test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] "A First's Tale"

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
Now that you know of Torg's mysterious prison, learn about two of his prisoners in our latest fiction blog:

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10546093

Comments

• Options
    cowcookies1cowcookies1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Awesome, I have been waiting for the Son'a or The Face Stretchers for a long time. Love those Son'a battle cruisers, I went out of my way to capture them in Star Trek: Armada
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Man, Cryptic is going way out of their way to make Torg an utterly despicable, unredeemable jerkass on par with B'vat and Molor.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    rhenvar42rhenvar42 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    Man, Cryptic is going way out of their way to make Torg an utterly despicable, unredeemable jerkass on par with B'vat and Molor.

Honestly, he seems worse than B'vat was.

I will say that bringing in the Son'a will be nice. Their battlecruiser is rather impressive in terms of appearance. Hopefully the stats will back that up.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    rhenvar42 wrote: »

Honestly, he seems worse than B'vat was.

I will say that bringing in the Son'a will be nice. Their battlecruiser is rather impressive in terms of appearance. Hopefully the stats will back that up.

Torg was always the "poor man's" B'vat, for all his flaws (which there were many) B'vat seemed to honestly belive in what he preached.

Torg on the other hand seemed to be after only personal power and would do pretty much anything to get it, which is probably why he was so easily dealt with in the KDF storyline, where as B'vat seemed well connected and powerful, Torg came of as an empty uniform, powerful only because of his House and thus forced to use mercs and other assorted minions to be any threat to us.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    This reminds me of the bio I wrote for my Jem'Hadar officer.

They seem to be suggesting a storyline where we deal with Torg and some Son'a. I hope that's the case; the House of Martok never got full vengeance for M'ven and Alexander Rozhenko's deaths, and it would be nice to finally put one between Torg's eyes. Here's hoping for more VA work from Michael Dorn.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Interesting.... A surviving Jem'Hadar from the Dominion War.

Feels all a bit like a "retcon" to me... Of course, protagonists in TV show don't necessarily have perfect knowledge, but in the finale of DS9, they made a point of saying that the retreat of the Jem'Hadar after the surrender of the Founder did mark the first day in *so and so many years* of no Dominion Forces in the Alpha Quadrant. That doesn't really leave room for a Rogue Vorta and his crew running raids against the Klingons...

Though within STO, this is kinda consistent. The True Way alliance with the Alpha Jem'Hadar also only really works with ignoring that part of DS9. (And it doesn't work with the end of the war at all for me... I just can't see a scenario where the Cardassians would be willing to trust any Jem'Hadar, Founders or Vorta after what happened on Cardassia Prime. Certainly not the ones that want to bring Cardassia to its "former glory" - how are you going to make any headway with your plans if everyone sees that you're working with the soldiers that killed your friends and familiy members in cold blood with the express purpose of punishing Cardassians?).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Feels all a bit like a "retcon" to me... Of course, protagonists in TV show don't necessarily have perfect knowledge, but in the finale of DS9, they made a point of saying that the retreat of the Jem'Hadar after the surrender of the Founder did mark the first day in *so and so many years* of no Dominion Forces in the Alpha Quadrant. That doesn't really leave room for a Rogue Vorta and his crew running raids against the Klingons...

Though within STO, this is kinda consistent. The True Way alliance with the Alpha Jem'Hadar also only really works with ignoring that part of DS9. (And it doesn't work with the end of the war at all for me... I just can't see a scenario where the Cardassians would be willing to trust any Jem'Hadar, Founders or Vorta after what happened on Cardassia Prime. Certainly not the ones that want to bring Cardassia to its "former glory" - how are you going to make any headway with your plans if everyone sees that you're working with the soldiers that killed your friends and familiy members in cold blood with the express purpose of punishing Cardassians?).
    Well, if the Feds had known she was behind the attacks then yeah, but if they didn't even know it was a Dominion ship doing it? I'm sure there are Vorta clever enough to modify their ship's weaponry to not leave the standard Dominion particle traces. That and the Dominion clearly understand how to use stealth. So it's conceivable that a rogue Vorta could use a variety of ways to keep from being discovered.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I just can't see a scenario where the Cardassians would be willing to trust any Jem'Hadar, Founders or Vorta after what happened on Cardassia Prime. Certainly not the ones that want to bring Cardassia to its "former glory" - how are you going to make any headway with your plans if everyone sees that you're working with the soldiers that killed your friends and familiy members in cold blood with the express purpose of punishing Cardassians?).

