test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The miracle worker spec seems pointless

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »
    however for healers, this new spec seems to be absolutely godsend.

This is what strikes me as the main purpose of this spec. Without taunts, this is where this spec will shine (as far as I can read). It's an interesting spec for me (I have always wanted to build a support boat) because of that.

I know many here look at the game's endgame as DPS or nothing (hence the disinterest on the spec), but IMO that's a quick way to get burnt out on the game. It's nice to explore alternative builds. For me, that's how I keep my interest in the game. This spec tree may need some improvements, but it opens up some opportunities for fun builds I think.

Well, like tunebreaker, you are *already* a top DPS-er. So, for you guys trying out tanks may be a fun diversion. To people like me, however, was my point, not trying to maximize your DPS simply means doing even worse.

Also, not sure why some ppl are getting upset in this thread. The new Spec isn't a nerf or anything: if you don't want to slot it, simply don't use it. Me? I'll fill it up anyway (cuz, let's face it, there's not much else to do), but will likely never actually use it (like Commando, which I literally never used).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    To people like me, however, was my point, not trying to maximize your DPS simply means doing even worse.

Doing less DPS doesn't necessarily mean doing worse though. There are many ways to approach ship building in this game. All you need is to set a goal that is adequate for the content you wish to play in. At least that's how I approach it. If I made all my builds "DPS builds", then the game would go boring really quick.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Also, not sure why some ppl are getting upset in this thread. The new Spec isn't a nerf or anything: if you don't want to slot it, simply don't use it.

From what I've read so far (here and other sources), there are people looking forward to it. There's room to have fun with this spec. :smile:
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Commando is helpful when you are on Ground. We should get Primary/Secondary for Space and for Ground. It'd also be helpful to get Ground/Space Active Reputation Powers slots like they did with the Personal Space and Ground Traits.

For Commando you get a knockdown as you pass/run through enemies. It was funny two years ago when you ran by the NPCs around the Dabo Table on Risa that they would get knocked down. Last year they must have changed those NPCs to not be 'enemies'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Why does an engineer with heals a-plenty need even more to be effective? Just like why does a tac build need any spec buffing dps when it can handle content fine without it? Outside of the top end and elite content most spec stuff just isnt required and with this one in particular some people wonder what it's purpose is.

You claim outside elites specializations are not required at all, yet you say that specs need to have some general purpose (besides, you know, *specializing* people). Contradiction much?

I never said that, or that is not what my statements intended to sound like.

I meant that the current end-game for probably most players consists of advanced queues, maybe the odd run of the easier elites like CPE. And the overwhelming majority of advanced stuff can be handled without slotting a spec tree if the team is reasonable and you know the objectives and what to do.
    Plus there's the other issues whereby most people at lvl 60 with all the reps finished and the like don't really need a spec that is aimed at more DPS, or more healing because their ship probably has plenty already. That's even more the case for an engineer not needing any more heals as they have tonnes already, likewise for a tac not really needing any more DPS boosts to be effective.
    So that's why some people see the MW spec as pointless. It seems to be mainly a lot of heals which for the majority of players running advanced queues as endgame are not really going to help them improve. Not when balanced against dropping a spec tree that you get something more interesting out of such as Command for exposes or pilot for some fun speed/maneuverability buffs.

Spec trees shouldn't be generalist in nature, nor should they just be giving more of what we already have access to. They should be offering something you can' get elsewhere, like the flanking bonuses for intel, the rock n' roll stuff from pilot, exposes from command.
    Just giving more heals at this point in the game seems a bit well.....pointless to a lot of people.

Now a tree full of taunts could be interesting, they would have a specific use and they are a rare thing to find in the game right now.
    SulMatuul.png
  • willweedzorwillweedzor Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    That's very funny comment coming from you, especially remembering how doing space elites was one of your favourite pastimes.

Guess I'll have to act super offended and whine in forums when Cryptic releases a new thing enjoyable for you, but what I couldn't care less about. :D

P.S. Pretty sure I don't know any "Nirret"s.

Well maybe if you didn't get "super offended" by a one person dismissing tanks/healers and didn't kept at it for 3 pages and attempted to stay on the topic or better said actually get on the topic to begin with....

That being said there is a reasonable and valid reason to question the spec when it comes to normally available content that is pugable after the season 13. Is there by any chance something you want to say about it, being in a thread dedicated to that topic?

And just because you and Mr."Talking down to a peasants" got triggered by a single comment being dismissive about your thingy doesn't mean am after you stuff dude.

