test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] STO System Requirements Change this Week

Comments

• Options
    ds79ds79 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Well, things are getting interesting for me since today. My PC is old but it still meets requirements. But since December last Year I can't start the game with DX11. All I'm getting is Cryptic Loading screen forever. Tried many solutions but the only way to play the game was forcing DX9. Contacted support in january but they couldn't help. Contacted them again yesterday and still waiting for answer.

It's sad couse I just got back to STO in november after few years break. The game changed a lot and I was really enjoying my time in STO.

Well ... we'll see
  • Options
    minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    Ok if you think that not all entitled to your game, this is it.
    Goodbye all, it did a pleasure to play with you.
  • Options
    terribleromulanterribleromulan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Hey Captains,

As we announced in December, starting Thursday, March 2st, 2017 (after maintenance) Star Trek Online will no longer be supporting Windows XP and Direct3D, or Video Cards with a Direct3D Hardware Feature Level less than 10.0. Since the announcement, we have been following up on player’s concerns and feedback and we feel the impact on the playerbase should be minimal.

If your system meets the requirements but you are still experiencing issues when using D3D11, please contact support and provide the following information:

· System Info (OS, D3D Version, graphic card)
    · Gameprefs.Pref file (Can be found in startrek\localdata on your computer)
    · Dxdiag (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/b319762b-f281-41b4-b746-d14de804b246/open-and-run-dxdiag-exe)
    · Description of what you are experiencing

As a reminder, Star Trek Online is no longer supported on Mac, and has never officially supported Wine. While some players have found ways to use these OS and applications for Star Trek Online, after Thursday’s update this will no longer be possible.

So if I am reading this correctly...anybody that purchased a copy of Windows 8, 8.1, windows 10 and runs it on a virtual machine on iMac (such as Parallels) won't be affected because it supports Dx10?... Would you comment on that? Windows would be running the game though Windows would be an app running on a Mac (if I understand everything).
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    So if I am reading this correctly...anybody that purchased a copy of Windows 8, 8.1, windows 10 and runs it on a virtual machine on iMac (such as Parallels) won't be affected because it supports Dx10?... Would you comment on that? Windows would be running the game though Windows would be an app running on a Mac (if I understand everything).

Probably not. The graphics interface provided by most VMs doesn't support DX9 or 10.
  • Options
    swergle33swergle33 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    can i still use xp if my version runs dx10 and 11 or does this specifically block xp regardless of dx version?
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Ok. The game was running fine yesterday while using Dx11. Now I suddenly can't access the game anymore. After pressing Engage, I get to see a black screen with an hourglass.
  • Options
    rithisakrithisak Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I'm using an Alienware 17 only a few yrs old if that and running x12 and after today's patch it wouldn't launch but I was able to get it to launch when I changed the settings game command code had directx11 with 0 and changed it to 1 and it launched after that.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Heh, and STO still doesn't recognize my AMD drivers.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    terribleromulanterribleromulan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    That seems odd, Parallels gives me the option to use dx10 which has been okay. Funny how it wouldn't On most others. I am assuming then that it should be okay...since I have the ability to use dx10...after all I do have a loscensed copy of Windows running in Parallels...or should I be using bootcamp?
  • Options
    snicketysnicksnicketysnick Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Add me to the list of those with Current AMD drivers still seeing the "out of date drivers" message. Everything works, but it's a bit of faff to have to click past an error box every couple of weeks.
  • Options
    kdakota#5438 kdakota Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    There will always come a time something is no longer supported but, not that it's not supported and it's 'on you' if it breaks or dont work right; the launcher will not even let you in game and throw out a message at you its not supported. DirectX 10 on a capable GPU and system game works fine yet wont even let you in..

Any command line to bypass that? I have a rig it wont let me in on. Think its kinda TRIBBLE they compl. block you.. guess if you cant afford a new pc no STO for you. lol

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Ok. The game was running fine yesterday while using Dx11. Now I suddenly can't access the game anymore. After pressing Engage, I get to see a black screen with an hourglass.

So... I've tried removing all Dx9 related files but the game automatically replaces them when booting the game. I still cannot get past this black screen. The game was running fine yesterday and I am not getting any warnings that anything is outdated.

What is going on?
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager

So... I've tried removing all Dx9 related files but the game automatically replaces them when booting the game. I still cannot get past this black screen. The game was running fine yesterday and I am not getting any warnings that anything is outdated.

What is going on?

Can you send me a message?
  • Options
    kdakota#5438 kdakota Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    My errors says the hardware is not supported any longer must be 10.0 or higher yet i have 10.0 so IDK what its talking about. NVS 310 (Low end OEM Card) but worked fine before.
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    OK, here's a damage control report from the penguinland...

2.1-staging (with copied over DLLs and changed Windows version) Ubuntu Yakkety, GF740 (misidentified as 470 by Wine,) Nvidia Drivers, still lets you to log in, and is mostly playable.
    Some shaders that used to work during my last check a week or so ago now actually don't (everyone is bald) and some other minor glitches, and FPS is still low, but the game is definitely functional enough to log in, collect the phoenix and doff/craft/admiralty a little. Don't have time to do much more right now.

And, does anyone know a way to force shader re-compile? I think I know what might haver caused some of the shader bugs, but I need a recompile to be sure.
  • Options
    samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nebfab wrote: »
    but the game is definitely functional enough to log in, collect the phoenix and doff/craft/admiralty a little.

That's like 80% of the gameplay :wink:

I tried some tips posted are and there. Still not working for me. It could be Mesa drivers or so. The card (gpu in fact) is DX11 capable as I've been playing on win7. Wine set as Win7, CMST enabled, other stuff... nothing. I'll keep trying.
    In between, I'll survive with W7. That doesn't improve the game at all, it makes experience quite worse, but well, I take it as a temporal pain.

