What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ST Discovery: The Butchers knife cares not for the Lambs cry

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Alcubierre/White drive is a "theoretical" possibility - in the sense that there's a self-consistent theory that describes it. However, it requires a minimum of 700 kilos of exotic matter, which generates a negative energy density; the problem here is that we have no idea what that exotic matter is, much less how to lay hold of hundreds of kilos of the stuff. The only method we have so far for generating negative energy density relies on the Casimir effect - which places two extremely flat metal plates less than one Planck length apart, excluding vacuum fluctuation. Current experiments are attempting to find some warping of the space between those plates, which would verify the real-world applicability of the equations Alcubierre and White worked up (don't want to minimize White's contribution; Alcubierre's original equations required the energy potential of the mass of Jupiter, but White worked out a variation that brought it down to the 700-kilo mark). Thus far, no luck, but it would be such a tiny warping that it might just be evading the laser detector.

On the other hand, it might turn out to be as self-consistent and as wrong as phlogiston theory or the luminiferous aether. We don't know yet.

If you want to make this spore drive into something you might call hard SF, combine panspermia and quantum entanglement - this particular "fungus" (as closely as Terran biology can describe it) is naturally quantum-entangled, so that it's essentially one titanic plant spread across most of a spiral arm. That makes it at least as plausible as transporters...

Oh, BTW, Artan, Patrick was one of those trying to point out how stupid the idea of a crack in an event horizon was. He argued against, not for. Just clearing that up.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    eazzie wrote: »
    I am tending to agree with the theory (as claimed by others) that Discovery is actually the story of Section 31. USS 1031. Black badges. Only a theory but a lot of it does make credible sense.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW8Sq8-hr4

I only think Lorca is S31. Discovery is a bog-standard Starfleet ship crewed by the usual bunch of scientists and explorers. Lorca laments that in the last episode. The black badges I assume are Starfleet Intelligence. I don't recall S31 ever branding themselves. I don't remeber even Marcus and his crew having insignia on.
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Some interesting comments from TrekMovie's NYCC coverage... as they pertain to this episode... do people really have a big problem with site-to-site transporter use?

It's used a bunch in this episode, and I've got to be honest, I could care less about the "controversy." It's a plot device used by later Trek writers, and probably not thought of by the original writers. Further, later Trek has projected back into the TOS-era in many other instances (deflector dishes instead of sensor dishes, for example). They appear in "Trials and Tribble-ations", "In A Mirror, Darkly", and in the fan production Star Trek Continues... there are certain nuances, references, mindsets, and plot devices that are very TNG-era. IMO, if we accept those, then site-to-site transporters are just as usable.

Any complaints about DSC having to limit itself to working like TOS when it should by all rights act more like ENT (which already included far more transporter usage than TOS) are missing the point. TOS didn't limit the transporter use because of any in-universe reason but rather because the effects were expensive (cheaper than a shuttle but far more expensive than running). ENT made the correct decision to be more familiar to TNG era viewers and DSC has followed that.
    mhall85 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    Did anybody catch what weapons the Discovery had? They were blue but where they pulses or beams?

I'm pretty sure they were the same phaser effects that were used on the Shenzhou. IIRC, we only see the attack from the perspective of Discovery's viewscreen....
    I love this series. It's not perfect but it's sure stronger to start than any of the others were. I just hope we'll drop the frantic pace for an episode or two to get to know the characters a bit better.

I agree, but this also might be because of the way this story arc is playing out. None of the character deaths have affected me or moved me. I'm really starting to think that, if they broke up and starched out the two-hour pilot story to play as flashbacks, some of the other characters might've grown on me more.

Still, there's a definite core of characters being developed (I count five so far), and that could lead to bigger stakes later in the season.

Hmm. I hope they weren't pulses. I think beams look far better on bigger ships and it would be odd to go from the Kelvins beams to Discoverys pulses to the Connis beams again.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I don't like it
    * The Spore Drive, not really liking it: it's too much of a Deus Ex Machina device.

* Klingons are cannibals now?! Adding insult to injury.

* I'm growing increasingly annoyed with Burnham. She really hasn't changed one iota. And "I guess you have to get used to a different reputation now" (her roomie, the one with the Bubonic Plague) what a pathetic, forced way to turn the tables in Burnham's favor. Yeah, no.

