test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium Refining Increase

So I've been playing STO for over a while now, and I've purchased Klingon and Romulan 3 pack ships, and now I wanted a Temporal 3 pack for my fed toon. but at $60 US a pack or $78 AUD each ($157 AUD spent so far or $235 AUD for all 3 3-packs), on principle alone that's ridiculous for a game. Also if I was to purchase some of the special fleet gear Dil is needed there aswell. So I've been attempting to grind out the required Dil and exchange it for Zen, and after a month of doing so, I'm not even half way there. Currently I make More Dil than I can refine per day and it will take just over 21 days to refine it all, IF I don't make anymore. So basically WHY is there an 8k cap on Dil refinement at all, It really isn't necessary, it just slows down the game for those of us that do not want to spend large amounts on a game. So please increase or remove the refining of Dilithium, Because I'm really getting bored of the constant, repetitive grinding.

Comments

• Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    NO! Simply put if they did increase the amount of dill you could refine in a day, then the exchange price would climb out of control again, and make it worth less. This subject comes up about once a month, and really needs put into the FCT (if it is not already there).​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    OP, you may not understand the basics of supply and demand so let me lay it out for you. If there were no dil refinement cap, the price of dil per zen would instantly hit 500 dil, the maximum allowed by the game. This would mean that there would be ZERO zen available for purchase as there would be so much dil in the game (due to zero refining limit) that all available zen would be bought by the flooded dil in no time. You would actually have to wait even longer and/or basically never be able to trade for enough zen.

Never mind the fact that each zen would cost you about double the dilithium that it costs now.

Now let's say that you want to increase the refine limit. Seriously, this NEEDS to be an FCT by now. It's the oldest "dumb noob idea" in the book. Everyone has brought it up and everyone gets shot down because it's a horrible idea. Not as bad as removing the refinement limit but still bad. Doubling the refinement limit would double the amount of dil in the game. That alone could be enough to push the dil/zen price to 500. Again causing the same problem.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    no...
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    The evil mirror part in me thinks that in light of the new fantastic 80 million Dil fleet holding I slowly start to care less about the grinding time of FP2 peeps and would love for cryptic go ahead with this. >:)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    alphagoralphagor Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Honestly, you now have the ability to get a stable supply. Why on Earth would you want to crack down the dilithium value now? Supply and demand. supply goes up, demand will dwindle.
  • Options
    mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    The dailly cap is to keep dilithium having value. If your in a fleet, you can refine 500 dil extra each day in dilithium fleet mining. If your LTS, you refine 1k dil every 2 days extra.
    As manny tried to explain, its basic economy; supply and demand. More dil = less zen, and if anyone had no cap, they dont need the exchange annymore, cause they could refine their entire account at once and not needing other players for a long time, killing the dilithium.

The 8k refine is per char, if you really want to avoid spending real money ingame and use the f2p model, then alting + spend time is the other way.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/13288747

Also Arc launcher has also daillys, which also can result in free zen, some harddisk space and/or dailly boot up pressing cancel to use this way for free zen (keep in mind some parts in the world are unable to start several games (elsword for example)).

Several times a year, ships and ship bundles are on discount (not just flash sales), like summer, xmas, black friday. Then u do not need to spend max zen. (Also gives u time to farm zen)

Be glad the phoenix boxes allready balanced dil down.
    "Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Increase the refinement cap and watch the Exchange Rate go up. On the PC the exchange rate is around 290:1. Bump up the Refinement Cap to 9,000 per day and you may see the exchange rate go up to around 400:1.

If you were playing STO before Cryptic introduced the Phoenix Prize Packs and before the cool down on the "Turn in Contraband" mission was 4 hours instead of 20 hours, then you may have recalled the exchange rate hovering around 425:1 to 450:1 for a period of time.

I actually would not mind too much if the exchange rate hovered in the 450:1 to 500:1 range because I sometime buy refined dil and at such a high exchange rate I would definitely get a good bang for my buck. However, Cryptic prefers to keep it low because they believe high exchange rate is detrimental to the free to play player base. While I have not played Neverwinter, I do recall reading about where the Astral Diamonds was pretty hard to convert to Zen because not a lot of players were willing to purchase Astral Diamonds with Zen.

