test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Finally Back and Excited!

As a bit of history between me and STO... I started out as a beta tester for the game way back in 2009 I believe. I preordered the game and started playing from day one on PC. Before its release I had created an entire crew on paper that included their race, gender, class and back stories. I even went to the trouble of putting all their back story into the game when it launched. I had a blast initially and got to about level 26; Commander. I had my ship, the U.S.S. Subersive, and I had a blast exploring and completing missions. The reason I stopped on PC was because at the time it was pay per month subscription based and I couldn't keep up with all the other games as well.

Fast forward to fall of last year and the game released on PS4. I immediately downloaded it and plunked down $10 in order to recruit my Borg Bridge Officer that I had from the PC days. Sadly, I had to completely restart, but it made sense considering the different platform. This was after the massive updates considering how many years had passed and I was impressed with the updates for the start of the game. What I didn't like was that I couldn't rename my first officer the way I wanted, but at least I could make her look like my old one from the PC version. I ended up taking a break from the PS4 version due to a bug. I was in the middle of a mission where the ghost creatures are in the past and you have to go back to Kirk's era and blow up and asteroid. While I was still on the station and did that portion of it, the game wouldn't allow me to complete that part of the mission. It would just tell me to replay the portion on the station.

I decided to update the game today and try and get passed that mission and sure enough, the bug was fixed. I'm already up to the level 18 and am planning to get far passed where I had gotten on the PC version; hopefully continuing on into other story lines that I've seen release over the years.

I'm really looking forward to this and glad that I'm nearly at Commander level again.

What platform are you guys on?
How long does the main story go for?
Is it possible to switch to a new story before completing the main one?

Thanks for the answers guys and I'll see you out there.

Comments

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Welcome back captain :)

I don't know much about the PS4 version of the game, but on the PC it has definitely evolved. There are many new story lines, a rich diversity with regard to ships, gear and costumes. Although I will admit that I am getting a bit bored with the game, this is only happening after years of daily play (and quite some hours on most days as well).

Again, I don't know what it's like to play on PS4, but on the PC the game is so far developed that you could just play the game for years and without having a life besides it :p
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I have the PC version and didn't start the game until about four years ago, I think. Still, I've had lots of fun with it. I don't even have a PS4 or XBone, or any gaming console (all my games are pc versions).

I hope you enjoy your PS4 version. And try out the PC version again. Your account should still be there.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The game still has it's share of bugs.. but honestly.. I can't name a game that doesn't. Especially an MMO.

Overall, it's always given me far more fun then frustration which is why I have continued to play this game.

Welcome back!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • newnjanewnja Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    Welcome back.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I'm here since beta, and still love this game, so, yeah, some bugs, but still nice
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Welcome back!

I was here since Beta as well and so much has changed. I can only speak for PC but if you were here in the old days this MMO has devolved into a grindfest and become space barbie online from where it once started. As you mentioned, at the beginning it felt like driving a new car and everyone including MR EP, Atari (yeah former owners NOT PWE), community managers and DEVS took pride in their work and owned it. There was a lot of great interaction with the community and you got what you paid for. A robust game with a sub.

Not blaming F2P but IMO, when PWE took ownership they only saw the mighty $$$ and created the chinese lock box system and RNG. They capitalized so much on players emotions and most everyone have been going after the best shinies ever since with a need to see how has the biggest DPS stick in the game.
    The great thing is that there is so much more to do now than when this started. However, most of it is tied to a grindfest if you want to get anything of value.

IMO, if I use the same analogy of driving a new car as it was originally, now looks like driving an old 1962 smelly Dodge normal-2.gif

Goodluck to you and hope PS4 brings you joy and more days of fun as it was in the olden times.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    I've been here since Feb 2013 myself, so it's still fun for me.
  • memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    I have been on ps4 since launch of console. B4 that pc. I don't miss pc. Console is so we'll streamlined. I love it
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Welcome back.

The main storyline lasts well past the level cap. (You'll be working on 'endgame' content, like reputations, long before you finish all the story missions.)

As a relatively 'fresh' player, you'll probably notice encounters starting to get a bit damage sponge-y after level 50(especially the newer content). This is just kind of a by-product of all the power creep over the years. Don't get discouraged.

One final expectation check: Treat the game like a virtual Star Trek amusement park. It's how the game is treated by the companies that own and make it.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    Welcome back!

I was here since Beta as well and so much has changed. I can only speak for PC but if you were here in the old days this MMO has devolved into a grindfest and become space barbie online from where it once started. As you mentioned, at the beginning it felt like driving a new car and everyone including MR EP, Atari (yeah former owners NOT PWE), community managers and DEVS took pride in their work and owned it. There was a lot of great interaction with the community and you got what you paid for. A robust game with a sub.

