test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What I learned today/this episode:- "Beyond the Nexus" edition

Just a place to post all the fun stuff you learned about the current featured episode.

I'll get this started:

- Reg Barclay is still creating damsel in distress holodeck programs and is possibly still a holoaddict.
I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!

Comments

• Options
    unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    Geordi hasn't upgraded the warp core in his own ship....

Original Warp Core:
    185?cb=20120729215808&path-prefix=en

Newer Warp Core:
    15i4tw7.jpg
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    You do not get to see Challenger's engineering section. You are on the Memphis.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    My theory is any risque holodeck program is now reffered to as a 'Reg Barclay" in stafleet
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »
    It wasn't the Memphis, it was another ship with the name starting with "M", I can't remember the name atm though I can say it wasn't the "Memphis"
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Apparently, Starfleet has begun offering a compact version of the Galaxy class starship to captains. I say this based upon the much smaller dimensions of the interior on display during the mission.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    That LaForge has met us before we have met him. So now we have to go back in time to meet LaForge and help him solve a problem so that we can come back to the future-present, so that in the present-now, when he says good to see you again, it doesn't create a Temporal paradox, because we never went to the past-before.

hmmmm where did I leave that book on Reverse Temporal Mechanics, I think I need a refresher course.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User

*Madison
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    That LaForge has met us before we have met him. So now we have to go back in time to meet LaForge and help him solve a problem so that we can come back to the future-present, so that in the present-now, when he says good to see you again, it doesn't create a Temporal paradox, because we never went to the past-before.

hmmmm where did I leave that book on Reverse Temporal Mechanics, I think I need a refresher course.

Or they could have a mission planned that will be set at an earlier point where we meet Geordi for the first time, like they did with Krog last year.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I learned that it seems the Nexus was a prison created for a extremely powerful being, almost like how the Q imprisoned one being within a shielded world at the galactic center that a being called "The one" in some non-cannon works, or 0 a being supposedly sealed outside of the galaxy's edge by the Q. With how the being seemed to control those that it came in contact with, that it might have been what caused the Nexus to become quite addictive, and that maybe the reason for that was that it knew the Nexus had a limit of how many beings it could contain prior to needing to expel them (and maybe even a point that the Nexus might release the being as well.). Though I could also see that it was the combined mental might of those in the Nexus that kept the being imprisoned, but that the being's power grows over time an so the Nexus needed to be able to add more minds so as to increase it's strength.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User

*Madison

Thank you.

@thunderfoot006 I think they did it 1 for 1 on the TNG sets since everyone gripes how overly huge the current interiors with vaulted ceilings are.
    It does feel a bit small for such a large ship. But again I think they did scale.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    Or they could have a mission planned that will be set at an earlier point where we meet Geordi for the first time, like they did with Krog last year.

Isn't that what I said? :p
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I learned that it seems the Nexus was a prison created for a extremely powerful being, almost like how the Q imprisoned one being within a shielded world at the galactic center that a being called "The one" in some non-cannon works, or 0 a being supposedly sealed outside of the galaxy's edge by the Q. With how the being seemed to control those that it came in contact with, that it might have been what caused the Nexus to become quite addictive, and that maybe the reason for that was that it knew the Nexus had a limit of how many beings it could contain prior to needing to expel them (and maybe even a point that the Nexus might release the being as well.). Though I could also see that it was the combined mental might of those in the Nexus that kept the being imprisoned, but that the being's power grows over time an so the Nexus needed to be able to add more minds so as to increase it's strength.

If this Energy Ribbon is connected to subspace, it would be very difficult to consider how finite the Nexus is, also what if the Nexus itself converts lifeforms into energy from the ones that are "ejected" or not needed in the Nexus but as a form of fuel? If it's to keep a lifeform trapped inside it, it would surely need a way to keep it contained.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options

Isn't that what I said? :p

For you, the player, sure, that's true in a sense. The same sense that would call a later edition of a book that you've already read containing a new chapter in the middle time travel. For your character, it will probably not be time travel, and if it is, it will be time travel for Geordi, too. The only paradox here is from the player's perspective, because planned continuity inserts are a mess.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Because it's of course impossible for the player character to have ever met anyone off-screen, in completely uninteresting circumstances that warrant no further mention? :p
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I learned that it seems the Nexus was a prison created for a extremely powerful being.

"Future Kurland" was imprisoned in the Nexus but that doesn't mean that the Nexus was created by his species or with his incarceration specifically in mind. From mission dialog implication: Kahj'Burr's species appears to have simply made use of it.
    If this Energy Ribbon is connected to subspace, it would be very difficult to consider how finite the Nexus is, also what if the Nexus itself converts lifeforms into energy from the ones that are "ejected" or not needed in the Nexus but as a form of fuel? If it's to keep a lifeform trapped inside it, it would surely need a way to keep it contained.

Given Star Trek: Generations I don't think we need to come up with any additional explanations for how an individual can stay in the Nexus or even how Kahj'Burr's species expected to keep him contained. Unlike Kirk, he didn't have a Picard to pull him out of his perfect reality (who in turn had Guinan's echo to provide clarity and direction.) However, how much did they really know about the Nexus is a good question.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    unotetsu wrote: »

Original Warp Core:

Newer Warp Core:
    15i4tw7.jpg

Original looks nicer
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    banshirbanshir Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    unotetsu wrote: »

Original Warp Core:

Newer Warp Core:
    15i4tw7.jpg

Original looks nicer

As far as I know, that "newer" warp core only appeared once in s7e6 "Phantasms".

phantasms189.jpg

This pic from s7ep10 shows they're back to using the standard core.

inheritance062.jpg
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

I agree and that is basically what they said was what the Nexus/energy ribbon was for to keep this highly psionically powerful being imprisoned/sealed. That is what i mean that the Nexus trapping people is actually it gathering mental energy from those that it picks up an using the energy to contain the being, and that the reason for it being so addictive is a method of keep the containment strong. A good way of explaining it is that when the Nexus picks up people it would be like when a ship shunts power from other systems into their shields or other systems to bolster their strength.