Btw you would be surprised what's on my wishlist from Cryptic, i want the game to be repopulated to the levels back where it was before season 13 and get back the content that is no longer available to us because of that, so i wont have to rely on coming home from work at the right time to catch a premade in order to enjoy my favorite pastime (see what i did here?). But hey, when finally Cryptic does something about the sorry state of the game, feel free to moan and whine about it :)

Anyway being the reasonable adult as you are, perhaps you can see that a very specialized spec tree that 98% of the playerbase wont know how to use nor will see a good reason to do so because of the content available to them.....do i need to continue? Reflecting on the current state of STO, what good is a content that pleases 20 people and alienates 200 due to sheer redundancy for them?
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    That's very funny comment coming from you, especially remembering how doing space elites was one of your favourite pastimes.

Guess I'll have to act super offended and whine in forums when Cryptic releases a new thing enjoyable for you, but what I couldn't care less about. :D

Well maybe if you didn't get "super offended" by a one person dismissing tanks/healers and didn't kept at it for 3 pages and attempted to stay on the topic or better said actually get on the topic to begin with....

That being said there is a reasonable and valid reason to question the spec when it comes to normally available content that is pugable after the season 13. Is there by any chance something you want to say about it, being in a thread dedicated to that topic?

And just because you and Mr."Talking down to a peasants" got triggered by a single comment being dismissive about your thingy doesn't mean am after you stuff dude.

Btw you would be surprised what's on my wishlist from Cryptic, i want the game to be repopulated to the levels back where it was before season 13 and get back the content that is no longer available to us because of that, so i wont have to rely on coming home from work at the right time to catch a premade in order to enjoy my favorite pastime (see what i did here?). But hey, when finally Cryptic does something about the sorry state of the game, feel free to moan and whine about it :)

Anyway being the reasonable adult as you are, perhaps you can see that a very specialized spec tree that 98% of the playerbase wont know how to use nor will see a good reason to do so because of the content available to them.....do i need to continue? Reflecting on the current state of STO, what good is a content that pleases 20 people and alienates 200 due to sheer redundancy for them?

I'll add triggered to the list of things you don't understand or use appropriately. You probably saw it used online and thought, oh man, this'll look amazing when I use it, what a put down!!1!!!!!111!! Good luck there champ.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

I wasn't aware "bashing Gruber and Nirett at every possible instance, cause random and probably petty reasons" counts as being on topic. Or maybe you're willing to admit that you're not really on topic yourself?

And really, this spec tree is not so bad as you're claiming to. Yes, for 98% of the playerbase it probably won't be the optimal choice, but should it be? Should new things constantly bring power creep so forumites can go and whine about how evil DPSers are killing everything too fast?

As Nirett said earlier, it's really ironic how forums constantly yell about "bad DPSers! they should all be nerfed and/or banned!", but when Cryptic finally releases something that's not totally DPS-oriented, forums are filled with "we want DPS oriented stuff!".

And then you wonder why Devs prefer Reddit.
    Reflecting on the current state of STO, what good is a content that pleases 20 people and alienates 200 due to sheer redundancy for them?

How does the spec "alienate" other people though? Do the other specs alienate other people too?

This reminds me of the time when the Temporal spec was first introduced. Many people labelled it as "useless" and won't compete with Intel. The same was with Command. People still found a use for those specs to help their builds.

The spec needs improvement yes, but even as it is, it gives the possibility of added build diversity. I do not think that's a bad thing.
    ltminns wrote: »
    Taunts like this?

YES! :D
    SulMatuul.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User

I wasn't aware "bashing Gruber and Nirett at every possible instance, cause random and probably petty reasons" counts as being on topic. Or maybe you're willing to admit that you're not really on topic yourself?

And really, this spec tree is not so bad as you're claiming to. Yes, for 98% of the playerbase it probably won't be the optimal choice, but should it be? Should new things constantly bring power creep so forumites can go and whine about how evil DPSers are killing everything too fast?

As Nirett said earlier, it's really ironic how forums constantly yell about "bad DPSers! they should all be nerfed and/or banned!", but when Cryptic finally releases something that's not totally DPS-oriented, forums are filled with "we want DPS oriented stuff!".

Yeah I don't get that either. It's like I don't deserve a break and some people want me to create another 'What would you nerf?' thread xD .

