test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Balance changes..........TYKENS DRAINING OVER 100 SUB/SEC

adz006adz006 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
I find it quite surprising that this small detail managed to escape the devs attention. How on earth is this balanced in any shape or form if it cant be even be cleared.......

Comments

• Options

Thanks for responding, I can see the dev didn't take any notice of either of our posts, this is very disappointing to say the least........

I hope that they can provide some input into these threads
  • Options
    it should at the very least be cleared by sci team or eng team in my opinion, that should give the opponent a chance to escape. I've seen -130 on some builds, and now with the myriad of traits with extra drain x I'm sure -150 + sec is totally achievable.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    It's fine as it is.

Nerfing should never be done, balance is only important in PvP and no one does PvP in STO, right?

At least that was the conventional wisdom if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    Ha. I got so annoyed with this that I made a build specifically to resist drains. Sacrificed pretty much everything but tac consoles for it and slotted Emergency Power to Engines 3.

No effect, still drained to 0 in all subsystems and it takes ages to get the power back over 0 despite being outside Tyken's range.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Don't think they need to nerf/reduce the effect of the tyken's rift much, compared to altering some abilities to counter it and other drain based builds a bit, ranging from hard counters to soft an even semi-counters. An example of such a change to counter Tyken's would be as follows below:

The change I could see here would be either a base-line change to the boff ability "emite unstable warp bubble", or adding a doff/trait that would cause it to collapse anomalies around the user early at the cost of taking a spike of kinetic damage from each collapsed anomaly. An if it were allowed to be used even with sub-system power at zero would be a nice change, that players would need to play around over a nerf that might fully render an ability largely useless.
  • Options
    nekofury86nekofury86 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Welp... it only matters in PvP, stop doing pvP :p
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Are you playing on advanced or elite difficulty? Before the patch NPC's Tykens Rift did nothing to me, after, it does something. Something I can easy overcome. But, I play on normal and I am well specced and equiped against drain effects. I also use high Aux on my science ships and above avarage on other ships so all my 'special things' do have a fairly serious effect.
  • Options
    Find me in game and Ill will demostrate to you np ☺. The tykens which is thrown out by npcs tickles in comparison,
  • Options
    sdmachinesdmachine Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    Starting to feel like we got a 3/4 rebalance. A lot of stuff got missed. A team of 4 high end science in PVP will still crush anything out there with secondary deflectors DOT, power drain and disables.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    sdmachine wrote: »
    Starting to feel like we got a 3/4 rebalance. A lot of stuff got missed. A team of 4 high end science in PVP will still crush anything out there with secondary deflectors DOT, power drain and disables.
    The real sad thing is PVP is such a minor community and cryptic caved to them. I agree a lot of things were either by intent or mistake given a pass in this nerf round. I think it was due to Sci and Eng crying that Tac was out DPSing them in doing what Tac is meant to do kill things quick. One thing that should have been either severely nerfed or removed are the numerous invunerability gimmicks that make some builds unkillable.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    The real sad thing is PVP is such a minor community and cryptic caved to them.

What's wrong with providing content directed as smaller portions of the communities? Seems like a smart thing to do, IMHO.
  • Options
    veeger#9876 veeger Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    I'm not sure what TR is like in higher difficulties but while levelling (at 45 now) when the Breen drop a TR on you the best strategy I have found is to either take my hands off the mouse and keyboard and wait for the respawn window or just turn STO off for the day and go play ESO or WoW instead because they don't have sudden, strange difficulty spikes that are not consistent with the accompanying content.

Having a single NPC ability deplete your power (or ability to react to such) almost instantly while leveling is excessive. But like Hyperonic Radiation I am getting the impression that the developers here at Cryptic want us to die suddenly and unexpectedly to gimmick NPC abilities. Perhaps that's what makes the game interesting.​​
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Someone throw Science a bone here.