About shader re-compile I use to dump the gameprefs file.
  • Options
    nebfab wrote: »
    @samargatha Another thing that may affect it is Windows version set in Wine config. It was WinXP by default, you need to set it to Windows 7 (or anything, really that's later than XP.)

Thx, but it's already set to Win7. Nvm, it seems to be something about Mesa and the video drivers. So there's some solution after all, I just need to keep tring.
  • Options
    What distro do you use?
  • Options
    samargatha wrote: »
    About shader re-compile I use to dump the gameprefs file.
    Ok, I'll try that...
  • Options
    sid333sid333 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I am very disappointed, I have the minimum requirments Windows 10 and Dxdiag, shows a 3D driver of minimum 10.xx the program still crashes and is non playable, this is a bigger issue then Cryptic/Arc is making out to be
  • Options
    teiktosteiktos Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I am a Linux-User (Linux MINT 17.3 Rosa 64 Bit Kernel Linux 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 to be precise) running an rather low-end laptop with IntelCorei3-4005U (1.7 Ghz), 4GB RAM and GeForce 840m, nvidia-367.57 0.ubuntu.0.14.04.1 driver.

I used to play STO with PlayOnLinux, and it is still working (at reduced performance) after installing wine 2.1_staging and switching the entries in the Gameprefs.pref file, especially

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.createdDXVersion 11

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx11Enabled 1

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx9Enabled 0

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx9ExEnabled 0

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.supportedDXVersion 11

They might be changed automatically with installing wine 2.1 staging and adding dxfullsetup to the installed components, but i forced it down to dx9 before to get the game going.
    If the D3DCompiler_47.dll is still missing, you can copy D3DCompiler_42.dll and just rename it (was reported some time ago).
    And don't forget to choose a Windows7 environment and, in case of crashes switching between maps, to activate reduced file streaming.

Maybe if you are a fellow penguin this is useful for you.

And thanks a lot to the pplz working on wine and coming up with a compatible version just in time!
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    @ambassadorkael my system exceeds the new minimum requirements, and has no problem running the game on max settings with DX11. However, for some time now the game has been giving me an error saying I do not meet the requirements and that my drivers are out of date (I'm using the most recent drivers available, released in 2017). There have been several threads in the support section regarding this that have seemingly been ignored. Will I, and the others experiencing this bug, be locked out of the game after this update? Or is the error just a nuisance that can be safely ignored?

Hmm. I had heard that this issue was fixed. Can you message me?

Error is still there, but I'm still able to play so I'm happy. I hope the info I sent you yesterday helps get the error taken care of though.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    whisperorwhisperor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    Just installed Windows 10 on my Mac, using Parallels Desktop 12 VM, gave it a test run.
    Okay, graphic details need to be reduced prevent crashes/freezes(although that may be just a tech limiting issue since my computer is nearly 4 years old) and even then, crashes/freezes can occasionally occur; nevertheless.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c
  • Options
    crazyphil487crazyphil487 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    @ambassadorkael my system exceeds the new minimum requirements, and has no problem running the game on max settings with DX11. However, for some time now the game has been giving me an error saying I do not meet the requirements and that my drivers are out of date (I'm using the most recent drivers available, released in 2017). There have been several threads in the support section regarding this that have seemingly been ignored. Will I, and the others experiencing this bug, be locked out of the game after this update? Or is the error just a nuisance that can be safely ignored?

Hmm. I had heard that this issue was fixed. Can you message me?

Error is still there, but I'm still able to play so I'm happy. I hope the info I sent you yesterday helps get the error taken care of though.

I can confirm this, the white text on the bottom left of the character select is still there, but it is still playable.
  • Options
    teiktos wrote: »
    I used to play STO with PlayOnLinux, and it is still working (at reduced performance) after installing wine 2.1_staging and switching the entries in the Gameprefs.pref file, especially

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.createdDXVersion 11

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx11Enabled 1

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx9Enabled 0

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx9ExEnabled 0

PrefEntry SystemSpecs.supportedDXVersion 11

They might be changed automatically with installing wine 2.1 staging and adding dxfullsetup to the installed components, but i forced it down to dx9 before to get the game going.
    If the D3DCompiler_47.dll is still missing, you can copy D3DCompiler_42.dll and just rename it (was reported some time ago).
    And don't forget to choose a Windows7 environment and, in case of crashes switching between maps, to activate reduced file streaming.

Maybe if you are a fellow penguin this is useful for you.

Well, made that and still nothing. Ty anyway.

• Options
    velvetsanityvelvetsanity Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    That seems odd, Parallels gives me the option to use dx10 which has been okay. Funny how it wouldn't On most others. I am assuming then that it should be okay...since I have the ability to use dx10...after all I do have a loscensed copy of Windows running in Parallels...or should I be using bootcamp?
    If it runs smoothly with good FPS and no control lag in parallels, just keep playing that way. However, if you have low/stuttery FPS or any lag in controls, then you should run in bootcamp instead.
  • Options
    captinjacksparowcaptinjacksparow Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I have DirectX 11 installed on my computer but I can't launch the game. It's telling me I need to upgrade my video card to one that supports DirectX 10 or higher. Any suggestions?

Edit: I also just updated my driver to the latest version to be sure it wasn't out of date.
  • Options
    dashcorrigandashcorrigan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    so Intel HD Graphics doesn't work anymore?
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    i had a problem running dx11 on my laptop the solution was to update the graphics drivers on my laptop that wasnt even 3 yrs old and yes it has a intel hd graphics card.
    try updating the drivers, and see if that helps.
    also turn off the bloom effect cause i have had that particular item crash my game also while loading with dx11.
    hope that helps some of you guys with issues.