and yet that one cardassian continued pledging his loyalty to the dominion right up until he got shot

not everyone has a functioning mind - even among the cardassians​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    So anyone else wondering if they've closed the Tzenkethi narrative?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    piedpiperx#3525 piedpiperx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Keep it coming, this is great Star trek forever!
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    well we definitely know this jem'hadar isn't the prisoner Torg spoke of in the Cold Dishes story; as he's been a prisoner not for 17 years but 35 years, if he's been around since the end of the dominion war

if Martok isn't the prisoner, i will be very surprised (i really want Martok back as Chancellor of the High Council, Jiffy Pop can stay around to serve the bloodwine, but we need Martok back)
    also, Son'a in STO will be interesting, hope their ships are suitably awesome ^^
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • Options
    geezerpunkgeezerpunk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    I don't think the Tzenkethi are done, I see a story line that combines the story lines. Like Torg has convinced them that the founders are after the Tzenkethi leadership, but need the red crystals to make them immune to the sickness section 31 made.
  • Options
    you mean the non-existent sickness that odo cured at the end of the dominion war?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    geezerpunkgeezerpunk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    Yep. But I bet Section 31 still lets everyone think it is viable. And Torg is using that disinformation to spread his own brand of truth to the Tzenkethi.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I just can't see a scenario where the Cardassians would be willing to trust any Jem'Hadar, Founders or Vorta after what happened on Cardassia Prime. Certainly not the ones that want to bring Cardassia to its "former glory" - how are you going to make any headway with your plans if everyone sees that you're working with the soldiers that killed your friends and familiy members in cold blood with the express purpose of punishing Cardassians?).

and yet that one cardassian continued pledging his loyalty to the dominion right up until he got shot

not everyone has a functioning mind - even among the cardassians​​

I would say that he did that because he believed it was the only way to be safe. He was wrong. Revolting in his position however would have yielded the same results, except more predictably so.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Still loving these stories. :smile:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    gethralkin1gethralkin1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Nice entry into the flavor stories of STO. I love that the weaselly Son'a are coming back, and the Jem'hadar experiments are intriguing. An inhumane extension of the things attempted in DS9 series at one point.

Just a critique concerning the tlhIngan Hol (Klingon language) used in the story:

qablIj HI’ang! Heghlu’meH QaQ jajvam! - "Show me your face! Perhaps today is a good day to die!"

Nuchpu’! Ha’Dibahpu’! - "Cowards! Dogs!"

taHqeq - possibly, "liar/one who cannot be trusted" (the strongest insult of all in Klingon)

Nice use of expressions for Grella ambushing her opponents - and in referring to the treacherous/lecherous Torg, and also Paul made correct use of curled apostrophes (straight ASCII apostrophes are never used).

The second phrase, however, should have been written as "nuchpu’! Ha’DIbaHpu’!"

While the words were spelled with the correct Latinized letters in the second quote, it was technically misspelled.

"H" and "ch" are two distinct alphabetical sounds. "H" and "I" are always capitalized when written in Latinized format, while "ch" and "n" never are.

Capitalization is never used to show beginnings of sentences (that's generally a human thing) in pIqaD, symbolic Klingon char, so it is never used in transliterated Latin script.

Why Paul wrote the first and third Klingon expressions correctly and not the second? Can't know for certainty. Maybe it was a copy paste/thing that went wrong or a transcription error from information being giving from one source to another.
  • Options
    czechmarkczechmark Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2017