The only issue I see with the idea of the Nexus/energy ribbon using those that it ejects or even takes on as fuel, is that the speed an trajectory of it are not really affected by it. The only way it changes course it seems is thru cosmic changes (like blowing up a star), and when people enter or leave the Nexus/ribbon it does not seem to alter it's speed at all, also not sure it would need much fuel as once an object is set in motion in space it will travel in that direction till acted upon in a different direction.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I learned that it seems the Nexus was a prison created for a extremely powerful being.
    "Future Kurland" was imprisoned in the Nexus but that doesn't mean that the Nexus was created by his species or with his incarceration specifically in mind. From mission dialog implication: Kahj'Burr's species appears to have simply made use of it.
    Given Star Trek: Generations I don't think we need to come up with any additional explanations for how an individual can stay in the Nexus or even how Kahj'Burr's species expected to keep him contained. Unlike Kirk, he didn't have a Picard to pull him out of his perfect reality (who in turn had Guinan's echo to provide clarity and direction.) However, how much did they really know about the Nexus is a good question.
    That's an interesting point. Picard was able to leave the Nexus and go anywhere he wanted with effort of will alone. Why can't Kaj'burr?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    That's an interesting point. Picard was able to leave the Nexus and go anywhere he wanted with effort of will alone. Why can't Kaj'burr?

What if the difference is just telepathic? A telepathic race is more easily seduced by the effects of the Nexus and Khaj'Burr more than one that doesn't have that ability once they are shaken out of the trance they are in?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

For the TNG anniversary - they'll probably have a 'special' mission where we go back in time (via Daniels) and meet Geordi when he's a crewmember on the 1701-D during the original TNG series timeframe. Of course we'll swear him to NEVER TALK ABOUT IT...until we see him again in the present (and his comment was a slip up because he didn't realize WE haven't been through that mission yet.) ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

For the TNG anniversary - they'll probably have a 'special' mission where we go back in time (via Daniels) and meet Geordi when he's a crewmember on the 1701-D during the original TNG series timeframe. Of course we'll swear him to NEVER TALK ABOUT IT...until we see him again in the present (and his comment was a slip up because he didn't realize WE haven't been through that mission yet.) ;)

I'd like it. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Wrong.

I learned that Cryptic can indeed make correctly scaledinteriors.

Not wrong.

Because the dimensions of Ten Forward should be bigger than shown. Which is what my original post was based upon.
    Perhaps if I had stated this, with simple declarative sentences using monosybyllic words, your need to be publicly snarky in a bid to draw attention to yourself by showing how you are a much better Star Trek Fan than I am would be focused on someone else's lapse.

My bad for trying to elicit some humor from the situation. I forgot the InterWebs only tolerates one kind of humor. Schadenfreude.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

"Guinan helped him" might be the easiest explanation. Her echo (for having the original pulled from the Nexus) might have had more perspective on how to leave than an individual who was simply placed in the Nexus. Guinan's also Guinan, so that could be a factor too. So, it's dubious for example whether Kirk would have ever found a way out without Picard|Guinan even if he eventually realized his experiences there weren't real. How would he navigate? Wanting to go somewhere in the Nexus would seem to bring that up as another illusion under normal circumstances. To someone wanting out, the Nexus is a maze created by one's own experiences and desires (though again that may only be a secondary consequence of the Nexus's original purpose, if it ever had one.)

So, Kahj'burr may have only been able to go so far on his own. He then needed other people to pull himself out completely (acting as telepathic points of reference, at least, that he could use to navigate out.)

What I'm wondering though is if gaining this kind of ultimate perspective went both ways (where the original Guinan learned something about the ultimate shape of life, the universe, and everything [sufficient to eventually become a dangerous "creature" in the eyes of a Q, even though El-Aurians as a species haven't been presented that way. See. Soran] in her transitory moments with the Nexus.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    Wrong.

I learned that Cryptic can indeed make correctly scaledinteriors.

Not wrong.

Because the dimensions of Ten Forward should be bigger than shown. Which is what my original post was based upon.
    Perhaps if I had stated this, with simple declarative sentences using monosybyllic words, your need to be publicly snarky in a bid to draw attention to yourself by showing how you are a much better Star Trek Fan than I am would be focused on someone else's lapse.

My bad for trying to elicit some humor from the situation. I forgot the InterWebs only tolerates one kind of humor. Schadenfreude.

It only seems 'compact' compared to all the ginormous interiors of all other ships that were scaled for 'Land of the Giants'.

To me, the sizes (even 10 Forward) were almost dead on from what we see in the series. Kudos (finally) Cryptic for making this right!

But their reasoning for why those original interiors were so large turns out to be correct, and not just an excuse. This is why you're limited to 1 BOff or 1 teammate in this mission, and why the problems pointed out in this thread with players on full teams of 5 getting stuck in the geometry happen on the other screen-accurate interior, the Voyager one. You also see the camera issues that they talked about as justification for the high ceilings, most notably on the transporter pads. I'm glad that we have this to play around in ourselves, but they still need the massive ones for missions that might involve a full team.