test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

We can change our name, respec our skills, but...

Why can't we change our character's race? Almost everything else about them are changeable or allow for customization... but the race you choose you can never change.
I think there we should be able to buy a token to change race OR be able to have an option if we create a new character to be able to migrate everything over from another character... not duplicate.. but do a full migrate. What do people think of thi choice. Note... I get not changing factions... but to another race with in the faction you currently beleong to should be available.

Comments

• Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    they say it's how the game was coded in their database... race gender class is locked. could probably be worked out... but too many man hours to do it.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    ...not complete our thread titles.

Play Alien and you can change your race.
  • Options
    usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    So you think some races are more desirable than others?
  • Options
    vinniedixvinniedix Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    So you think some races are more desirable than others?
    As far as the game is concerned... yes. For instance, a Vulcan has different base traits than a joined Trill. An Andorian character has different traits than a Caitian. A person may have started with one.. but later decided the other is more desireable to them for what ever reason. Of course you can just start a new character... but not every one likes the grind of a hallf dozen characters or more... plus some items are next to impossible to acquire for a character of he/she wasnt around when the event ran which awarded it. And grinding reputation has become a grind for a grind... for whatever reason... lack of new players or whatever... people just don't be doing STFs like they used to.

• Options
    vinniedixvinniedix Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    ...not complete our thread titles.

Play Alien and you can change your race.
    Playing an alien still doesn't grant you the full benefit of running some races... on top of your alotment of personal traits.
  • Options
    tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Can you not...
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • Options
    tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Post incomplete thread titles, please ? :-D
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    they say it's how the game was coded in their database... race gender class is locked. could probably be worked out... but too many man hours to do it.

This is the answer to your question, OP.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    how could you change your race?

Ask Q nicely?
  • Options
    redbaroness#4883 redbaroness Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    dont think its possible due to game constraints as stated above , but what i would love to see is a career change token .
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    Was that even casually possible in the show, outside of Q's pranks?

I remember hybrid offspring, facial surgery to look like a different species, but never species changes that weren't painful/mentally scarring or played for drama and/or horror (Borg and those shadow creatures that nearly turned Geordi).
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I believe Aliens get to pick an extra trait upon creation.

But it is those race specific trait and career differences that is an incentive to try out and create more characters. You only need play to about level 10-20 to figure out if it is one you would like to keep and level to "end game".

Otherwise delete it and start over with a different race and career.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    I don't see why a race change even needs an excuse, it's just a retcon.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    I don't see why a race change even needs an excuse, it's just a retcon.
    Right.

I'd like to see someone come up with an "excuse" for how you casually can change every aspect of your character's body: black, white, short, tall, fat, thin, blonde, redhead, etc...except the pointy ears and bumpy foreheads.

Except if you're Alien, then you can change the ears and foreheads, too. B)
  • Options
    mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    If it's a hard code issue, why not go around it? For instance for X amount of zen, you can buy a special character slot, pick and choose what you want. Once in game, this character is given a special token that automatically levels it to 60 (assuming you're at end game rank already) and also lets you a one time transfer of items equipped and ships and stuff from one character to another.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,805 Arc User
    mailman650 wrote: »
    If it's a hard code issue, why not go around it? For instance for X amount of zen, you can buy a special character slot, pick and choose what you want. Once in game, this character is given a special token that automatically levels it to 60 (assuming you're at end game rank already) and also lets you a one time transfer of items equipped and ships and stuff from one character to another.

Good idea. It would be an interesting feature, and also interesting to Cryptic I guess because they will basically receive money for what is just a transfer of already bought stuff.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    vinniedix wrote: »
    Why can't we change our character's race? Almost everything else about them are changeable or allow for customization... but the race you choose you can never change.
    I think there we should be able to buy a token to change race OR be able to have an option if we create a new character to be able to migrate everything over from another character... not duplicate.. but do a full migrate. What do people think of thi choice. Note... I get not changing factions... but to another race with in the faction you currently beleong to should be available.
    Yes, everything else is customizable, and as there's the rename option, I guess on that level, yes, it's possible that it might be possible from a technical/coding perspective.

But it's not something which I would personally use, because that takes away from the fun of having to create a new character and play again, to try a new race. It doesn't take long to see if one likes the character one is using. I created a science character, didn't like it, so never used them further. Starting over, really isn't such a hardship :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    If Cryptic was interested in allowing Event Ship Account Unlocks, they would have done so already.

If Cryptic was interested in making Tailor changes free, they would have done so already.

Oh, wait....
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User

Sure. There was that time when Geordi's old crew got turned in to invisible aliens. Really, any number of diseases. Go beyond Warp 10. Do you count the Borg?
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Everquest, Everquest 2, SWOTOR, LOTRO, to name a few, sell Max (some one expansion below) Level Tokens. Can cost, in our Terms, a C-Store T5 ship up through a T6 3-Ship Bundle.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »

Sure. There was that time when Geordi's old crew got turned in to invisible aliens. Really, any number of diseases. Go beyond Warp 10. Do you count the Borg?
    And this is what happens when you only read the first sentence of a post that includes more.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    Changing race would be troublesome because... it would also mean some changes in avaiable Traits for that characters
    and if i remember correctly "generic alien" also has additional Trait slot.

So changing race would really bug character Traits (almost sure it would end bugged for months)
    So - no, i don't want to change my characters race. If i would like another race, then i create new toon, maybe on Test Server.
  • Options
    aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User

I remember hybrid offspring, facial surgery to look like a different species, but never species changes that weren't painful/mentally scarring or played for drama and/or horror (Borg and those shadow creatures that nearly turned Geordi).

Gul Dukat was tranformed into a Bajoran even transforming his DNA.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg