test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hydro-electric? Really?

captiannemo117captiannemo117 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
So I'm playing melting pot, go to talk to the face mask guy, he says the generator can produce 3 kilowatts, which he then says "it's not much unless you consider that the planet has lots of them" (paraphrasing). Well, I did consider that, and I did a little math.

The enterprise D can produce (at least) 12.75 billion gigawatts (TNG: "True Q"), a gigawatt is a billion watts, so 1 billion times 1 billion times 12.75 is 12,750,000,000,000,000,000 watts. A kilowatt is 1,000 watts, so those waterfalls would produce 3,000 watts.

So it would take 4.25 QUADRILLION (4,250,000,000,000,000) waterfalls to produce the same power that a SINGLE warp core does. Remind me again how needlessly installing equipment into a natural environment it beneficial to said environment.

Poor writing, please improve.
Post edited by captiannemo117 on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    A Hydro-Electric powersource is actually a lot LESS destructive then a Matter-Antimatter Reactor. If the Hydro-Electric fails, it doesn't take the entire colony with it.

Also consider that we're talking Lukari tech. Its probably A LOT more productive than modern day versions.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    there's also the matter that IIRC anti-matter fuel is actually net negative when when it comes to power generation aka it takes more energy to produce a ton of anti-matter then that anti matter ever give and most stations and colonies use alternative sources of power.

Anti-matter is used on starships as it gives the best power/space ratio mean starships can devote more space to other things then the main reactor, but anti-matter is not a "solves everything" über fuel. there's some massive limits to its use.

Also how much power does a colony like Dranuur need anyway, they have no need to install what's essentially a massive nuke on a hair trigger that needs constant supervision to not go boom. Since in case you didn't know if anti-matter comes into contact with any regular matter they turn into energy.
  • Options
    usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    The environmental and renewable energy themes have been pretty heavy handed lately, not that I’m against protecting the environment.

One could say the Lukari are just really out of their element. They think they’re big dogs, but they’re just little yappers, if ya catch my drift. Others might read the rhetoric as something else, as interplanetary class politics, or as an enslaved species courting favor with its oppressor.

So they brag about their stupid waterfalls, their cooky scientists, and their joint technology, but it’s really just junk to the federation. What we have to keep in mind is that the federation is setting up these little space faring puppet regimes throughout the galaxy, patting them on the back for their paltry accomplishments, convincing them to keep slaving away on their little empires, all while withholding truely transformative technology and keeping tabs on resource development and advances that might be beneficial to the core planets in the federation. The members of this elite core have grown so fat and complacent that they don’t even realize the math is off. They can’t do math. Technology has reduced labor to just three minigames, after all.

It’s an inter-planetary racket that has been running smoothly for hundreds of years at this point. Starfleet can afford unlimited ships. Earth citizens live a life of luxury. Meanwhile, people like the Lukari, who only want a taste of the good life, keep slaving away on their little waterfall projects hoping to get a big grant or investment from the mighty Fed. In these episodes where the environmental rhetoric is ratcheted up you’re really witnessing a “lesser” species do a little dance and audition, begging for scraps at the table like the little yappers they are.

If the Lukari were smart they would covertly begin training commandos in infiltration, espionage, and sabotage. Don’t act immediately. They should try to get as many Lukaris as close to federation centers of power as possible: cooks, laborers, and academics in the heart of Starfleet academy in San Francisco, just laying in wait for the time to strike.

Meanwhile, the Lukari should secretly begin sending envoys to meet with the Cardassian, Klingon, Romulan, and Dominion governments, to any possible allies they can find in the coming war. Find those elements within each government seeking conflict with the Feds and cultivate relationships, intel sharing, and begin planning for the day that the mighty Federation is brought to its knees.

The big bear is too strong for any one foe. It has proven this again and again. But if the Lukari are successful in waging asymmetrical warfare and a fear campaign in the heart of the federation it can work. A million tiny cuts—from the Breen, from the Jem Hadar, from the Klingons—on all borders.

As those borders contract, and as the feds’ resources are spread thin to the edges of space, then, AND ONLY THEN, the Lukari should strike, bringing down buildings and ships and waging a campaign of fear upon the people depriving them of technology, manipulating their relationships with other, perhaps more useful species, and sucking away their natural resources like true vampires.

These vampires, of course, are the people of Earth, and the Lukari are going hit them when and where they least expect it.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    The google says "Hoover Dam can produce over 2,000 megawatts of capacity and a yearly average generation of 4.5 billion kilowatt hours."

