test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this game dead? Looking for an ACTIVE fleet?

I just came back from being away for a year and a half. I logged in and while i see lots and lots of people running around it feels like nobody does anything together anymore.. I've joined 7 fleets in a week all of them touting lvl 56 fleets and over 400 members.. but i never see more than 4 online! I don't get it do people not team up in this game anymore or am i just getting the short end of the stick when it comes to fleet invites?

If your out there... oh fleet of my dreams.. i'm looking for a Fed fleet that has ya know active members not 395 dead ones.. prefer one that uses discord but i'll live with teamspeak.. I'm looking for a fleet that does stf's together events missions you know play the game in a group setting... if you think your fleet fits the bill please msg me and i'll be happy to join.. and so would my friend.

msg me @vor1022

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,062 Community Moderator
    Game's not dead, we're just in a bit of a rut caused by event fatigue and we haven't gotten the next story mission yet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    The whole problem of the STF's is that

1) Normal content is not interesting enough to team up for
    2) Those who can play advanced content have little reason to team up for it - you can just PUG it instead

There is no good average content that is, at the same time, challenging enough to need a pre-made team.

And then there's of course the whole problem of not having to work together in most missions.

STO is a single player game. You can play with others, but there's no reason to do it and therefore it's easier/faster/more convenient not to do it.
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    The social aspects most folks look for in fleets is typically handled in the game's public and private in-game channels. The faction and character limitations of the fleet/dramada system, along with varying player needs, really crippled its ability to function as an effective social hub. Most of the larger groups have opted for private and/or public channels (NoP Public Service, DOFFJOBS, XTERN1TY, etc) where the actual fleet you're a member of is far less important than what you can contribute to the community.

This type of system emerged as a necessity as more players found the need to create their own person fleets, or simply had different-faction characters, and could no longer use the main fleet's [Fleet] channel.

There are a whole lot of toxic fleets out there, so be cautious with that fleet hopping. It is not uncommon to run into "fleet leaders" with disturbing power and control issues.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,528 Arc User
    - STO is a single player game
    - Space Barbie is the real endgame
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Game's not dead, we're just in a bit of a rut caused by event fatigue and we haven't gotten the next story mission yet.

STO is event driven. I bet you can't find a 2 week period in the last 2yrs that hadn't had some sort of limited time event going on. Cryptic is addicted to events.

Look under the Fleet page, alot of fleets put an 'ad' there looking for new people.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Games not dead, but i'd say the social aspect of it within fleets/armada's for the most part is.

A lot of people these days tend to see/use fleets as vendors to access fleet gear, they aren't interested in getting to know whose who in the fleet they only want access to the holdings.

To much of the game can be soloed or simply joining a public queue with no need for tactics or co-op to get those pink rocks or reputation marks.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Games not dead, but i'd say the social aspect of it within fleets/armada's for the most part is.

A lot of people these days tend to see/use fleets as vendors to access fleet gear, they aren't interested in getting to know whose who in the fleet they only want access to the holdings.

To much of the game can be soloed or simply joining a public queue with no need for tactics or co-op to get those pink rocks or reputation marks.

Folks who join existing fleets often run into bizarre and sometimes exploitative demands from "fleet leaders". I can certainly understand the trend we've been seeing where folks are treating fleets merely as vendor provision mills, and carrying out their social activities in more level-headed spaces.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    coolbatman wrote: »
    i just wish i could get 4 ppl together so i could make my own fleet,but i think the servers will go dark before that happens..............

Starting a new fleet is a very very bad idea, at this point. Join a fleet that has stuff. You are millions of [item name here] from having any of the fleet places complete and access to what they offer. So unless you just want to have a fleet in name only, sure go for it. But if you want any actual items that fleets offer, you are months/years away from them.
  • Options
    sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Folks who join existing fleets often run into bizarre and sometimes exploitative demands from "fleet leaders". I can certainly understand the trend we've been seeing where folks are treating fleets merely as vendor provision mills, and carrying out their social activities in more level-headed spaces.

It's been a long time maybe 7-8 years ago, I remember this guild in WoW, 2 of their rules in that guild was all players had to put like 2000 platinum a week into the guild bank and all random drops blue or pink and higher, (can't remember that color) most go into the guild bank first, so the higher-up people can check if they needed it before a lower level guildie. (wish I could remember the guild name)

"Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,528 Arc User
    coolbatman wrote: »
    i just wish i could get 4 ppl together so i could make my own fleet,but i think the servers will go dark before that happens..............

Starting a new fleet is a very very bad idea, at this point. Join a fleet that has stuff. You are millions of [item name here] from having any of the fleet places complete and access to what they offer. So unless you just want to have a fleet in name only, sure go for it. But if you want any actual items that fleets offer, you are months/years away from them.