There is a strong historical precedant for nations and armies using "the enemy of my enemy is my ally, at least for now." History during the time of empire has nations constantly swapping sides. For instance, Britain fights France with Russia during the Napoleonic wars, then is allied with France against Russia during the Crimean War, then competes with France over African and Asian colonies, then is allied with France during WWI, then both allied and fighting different French governments in WWII... and this with several preceding centuries of mutual attempts from both nations to conquer the other. The Federation played a canonically indispensible role in the defeat of the Dominion invasion force, and without Federation support, the Cardassian resistance would have floundered and the orbital assault on Cardassia might not have happened (although the female Changeling basically threatened to do it eventually for the attempted Obsidian Order-Tal Shiar assault on the Great Link, so who knows if the Founders would have tried exterminating the Cardassians in revenge). I could easily see the Cardassians and Dominion remnants holding the Federation solely responsible for the war's impact while ignoring their own role (a sort of "why did you make me hit you" kind of philosophy). STO, and Star Trek in general, has a long tradition of bad guys turning out to have some sympathetic reasons behind their actions, but inevitably taking those to a horrific and unjustifiable extreme (Noye/Sphere Builders/Temporal Liberation Front, the Iconians, the Cardassians in DS9, the Maqui, the Son'a, Nero/Sela and the Romulans, the Founders, Shinzon and the Remans, B'Vat, Species 8472, the Octanti, various Temporal Cold War factions... a bit of a running theme in the later shows).

Additionally, the Jem'Hadar have always been a kind of biological weapon, as mass-produced super soldiers with an in-built control mechanism, so it is possible that Cardassians could have created their own controlled Jem'Hadar armies (though the ships are another matter - unless the instructions to make those are encoded in Jem'Hadar DNA). I do agree that STO is not terribly consistent on the Jem'Hadar presence ingame, with at least one other in-game changeling (Movan) who like Laas is hostile to the Federation, though said changeling is only mentioned in the optional mission "Standoff." In any event, somehow the New Link acquired the means to make Jem'Hadar without any apparent contact with the Great Link (Since they initially believe the Great Link has been exterminated, and why would the Great Link not try to recover them if they knew of the New Link, given the effort to recover Odo?), and the Cardassian separatists are one of the more likely candidates.
  • Options
    shemrockskishemrockski Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Is Grella supposed to be the Gelka from "Cold dishes"? It seems like she would be but why the name change?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    czechmark wrote: »
    Additionally, the Jem'Hadar have always been a kind of biological weapon, as mass-produced super soldiers with an in-built control mechanism, so it is possible that Cardassians could have created their own controlled Jem'Hadar armies (though the ships are another matter - unless the instructions to make those are encoded in Jem'Hadar DNA). I do agree that STO is not terribly consistent on the Jem'Hadar presence ingame, with at least one other in-game changeling (Movan) who like Laas is hostile to the Federation, though said changeling is only mentioned in the optional mission "Standoff." In any event, somehow the New Link acquired the means to make Jem'Hadar without any apparent contact with the Great Link (Since they initially believe the Great Link has been exterminated, and why would the Great Link not try to recover them if they knew of the New Link, given the effort to recover Odo?), and the Cardassian separatists are one of the more likely candidates.
    It's possible that the Alpha Jem'Hadar were created by people who were deserters at the end of the Dominion war. while not all Vorta are skilled engineers, it is possible that there are a few associated with the True Way who do in fact have the skills required to run a shipyard and/or teach Cardassians how to build Dominion ships, or perhaps functional simulacra. Logically it makes sense for them to use locally sourced materials that might be different than what they normally use. And to cut corners they might do stuff like using Cardassian computers just to avoid the hassle of building Dominion computers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cardassian computers aren't exactly known for being...functional, much like the majority of cardassian technology

just look at dreadnought - it misfired because of the computer used in it and enabled the maquis to capture and reprogram it​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User

I don't recall any line to that effect. They signed the treaty and Odo went back to the Gamma Quadrant, but that was the last we heard of the Dominion.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    qwe456345qwe456345 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    well, seeing as how the next season is probably gonna revolve around Torg, the Son'a, the Ba'ku, and Worf getting revenge, will we see more characters from TNG in STO?
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    It might be hard to get Patrick Stewart because he already has a voice gig, but I bet they could get Brent Spiner to do Patrick's voice.

Oh, and voice Data if the Enterprize J warps into STO.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    ENT-J is in game already hell the Universe-class is avaible to players (though the event that gave the ship is done the ship wasn't taken away from players who got it).

Also with Patrick Steward the problem is probably that he's too expensive for the STO team then that he's doing a VA gig (most voice actor I know of aren't 100% bound to single project and can do more then 1 voice acting gig at once).

Brent Spiner might be too expensive as well, I dunno.