I assume the Kentari ones are a bit smaller than Hoover dam. ;) More like 19th century water wheels at mills. Or most likely, someone at Cryptic didn't research hydro-electric dams and just thought '3000 kilowatts' sounded big. :D

Currently a 'small home' needs 15kw, so unless the Kentari are very very energy efficient, they suck at making electricity.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    there's also the matter that IIRC anti-matter fuel is actually net negative when when it comes to power generation aka it takes more energy to produce a ton of anti-matter then that anti matter ever give

Bananas create antimatter roughly every seventy-five minutes. They can start a plantation. Then they will have food and power. ;)

• Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Saying 70 years of innovation cannot make for a better hydro electric whatsawhosits?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    While it's a nice message to have, having anything but fusion reactors in Star Trek's world and technology used makes little sense. Even a magically super efficient, non-invasive hydro-electric plant won't be able to 'realistically' provide for a colony full of future tech like replicators and transporters. They should have settled for solar collectors in orbit or something. It would have been more believable in my opinion.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    They have fusion reactors in Star Trek. Tons of them. And energy cells the size of a mailbox. We've heard from colony worlds that are using geothermal power, but water and wind power, that's new.

And you wouldn't just build a bunch of wheels under a waterfall anyway. You would lose most energy that way. Instead you would collect the water further up the mountain and duct it through a high pressure pipe directly to the turbines.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    I guess it is 99% about the message here, not the feasability. Although I could imagine a family home in the 25th century being powered that way...
    forget that, any 25th century solar panel would be more efficent and more readily available.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    baudl wrote: »
    I guess it is 99% about the message here, not the feasability. Although I could imagine a family home in the 25th century being powered that way...
    forget that, any 25th century solar panel would be more efficent and more readily available.

I agree, but hydro-electricity is a weird vessel to choose for the message (I approve of in general). It's among the biggest problem sources renewables have, solar and wind would make more sense (and those have their own share of problems, but are in theory much better. Hydro-electricity can't even theoretically work without massive impacts to the environment it's generated in). Or, as @szim said, geothermal plants. Those are even canonical.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    Dranuur colony does have wind power as well, it's not exclusively hydropower (those big chrismas tree looking towers are suppose to be wind turbines).
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The hydropower is just for show. In reality the colony is powered by the omega molecules we dig out of the corals. ;)

More seriously, what would the colony need 12.75 billion gigawatts (per second :D ) for anyway?
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    there's also the matter that IIRC anti-matter fuel is actually net negative when when it comes to power generation aka it takes more energy to produce a ton of anti-matter then that anti matter ever give and most stations and colonies use alternative sources of power.

Anti-matter is used on starships as it gives the best power/space ratio mean starships can devote more space to other things then the main reactor, but anti-matter is not a "solves everything" über fuel. there's some massive limits to its use.

Also how much power does a colony like Dranuur need anyway, they have no need to install what's essentially a massive nuke on a hair trigger that needs constant supervision to not go boom. Since in case you didn't know if anti-matter comes into contact with any regular matter they turn into energy.

Cool Explanation Shim. :)

I also don‘t recall in star trek that a Matter/Antimatter core was ever used for planet side installations. Stuff like core ejections was discussed a few times on the other hand. Could be that those thingies are also out of a question there because of safety reasons.

Also OP, I don’t mind nerds… at all. I even don’t mind angry nerds you know. But the way you post makes me think about fanatic nerds for the first time. Quiet creepy. :/
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    This is something you have an issue with? Really?

Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    And here I thought the Lukari were into using protomatter to fix all their energy needs.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    The environmental and renewable energy themes have been pretty heavy handed lately, not that I’m against protecting the environment.

One could say the Lukari are just really out of their element. They think they’re big dogs, but they’re just little yappers, if ya catch my drift. Others might read the rhetoric as something else, as interplanetary class politics, or as an enslaved species courting favor with its oppressor.

So they brag about their stupid waterfalls, their cooky scientists, and their joint technology, but it’s really just junk to the federation. What we have to keep in mind is that the federation is setting up these little space faring puppet regimes throughout the galaxy, patting them on the back for their paltry accomplishments, convincing them to keep slaving away on their little empires, all while withholding truely transformative technology and keeping tabs on resource development and advances that might be beneficial to the core planets in the federation. The members of this elite core have grown so fat and complacent that they don’t even realize the math is off. They can’t do math. Technology has reduced labor to just three minigames, after all.