Exactly. There are multi-month time gates to grind the XP for each of the holdings, and each one takes millions of dil and thousands of white doffs.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,006 Arc User
    There are a whole lot of toxic fleets out there, so be cautious with that fleet hopping. It is not uncommon to run into "fleet leaders" with disturbing power and control issues.
    Folks who join existing fleets often run into bizarre and sometimes exploitative demands from "fleet leaders".
    Sounds pretty scary. This must be the reason a lot of fleets aren't as active as they used to be.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    One of the biggest problem is that there are just too many fleets.

Everyone that starts playing STO wants to start their own fleet, there are probably more fleets then players at this point. For some reason, no one is happy to join a fleet, everyone wants their own.

Large fleets are all but dead in STO. The game itself is still alive, just as others have said it's in a lull at the current time.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    I've been in the same fleet for the last ... 4 years I guess. So I don't know about other fleets, but judging from their names I doubt it's true that most are toxic.

There's a lot of RP-fleets out there for whom building holdings seems of secondary concern. Fleets like those with 'expeditionary force', 'temporal' and 'agency', 'MACO' or names of nebulas are likely not about being all-awesome or the places where you would find people who use fleets for 'economically' advancing their own characters.
  • Options
    There's maybe a handful of controversial fleets. And even that's something I assume based on the behaviour of one or a handful of individuals of those fleets.

I guess it all depends on what you're paying attention to.
    shazia9191 wrote: »
    Everyone that starts playing STO wants to start their own fleet, there are probably more fleets then players at this point. For some reason, no one is happy to join a fleet, everyone wants their own.

That's not surprising in the least; in everyone's Trek fantasy, THEY are the Captain, the Admiral, the greatest warrior ever, etc. Just read the bios of the RPers that hang out on DS9 and you'll find a room full of the most accomplished, intelligent, courageous folks who can't eek out a single correct sentence if their lives depended on it.

Star Trek is built on hierarchy, unlike many other MMOs, and everyone needs to be at the top.

Which also holds for this. Those kinds of bios are probably the ones you are most likely to remember. I've seen maybe one or two bios of people who described their character as being the most awesome being in the universe so to say. (I'm not counting the ones who describe their characters as being genetically modified, an android, or of some very advanced made-up species - that's just wanting to have a special background for your character, it doesn't mean their character is the hero of the Galaxy)

On the other hand, I've seen many more humble character descriptions.
  • Options
    lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    As others have said, STO is a single player game with some MMORPG additions. Yes you can chat to other players but for the most part there's little point, and if you say the wrong thing in chat you can get banned so it's safer just deleting the chat tab.

I'm in what I'd consider a pretty good fleet, and some players are active, but there's very little conversation from what I can observe. Of course being a different timezone it could just be that I miss when others are mostly on. The fleet teamwork is mainly about dumping resources into fleet projects to unlock stuff, and since pretty much everything that can be unlocked has, simply dumping for the fleet credits. Does mean that it's easy to buy fleet stuff though. :)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,062 Community Moderator
    sniper1187 wrote: »

It's been a long time maybe 7-8 years ago, I remember this guild in WoW, 2 of their rules in that guild was all players had to put like 2000 platinum a week into the guild bank and all random drops blue or pink and higher, (can't remember that color) most go into the guild bank first, so the higher-up people can check if they needed it before a lower level guildie. (wish I could remember the guild name)

WTF! That's... just wrong. That's basically cutting into a player's ability to not only make money in game, but their ability to fight as well. "Oh man I could use this sword, as it is WAY better than the one I have now, but the rules say I have to let the boss inspect it first."

Sorry... but if I get back into WoW and someone tried to pull that TRIBBLE on me I'd see myself out. Hell... in ANY MMO I'd do that, as I'd feel like I'm being taken advantage of at the expense of my ability to play the game.
    STO is event driven. I bet you can't find a 2 week period in the last 2yrs that hadn't had some sort of limited time event going on. Cryptic is addicted to events.

Maybe, but consider the time of the year. Usually around December we get into the event swarm.
    • Winter Event
    • Anniversary Event
    • Crystalline/Mirror/Breach Event

All three fall in the same general period. After that we get a little bit of a breather. Nothing major scheduled as far as I know other than the usual weekend things.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited March 2017

That's pretty brutal, but not surprising.

A lot of fleets have weird "rules of conduct", some going so far as to demand you think certain ways about things. They periodically send out long mails outlining how you are to live your life. Very cult-like stuff.

I was a member of more than one fleet that punished members who did not use character names that contained the fleet's initials and the use of bracketed initials in your names elsewhere on the internet.

One fleet even demanded I swear an oath of loyalty, that I could not join any other fleet while I was still a member of theirs.

A lot of fleets have what they call "contribution requirements", that are used to trick expendable randos into paying their fleets' dilithium bills.