Not blaming F2P but IMO, when PWE took ownership they only saw the mighty $$$ and created the chinese lock box system and RNG. They capitalized so much on players emotions and most everyone have been going after the best shinies ever since with a need to see how has the biggest DPS stick in the game.
    The great thing is that there is so much more to do now than when this started. However, most of it is tied to a grindfest if you want to get anything of value.

IMO, if I use the same analogy of driving a new car as it was originally, now looks like driving an old 1962 smelly Dodge normal-2.gif

Goodluck to you and hope PS4 brings you joy and more days of fun as it was in the olden times.​​

While I agree with a lot of your points, this game still has the best free to play model of any MMO out there.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    PC player since F2P happened.

But like you, when I heard there was talk of a Star Trek MMO in the works I got super excited, and participated in some of the pre launch events, like "Name a ship Class" etc.

However I never did start playing at launch due to RL issues.. also I let myself be discouraged by some of the bad publicity the game was getting from review sites. (There was a lot of bugs on launch supposedly).

But around 2011-2012 I got the bug to finally ante up for subscriitption. Went down to my local game shop and asked for a copy of Star Trek Online. The friendly girl at the counter happily informed me that it just had went F2P.
    I flipped my lid, raced home, and downloaded it right away. (Along with my new copy of SWTOR).

Long story short, I never did get far with SWTOR because STO hit the right nerve with me right away. Everything from the ships to costumes to skill tree(which reminded me of Diablo 2) to the combat felt so right to me.

I've been a daily player (mostly) since then with over 5000 hrs in game and 13 toons.

I love this game, partly because I really love Trek in general. But also because I think the devs have done some great work on this project.

It's nice to see your enthusiasm. And glad to have you back in game Captain.

Great news is, you've got a lot of story content to go through yet (will keep you busy for some time).

You'll also go in fresh faced for all the Voice Actor story chains (Tuvok, Seven, Yarr, Doctor, Neelix, Harry Kim, Rodek/Kurn, Worf, Daniels, Chekov, Scotty (his son)... amongst other Trek alumni. and I hope you thoroughly enjoy every step of the way.

Glad to have you back onboard @telekill2012

"2nd Star to the right, and straight on till morning."

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI

Good to see you again! Take a seat, there's a replicator over there.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    It is possible to do some content before finishing up one section, but not always. I would ignore the long suffering sourpusses who diss the game, but can't seem to move along (there was at least one foulball remark thrown as soon as you posted). That type of gamer is simpy a fact of life.

Nothing is ever perfect, but this game is quite fun and even if you play several hours each and every day, you have a hell of a lot of stuff to catch up on and experience for the first time. The good news is that this game keeps dropping new content as well.
  • telekill2012telekill2012 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I just applied to join up a fleet for the first time ever. I'm really looking forward to this. I'm not worried about the haters as there are haters for everything on the internet. What I don't understand about the haters is why they continue to participate in the forums of the games they say they dislike. An oddity to say the least.

BTW... anyone know if it's possible to rename the first officer? So far that's my only issue with the game on PS4.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I just applied to join up a fleet for the first time ever. I'm really looking forward to this. I'm not worried about the haters as there are haters for everything on the internet. What I don't understand about the haters is why they continue to participate in the forums of the games they say they dislike. An oddity to say the least.

BTW... anyone know if it's possible to rename the first officer? So far that's my only issue with the game on PS4.

Haters need something to hate...otherwise they'd have nothing.

And welcome back! Be sure to say hi if we run into each other. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

Do you play on PS4?

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

Do you play on PS4?

I'm a PC gal.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

Do you play on PS4?

I'm a PC gal.

Oh well... perhaps some day they will merge the servers for all platforms.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Thank you for returning. And welcome back. I've only been here since Feb 2012. I enjoy this game overall. I'm not blind to its faults. But if I spend all my game focused on what is wrong with STO, I miss the things which I like. There are plenty of people around here who will very quickly point out the problems this game has. It makes them happy to do so, so who am I to complain about how they get their entertainment?

There will probably be someone in here shortly with a complete list of everything which has ever been wrong with this game. I suggest you simply come back into the game and figure for yourself what you like and dislike. Welcome back once more. Lastly, I admit I am a little envious of the fun you are going to have with all the stuff I now find routine.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Awesome, you are back.

I am actually taking a break from STO right now for maybe 2 or 3 months. I only log into both my free to play and LTS accounts to play the featured episode for the weekly reward at the moment.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User

When they revamped the starting episodes/tutorials, they added 'custom' starter boffs that cannot be renamed or dismissed - as they're integrated into the plot lines(especially the romulan one). With that said, your 'first officer' is largely a personal abstraction for you to decide for yourself.

As for the 'haters': complaints are a sign that people care and are invested. I'm not going to get into it further than that - justification is a slippery slope best left for someplace that is NOT this thread.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    If that so-called First Officer was SRO instead of RO you can bet credits to navy beans that there would be considerably less complaints and 'hate'. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Welcome back! \o/
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    I just can't break a heart that's so exited and happy.

So I'll let someone else do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myFUc8hRVIg