It’s an inter-planetary racket that has been running smoothly for hundreds of years at this point. Starfleet can afford unlimited ships. Earth citizens live a life of luxury. Meanwhile, people like the Lukari, who only want a taste of the good life, keep slaving away on their little waterfall projects hoping to get a big grant or investment from the mighty Fed. In these episodes where the environmental rhetoric is ratcheted up you’re really witnessing a “lesser” species do a little dance and audition, begging for scraps at the table like the little yappers they are.

If the Lukari were smart they would covertly begin training commandos in infiltration, espionage, and sabotage. Don’t act immediately. They should try to get as many Lukaris as close to federation centers of power as possible: cooks, laborers, and academics in the heart of Starfleet academy in San Francisco, just laying in wait for the time to strike.

Meanwhile, the Lukari should secretly begin sending envoys to meet with the Cardassian, Klingon, Romulan, and Dominion governments, to any possible allies they can find in the coming war. Find those elements within each government seeking conflict with the Feds and cultivate relationships, intel sharing, and begin planning for the day that the mighty Federation is brought to its knees.

The big bear is too strong for any one foe. It has proven this again and again. But if the Lukari are successful in waging asymmetrical warfare and a fear campaign in the heart of the federation it can work. A million tiny cuts—from the Breen, from the Jem Hadar, from the Klingons—on all borders.

As those borders contract, and as the feds’ resources are spread thin to the edges of space, then, AND ONLY THEN, the Lukari should strike, bringing down buildings and ships and waging a campaign of fear upon the people depriving them of technology, manipulating their relationships with other, perhaps more useful species, and sucking away their natural resources like true vampires.

These vampires, of course, are the people of Earth, and the Lukari are going hit them when and where they least expect it.

1ychxx.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Why not use matter/antimatter reactors for energy production planetside?

If the containment on a nuclear fission reactor, such as the ones we use on Earth today, were to fail, there would be a large release of radiation in the immediate area, and the reaction would fizzle to a stop over time (assuming that something prevents the control rods from falling into place - they're held out of the reactor by electromagnets, and if the power fails and nothing else stops them, the rods will fall into the core and slow the reaction further).

If the containment on a nuclear fusion reactor fails, the plasma will melt a hole in the reactor vessel, but at the same time will cool to below fusion temperatures, stopping the reaction pretty much immediately.

If the containment on your stored antimatter fails, the antimatter will come into contact with the walls of its container. The energy release is given by the famed equation E=mc^2, where "m" is double the mass of the antimatter (because it will annihilate an equal amount of matter). The positron release of bananas is trivial, on the order of one or two positrons over that 75-hour period, so the energy release as the positron annihilates is lower than the normal background radiation of Earth anyway. However, if you've got enough antimatter to generate a worthwhile amount of energy in a controlled reaction, it's going to release just as much in an uncontrolled reaction - just all at once.

Now, why do the Lukari use hydropower rather than fusion reactors? Probably because they've been presented as kind of hippy-dippy from the first moment we met them, and hydropower is "natural". It does have advantages over solar - you don't need to maintain a number of orbital installations that can interfere with space traffic, and the ground installations for hydro take up less space than for solar while also producing power on a constant basis.

However, unless you're being kind of hypersensitive about things, this doesn't seem to be a "message" to us as players - nobody comes out and says, "Hey, using nuclear power is evil!!" They do note that burning things for power is destructive to the environment, but come on, we've known that for centuries here on Earth (check out the figures for deaths attributable to smog in, say, London from 1850-1950, or LA from 1940-1970). And if you are so sensitive that you think the Lukari choices are meant to be a smug lecture to you, you might want to ask yourself in seriousness - why would you think that? Are you trying to tell yourself something?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I have not problem with them using hydro-electric power. The thing here is, how they have them setup, they would be producing minimal power. There is no dam, or water flow control. Both of which require you to build something in order to obtain maximum power production. You can't just place the turbine or generator in the water and have it magically start producing power. Sorry, hydro-electric just doesn't work that way.

And yes, you need those water flow control systems with hydro-electric power generation. The only way to shut a turbine or generator down for maintenance, is to stop the water flow to it.

On the bright side of it though. There's always fresh sushi being blasted out of a turbine's exhaust.