Tractor Beam Repulsors: Nerfed
    Gravity Well: Nerfed
    Feed Back Pulse: Nerfed
    Plasma Embassy Consoles: Nerfed
    Photonic Shockwave: Buffed but still useless
    Tykrens Rift: Nerf's being called for it. (TBF it is over performing)

What's Science in space got going for it since the rebalance other than drain ?.

I'm starting to feel like a few years ago where what's the point of rolling Sci ?, as all their space magic is becoming just a light show.

Tact has all these to buff damage.
    Attack Pattern Alpha
    Go Down Fighting (With Good Day To Die)
    Tactical Fleet
    Fire on My Mark

Science's space magic was a leveler of sorts, but nah, nerf um. Turn Science back to a healer and therefore in a DPS centric game where its kill or be killed make Science obsolete again.

PvP and PvE cannot be truly balanced

maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User

What's Science in space got going for it since the rebalance other than drain ?.

I'm starting to feel like a few years ago where what's the point of rolling Sci ?, as all their space magic is becoming just a light show.

Attack Pattern Alpha
    Tactical Fleet
    Fire on My Mark

Science's space magic was a leveler of sorts, but nah, nerf um. Turn Science back to a healer and therefore in a DPS centric game where its kill or be killed make Science obsolete again.

Are we really back to this argument again, that if Sci cant DPS then they are useless.

Tractor Beam Repulsors: Requires good Placement, and is useful is keeping things away to complete Objectives.
    Gravity Well: Again a well Place GW sucking up the Map, So you tacts can make things go boom
    Feed Back Pulse: Nerfed, well good, should have never had gone over 100% reflected damage
    Plasma Embassy Consoles: Balanced, people were exploited it to do more dps
    Photonic Shockwave: Not useless, GW a group and fly in for a shockwave for an AoE disable, how is that useless
    Tykrens Rift: Not OP, no need for a nerf, and using it as a combo with another player using a Proper GW is amazing

Again this just boils down to 3 things.

1. People Just don't understand what Sci abilities do.
    2. Sci is not a DPS class, if you wanna do DPS, Roll a Tact.
    3. DPS of an ability does define how good or not an ability is

Stop Trying to be a one trick Pony, click one skill to make things go boom. Science requires good placement and awareness of the map. I laugh very time some wannabe Sci player GW the far left of NPC group only to grab a 3rd of the NPCs instead of using the GW in the middle, or the lack knowledge they have and using SCI combos.

"Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    hajmyis wrote: »

Attack Pattern Alpha
    Tactical Fleet
    Fire on My Mark

Are we really back to this argument again, that if Sci cant DPS then they are useless.

Tractor Beam Repulsors: Requires good Placement, and is useful is keeping things away to complete Objectives.
    Gravity Well: Again a well Place GW sucking up the Map, So you tacts can make things go boom
    Feed Back Pulse: Nerfed, well good, should have never had gone over 100% reflected damage
    Photonic Shockwave: Not useless, GW a group and fly in for a shockwave for an AoE disable, how is that useless
    Tykrens Rift: Not OP, no need for a nerf, and using it as a combo with another player using a Proper GW is amazing

Stop Trying to be a one trick Pony, click one skill to make things go boom. Science requires good placement and awareness of the map. I laugh very time some wannabe Sci player GW the far left of NPC group only to grab a 3rd of the NPCs instead of using the GW in the middle, or the lack knowledge they have and using SCI combos.

While I agree that Sci abilities are far from useless/obsolete (just played Gravity Kills for example, TR is very useful to reduce Tzenkethi weapon output which can hit quite hard), in a game where almost every mission boils down to 'kill stuff' it's not surprising that people expect at least some parity between classes with regard to killing potential. Which is measured in DPS of course.

