test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

go to ground weapons

nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
is the boolean cannon still the standard? how about the herald staffs? or is it something else?
u7acy6aymfw7.gif
We Need BERETS in the tailor

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I didn't even know they were standard. Useful yes. But THE standard upon which everyone is measured? Not that I know of. Hell... I still run around with my Elite Fleet Split Beam and a TR-116 when I do some SERIOUS ground work. Other than that I TRIBBLE around with Kelvin and Assault Phasers mostly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    auto or split beams... rom rifles are also good, forget which version thou.

for borg, single target the best (borg armor set for built in resequencer)... or physical dmg guns like the shot gun.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I'm quite liking the lukari wrist thing as it can chain back towards you for some flanking damage if you target a further away enemy and it's 2ndry fire does a decent aoe. Similar behaviour to the lobi staff.

Not a boff weapon though as it has an alt fire mode so they'll often just get stuck in a loop going between the two and doing not much else in combat.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Personal favorites:
    -Herald split-beam lance (I prefer this exchange-available lance over the Lobi lance, because Split-Beam, and better rate of fire)
    -Vaadwaur dual pistols ('fanning' the fire key gives a very nice rapid-fire effect, which is good for maps like Kobali Prime, where rate of fire makes a big difference)
    -Zeffy shot gun (Assimilate this!)

I have a Boolean cannon, but not a huge fan of it, because it slows my toon down way too much.
    Post edited by silverlobes#2676 on
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Tos phasers, Zep's shotgun,
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    The de facto standard for all my captains and a lot of my Boffs is the Plasma Wide Beam Rifle. The wide beam can damage up to 5 enemies in the cone of fire. A few of my captains have the Advanced Herald Antiproton Beam Project and one has the Boolean Cannon, they are secondary weapons.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Plasma_Wide_Beam_Rifle

I few Boffs have the Plasma Piercing Beam Rifle which is good for bypassing shields with the secondary fire mode. I will upgrade more of these for my Boffs and likely use them as secondary weapons for a few of my captains as well.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Plasma_Piercing_Beam_Rifle

The only bad thing about these rifles is that they cannot be crafted which means they cannot have the [Run] modifier.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Wide beam plasma rifle is great for groups as you hit up to 5 on the alt fire mode, combine with graviton spike and deadly intent - so buff, then alt fire that does nice damage and piles mob on the floor and does grenade type damage as a bonus, follow on normal shot, then third shot is another alt that damages all again. Ideally your group takes out the target group before dealy intent runs out.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    Dual compression pistols. Omega carbine, and a sword or bat'leth....but I'm old school.
  • Options
    xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    wirts undine herald staff bolean canon
    nexus.jpg

• Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    My weapons inventory when I am not trying something new or goofing around:

-Elite fleet phaser split beam
    -omegs full auto carbine
    -tr116
    -zefrsm shotgun, before i got mt hands on this phaser pulsewave
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Most "serious" ground players are running the Na'kuhl 2-piece of weapon and shield for the Time Slip and the set bonus of 2% CritH and 30% CritD, which means you're stuck with the Assault weapon as you'll likely be using the fleet armor and a Delta kit.

The gun is meh, so choice of main weapon is situational, depending on career and choice of kit modules. On my tac, Boolean all the way. With buffs and Grav Spike, I one-shot vape entire groups of mobs in Elite. Borg etc get the TR or Zef shotgun treatment if needed.

Sci I quite like the Lukari weapon and 2 piece bonus, but I'll swap for a split beam occasionally - Krieger Wave Disruptor Split Beams can be quite nice with the right mods - but again depends on what/who you're fighting I guess and what kit modules you run with.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    koppster wrote: »
    Most "serious" ground players are running the Na'kuhl 2-piece of weapon and shield for the Time Slip and the set bonus of 2% CritH and 30% CritD, which means you're stuck with the Assault weapon as you'll likely be using the fleet armor and a Delta kit.

The gun is meh, so choice of main weapon is situational, depending on career and choice of kit modules. On my tac, Boolean all the way. With buffs and Grav Spike, I one-shot vape entire groups of mobs in Elite. Borg etc get the TR or Zef shotgun treatment if needed.

Sci I quite like the Lukari weapon and 2 piece bonus, but I'll swap for a split beam occasionally - Krieger Wave Disruptor Split Beams can be quite nice with the right mods - but again depends on what/who you're fighting I guess and what kit modules you run with.
    Using Na'kuhl shield and fleet armor here too, it's a very nice combo :)
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    Using the herald staff, its effective and still looks great.
    Tr 116 for whenever it adepts to my staff
    Alts are eaither using nakuhl gun or plasma high dens beam.

Maybe the poking stick (mk I wood version) is the only weapon which is a must ;)
    "Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    xayss wrote: »
    wirts undine herald staff bolean canon

What a minimalistic sum up of the main guns my three lead ground characters use. Nice.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    is the boolean cannon still the standard? how about the herald staffs? or is it something else?

