion. I can't even imagine doing the same job for seven years, doing it extremely well, and barely getting so much as a thanks. He's the last person on Voyager I would ever expect to reach the rank of captain. But that was only a possible future, in Endgame. He was sort of a renegade on another episode where he travels back in time to save Voyager from crashing, so we don't really know what Harry Kim becomes after Voyager.
    You are aware almost all of the bad things with Voyager (story and character wise) is because of the show staff mucking up stuff with the stories AND the actors' acting?

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 10,347 Community Moderator
    OK, guys. That's enough. There's obviously been some miscommunication between you two, and trying to sort it out is just making it worse. Let's stop with the insults and accusations and move on. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    reemus#2383 reemus Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Miles O'Brien still had the worst luck of any major character in Trek. Most of his DS9 episodes just not kind to him and his family. He'd need more recompense than Kim! :D But they do share in that both had duplicates(originals???) that died and got replaced by the other one.

Hell, even in TNG when he was possessed he basically tried to TRIBBLE his own wife and choke out their newborn baby lol
  • Options
    reemus#2383 reemus Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Or Seven and Chakotay story... far as I know Chakotay should still be alive?