test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Star Trek in need of a remake?

bartimaeus#4158 bartimaeus Member Posts: 37 Arc User
After the announcement of ST:Discovery, and the trailer, and all the bashing about the Klingons and how "they do not look Klingon" etc, I've been thinking quite a bit, that, Star Trek, might need a remake, as a whole. Or reboot, or overhaul. Or, whatever you want to call it.

Not, totally, mind you. I am not saying to scrap everything and do it from the start. Nor i mean to use temporal events to create a different timeline. My point of view was merely about the design, the aesthetics, the science (and that includes sci-fi pseudoscience too) behind it. Because, frankly, this is the 2017. A person with a handful of bronze makeup and mongolian mustache just doesn't cut it for an extraterrestrial being. Variable color sweaters and short trousers don't constitute uniforms (and neither does everything else worn by any character in Star Trek). Crude, big chunks of metal with multicolored, shiny plastic buttons don't cut it for 22nd, 23rd, 24th or 25th century technology. And generally, they were to great extends to justify and canonize with the lore, what was, at first, a mere lack of budget and tools... and imagination. See, the movies, from WoK and on, tried to do something, and did it good, but still, it could do more. Maybe not "better", but certainly more.

So, would Star Trek need to... let's say, take the 10 best and most representing episodes from TOS era, and the 10-15 of the TNG era, and fully remake them, up to 2017s standards? With modern concepts on what should be "uniform", on how extraterrestrial species should look like, on how space vessels should look like, should operate like, scrapping excuses like "augment virus", "preservers spread dna all over the galaxy" and hybrid species.

Keep in mind, that i do not argue here what would make money for CBS, i am talking about what Star Trek as a lore would need.

Comments

• Options
    admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    Theoretically, for "true" aliens to make sense, we'd need to ditch most, if not all of the non-human humanoid species, which doesn't leave us with very many options. If the show we ran in anything resembling the episode by episode time difference of the existing shows, it would basically be a season of trying to make a warp ship that can go beyond our solar system without exploding, a season or two of the crew finding weird, lifeless planets, insignificant lifeforms, and having engine troubles with their own ship. Then, the final season shows up when they find themselves caught in a war between the Breen and the Tholians, and chances are, one of them will annex the Earth and her colonies with little to no effective resistance.

Safe to say, realistic is boring.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Well considering that aliens are currently science fiction and not science fact it is hard to argue over TV-aliens not looking genuine. At this point it is just a matter of aesthetic preference and budgetary convenience.

As for whether Star Trek needs a total overhaul (dumping everything and starting completely from scratch), what would the point of doing that even be? If you toss out everything to start over then why are you even using the brand at that point? If the writers are confident in their ability to tell their stories then they should build their own worlds instead of tearing down one that has already existed for over fifty years.

I honestly think Star Trek is less in need of an overhaul, but rather needs a production team that has confidence in the brand that they are using. I personally have long gotten the sense that Star Trek's owners don't actually like the franchise and feel embarrassed to be associated with it.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I do not see the "need" for a reboot at all. star Trek is still as current as it can be, since sadly you can see tha the social commentary made in the 60s is still the same that needs to be made today for the most parts. In terms of continuing the journey, no there is absoltely no need to reboot anything. They could have easily recreated and modernized old sets and simply told stories in known parts of canon or simply go past Nemesis and open up the 25th century for stories without butchering everything that was before.

The history of Star Trek as a franchise is full of moronic decisions, but not one of them made it necessary to "reboot" Trek.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bartimaeus#4158 bartimaeus Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Amazing how nobody really got what i meant to say. I was only commenting on the design of the franchise, not the story, the ethics, etc.

I meant reworking the episodes in order to make this:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Look like this:
    kelvin_timeline_bridge__7th_camera_angle__by_salacnar-da7bsfz.jpg

Without making a "new timeline".
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I've often argued for a full reboot, one that mainly focuses on design update and correcting glaring scientific mistakes (correcting TOS's lack of understanding of the size of the universe, as a starting example).

I'd keep the stuff that works (Kirk, Spock, Klingons, a ship named Enterprise, etc), and the heart of the storytelling wouldn't change.

I think it could work, but I'm far more open to it than most fans. IMO, any entertainment franchise has to address this at some point... both DC and Marvel do it (too much, in fact), and Star Wars dealt a significant blow to it's EU after the Disney buyout. The latter example, however, seems to have worked for the better. Trek could serve well to do the same.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCPdmOuzYrM&app=desktop

Doesn'T really need more than this.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Remakes are the work of talentless people in creative positions who conceal their lack of originality by "modernizing" old tales, much in the same way Romeo and Juliette keeps getting modernized. (Well, New York is a good stand-in for Verona, but dancing, finger-snapping 'gang members' are a poor substitute for wealthy rival trading houses.)

Continues tries to pay homage to the original series, and captures the look exceptionally well. But it is not engaged in retelling the same old stories. It isn't rewriting a known story with a modern twist. It is telling original Trek tales in the style of the original series.