I go with my Boolean Cannon. I just love the big'uns! Plus it's slow cycle gives plenty of time to hit kit powers and etc.
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Hell, my main makes use of the MACO weapons. The battle rifle and the shotgun/grenade launcher. My 23c Captain uses a Lukari compression pistol for general use and the Temporal dual pistols for when it's time to get dangerous.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    TC, the fun of ground is with the right build, any weapon can be 'go to' - for example my toons use all sorts of weird and unusual niche weapons such as the rommy plasma flamethrower, the kentari sludgethower, ferengi whip, tholian rad cannon, pulsewave pistol (pre s13 meleepocalypse) pure melee, the snotgun (biomatter ejection rifle)

One skill I'd advise you to learn is weapon switching - this gives you a lot of amazing opportunities, such as using the rom needle plas rifle long range while running up to the mob, switching and pulsewaving point blank, or allowing you to apply multiple weapon dots (such as the rad cannon and sludgethrower)

Plus, it looks cool and stylish, which is the main point ;)

You could even do as I did - make a Dante (devil may cry) build, dual pistols and sword, pistolling into lunge range then lunging and switching to sword (with graviton spike for 'juggling') and finishing with a guitar emote :grin:

As long as you find a good build you can have a lot of fun groundpounding
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    The competitive wargames pistol is a fun weapon to use, not to mention it looks awesome. Spam 2nd fire till it consumes the 6 charges, activate a few kit modules till it recharges, then spam it again and so on... Add in graviton spike to pull them closer too cuz the fire its a small aoe splash and you can hit multiple enemies at once too.
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    One skill I'd advise you to learn is weapon switching - this gives you a lot of amazing opportunities, such as using the rom needle plas rifle long range while running up to the mob, switching and pulsewaving point blank, or allowing you to apply multiple weapon dots (such as the rad cannon and sludgethrower)
    This is also important for taking advantage of the expose/exploit mechanic - give your boffs weapons with exposing alt-fire, and keep an exploiter for yourself; tapping G will snap your focus to an exposed target and auto-switch to your exploiter. Speaking of which...

28337510285_80268de5c8_z.jpg

Aside from the handy shield-devouring proc, tetryon weapons are one of the few whose models don't change as you upgrade them. Specifically shown are a quartet of 'full-auto' rifles (more correctly 'burst-fire'; contrast the 'piercing beam' rifle, which has a true full-auto attack) and one HDBR. The AoY alt and his crew use a similar mix, albeit in withering-disruptor flavor.
    You could even do as I did - make a Dante (devil may cry) build, dual pistols and sword, pistolling into lunge range then lunging and switching to sword (with graviton spike for 'juggling') and finishing with a guitar emote :grin:
    Now I'll have to try that... and catch some good angles with demorecord.
  • Options
    Naturally, use a Fel'kri mob if you do that...and wear a red trenchcoat on a toon with silver hair:grin:

Yeah, expose/exploit/flanking are important factors to a strong ground game which ties into weapon switching - its why its valuable to know the type of weapons your teamates/boffs are using so you can use a weapon best suited to the battle (for example, if all are using eposing pulsewaves, you use an exploit weapon)
  • Options
    Naturally, use a Fel'kri mob if you do that...and wear a red trenchcoat on a toon with silver hair:grin:
    Fortunately, there is a Foundry mission with those (aside from luck of the draw in Binary Circuit, it's the only way Federation-aligned operators can encounter them). And only the Vaadwaur greatcoat fits the bill for Dante cosplay, due to being colorable and 'open' (in fact, it's pretty close to Dante's PXZ look).

project_x_zone_conceptart_YcFdl.jpg
    Yeah, expose/exploit/flanking are important factors to a strong ground game which ties into weapon switching - its why its valuable to know the type of weapons your teamates/boffs are using so you can use a weapon best suited to the battle (for example, if all are using eposing pulsewaves, you use an exploit weapon)
    Exactly. Sort of related is (at least for 'solo' missions) is fine command of your boffs' abilities, and usage of zone pause (neither of which are really explained well. Simple example of the latter: while defending Kuumarke in 'Mirrors and Smoke', freezing the action right as a group of tangos spawn so you can make sure each boff is engaging a different one.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator

I find myself wanting to see this video. :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    My favorite remains the Adapted MACO Pulsewave with the cluster grenade launcher. I wish we could attach that grenade launcher to any rifle.
  • Options
    hanover2 wrote: »
    My favorite remains the Adapted MACO Pulsewave with the cluster grenade launcher. I wish we could attach that grenade launcher to any rifle.
    Interesting that you bring this up... it's one of the things I put forward for consideration here.
  • Options
    ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    The one weapon which has me rubbing my chin is the Nausicaan Energy Lance. If you look very carefully at it, it looks like someones welded some blades to an AK47....
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    the maco pulsewave is only avail to KDF, correct?
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    the maco pulsewave is only avail to KDF, correct?

no, both faction have both weapons. the Adapted weapon is the other factions normal weapon with the dmg type switched. Adapted honorguard being disruptor. Adapted maco, phaser.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I found a Tetryon sniper rifle with [Dam]x2 a long while back with which, if I have the time, I can clear a mob before they can get to me. If I remember to lock down my BOffs so they don't charge into the mob like a pack of badly trained beagles at a rabbit show. The Overcharged Plasma Rifle you find on that one mission, (got mine around Mk V, and kept out-damaging everything I got after that until I was getting Mk XII drops,) was even more offensive, but upgrading wasn't a thing back then so eventually I tossed it when I got a better freebie.

My BOffs use Pulsewave or melee, and I try to set them so when the targets I'm shooting turn a corner to get to me but instead get shot by four at once.

My main confusion is that, back when, ranges made a difference, especially in damage at a distance. Now I don't even see a range listed for weapons. Does range have any effect any more?
  • Options
    koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Has anyone had any experience with the sci and eng Summer Event kit modules? For instance, Seismic Agitation Field any good? I know Graviton Spike rocks, but know nothing about the others, or if the training manuals this time round are worth using and slotting some of the abilities to our boffs. Sounds like fun, as we now have access to other careers kit modules, via our boffs using them. Equip a ground tac officer with Graviton Spike?
  • Options
    I quite like SAF, and it combos quite well with cold fusion flash and paradox bomb (hold, pull, freeze, knockdown and a ton of damage that ensures a mob group are not escaping unless they get really lucky)

As to equipping tac boffs with grav spike, you could equip a tac boff with two so they fire it often - or equip four tac boffs with grav spike to make an aoe sci captain unstoppable