I do not know what caused the economy to go haywire, but from what I have read even at an exchange rate of 500:1 not many players were willing to purchase Astral Diamonds with Zen. That means the perceived value of Astral Diamonds was so low (maybe because they were so abundant) that some players thought that it would not be worth buying them unless the exchange rate exceeded the cap of 500:1.

Translate that into STO would be something like if Refined Dil is pretty easy to get, then I could do so myself without resorting to buying it with Zen. It would only be worth buying Refined Dil if the exchange rate was 600:1 (assuming that is my own personal opinion of the value of Refined Dil). Since the cap is 500:1, that means I will never see the exchange rate reach 600:1, and therefore, in my mind my Zen is worth more to me than your 500 Refined Dil.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I did play never winter and I saw the exchange over there. Astral diamonds were stacked up so much that the exchange was capped at max and there was a backlog of months worth of purchases to be made before t could drop even one point.

So OP Nope. If you want to refine more, do this one buy the life time sub (Added benefit is you can refine dil even when not online, one weeks worth at a time.) and join a fleet with a T3 dilithium mine. refine your 8k head to the mine refine the added 500 dil head to Star Fleet or KDF Academies, refine some more there at the refinement officer I think its 1000 every 2 days. There you go you now have a dil refine cap of 9000 every day.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    And to think... the NW crew thought it would be a good idea to increase the amount of AD you could refine per day to 36,000... ugh
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    It's fine and valuable right where it is. See pro-economic strats above me. 235 per zen is already stupid.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I don't know where you keep saying it's 8k cap for free accounts... you can have 4 toons so that comes to 32K a day. You just need to play more than 1 toon and treat the other 3 toons as mules/dil grinders. Keep em parked at Dyson Battleground and get that 8k in an hour or two on each toon... Dill can be shared across your toons on the same account.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Please do as the OP requests Cryptic, my real world money isn't worth the pitiful valuation it currently has on the dil exchange. Unless something happens to raise the exchange rate I won't be exchanging any Zen any time soon.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    I think they should double the refinement cap and triple all the prices as a lesson in economics.

Flooding the market with an item devalues it.
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @kriesus said:
    > So I've been playing STO for over a while now, and I've purchased Klingon and Romulan 3 pack ships, and now I wanted a Temporal 3 pack for my fed toon. but at $60 US a pack or $78 AUD each ($157 AUD spent so far or $235 AUD for all 3 3-packs), on principle alone that's ridiculous for a game. Also if I was to purchase some of the special fleet gear Dil is needed there aswell. So I've been attempting to grind out the required Dil and exchange it for Zen, and after a month of doing so, I'm not even half way there. Currently I make More Dil than I can refine per day and it will take just over 21 days to refine it all, IF I don't make anymore. So basically WHY is there an 8k cap on Dil refinement at all, It really isn't necessary, it just slows down the game for those of us that do not want to spend large amounts on a game. So please increase or remove the refining of Dilithium, Because I'm really getting bored of the constant, repetitive grinding.

That’s the point they’re trying to get you to spend money on game
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    If there were no dil refinement cap, the price of dil per zen would instantly hit 500 dil, the maximum allowed by the game. This would mean that there would be ZERO zen available for purchase as there would be so much dil in the game (due to zero refining limit) that all available zen would be bought by the flooded dil in no time. You would actually have to wait even longer and/or basically never be able to trade for enough zen.

OTOH sales of LTS would skyrocket...

The amazing thing to me is that Cryptic hasn't already made that connection and increased the limit. Money maker.

• Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Seriously...do they no longer teach basic economics in school anymore?

SIGH...