Some of the newer missions like Gravity Kills, or the new Competetive PvE ones may require less of a DPS/killing potential focus for every career, but these are really exceptional cases. In the case of many older missions it's not hard to see why people are arguing against reduced damage for Science abilities as damage is simply needed to complete the objectives there.
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited May 2017

Attack Pattern Alpha
    Tactical Fleet
    Fire on My Mark

So..I fly a EPG drain boat.. With the Change to control amplification, I didnt notice the damagge drop as much for the EPG abilites:

Tractor Beam Repulsors: Nerfed -
    sure but the control amp -25 exotic reistance helps with its damage..
    Gravity Well: Nerfed - Sure but I really only use this tor bring stuff together using a 5 km sphere and AOW the heck outtta it..
    Feed Back Pulse: Nerfed -
    This is the only one I felt was OVER nerfed..As it cant be buffed with exotic or all damage abilities, cant crit (doesn't benefit from PM),No severity, and it got capped at all levels so that only FBP3 can be at 100%.. I think All 3 should have the maximum potential of 100% reflect but remove the 50% shield pen and allow the max to go from 100% to 150% for fbp3...Maybe only giving sci ships (like they did with perception) the option to have teh 100% FBP1 -150% Fbp3 max reflect option.

Plasma Embassy Consoles: Nerfed -
    Meh...
    Photonic Shockwave: Buffed but still useless --
    I kinda like this one

Tykrens Rift: Nerf's being called for it. (TBF it is over performing) --
    So..maybe Introducing another trait like Greedy emitters would work...or simply a 3 sec lock out for sub drain once hazards is applied..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    I agree with most of what you said, except these:

While I agree it was exploited because it can do heavy damage, I think they went overboard, and there is little use for these consoles right now. An exotic, control or drain build is better served by Research Consoles either for their double bonus to Drain or Control, or their damage buff to exotics.
    Tykrens Rift: Not OP, no need for a nerf

Kinda shows your bias here. I know you love your drains (and I admire what people like you or @lucho80 can do with them), but when people are pushing 1000+ DrainX with Tykens able to completely drain subsystems in a single tick, I think we can say that this is overperforming.

In the words of Borticus (in Priority One Podcast), they would want to limit spikes or outliers. This is one of them. In the same way you called several EPG (both Science and Temporal) OP, I think you should maintain your objectivity here.

I'm not a fan of this argument. In fact, a Tac can do a much better Drain build than a Sci, because while they cannot reach the peak Drain a Sci can, with the current Tyken's, it doesn't matter. After that drain, they also have the damage capability to finish off targets swiftly.

Besides, it's much more fun to chase DPS as an underdog Sci. :tongue:
    Stop Trying to be a one trick Pony

Again, not a fan of this. Isn't a dedicated drain build also a one-trick pony in essence due to the amount of specialization and investment needed to make a good one?
  • Options
    daiphdaiph Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    From my last post on the 'drain is insane' post started by mattjonsonva:
    daiph wrote: »
    I've almost literally just (about an hour ago) had a pvp run against someone with 90 active DrainX while I was in the build I outlined previously running ~370 DrainX and Tykens III. He escaped 90% of the time, even when I timed the Tykens to land just after Nukara web mines held him. He wasn't using anything particularly special, just EPtE, batteries and a few other traits to boost his manoeuvrability and power levels when my drains landed.

I am absolutely on board for saying that things need to be looked at, especially when a new system drops, but with a case like that as an example, I don't think it can be said that Tykens is 'too strong' when an emergency power ability and batteries can overcome it with ease.

Yes, adjustments need to be made, but it's perhaps not the mechanics in this instance...

I'm starting to wonder something, like if we have a text issue here, with my thoughts stemming largely from how a DrainX 90 build is actively resisting DrainX 371 Tykens III. I know it's not much, but perhaps it would make more sense if it was worded as 'can drain up to x power per subsystem, with y tick per second, pre resist'. I can totally see a Tykens pulling up to 100 power before a targets resist and still being absolutely fine, balanced and workable. 100 per second is another thing entirely, obviously. So, has anyone else attempted to test this and be certain?
    What everyone buying Zen are really saying while all these bugs are still floating freely:
    qHiCsi6.gif
    Stop new content until quality returns
  • Options
    The real sad thing is PVP is such a minor community and cryptic caved to them. I agree a lot of things were either by intent or mistake given a pass in this nerf round. I think it was due to Sci and Eng crying that Tac was out DPSing them in doing what Tac is meant to do kill things quick. One thing that should have been either severely nerfed or removed are the numerous invunerability gimmicks that make some builds unkillable.

