test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ec cap or shared bank

which one should I unlock first?
I am not planning on putting any money into the game but I have the time and patience to grind the dil to get zen.
lucky_star_trek_by_primantis-d389ufa.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    EC Cap would be my suggestion. You can use it to buy rarer items off of the Exchange.

Frankly, I have found very few occasions where the Shared Bank came in handy. Most of them were in transferring EC between characters, which would not be helpful to you without the cap.

To be honest, it would be better to just Sub for one month. It'll get you that stuff, plus Bank and Inventory Space, and a Respec for every Rank-Up.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited August 2017
    I would also suggest the EC cap.

Until you get more invested in any alts you make and need to transfer stuff around more easily than through in game mail... Account Shared Bank should probably be on the back burner for now. Only thing you can't transfer to alts through mail honestly is ECs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    EC cap
  • Options
    dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    I'd probably get the EC Cap first. 15 million fills up pretty fast once you get access to the Admiralty system and high mark loot. Characters level pretty quickly in this game, so that'll happen faster than you think. I don't think I got an account bank until my main finished a lot of reputations and needed a way to transfer sponsorship tokens.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    EC cap is very useful if you ever want to buy a lock box or lobi ship for zen instead of playing the keys lottery. Buy keys, sell them on the exchange for EC, buy the ship for EC with no gambling.

I also use the account bank all the time for transferring account bound items between characters since you can't email them (at least on PC). For example I have crafted armor and weapons that I use on a new character until they get their rep and episode reward gear.
  • Options
    christopher082christopher082 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Also, not all people have or want credit cards. I have always found that its too easy to spend yourself into trouble.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Also, not all people have or want credit cards. I have always found that its too easy to spend yourself into trouble.

People in the US can just walk into BestBuy, Target or other brick and mortar stores to buy Arc (Perfect World) gift cards with cash. I am sure the gift cards can be purchased with cash in other countries unless they are considered 3rd world countries, then it could be a problem.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »

To be honest, it would be better to just Sub for one month. It'll get you that stuff, plus Bank and Inventory Space, and a Respec for every Rank-Up.

This really is the best way. It's what? $15 for 1 month? You get all your bank spaces increased, you get the shared bank unlocked, you get respec tokens as you level and you get 500 Zen. You keep the subscription for one month and then cancel, the only thing you don't keep is the EC Credit Cap unlock, but you can buy that using the 500 Zen that you got when you subscribed.

Barring that.. I would agree with most here and say get the EC Cap upgrade first.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User

azrael605 wrote: »
    Why would you even play if your not willing to put money into the game?

They want to have fun but cannot afford to put money in the game. One US dollar = lot's of money for 3rd world countries. Some countries the dollar rate is almost like the zen to dilithium rate in the game.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    EC cap, yes, must have, and i concur with people here that if you can, try to put some real money in the game, its a good game and lots of fun, i dont have a CC, so i use steam, that accepts my local currency, i dont spend a lot, but some ítems here and there.. to keep the lights on, sorta.. :smile:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    While the EC cap is a definate must have at some point, the shared bank is as far I know also without a EC limit...could be wrong though.
    that would mean that you can deposit your EC everytime you are nearing the cap.
    The space is also extremely helpful once you have 3 chracters at max level and at that point grinding for the EC cap is easy.

But a one month sub gives you many benefits that while you level an additional character a subscription is quite handy.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    sarah2774 wrote: »

They want to have fun but cannot afford to put money in the game. One US dollar = lot's of money for 3rd world countries. Some countries the dollar rate is almost like the zen to dilithium rate in the game.

And yet, they can afford a several hundred dollar computer with high speed internet to play the game?!? K. I'm sure that made sense in your head somehow...but in reality...WTF?!?

You don't need expensive/new computer and high speed internet to play star trek online.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    which one should I unlock first?
    I am not planning on putting any money into the game but I have the time and patience to grind the dil to get zen.

shared inventory... or better yet sub for 1 month.

you get free shared inventory... 10 or 20 slots free, even after your sub lapses. Then you can use the 500 zen you have to buy the ec unlock (buy during a sale for max savings). lots of things are bound to account and you cant mail it to yourself.

ec cap is only if you intend to buy/sell ("high value") stuff off the exchange. with the increase in ec limit now you can honestly live without the ec cap for regular free to play game-play.

only reason for ec is to buy lock box ships or duty officers/bridge officers or traits... of those most duty and bridge officers are well under the ec cap.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »

And yet, they can afford a several hundred dollar computer with high speed internet to play the game?!? K. I'm sure that made sense in your head somehow...but in reality...WTF?!?

You don't need expensive/new computer and high speed internet to play star trek online.

And I'm running a 10 year old box.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    EC cap
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    ** Deleted **
    Post edited by jaguarskx on
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    The OP cannot sub to the game.

He or she is playing STO one of the consoles.

That information is from a different thread.

Then unlike the rest, I would get the shared inventory 1st. If it was the past and you were capped at 5mil then it would make sense but now a days, with 15 mil cap you can buy a leech off the exchange and most duty officers and bridge officers. You can farm dil for zen and buy account ships rather than lock box ships.

you will probably get both eventually... but what would suck right now is not being able to transfer account items between your various toons vs grinding out 1 billion ec on 1 toon to buy 1 lock box ship.
  • Options
    tigeraries wrote: »
    If it was the past and you were capped at 5mil then it would make sense but now a days, with 15 mil cap...

I don't know about consoles, but I know the cap on PC was actually 10 mil. Not 5.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    EC Cap like everyone else stated.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    tigeraries wrote: »
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    The OP cannot sub to the game.

He or she is playing STO one of the consoles.

That information is from a different thread.

Then unlike the rest, I would get the shared inventory 1st. If it was the past and you were capped at 5mil then it would make sense but now a days, with 15 mil cap you can buy a leech off the exchange and most duty officers and bridge officers. You can farm dil for zen and buy account ships rather than lock box ships.

you will probably get both eventually... but what would suck right now is not being able to transfer account items between your various toons vs grinding out 1 billion ec on 1 toon to buy 1 lock box ship.

Actually, I mixed up the OP with someone else. Therefore, I do not know if shinku is playing on the PC or console.

Sorry about that.

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    As most others are saying. EC cap. That's what I got. Then I got started on getting the account shared bank. It's very handy for transferring EC and acct-bound stuff between alts.

Then got the lifer as a gift and that opened up a whole new world.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »

Wish I could go Lifer...
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »

Wish I could go Lifer...

I wish you could too. If it was up to me to get one, I would still be F2P myself.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D