Anyway, seeing this whole discussion, I think the OP's question can be easily answered. It may indeed seem useless because people don't know how to use it or simply don't see its purpose because, in their experience, more heals aren't necessary.
    All other sub-discussions about what constitutes 'true' end-game really aren't necessary imo and merely indicate some misunderstanding / different experiences from different sides. I think @lordsteve1 's last post explained that well.

So I think we have our answer. These misunderstandings and different experiences are why it seems pointless. It's funny how you all have contributed to this answer, even when fighting over parts of the answer and tearing apart others seemed the main objective for some, on these last pages :p
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Commando is helpful when you are on Ground. We should get Primary/Secondary for Space and for Ground. It'd also be helpful to get Ground/Space Active Reputation Powers slots like they did with the Personal Space and Ground Traits.

I want this too. And maybe different slots for ground too, so that one click will be enough to switch kit modules, Doffs and weapons from a melee build to something else for example.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • willweedzorwillweedzor Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    mmps1 wrote: »

I'll add triggered to the list of things you don't understand or use appropriately. You probably saw it used online and thought, oh man, this'll look amazing when I use it, what a put down!!1!!!!!111!! Good luck there champ.

k

No, at this point i can't claim to be on topic that's for sure. Look what i raised above with a single sentence.

Now since there is apparently no way back from this i say lets play it to the bitter end.This is your first input in this thread....
    I find it ironical that people in here are going on about how tanks are useless and you need DPS to finish content, yet none of you claiming that (besides *a single* exception) top any of the *real* tanks (not turtles) that are left in game in terms of DPS.

if i didn't know you better i'd say we got an text book example of a elitist A-hole baiting for a fight. And you get one so stop being "oh my gosh stop bashing me" and play the victim somewhere else, you came here heavy and you got what you wanted, isn't that the case?

Never claimed the spec was a bad, not once. What i said is redundant, and since you very own bit about 98% of the playerbase from the very post i'm answering to indirectly hints on the very same, i guess that settled imho.

I never said a thing about DPSers and until now that word never passed my lips/fingers, so that's that.

Anyway does it ever occurred to you how stupid childish those generalizations are? This might be a shocker to you, but perhaps those people complaining about the spec tree not being DPS-enough are actually the DPS-oriented people and not the other way around? Could you please think for a second and weight the possibilities before you slap your generalization over an entire board? Or are people here supposed to change their stance and opinions because you and Nirett might pop in and judge them if they don't conform to your current expectations on the community sentiment?

" Well i guess we should be anti-DPS today because TSC might come pay us a visit"

Is that it?

Just keep in mind Gruber that there is an alternate reality where you never posted that elitist trash bait and none of this ever happened. Just a quick reminder how things like these came to be
    Just keep in mind Gruber that there is an alternate reality where you never posted that elitist trash bait and none of this ever happened. Just a quick reminder how things like these came to be.

So you got "triggered" and had to jump in? There you go, that's what it means.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

k

No, at this point i can't claim to be on topic that's for sure. Look what i raised above with a single sentence.

Now since there is apparently no way back from this i say lets play it to the bitter end.This is your first input in this thread....
    I find it ironical that people in here are going on about how tanks are useless and you need DPS to finish content, yet none of you claiming that (besides *a single* exception) top any of the *real* tanks (not turtles) that are left in game in terms of DPS.

if i didn't know you better i'd say we got an text book example of a elitist A-hole baiting for a fight. And you get one so stop being "oh my gosh stop bashing me" and play the victim somewhere else, you came here heavy and you got what you wanted, isn't that the case?

Never claimed the spec was a bad, not once. What i said is redundant, and since you very own bit about 98% of the playerbase from the very post i'm answering to indirectly hints on the very same, i guess that settled imho.

I never said a thing about DPSers and until now that word never passed my lips/fingers, so that's that.

Anyway does it ever occurred to you how stupid childish those generalizations are? This might be a shocker to you, but perhaps those people complaining about the spec tree not being DPS-enough are actually the DPS-oriented people and not the other way around? Could you please think for a second and weight the possibilities before you slap your generalization over an entire board? Or are people here supposed to change their stance and opinions because you and Nirett might pop in and judge them if they don't conform to your current expectations on the community sentiment?

" Well i guess we should be anti-DPS today because TSC might come pay us a visit"

Is that it?