No. No they don't. Instead they teach kids how to demand safe spaces.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    kriesus wrote: »
    So I've been playing STO for over a while now, and I've purchased Klingon and Romulan 3 pack ships, and now I wanted a Temporal 3 pack for my fed toon. but at $60 US a pack or $78 AUD each ($157 AUD spent so far or $235 AUD for all 3 3-packs), on principle alone that's ridiculous for a game. Also if I was to purchase some of the special fleet gear Dil is needed there aswell. So I've been attempting to grind out the required Dil and exchange it for Zen, and after a month of doing so, I'm not even half way there. Currently I make More Dil than I can refine per day and it will take just over 21 days to refine it all, IF I don't make anymore. So basically WHY is there an 8k cap on Dil refinement at all, It really isn't necessary, it just slows down the game for those of us that do not want to spend large amounts on a game. So please increase or remove the refining of Dilithium, Because I'm really getting bored of the constant, repetitive grinding.

LOL you new here?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Please add to FCT @ambassadorkael#6946

^ Seconded.

Thirded.
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Please add to FCT @ambassadorkael#6946

^ Seconded.

Thirded.
    My useless no vote cancels your useless third yes vote. :)

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    This is why people vote for politicians making impossible promises of candy and rainbows for everyone. Nothing could go wrong. There IS such a thing as a free lunch!
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    Well I certainly had a free lunch when I found $10 laying around.
  • Options
    lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    I agree somewhat with the OP, I understand the concern for those who use Dillithium to buy cstore ships.

With that being said, there is a clear compromise -- Neverwinter. Neverwinter has proven that allowing purchases with dillithium through the exchange allows for a healthy dillithium economy which allows people to acquire dillithium from more than one source while ensuring the same restrictions of dillithium creation.

So long as there are dillithium sinks in the game, raising the Dillithium refine limit (not uncapping it) will not cause prices to bottom out. There should be an alternative currency in the game that can be purchased with EC that acts the same as dillithium that cannot be traded (bound to character). This would allow for a huge EC sink that will make EC more valuable in game and reduce inflation.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Did you seriously use NW as an example of a healthy premium currency to cash currency exchange?!? Are you nuts?

Indeed I did. The economy is just as stable as it is here. Diamonds are created exactly the same as they are in STO, with a refine limit which means that the inflation can only rise at the same percentages as it does in STO, if there are any imbalances it is not because AD's can be traded on the market because the same basic principals apply with capping the creation of AD.
    If they increase the dil refine, you wont be able to get more zen. The dil/zen rate will go up and you'll be worse off than you are now.

The only problem with this is, there are constantly more dill sinks being added to the game and no increases to dill creation. The problem is compounded because we're also bleeding players which are factories of dill creation. This is creating a high demand for dillithium. Where you look at the trade from the "I need a Cstore ship" side of things, there are other players on the other side buying Zen because they can't refine dill across 20 toons fast enough to keep up with a growing fleet or upgrades after every update.

Right as of this moment, dillithium is being artificially deflated. The problem with this is how intrinsically entwined Zen and Dill are. So, what happens when dill falls back down to 200 per zen? Sure, you'll be happy, but those that are paying $1.00 for 100 zen will not be, and they'll stop buying, which will decrease the supply of Zen while maintaining the same demand, which will cause your precious prices to skyrocket again. Ultimately, dill will normalize no matter what happens, sure, after a cap increase, the prices will rise, but when people's dillithium reserves are gone and they're all back down to grinding every day, they will again normalize.

Again, right as of this moment, there are way too many sinks in the game and too many new ones being added to NOT consider a refining increase, even if it is 500 or 1K dill per day more.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    lordlalo wrote: »
    Did you seriously use NW as an example of a healthy premium currency to cash currency exchange?!? Are you nuts?

Indeed I did. The economy is just as stable as it is here. Diamonds are created exactly the same as they are in STO, with a refine limit which means that the inflation can only rise at the same percentages as it does in STO, if there are any imbalances it is not because AD's can be traded on the market because the same basic principals apply with capping the creation of AD.

Never played NW, would that be like using Dilithium to buy things on the exchange? I wonder what that would do to lockbox ship prices ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png