* And mycelium, yeah, that's a real thing. It is, however, utterly ridiculous to base the Spore Drive off that. Spores have no mycelium, LOL, magically connected themselves thru time and space. Spores are just that: spores.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I don't like it
    jonsills wrote: »
    Alcubierre/White drive is a "theoretical" possibility - in the sense that there's a self-consistent theory that describes it. However, it requires a minimum of 700 kilos of exotic matter, which generates a negative energy density; the problem here is that we have no idea what that exotic matter is, much less how to lay hold of hundreds of kilos of the stuff. The only method we have so far for generating negative energy density relies on the Casimir effect - which places two extremely flat metal plates less than one Planck length apart, excluding vacuum fluctuation. Current experiments are attempting to find some warping of the space between those plates, which would verify the real-world applicability of the equations Alcubierre and White worked up (don't want to minimize White's contribution; Alcubierre's original equations required the energy potential of the mass of Jupiter, but White worked out a variation that brought it down to the 700-kilo mark). Thus far, no luck, but it would be such a tiny warping that it might just be evading the laser detector.

On the other hand, it might turn out to be as self-consistent and as wrong as phlogiston theory or the luminiferous aether. We don't know yet.

If you want to make this spore drive into something you might call hard SF, combine panspermia and quantum entanglement - this particular "fungus" (as closely as Terran biology can describe it) is naturally quantum-entangled, so that it's essentially one titanic plant spread across most of a spiral arm. That makes it at least as plausible as transporters...

Oh, BTW, Artan, Patrick was one of those trying to point out how stupid the idea of a crack in an event horizon was. He argued against, not for. Just clearing that up.

I don't know if I could call it a plant, I appreciate the visual while nice more exclusively just possible matter & photons. Considering we already have technology that makes the need for magical plants obsolete, I'm somewhat appalled at the over simplistic explanation given that Star Trek is typically or should typically appeal to intellectuals.
  • Options
    timv94timv94 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I Like it
    meimeitoo wrote: »

So eating the hearts of their enemies doesn't count as cannibalism?

• Options
    I don't like it
    timv94 wrote: »

So eating the hearts of their enemies doesn't count as cannibalism?

No, it doesn't. That's just a ritual thing. Eating your enemies, however, for nourishment, eew. And so un-Klingon.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    timv94timv94 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I Like it

No, it doesn't. That's just a ritual thing. Eating your enemies, however, for nourishment, eew. And so un-Klingon.

Ritual or no, it's still cannibalism.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    can·ni·bal·ism
    [ˈkanibəlizəm]
    NOUN

the practice of eating the flesh of one's own species:

so no, it isn't cannibalism, because georgiou wasn't a klingon

also, the heart is a muscle, not flesh, so it still wouldn't be cannibalism in those cases either​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    I don't like it
    reyan01 wrote: »
    * The Spore Drive, not really liking it: it's too much of a Deus Ex Machina device.

* I'm growing increasingly annoyed with Burnham. She really hasn't changed one iota. And "I guess you have to get used to a different reputation now" (her roomie, the one with the Bubonic Plague) what a pathetic, forced way to turn the tables in Burnham's favor. Yeah, no.

* And mycelium, yeah, that's a real thing. It is, however, utterly ridiculous to base the Spore Drive off that. Spores have no mycelium, LOL, magically connected themselves thru time and space. Spores are just that: spores.

Whilst I don't disagree per-se, I will add my thoughts here:

The Klingons were literally starving, and it seems that they only ate their enemies. I don't actually have a problem beleiving that Klingons, precariously close to starving to death, would do that.

Whilst I have to confess that Burnham isn't really growing on me, and is fuelling my dislike of the whole 'lead character' thing, I have to say that I give Cadet Tilly a pass. If it had been Lieutenant Stamets saying it, I'd probably have a problem with it - but Tilly is young, impressionable, nervous, cadet who was fast-tracked into her post. She has gone from doing routine work in Engineering to joining a boarding party and being the first witness to Burham 'taming' Ripper. Little wonder that she is developing a little 'hero worship' - but I doubt we'll see the same from the rest of the crew.
    And unless we hear evidence to the contrary, I'm going to say that what she said was voice an opinion, not necessarily fact.

Fair enough on your comments about Tilly.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I Like it

As they did in DS9.
    You may remember that Kor, Koloth and Kang set out to kill the Albino and eat his heat. That wasn't just empty chatter of some aged Klingons that want to feel like real warriors again. They meant it.

And of course, if they didn't have (working) synthesizers aboard to get food, and had no supplies for 6 months, you can bet they'd be cannibals.

Though, echnically, they might not be cannibals in the Discovery instance, since they did not mention eating Klingons, only Georgiou, who is/was human. I don't know about the instance in DS9 - It was never clear to me if the Albino was a Klingon. Since we have an Albino Klingon in Discovery, it could be that he was. (And maybe he's even related to the one in Discovery? That suggests that his path is not one that the Klingons remember fondly. It would fit his conflict with the House of Kor...)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I Like it
    can·ni·bal·ism
    [ˈkanibəlizəm]
    NOUN

also, the heart is a muscle, not flesh, so it still wouldn't be cannibalism in those cases either​​
    Uhh... what do you think "meat" is?

