Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I Like it
    artan42 wrote: »
    orangeitis wrote: »
    if it isn't shown onscreen, it didn't happen

statement of action != action)
    I don't really care about the topic in question, but this claim struck me as odd. I don't think you can claim to understand fictional universes if all you think hat happened is what was shown. That logic is basically implying that none of the characters were even born because their births weren't shown. It's a blatant disregard of the acknowledgement of continuity.
    But their presence implies their births. Only 'what's onscreen counts' means you can't just add your own fanon and expect a level playing field. You can draw conclusions like Kor might have eaten the Albinos heart but there's no way of knowing if he would or not. However we see Kor implying at some point Kor must have been born.​​
    Kor said he was planning to do it. That is incontrovertible fact. Unless he was explicitly shown to NOT do it then it is best to assume he did.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    people also say to their coworkers they're going to kill their bosses all the time - how many of them have actually done it?

statement of action != action​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I don't like it

I don't really care about the topic in question, but this claim struck me as odd. I don't think you can claim to understand fictional universes if all you think hat happened is what was shown. That logic is basically implying that none of the characters were even born because their births weren't shown. It's a blatant disregard of the acknowledgement of continuity.
    But their presence implies their births. Only 'what's onscreen counts' means you can't just add your own fanon and expect a level playing field. You can draw conclusions like Kor might have eaten the Albinos heart but there's no way of knowing if he would or not. However we see Kor implying at some point Kor must have been born.​​
    Kor said he was planning to do it. That is incontrovertible fact. Unless he was explicitly shown to NOT do it then it is best to assume he did.

I'd say you're both wrong & right. We have a Schrodinger cat situation. Six degrees separation of quantum mechanics.
  • Options
    I don't like it
    people also say to their coworkers they're going to kill their bosses all the time - how many of them have actually done it?

Yes. In a court of law it would be not guilty. Without proof & or pattern it would get tossed.

• Options
    I Like it

Well, Kor said two things in one statement "I'm going to kill The Albino" and "I'm going to cut his heart out and eat it". We know he did at least one of those two things. Assuming he didn't do the other just because we didn't see it is dumb.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I Like it

Well, Kor said two things in one statement "I'm going to kill The Albino" and "I'm going to cut his heart out and eat it". We know he did at least one of those two things. Assuming he didn't do the other just because we didn't see it is dumb.

Not to mention the fact that a syndicated TV show from 1993 wouldn't have allowed for heart-eating to be broadcast...
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    I don't like it

Incorrect. Law works this way. Has it happened before? (Klingon's eating people's body parts ) No known evidence exists. Do Klingon's exaggerate their stories of glorious battle? (Yes, many times do they talk about improbable occurrences such as slaying Gods) Therefore it is heavily assumptive to believe that a statement like that isn't more than just figurative posturing.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User

Fanon applies to both sides, actually. Saying "it didn't happen", even if it's "if it isn't shown onscreen, it didn't happen" is still a positive claim. You don't know it did happen... and you didn't know it didn't happen. Same deal.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I'm just going to point out I don't personally care the Klingons ate the dead humans. They're not humans and were starving. I also believe it's possible Kor and the others would have eaten the Albinos heart (I do think he's Klingon).

But their presence implies their births. Only 'what's onscreen counts' means you can't just add your own fanon and expect a level playing field. You can draw conclusions like Kor might have eaten the Albinos heart but there's no way of knowing if he would or not. However we see Kor implying at some point Kor must have been born.
    Fanon applies to both sides, actually. Saying "it didn't happen", even if it's "if it isn't shown onscreen, it didn't happen" is still a positive claim. You don't know it did happen... and you didn't know it didn't happen. Same deal.

It's the null hypothesis. It's not so much saying something didn't happen but saying there's no evidence something did happen.

Or at least I'm not claiming Kor not eating the heart means he wouldn't, simply that he didn't.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    add to that, there was no blood on kor's mouth after the fact - and don't even try to tell me he washed it off; klingons are notoriously anti-cleanliness​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    I Like it

Incorrect. Law works this way. Has it happened before? (Klingon's eating people's body parts ) No known evidence exists. Do Klingon's exaggerate their stories of glorious battle? (Yes, many times do they talk about improbable occurrences such as slaying Gods) Therefore it is heavily assumptive to believe that a statement like that isn't more than just figurative posturing.
    Heh, in an actual court case the judge would ask where the Albino's heart is. That's where the case would START!

At any rate, there's a giant hole in your logic, you can't prove it DIDN'T happen. The burden of proof is on the prosecution. In this case, that would be those alleging that Discovery changed whether Klingons engaged in cannibalism.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    which it didn't, because no klingon has been eaten in any episode of discovery to date​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      (...)
    • Did anybody catch what weapons the Discovery had? They were blue but where they pulses or beams?
      (...)