If you want a new, more modern look for Trek, please don't waste your time retelling the old stories; we already know them. Instead, let the older versions, the LARPers, and the fan- filmers devoted to them retain their look, and the charm of their original sets and costumes while you create a new look, along with new stories.

I am a huge un-fan of remastering CGI. So far I have not seen a single product improve from this treatment. The updated animations on TOS is far less impressive than the original 'hokey' studio animation with which Trek was aired.

When something is past its time it begins to acquire layers of nostalgia which a remake shatters. Leave the past alone, mistakes, low tech, and all. Romeo And Juliette is doing fine. Instead of yet another remake, why not do what Trek always did best: present new ideas wrapped in interesting tales.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    No.

continuations.....NO REBOOTS.

REBOOT = The fast, easy, cheap, lazy way of repacking something, and many times, it's not as good as the original.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    After the announcement of ST:Discovery, and the trailer, and all the bashing about the Klingons and how "they do not look Klingon" etc, I've been thinking quite a bit, that, Star Trek, might need a remake, as a whole. Or reboot, or overhaul. Or, whatever you want to call it.

I'm gonna stop you there and say...

Remember how people reacted to JJ Abrams' take on Star Trek? EVEN with the bone of "Alternate Reality" given to the fans, which IS a legitimate way to revisit older time periods while modernizing the look and open the door to new stories, the so called "diehard" and "True" fans looked like this:
    angry-mob.jpg

Hell... I know of one person who believes that ANYTHING that Gene Roddenberry did NOT have control over is NOT Star Trek whatsoever, therefor discounting EVERYTHING except for TOS and 2 seasons of TNG. Everything else to him is blasphemy.

While Star Trek would look good with the modern advancements and knowledge we have now... there are those who feel that it MUST, ABSOLUTELY, NO COMPROMISING, DO IT OR I HATE YOU FOREVER, FANGS OUT, has to look like it was made in the 1960s if we go back to the TOS Era in the timeline. Hell... there was rage over the fact that the NX-01 Enterprise from 100 years earlier looked MORE advanced than the NCC-1701 USS Enterprise.

Its that ridiculous.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    62225082.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    This is why I have a problem with the near-deification of Gene Roddenberry.

He was just a man. A flawed man.

But, the general hopeful message of Trek is good and enduring. If it has that, then it's still Trek to me. Even the KT films have it.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

Remember how people reacted to JJ Abrams' take on Star Trek? EVEN with the bone of "Alternate Reality" given to the fans, which IS a legitimate way to revisit older time periods while modernizing the look and open the door to new stories, the so called "diehard" and "True" fans looked like this:
    angry-mob.jpg

Hell... I know of one person who believes that ANYTHING that Gene Roddenberry did NOT have control over is NOT Star Trek whatsoever, therefor discounting EVERYTHING except for TOS and 2 seasons of TNG. Everything else to him is blasphemy.

While Star Trek would look good with the modern advancements and knowledge we have now... there are those who feel that it MUST, ABSOLUTELY, NO COMPROMISING, DO IT OR I HATE YOU FOREVER, FANGS OUT, has to look like it was made in the 1960s if we go back to the TOS Era in the timeline. Hell... there was rage over the fact that the NX-01 Enterprise from 100 years earlier looked MORE advanced than the NCC-1701 USS Enterprise.

Its that ridiculous.

TOS looks more advanced than ENT to me. The NX01 is all greebly and gnarly. Connie looks far more advanced.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017

TOS looks more advanced than ENT to me. The NX01 is all greebly and gnarly. Connie looks far more advanced.

True, however the displays inside looked more advanced than something made in the 1960s.

Enterprise: (Helm)
    latest?cb=20130319020733&path-prefix=en

TOS: (Helm)
    P58_18_Operation_Annihilate.jpg
  • Options
    admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User

True, however the displays inside looked more advanced than something made in the 1960s.

That's Romulans and their computer viruses for you. Forces everybody to roll back to older style computers.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I was surprised that Discovery is supposed to be Prime universe. The lens flare and weird Klingons tell me differently. That and after 3 movies in the new universe, it would seem a bad move since the desired demographics would have 'grown up' with the KT universe at this point.
  • Options
    I was surprised that Discovery is supposed to be Prime universe. The lens flare and weird Klingons tell me differently. That and after 3 movies in the new universe, it would seem a bad move since the desired demographics would have 'grown up' with the KT universe at this point.

The problem is that Star Trek is split between two companies. CBS and Paramount. Paramount has the rights to the movies, while CBS has the rights to Everything from Nemesis back, and anything they come up with like Discovery. CBS can't really do anything with the Kelvin Timeline even if they wanted to because legally that belongs to Paramount.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User

angry-mob.jpg

Its that ridiculous.

Exactly. It's like saying a steam locomotive is more advanced than a Japanese bullet train.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    No.

continuations.....NO REBOOTS.

REBOOT = The fast, easy, cheap, lazy way of repacking something, and many times, it's not as good as the original.