I think maybe you need to look at the pve/pvp and pvp queues, hundreds of new pvp players, but what is going to happen when people start exploiting these abilities, we end up in square one, People get fed up and quit. This game really needed a reboot and this is exactly what it needed, but how is it going to work if they wont even acknowledge the problems, sort 90% of issues but leave 10% so vastly op that its an I win button. This isn't the only power that is completely broken and a new thread will follow
  • Options
    orangeitis wrote: »
    The real sad thing is PVP is such a minor community and cryptic caved to them.

What's wrong with providing content directed as smaller portions of the communities? Seems like a smart thing to do, IMHO.

When it it hurts the vast majority of players it is a bad thing. Rebalence for PVP has had a negative effect on most players Sci got hurt, Tac got hurt all to appease the whining PVP faction. PVP needs to be spun off onto it's on server with no influence on PVE or changed to all premade and pre stationed ships so it is a level playing field not influnced by builds but rather a true contest of player skills not a contest of wallets or builds.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    adz006 wrote: »

I think maybe you need to look at the pve/pvp and pvp queues, hundreds of new pvp players, but what is going to happen when people start exploiting these abilities, we end up in square one, People get fed up and quit. This game really needed a reboot and this is exactly what it needed, but how is it going to work if they wont even acknowledge the problems, sort 90% of issues but leave 10% so vastly op that its an I win button. This isn't the only power that is completely broken and a new thread will follow
    Want to know why those have people playing? It has nothing to do with the revamps but everything to do with getting the rep points PERIOD. Cryptic has basicly forced you into PVP to get the rep filled no matter if you are a pvper or not. Once people get the points those quqes will die off. Every time a new rep is brought in the quques that grant those points are busy as all hell then after a few weeks they turn into ghost towns. If you haven't noticed that you must be new to STO.
    Post edited by ssbn655 on
  • Options
    adz006 wrote: »

Want to know why those have people playing? It has nothing to do with the revamps but everything to do with getting the rep points PERIOD. Cryptic has basicly forced you into PVP to get the rep filled no matter if youa re a pvper or not. Once people get the points those quqes will die off. Every time a new rep is brought in the quques that rgant those points are busy as all hell then after a few weeks they turn into ghost towns. If you haven't noticed that you must be new to STO.

I like objectivity, not so much interested in someone's opinion unless you have hard numbers to prove me otherwise. Also the single and duo queues have been 10x busier than normal and those don't give you rep marks.

Also making a good build is part of the fun for many pvpers so I disagree here too, but respect your opinion.
  • Options

Attack Pattern Alpha
    Tactical Fleet
    Fire on My Mark

Sci is good for debuffs and it still got a dmg buff in the new meta. PvP is healthy for a game like this and it needs it. Also don't see the issue, why don't you just roll a tac if you want to do dmg ?
  • Options

Attack Pattern Alpha
    Tactical Fleet
    Fire on My Mark

Anything that cant be cleared by abilities is op, it doesn't take any skill to use it with lukari t4 and watch the players subs fail one by one, at least what they can do is make it clearable or have a cap vs players, then at least attacking player needs to use other skills and abilities to try and hold down opponent. Make it a skill that takes skill to use, not I win buttons like entropic, but the shield re-frequencer issue is far grater than this even
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    I haven't noticed OP Tykens being an issue in competitive PVE PUGs, any hardcore pvper should stomp most puggers anyway.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Edited Nvm
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    There's nothing most escorts can do against tykens except ride it out. Even PvPers will be sitting ducks.