test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

When in canon with the Dominon...

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
The Breen had installed one of their energy dampening weapons onto a Jem'hadar ship and were planning to retrofit the entire Dominion fleet, shouldn't Jem'hadar AND Cardassian ships be able to install the Breen consoles?

I know, I know...it would be too much fun if we could.

Comments

• Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    The Allies found a way to negate the weapon anyway. It was probably an issue where by the time it was ready to be mass-installed, it was just too late.

In-game, though? I don't see a severe reason why it shouldn't be able to be equipped.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    my head-canon, is that the Breen stuff we u se in-game is newer and more advanced to the point of needing another year of research to make it work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    The Breen had installed one of their energy dampening weapons onto a Jem'hadar ship and were planning to retrofit the entire Dominion fleet, shouldn't Jem'hadar AND Cardassian ships be able to install the Breen consoles?

No, because they aren't part of an alliance any more and the technology belongs to the Breen. Also I doubt Cardassian ships were part of the original agreement
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    fluffymoof wrote: »
    The Allies found a way to negate the weapon anyway. It was probably an issue where by the time it was ready to be mass-installed, it was just too late.

In-game, though? I don't see a severe reason why it shouldn't be able to be equipped.
    It's even mentioned in the description of said weapon:
    The Breen Energy Dissipator is a potent weapon that was able to incapacitate enemy ships during the Dominion War until the Federation and Klingon forces adapted their ships to compensate. This weapon represents a state of the art upgrade, but due to the architecture change in modern ships, the weapon only reduces the power levels of targets rather than entirely disabling all their systems at once.
    Also, I'm pretty sure the Cardassians were unofficially used as cannon fodder, so the stance about giving them advanced Dominion tech was something close to:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKhxjfG03A
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    The Breen Energy Dissipator is a potent weapon that was able to incapacitate enemy ships during the Dominion War until the Federation and Klingon forces adapted their ships to compensate. This weapon represents a state of the art upgrade, but due to the architecture change in modern ships, the weapon only reduces the power levels of targets rather than entirely disabling all their systems at once.
    Also, I'm pretty sure the Cardassians were unofficially used as cannon fodder, so the stance about giving them advanced Dominion tech was something close to:

There is no better cannon fodder in the Quadrent than a Klingon
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    kayajay wrote: »

I know, I know...it would be too much fun if we could.

IF that ship is the prototype, the first dominion ship to be outfitted with breen tech and considering the amount of work it takes to get it installed properly, it could of been the first in many if it had been taken into battle against Federation, Klingons and Romulans. something to show the Dominion leadership how effective such a weapon would be at first as to convince them that they should be on every Dominion ship in the fleet.

Problem is as fuffymoof mentioned, the ship was delivered to the struggling allied forces as Starfleet picked the dampening weapon apart and immediately gave their allies all the details on how to combat it. It meant that such an undertaking for the Dominion was ultimately useless.

So far they only installed on one Dominion attack ship and no gaurantees it would of ever worked because be never saw it in action.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User

Anyone else notice the typo in the description? They somehow misspelled Romulan, instead spelling it Klingon.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the typo in the description? They somehow misspelled Romulan, instead spelling it Klingon.

Funny... I thought the Jem'Hadar were more cannon fodder as they willingly threw themselves at the enemy. After all, their pre-battle ritual even says they are already dead, and must go into battle to reclaim their lives.

Anyways... the main reason the Federation and Klingons were able to adapt was because there was already one ship immune to the Breen Weapon. Martok's BoP. All because she had an unintended intermix ratio that negated the weapon's effects if I recall correctly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Anyways... the main reason the Federation and Klingons were able to adapt was because there was already one ship immune to the Breen Weapon. Martok's BoP. All because she had an unintended intermix ratio that negated the weapon's effects if I recall correctly.

Only the Klingons were immune because of the modification done to the IKS Ki'tang, the Federation and Romulans had to wait to get the weapon because their Warp Cores were incompatible with the modification.

The STO description though, says the Federation and Klingons were taken out of the fight until they found a way to adapt. It should say the 'Federation and Romulan forces', since the Klingons already had the required adaption and didn't have to wait at all.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,791 Arc User

Only the Klingons were immune because of the modification done to the IKS Ki'tang, the Federation and Romulans had to wait to get the weapon because their Warp Cores were incompatible with the modification.

The STO description though, says the Federation and Klingons were taken out of the fight until they found a way to adapt. It should say the 'Federation and Romulan forces', since the Klingons already had the required adaption and didn't have to wait at all.

It doesn't have to be a typo. The Klingons managed to counter the effects of the Breen weapon by pure chance. One ship's engineer just did something that worked; the Klingons had to make all the changes to all their other ships in the fleet as Martok explicitly stated he had ordered them to do.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    luddimus wrote: »

There is no better cannon fodder in the Quadrent than a Klingon

Yeah there is. A human that can't live by the Prime Directive. Which is generally all of them. Which makes just about all Starfleet officers the best cannon fodder one can find. All you have to do is point them in the direction of your enemy and say, "They need moral guidance." Then sit back and watch as Starfleet starts to send ship after ship in that direction. Which makes Starfleet instant cannon fodder, and the plus side is, they'll volunteer to do it.

can·non fod·der
    noun
    soldiers regarded merely as material to be expended in war.

Starfleet officers explained perfectly.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options

It doesn't have to be a typo. The Klingons managed to counter the effects of the Breen weapon by pure chance. One ship's engineer just did something that worked; the Klingons had to make all the changes to all their other ships in the fleet as Martok explicitly stated he had ordered them to do.

The 'typo' part was a joke.

It's still inaccurate, though. If it was lore-accurate, it would have said Romulan. The Klingon fleet was the only one not incapacitated by the weapon, which is why they had to fight the war alone for a while.