@artan42 I can't really remember (or be bothered to rewatch at the moment) but I am fairly sure the Discovery also uses pulse turrets. This is purely speculation, but I think we'll see a constitution class at some point (maybe the USS Constitution?) entering the battlefield, firing a phaser beam accompanied by the classic "SCREE" saving the day, marking a technological advancement over the other ships (completely unrelated, but isn't it fascinating that the KT somehow never got around developing phaser beams? They are still "stuck" with the pulse turrets). Maybe the Discovery gets a refit in season 2, it would be tradition after all. Or maybe the discovery as a ship doesn't survive season one but the crew gets to serve on a different ship bearing the name season two onwards - or a completely different crew, who knows.

Ironically, that set up with the connie firing phasers is exactly where Axanar went with. Say about Peters what you will and there were plenty of reasons to halt Axanar and sue him, but it is possible the timeline and semi-professional looks were a thorn in CBS' paw all along. I certainly liked those ship designs better, DSC really is odd, the Shenzou doesn't really belong. It looks neither like a classic ENT-era advancement nor like a Kelvin related design.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    I Like it
    angrytarg wrote: »
      (...)
    • Did anybody catch what weapons the Discovery had? They were blue but where they pulses or beams?
      (...)

@artan42 I can't really remember (or be bothered to rewatch at the moment) but I am fairly sure the Discovery also uses pulse turrets. This is purely speculation, but I think we'll see a constitution class at some point (maybe the USS Constitution?) entering the battlefield, firing a phaser beam accompanied by the classic "SCREE" saving the day, marking a technological advancement over the other ships (completely unrelated, but isn't it fascinating that the KT somehow never got around developing phaser beams? They are still "stuck" with the pulse turrets). Maybe the Discovery gets a refit in season 2, it would be tradition after all. Or maybe the discovery as a ship doesn't survive season one but the crew gets to serve on a different ship bearing the name season two onwards - or a completely different crew, who knows.

Ironically, that set up with the connie firing phasers is exactly where Axanar went with. Say about Peters what you will and there were plenty of reasons to halt Axanar and sue him, but it is possible the timeline and semi-professional looks were a thorn in CBS' paw all along. I certainly liked those ship designs better, DSC really is odd, the Shenzou doesn't really belong. It looks neither like a classic ENT-era advancement nor like a Kelvin related design.​​

I don't know if I would consider beam weapons an "advancement." They're just different styles of weapons.

And, I think the Shenzhou would fit in with ENT design elements, had the ship had different nacelles.

It does make me wonder what a Connie would look like in Discovery. How radical of a departure would it be from the 1966 model?
  • Options
    mhall85 wrote: »
    I don't know if I would consider beam weapons an "advancement." They're just different styles of weapons.

And, I think the Shenzhou would fit in with ENT design elements, had the ship had different nacelles.

It does make me wonder what a Connie would look like in Discovery. How radical of a departure would it be from the 1966 model?

They are, continuous beams are more precise than unguided bursts and it is established what those weapons can do rapid firing turrets could never achieve. I'm fairly certain it'll serve to show evolution, I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

The Connie wouldn't look much different. Contrary to other believes, I do not think DSC redesigns anything, TOS aesthetics can still be justified and subtly updated. Also, many props of DSC do specifically foreshadow or reference TOS technology. The only thing really not working for me are the Klingons, but I'm also not asking for some TRIBBLE pulled "explanation" - I loathe ENT's "Augment virus" nonsense and wish people could just accept costume changes. in DSCs case, though, the change is completely unjustified. Those Klingons could easily be generic wrinkly-faced bad guys like every other Star Trek post TNG had (as it's the epitome of creativity, obviously, to have ugly, evil for evil's sake orcs as villians). It's completely unnecessary to even let them be "Klingons". Every explanation why those look different in universe can only be terrible. pig-24.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Yeah, sure, this is hack device powered by drama whereas all other Trek tech is what's known as 'hard science fact' right?
    I made no mention of other tech. You are projecting here. Half the science in Star Trek: Voyager was powered by stupid instead of drama, for instance. Harnessing the power of drama is a new idea to Trek. We could power a large city just based on the Star Trek: Discovery threads on this forum. It's even more potent than JJ-Trek drama.
  • Options
    I Like it
    The Connie wouldn't look much different. Contrary to other believes, I do not think DSC redesigns anything, TOS aesthetics can still be justified and subtly updated. Also, many props of DSC do specifically foreshadow or reference TOS technology.