Would love to see a Back to the Future reboot where the first movie goes back to 1990 from the year 2020 and the second movie goes to the year 2050. Maybe we will have flying cars, Mr. Fusion, and usable hoverboards in 2050.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I am kinda in favor of it. If they don't want to advance the storyline anymore for whatever reason (and they clearly don't feel like it currently, as we see with the Kelvin Timeline, ENT and DSC), then maybe rebooting from the start would work better. Whateve rthey feel is holding them down from advancing the storyline would be void ,and they could assemble a new Star Trek history that removes inconsistencies and leaves room for them to keep telling the kind of stories they want to tell.

Post Future Janeway destroying Borg and Bringing Future Tech to the Present doesn't seem a place they want to go ever. Maybe they even don't want to back to children aboard starships.

It seems they think Star Trek work best in an age of exploration where the humans (or Federation) are not the top dogs and still face the unknown.
    admiralnat wrote: »

That's Romulans and their computer viruses for you. Forces everybody to roll back to older style computers.​​

That's exactly what a Cylon wouldn't say. Trust your computers!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @smokebailey said:
    > No.
    >
    >
    > continuations.....NO REBOOTS.
    >
    > REBOOT = The fast, easy, cheap, lazy way of repacking something, and many times, it's not as good as the original.

This, so much. I'd much rather see a series postdating DS9 dealing with the fallout from the Dominion War and Shinzon.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited June 2017

That's just the leap from electronic to duotronic circuitry. Doutronics uses electro-plasma instead of electricity, and so more robust controls were needed. Heavier manual toggles, plasma-powered indicator lamps, more bulky consoles to contain them, etc..

Also, computers of the TOS era began to use some judgement protocols, allowing starship operators more tactical flexibility without inundating the operator with too much extraneous data.(This is a current problem with aircraft controls, which have become so complex a human can no longer actually pilot one without the computer.) By the time of TNG plasma circuitry was old tech, miniaturized and streamlined, and more fully integrated.

If one wishes to see technological advancement one should spend a life in the industrial trades. Where once were control houses filled with people operating and monitoring manufacturing processes, there is now a closet with computer networking devices and a remote operations station controlling dozens of processes.

The new tech looks like a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. The old tech looks like futuristic scientific and technical gear. Where once a series of pipes and instruments with a variety of gauges, dials, and controls monitored the flow of chemicals, a single stainless box filled with electronics and a u-tube now does all that, plus measures density, viscosity, rate and volume of flow, cavitation, bubbling, and many other properties of materials which are only of interest to manufacturers and scientists.

Modernizing is the art of getting rid of what you don't need. The more technologically advanced a thing is, the less complex it becomes to the naked eye. Ergonomics takes over, lines are smoothed, smaller components begin to assume multiple roles with less need of human imput. A steam locomotive looks more complex than a Tesla.

P.S. Can you imagine working day after day in that KT era bridge? All that glare bouncing off your monitors, and glare everywhere you look. I bet the actors had issues with headaches after those shoots! No modern office would tolerate that much glare, and certainly no military would subject people whose job is to maintain focus on computer monitors to so much and such intense glare. It might make a good sci-fi set, but it makes both a lousy bridge and an unpleasant work environment.
  • Options
    Well... the thing I was also pointing out was the TOS console has very little to show it FLIES the ship. I mean what button does what? At least in Enterprise and even a bit in Wrath of Khan and anything with touchscreen interfaces there was something resembling actual controls that also gave feedback for the helmsman to react to. TOS... was just some gummy block light buttons and toggles, but nothing that can really give the helmsman something to react to or clearly plot a course. Just press a couple unmarked buttons.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    In my opinion, no.
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    Well... the thing I was also pointing out was the TOS console has very little to show it FLIES the ship. I mean what button does what? At least in Enterprise and even a bit in Wrath of Khan and anything with touchscreen interfaces there was something resembling actual controls that also gave feedback for the helmsman to react to. TOS... was just some gummy block light buttons and toggles, but nothing that can really give the helmsman something to react to or clearly plot a course. Just press a couple unmarked buttons.
    If someone has been trained to know what each button does, why does it need to be marked? ;) For example, do you look at your keyboard while you're typing or playing the game? ;)

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options

I don't look down at my keyboard when typing. Also, I felt the controls on TOS was able to have customization....one example was Balance of Terror, when Uhura took over Stiles' navigation spot, and she was able to keep a hailing feature on there as well.

I also felt that some of the black surfaces of the bridge panels could have a display in them. And the nav control did have a screen to use, and so on.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

I don't look down at my keyboard when typing. Also, I felt the controls on TOS was able to have customization....one example was Balance of Terror, when Uhura took over Stiles' navigation spot, and she was able to keep a hailing feature on there as well.

I also felt that some of the black surfaces of the bridge panels could have a display in them. And the nav control did have a screen to use, and so on.
    The TNG Technical manual said that consoles were user-customizable, and in the event of software updates, a console could still emulate a previous layout, until the operator was certified on the new system, so it would make sense to think that the consoles on TOS would have the same capacity :)

This discussion has been closed.