*thinks a were-puppy should know this*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    I Like it
    The creature... is essentially the Renaissance Chekhov's gun for everything to tug at the heart strings at every card carrying member of PETA,
    What? People Eating Tasty Animals has no reason to support or condemn this. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    I don't like it
    Yeah, so, spore drive... ugh.

The saucer sections spinning... You know, that reminds me of the 200th episode of Stargate Sg1 (titled "200"). In one scene, a puppet of General Hammond says of the Stargate something along the lines: It's a circle, it has to spin.
    Generally I hate moving parts on advanced spaceships (yes, that includes Voyager's nacelles, Scimitar's wings, all kinds of separation, ...).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Given the sheer amount of talent, effort, energy and the sizable budget poured into Discovery, the show has YET to even attempt to be Star Trek and thus is only in name at this point. We have been shown a level of technology that eclipses the eras of the original series (which Discovery claims to be a prequel to) and even the Picard era? This disparity could EASILY have been the result of this show clearly being placed as a prequel to the current Chris Pine/Kirk of the Kelvin Timeline; but Paramount rejected such a possibility.

I'm not slamming the series too much as these facets are clear to me, no matter the debate swelling otherwise. However I am only going to give the show until its mid-season break to make an effective case for itself, before I end my CBS All Access app and just move on. The actors are fine, the effects are incredible and Discovery is obviously the most cinematic Trek ever presented on television, but again, thus far it is not Star Trek. Even saying that this is a Federation at war fails to explain the aberrant behavior on display among this crew. It is a visual medium, you have to show us - not tell us?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    A great many physicists wouldn't beg to differ. Because progress is made on projects like the Alcubierre drive, you haven't paid attention to it's development, but I have. It's gone from impossible as a concept, to possible through a mathematical process, the energy is the limiting factor in the equation. The N factor is exotic energy to power it. We already have theoretical concepts of exotic energy, aka dark energy. There is also special equipment being designed to pick up the existence of exotic energy that is making progress in it's infancy that is able to detect it's existence. Special Relativity absolutely says space can be warped. In order to contract and expand space you need negative energy. Quantum mechanics says negative energy exists. That's real science. Warp drives are only science fiction because they don't yet exist, not even tapping into fusion reactors who could facilitate in creation of negative energy. To even compare Mycelial networks to a Warp drive on the scientific level is like comparing a child's fake butterknife to a surgeons scalpel. If you don't know the complexity & or practicality level difference you're arguing out of your education level.

The energy required for such a device being a "limiting factor" is quite the understatement, along with several other significant issues.

You can insult people all you like, it doesn't change the fact that this is fiction and all that is required is an imagination.
    However, val, what sets science fiction apart is that when science is invoked, it's supposed to be at least plausible in terms of the universe as best we can understand it. (Yes, that means some things in TOS have to be retconned, because Science Marches On.) So, warp drives and transporters have no solid theoretical basis - but there are limitations to what they can do, which mean they can't be an ultimate deus ex machina. And Jim Kirk waves around an energy weapon that can do anything from rendering a man unconscious to vaporizing a rock wall, but he's not going to suddenly manifest Force powers (unless a Sufficiently Advanced Alien uses its incomprehensible technology to imitate them).

On the other hand, OS's understanding of Alcubierre-White warp theory, and its current state of development, is... incomplete. And I've already posited a way to make Spore Drive into at least a soft SF concept, without invoking more than a very minimal level of technobabble.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    I Like it
    And I've already posited a way to make Spore Drive into at least a soft SF concept, without invoking more than a very minimal level of technobabble.
    That's the point. All that's required is a bit of imagination.
    Yeah, as a guy once said the difference is that sci-fi attempts to explain why things work, even if the end explanation is impossible in the real world. Which... is to say that the difference is in the use of technobabble.

"Hard" sci-fi simply limits the amount of technobabble.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I don't like it
    A great many physicists wouldn't beg to differ. Because progress is made on projects like the Alcubierre drive, you haven't paid attention to it's development, but I have. It's gone from impossible as a concept, to possible through a mathematical process, the energy is the limiting factor in the equation. The N factor is exotic energy to power it. We already have theoretical concepts of exotic energy, aka dark energy. There is also special equipment being designed to pick up the existence of exotic energy that is making progress in it's infancy that is able to detect it's existence. Special Relativity absolutely says space can be warped. In order to contract and expand space you need negative energy. Quantum mechanics says negative energy exists. That's real science. Warp drives are only science fiction because they don't yet exist, not even tapping into fusion reactors who could facilitate in creation of negative energy. To even compare Mycelial networks to a Warp drive on the scientific level is like comparing a child's fake butterknife to a surgeons scalpel. If you don't know the complexity & or practicality level difference you're arguing out of your education level.