Just keep in mind Gruber that there is an alternate reality where you never posted that elitist trash bait and none of this ever happened. Just a quick reminder how things like these came to be

Yep, I'm elitist a-hole. Great dismissal there. Especially coming from someone blowing people off in-game because they are "not good enough to be in my elite queues" while flying an *exact* copy of someone elses build, with no original thought from your own, and still managing to do barely only 1/3 of their DPS.

Seems to me you live in an alternate reality yourself though, if you believe i post "elitist trash baits".

But hey, I'm sure your conscience is clean and you've done everything correctly, and I absolutely deserved your initial idiotic and rude answer to me on page 3, as well as subsequent ones, even though my post wasn't really directed to you at all.
    I think maybe you guys should just drop your argument, before it gets this thread locked.
    Clearly several people here disagree and there also seems to be some sort of carry-over from in-game antics playing a part.
    Perhaps best if you leave it unless it is pertinent to the topic?
    SulMatuul.png
    Just shut up already or I'll have to break out the hose to cool people down. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Or a half-thought out attempt to sell more ships. If there's not going to be a T7, then we'll have to get used to new strange seatings to keep sales alive. What next? A Councillor boff set of powers where you can make friends with bad guys instead of blowing them up?

That sounds way more interesting that Miracle Worker overshadowing an already troubled profession.

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Yes, for 98% of the playerbase it probably won't be the optimal choice, but should it be? Should new things constantly bring power creep so forumites can go and whine about how evil DPSers are killing everything too fast?

I'd say willweedzor has a general point, that a spec tree only made for 2% of the playerbase seems like an odd thing to do. Then again, I also still stand by my point that I don't see any reason for anyone to get upset about this new tree. Like I said, if it's not for you, then simply don't use it. No one ever saw me get upset over the Commando tree, did they?! I don't do Ground, so I simply don't use it. Others, like you, think the new may be useful to them. Great! I just honestly don't see why this tree would upset anyone, let alone enrage them.

Actually, I *do* frown a bit on them preferring Reddit over their own official forum. But that's another matter, I suppose.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Nobody stop to consider this might be a tree intended for console players? Game isn't focused just on pc and a playerbase that's been around for a while. Or that this could well be intended more for pvp. Although, many pvpers are far less thrilled about it than the comments posted here it seems. For different reason though.
    Or that this could well be intended more for pvp.

Yeah I've already seen some PvP'ers call it OP. I can imagine it could be.
    What i said is redundant

You can't really say it is redundant for everyone though. I can see this tree as helpful for players who can't afford T6 ships or items that keep them alive for example. It can be easy to forget how hard it is for budget/casual players to survive in even a Red Alert.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Afew things I would not mind seeing added to the MW-spec would be some talents that might affect engineering constructs (like generators, turrets, drones, and such). Even the idea of tuning the talents that boost or give a bonus from healing a target, to either have a chance to proc of constructs that heal a target you summoned would be nice, or if they already have a proc reduce that chance to proc via the constructs. I would need to check as I am not sure just yet completely if a healing or shield gen can crit while restoring shields or health, having a talent that would allow you to do that might be quite interesting an fit the spec.Now finding other things in the other careers that could be affected by such talents would be hard yet interesting to see.
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    It's already easy to keep yourself alive in most situations just by using the proper boff skills and traits. The main sources of death tend to be sudden spikes from being hit by huge crits that nail you for way more than your max hull, and the spec won't help with that.

Something seems wrong with your face? I am a bit concerned.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    See this is the problem when it comes to metas. You get so locked up on this is the only way to go, that you don't bother thinking outside of the box about anything else. Then as these become the normal, it actually puts pressure on the game company to keep up with just that alone.

But then I'm the odd one out here. I've never given any thought to the cardboard cutout meta builds. They're to damn boring, thus they don't interest me. I already have some build ideas that come to mind with this spec. I'll pursue that and leave all arguing to whether or not this spec is good, bad, or useless to those that will likely never bother trying it to begin with. Since it's not considered beneficial to all the cardboard cutout, copy and pasted from the forums and/or reddit to your ship builds.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Gozer got canned because he was a grade-a twat who thought instant death attacks from NPCs and horrible loot systems were a good thing. Removing Borg instadeath torps, replacing the prototype drop system with the reputation system, and adding the doff system were all done over his protests.

Really anyone singing his praises should be recieved extremely skeptically.
    Do you keep adding a pair of apostrophes every time you use the term [balancing]?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I can't wait to be critically healed by one of those player who can't kill Borg probes before they reach the gateway in KSA.
    Tza0PEl.png
This discussion has been closed.