So yes, between building the water flow control systems and the sushi. Hydro-electric power has a very real impact on the environment. It's just a smaller impact than other power sources.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User

I also don‘t recall in star trek that a Matter/Antimatter core was ever used for planet side installations. Stuff like core ejections was discussed a few times on the other hand. Could be that those thingies are also out of a question there because of safety reasons.

DS9 just used a giant fusion plant (which are the auxiliary/impulse reactors on Starfleet starships) - I would figure most power would be handled by that or, given the level of refinement in fabrication, solar power satellites.

Most current designs for fusion plasma reactors aren't likely to be like fusion bombs either given the probable amount of plasma at one time (wouldn't want to be next to one when the vacuum is breached, though).
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options

Also OP, I don’t mind nerds… at all. I even don’t mind angry nerds you know. But the way you post makes me think about fanatic nerds for the first time. Quiet creepy. :/
    We got to remember that mere 3 kg of matter/anti-matter give a photon torp a max yield equilevant of a large nuke and a warp core breach would be an equilevant of several (possibly even hundreds) of photon torps detonating all at once and at max yield. in essence a photon torp would be a city killer a warp core breach would be a country killer (if not dampened by shields obviously).

and as stated by me and others a matter/anti-matter reactor needs constantly supervision and fails very unsafely.
  • Options
    tubafiredragontubafiredragon Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Regarding the production of antimatter, my ship fire beams of antiprotons all the live long day, so tech has apparently reached a point that antimatter production is controlled enough to be used as beam/cannon weaponry.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Kentari Engineer Cajemaa: "We're trying to build an industrial infrastructure while respecting Lukari design... recommendations. It's, ah, let's say "challenging"."

If there's any inefficient design choices, it's safe to guess the Lukari may be the cause.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    Regarding the production of antimatter, my ship fire beams of antiprotons all the live long day, so tech has apparently reached a point that antimatter production is controlled enough to be used as beam/cannon weaponry.

well Photon(ic) torpedos have always had anti-matter as part of the warhead and honest you don't need much anti-matter cause damage equilevant to phasers.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Kentari Engineer Cajemaa: "We're trying to build an industrial infrastructure while respecting Lukari design... recommendations. It's, ah, let's say "challenging"."

If there's any inefficient design choices, it's safe to guess the Lukari may be the cause.

Well, the Lukari don't wanna turn the planet into a chemical cesspit where one's lungs begin to melt. I personally would not want to live on the Kentari world, nor let the Kentari repeat it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    angrytarg wrote: »
    baudl wrote: »

I agree, but hydro-electricity is a weird vessel to choose for the message (I approve of in general). It's among the biggest problem sources renewables have, solar and wind would make more sense (and those have their own share of problems, but are in theory much better. Hydro-electricity can't even theoretically work without massive impacts to the environment it's generated in). Or, as @szim said, geothermal plants. Those are even canonical.​​

How about all of the above? Just because they only mention the hydroelectric turbine in the mission doesn't mean that they aren't using all of those renewable sources. The details of the upgrades in the Renewable Energy track of the colony holding show that they are also using solar, wind and geothermal, at least.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post by the same person. Fixed it now.
    Post edited by anodynes on
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    While it's a nice message to have, having anything but fusion reactors in Star Trek's world and technology used makes little sense. Even a magically super efficient, non-invasive hydro-electric plant won't be able to 'realistically' provide for a colony full of future tech like replicators and transporters. They should have settled for solar collectors in orbit or something. It would have been more believable in my opinion.​​

How about all of the above? Just because they only mention the hydroelectric turbine in the mission doesn't mean that they aren't using all of those renewable sources. The details of the upgrades in the Renewable Energy track of the colony holding show that they are also using solar, wind and geothermal, at least.

Also, remember...this is an alien technology also at work. They might have found way to really get a 'bang for the buck' as it were, with these things. And I'm sure the entire planet can be peppered, here and there, with these little stations.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    anodynes wrote: »

Also, remember...this is an alien technology also at work. They might have found way to really get a 'bang for the buck' as it were, with these things. And I'm sure the entire planet can be peppered, here and there, with these little stations.
    there's limits to how efficient you can make things, but still the Dranuur colony isn't that big, it really seems to be only a size of a small(ish) village so it's unlikely it needs that much power.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    you are overthinking it. they could have said oohh look at the solar power generator it makes 70 oogilies of power. they chos the waterfall because it's PRETTY. so give taco his due. it's really a gorgeous map
    We Want Vic Fontaine