Some fleets insist members must always address higher ranking members as "sir" as part of their rules. These fleets almost always have wacky "insubordination" rules and sometimes even hold weird sessions of Captain Judge Judy during mandatory weekly fleet meetings. Creepy stuff, there.

All-in-all, I can see why people turn off chat.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    And that is why my fleet doesn't do that. You want access to our fleet store as a fleet member? Just be social. Talk to us. Couple days or so of being social, bump up from Recruit to full Member.
  • Options
    And that is why my fleet doesn't do that. You want access to our fleet store as a fleet member? Just be social. Talk to us. Couple days or so of being social, bump up from Recruit to full Member.

Our fleet only has one rule that might be considered 'harsh'. You have to donate stuff worth 100k of fleet credits before you can buy stuff from the store. Worst part of it is; unless you get lucky and get some FMs in, you might be stuck donating the low value stuff to get there. People love donating the FMs for some reason... :D
  • Options

That's pretty brutal, but not surprising.

A lot of fleets have weird "rules of conduct", some going so far as to demand you think certain ways about things. They periodically send out long mails outlining how you are to live your life. Very cult-like stuff.

I was a member of more than one fleet that punished members who did not use character names that contained the fleet's initials and the use of bracketed initials in your names elsewhere on the internet.

One fleet even demanded I swear an oath of loyalty, that I could not join any other fleet while I was still a member of theirs.

A lot of fleets have what they call "contribution requirements", that are used to trick expendable randos into paying their fleets' dilithium bills.

Some fleets insist members must always address higher ranking members as "sir" as part of their rules. These fleets almost always have wacky "insubordination" rules and sometimes even hold weird sessions of Captain Judge Judy during mandatory weekly fleet meetings. Creepy stuff, there.

All-in-all, I can see why people turn off chat.

Most of this is indeed pretty weird. Except for the contribution requirements. We used to have, as a rule, that you needed to donate an x amount before you get access to the stores. After that, alts automatically gain access as well. Just to prevent people from joining, buying something and immediately leaving again.

I think it's reasonable to expect some sort of contribution from your members if they want to benefit from the combined efforts of the fleet, those provisions are not free after all and have to be built up by others otherwise.

Nowadays we've dropped that rule as it's hard to determine whether people actually contributed to the provision projects or just filled the Fleet mark surplus project - and we've got plenty of provisions nowadays. So we instantly promote to the rank where people get access to the stores - but there are good reasons for smaller or not so rich fleets not to provide access to the stores automatically.
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    All I can say is that my experience of Fleet play is nothing like some of the horror stories mentioned here.

My partner and I joined this particular fleet about 6 months ago, were made entirely welcome literally from the minute we joined the fleet chat and have been treated the same ever since. We've had fleet PvE evenings, fleet quiz nights with very generous prizes and there is almost always someone around just to chat with/ask for help/whatever. I've never been asked to contribute anything (although I do, because I believe that's the point) and the emphasis is on being social rather than who can throw the most Dil or EC or whatever at a project.

I'm not sure whether fleet adverts are allowed here and so I won't go into detail re:names and stuff as I do appreciate that's kind of what my post sounds like - it is all accurate though. If the OP or anyone else wants more info, message me on here or in game.
  • Options
    Being positive is something that should never be discouraged :)

I have the same experience - never had any issues with weird fleet leaders. Except when I eventually became the leader, that's when our fleet leadership became a bit weird but by that time my fleet mates already knew me and had already gotten used to it :p
  • Options
    Folks who join existing fleets often run into bizarre and sometimes exploitative demands from "fleet leaders".

It seems to fit :)

Fearmongering or scaremongering is the spreading of frightening and exaggerated rumors of an impending danger or the habit or tactic of purposely and needlessly arousing public fear about an issue. This can take the form of psychological manipulation that uses fear-based tactics including exaggeration and usually repetition to influence the public in order to achieve a desired outcome.

• Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Tell me about it, we have quite the oddball fleet leadership in terms of personality but dang it wouldn't be the same any other way.
    We have myself (dreaded pirate lookalike), a 71 year old guy, and 18yr old greek (ironically galled nick), a guy with a strange sexual fixation with tribbles (in house joke), a guy with a dangerous obsession with my moobs, and a 65 yr old female pvp badass. That's just the leaders lol!
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I have heard tale if fleets in STO demanding real cash for membership. ..not cool.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »

Fearmongering or scaremongering is the spreading of frightening and exaggerated rumors of an impending danger or the habit or tactic of purposely and needlessly arousing public fear about an issue. This can take the form of psychological manipulation that uses fear-based tactics including exaggeration and usually repetition to influence the public in order to achieve a desired outcome.

I can think of a couple real world cases from recent history.
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »

I can think of a couple real world cases from recent history.

lol so can I but those are best left for discussion in ESD zone chat. My comment was directed at a couple of people in the forum who repeatedly try to paint being part of a fleet as a negative experience, when the opposite is usually true.