The energy required for such a device being a "limiting factor" is quite the understatement, along with several other significant issues.

You can insult people all you like, it doesn't change the fact that this is fiction and all that is required is an imagination.

Well if imagination was all that was required, then what's keeping Star Trek from flying off the rails into a Lord of the Rings style reality show? If everything is fair game, we should have an episode of killer clowns from space.
  • Options
    I don't like it

However, val, what sets science fiction apart is that when science is invoked, it's supposed to be at least plausible in terms of the universe as best we can understand it. (Yes, that means some things in TOS have to be retconned, because Science Marches On.) So, warp drives and transporters have no solid theoretical basis - but there are limitations to what they can do, which mean they can't be an ultimate deus ex machina. And Jim Kirk waves around an energy weapon that can do anything from rendering a man unconscious to vaporizing a rock wall, but he's not going to suddenly manifest Force powers (unless a Sufficiently Advanced Alien uses its incomprehensible technology to imitate them).

On the other hand, OS's understanding of Alcubierre-White warp theory, and its current state of development, is... incomplete. And I've already posited a way to make Spore Drive into at least a soft SF concept, without invoking more than a very minimal level of technobabble.

But... Quantum entanglement only requires molecules, not anything alive. It's like making a fictional idea of a space ship powered on A B C D E F & G, when in reality we've already discovered you only need A. Spores are going backwards imo.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    The writing in this episode is bad. It's not a tone or theme thing, it's a writing thing. Lots of jarring inconsistencies or logic gaps that need explanation.

Why is it the writers can make a murderous epoh sympathetic in half an episode, yet Burnham is still unlikeable after four full episodes?
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I Like it
    Given the sheer amount of talent, effort, energy and the sizable budget poured into Discovery, the show has YET to even attempt to be Star Trek and thus is only in name at this point. We have been shown a level of technology that eclipses the eras of the original series (which Discovery claims to be a prequel to) and even the Picard era? This disparity could EASILY have been the result of this show clearly being placed as a prequel to the current Chris Pine/Kirk of the Kelvin Timeline; but Paramount rejected such a possibility.

I'm not slamming the series too much as these facets are clear to me, no matter the debate swelling otherwise. However I am only going to give the show until its mid-season break to make an effective case for itself, before I end my CBS All Access app and just move on. The actors are fine, the effects are incredible and Discovery is obviously the most cinematic Trek ever presented on television, but again, thus far it is not Star Trek. Even saying that this is a Federation at war fails to explain the aberrant behavior on display among this crew. It is a visual medium, you have to show us - not tell us?

Do as you feel led, but sorry... calling the show "Trek in name only" is, by definition, a "slam" against the show.

I think Philippa Georgiou was a good example of the classic Starfleet captain who believes in "diplomacy first, and always." I think Cadet Tilly is a good example of a Guinan-like response of friendship to an outcast (Burnham as Ro Laren). I think Burnham's analytical response to the creature, and finding a way to peacefully communicate with the creature, is classic Trek.

Again, think what you want, but I think what you're looking for is there (maybe just not in the quantities you desire, if not as overt as you expected).
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

It's blindingly obvious why. Because ENT is far more advanced that TOS was. If a prequel to TOS had to be less advanced than TOS it would be four guys in a rocket ship. The last time a Star Trek prequel tried to be less advanced than TOS we got those stupid door buzzers on ENT when we have automatic doors now.

Also the Kelvin Timeline is shinier than the Prime version, it's not more advanced, making this a prequel to TKT would do nothing to alleviate that. Also, Paramount gets no say in anything CBS does. CBS owns Star Trek, Paramount licences it out to make the KT films.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I Like it
    So, even though the producers have said that Discovery will pivot in design language, towards a more overt TOS-like style...

I do love that, with the introduction of this dow into Prime canon, it blurs the lines between the two universes, making the attempted fan explanations of WHY things look so different... less necessary.
    Shoot, you can now take the premise of "Parallels" and apply it to the Prime and Kelvin timelines, as it properly should be. Like Data's changing picture, or the subtle differences in the Enterprise-D's bridge or crew, Discovery is now on-par with the Kelvin Timeline.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    can·ni·bal·ism
    [ˈkanibəlizəm]
    NOUN

also, the heart is a muscle, not flesh, so it still wouldn't be cannibalism in those cases either

muscle != flesh

that is all​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    I Like it
    can·ni·bal·ism
    [ˈkanibəlizəm]
    NOUN

also, the heart is a muscle, not flesh, so it still wouldn't be cannibalism in those cases either

muscle != flesh

that is all​​
    Flesh is any of several things, but includes muscle.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    and none of this matters because klingons still don't eat other klingons, and until they're shown ONSCREEN doing so, they aren't cannibals​​

#LegalizeAwoo