Agreed. You say "subtle changes," and I think that is the direction they would go (probably something similar to the early concepts of the Enterprise redesign for the 2009 movie). Elitists will probably s**t a brick if anything but the 1966 model shows up. I'm more forgiving on that extreme, LOL, but even I have my limits.

The only thing really not working for me are the Klingons, but I'm also not asking for some **** pulled "explanation" - I loathe ENT's "Augment virus" nonsense and wish people could just accept costume changes. in DSCs case, though, the change is completely unjustified. Those Klingons could easily be generic wrinkly-faced bad guys like every other Star Trek post TNG had (as it's the epitome of creativity, obviously, to have ugly, evil for evil's sake orcs as villians). It's completely unnecessary to even let them be "Klingons". Every explanation why those look different in universe can only be terrible. pig-24.gif​​

Again, I'm more forgiving than most. I think the concept of different skin pigmentations for Klingons is interesting, if not MORE believable. Radical design elements being changed is forgivable, given that the T'Kuvma house/sect is an isolationist, ancient fundamentalist house/sect.

I'm forgiving of not doing flat-headed Klingons, for the reasons you said... it's silly, even though I admit the Enterprise solution to "hang a lantern" on the differences is creative, if nothing else. I do go one step further, in still believing that these Klingons would be more recognizable if they had hair. It's a small change, but makes a big difference.

All of that said, I hate the subtitles, and the thickness of the Klingon prosthetics is hard to ignore. Rolling both of those ideas back a bit would be wise, IMO. I'm still willing to ride out the season, and play the string out... but even I'm willing to admit they may have bitten off more than they could chew, here (Georgiou pun not intended, LOL).
  • Options
    (...)

Again, I'm more forgiving than most. I think the concept of different skin pigmentations for Klingons is interesting, if not MORE believable. Radical design elements being changed is forgivable, given that the T'Kuvma house/sect is an isolationist, ancient fundamentalist house/sect.
    (...)

I find it funny that this came up repeatedly. We saw the heads of the "24 great houses" - they all look this way. It has nothing to do with "outcasts". It also has nothing to do with pigmentation, it's the fact they cannot actually move or talk clearly. This is a pretty silly costume decision, plain and simple pig-2.gif That they basically retcon ENTs Klingons and their ships I don't care too much about.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    I Like it
    (...)

(...)

I find it funny that this came up repeatedly. We saw the heads of the "24 great houses" - they all look this way. It has nothing to do with "outcasts". It also has nothing to do with pigmentation, it's the fact they cannot actually move or talk clearly. This is a pretty silly costume decision, plain and simple pig-2.gif That they basically retcon ENTs Klingons and their ships I don't care too much about.​​

We agree more than you think. :wink:

There is a reason why I mentioned the T'Kuvma house/sect, specifically. I think the changes should have stopped with them.

Extending those changes to all 24 houses, and thus, likely all Klingons? An unnecessary step too far. I've heard it said that Kol is from the House of Kor... even I think he should be more "classic" in his appearance, if this is true.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    if it isn't shown onscreen, it didn't happen​​

Does that mean no one on Star Trek ever takes a dump?
    There was one toilet on the Enterprise - that big chair, in the middle of the bridge...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I don't like it
    Hmm, many ppl people seem to like it, judging by the poll results so far. Here's a little fact, though:

"CBS's knife cares not for STO polls"

Okay, kinda lame, but just trying to lighten the mood. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    I Like it
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Hmm, many ppl people seem to like it, judging by the poll results so far. Here's a little fact, though:

Their knife may not, but their wallet probably does. :tongue:
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I don't like it
    I finally watched it. I didn't see any improvements for me.

CBS All Access is cancelled...one more episode left for them to change my mind about possibly coming back to binge watching it in 6 months. But doubt it will happen.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I don't like it

Highly doubt it. Polls here are just to amuse ourselves. CBS only looks at ratings/subscriptions.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    It's the null hypothesis. It's not so much saying something didn't happen but saying there's no evidence something did happen.

Or at least I'm not claiming Kor not eating the heart means he wouldn't, simply that he didn't.​​
    How do we know he didn't? We've only seen what he had done on-screen, we don't know what happened for the most part off-screen.

If you recognize the null hypothesis, you should understand why saying "he didn't", unless we have on-screen proof that he never done so, is a flawed claim.
  • Options
    I Like it

Yeah, but... there's a corollary here... one opinion isn't particularly important in the grand scheme. The initial numbers suggest that they're laughing all the way to the bank.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

One of the perks of joining the 23rd Century Federation. All bodily waste is taken care of by transporters.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

One of the perks of joining the 23rd Century Federation. All bodily waste is taken care of by transporters.

Just cause you don't see a bathroom don't mean there are none.

You never saw Wally or the Beaver having to go take a dump on tv, either.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg