test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

why is it so difficult

to get a little help ingame without some snide remark like "get a job" when asking if anyone has a Kelvin Temporal Dreadnought they wanna get rid of? tried searching the exchange but can't seem to find one. I thought those who liked Star Trek were better than that. silly me
WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
either to conquer or to die for the Empire

Comments

• Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    to get a little help ingame without some snide remark like "get a job" when asking if anyone has a Kelvin Temporal Dreadnought they wanna get rid of? tried searching the exchange but can't seem to find one. I thought those who liked Star Trek were better than that. silly me

How often do you walk up to total strangers and ask for 60 $? Because thats whats happened.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Seems some backstory is needed before this OP made sense...?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I had asked if anyone had a kelvin dreadnought they wanted to get rid of. simple as that. I DID get one, no thanks to "they" who DIDn't help. I WASN'T asking for someone to buy one FOR me
    WE SURVIVE!

• Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Not necessarily. He might have been asking if someone had one they wanted to sell...just in a way which didn't make the best use of language.

Edit: Another thought - not sure how someone figures $60 as a price when it costs 900 Lobi. $60 is less than half way.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    In English "get rid of" can mean either "give away" or "sell or trade." The "get a job" responses were from people assuming you were begging for a ship, which does happen.
  • Options
    Not necessarily. He might have been asking if someone had one they wanted to sell...just in a way which didn't make the best use of language.

Edit: Another thought - not sure how someone figures $60 as a price when it costs 900 Lobi. $60 is less than half way.

this, AFTER I had gotten the credits from selling keys, which sold in seconds, LITerally
    WE SURVIVE!

• Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    If you're talking about the Vengeance there are currently six on the exchange, starting at 350 million EC. The price alone should give you a clue why people are hesitant to just give one away. If you mean the Prototype Dreadnought Cruiser there are only three of those on the exchange, also starting around the 350 million EC mark.

I get the impression that the reason you couldn't find them on the exchange is that you aren't using the right search terms. For the Vengeance you need to search for "Intel Dreadnought", for the Atlas class and its KDF/Romulan equivalents look for "Tier 6 Dreadnought". For the latter you can also search for "Prototype Dreadnought", "D9" or "Thrai" depending on which faction's ship you want but note that there aren't any unboxed Romulan ones listed at the moment, although that doesn't matter when the Tier 6 Dreadnought requisitions are available (because they give a Thrai when you open them on a Romulan character).

You're still not going to find many people willing to gift you something that sells for over 300 million just because you ask, and I'm saying that as someone who was once given a Voth Bastion just because I happened to mention in chat that I needed one to complete the set. (Thanks again Scott!)
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    The forums are filled with people just like those in zone chat that automatically assume someone wants something for free. In fact, the OP had a thread a few days back now asking about the fastest way to get lobi in order to buy one. Some responses pointed him on the right track for quickly acquiring the EC to buy it that way which is apparently what they did.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Man this thread is funny.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    if you'd ask for a free mirror ship NP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lopequil wrote: »
    If you're talking about the Vengeance there are currently six on the exchange, starting at 350 million EC. The price alone should give you a clue why people are hesitant to just give one away. If you mean the Prototype Dreadnought Cruiser there are only three of those on the exchange, also starting around the 350 million EC mark.

I get the impression that the reason you couldn't find them on the exchange is that you aren't using the right search terms. For the Vengeance you need to search for "Intel Dreadnought", for the Atlas class and its KDF/Romulan equivalents look for "Tier 6 Dreadnought". For the latter you can also search for "Prototype Dreadnought", "D9" or "Thrai" depending on which faction's ship you want but note that there aren't any unboxed Romulan ones listed at the moment, although that doesn't matter when the Tier 6 Dreadnought requisitions are available (because they give a Thrai when you open them on a Romulan character).

You're still not going to find many people willing to gift you something that sells for over 300 million just because you ask, and I'm saying that as someone who was once given a Voth Bastion just because I happened to mention in chat that I needed one to complete the set. (Thanks again Scott!)

yeah, I was looking for kelvin dreadnought, but I eventually got the right parameter for it. managed to get it for 344,444,444, or there abouts. and no, I WASN'T looking for it to be gifted

WE SURVIVE!

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    lopequil wrote: »

yeah, I was looking for kelvin dreadnought, but I eventually got the right parameter for it. managed to get it for 344,444,444, or there abouts. and no, I WASN'T looking for it to be gifted

WTB Kelvin Dreadnought is a lot clearer than anyone have a Kelvin Dreadnought they want to get rid of. It is easy to understand why some people give snide remarks with some players begging or asking for the ship for almost nothing.

A few years back, I got 2 Ferengi D'Koras within a couple of minutes of each other and I was bombarded with requests begging for the ship or selling it for half what it is worth. Some people are willing to give a 5% to 20% discount off of the current market price, but very few people are willing to give away something that cost either a bunch of time or money just because they are a nice person. Especially since there is the possibility of people selling the ship that was given away out of the kindness of someone else's heart.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Since STO is F2P, there can be a lot of 'riff raff' around. ;)
    And STO is so grindy and/or luck driven, there is very little charity. A couple years ago I calculated the 'hourly pay' of grinding Dil to be something like $0.62. I can't think that number's gotten better over time. It's pretty much the entire reason why you'd use real money unless you just happen to have a lot of free time!
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    A few years back, I got 2 Ferengi D'Koras within a couple of minutes of each other and I was bombarded with requests begging for the ship or selling it for half what it is worth. Some people are willing to give a 5% to 20% discount off of the current market price, but very few people are willing to give away something that cost either a bunch of time or money just because they are a nice person. Especially since there is the possibility of people selling the ship that was given away out of the kindness of someone else's heart.

This is one of the more annoying things about your @handle being spammed to the population of the game.

The lobi ships do seem expensive on the exchange until you realise that 900 lobi takes over 200 keys to get at around 4 a box.

Begging for one the best you can expect is to have someone drop it into a trade then go afk. Or invite them to your bridge and say this is what you could have won in your best jim bowen accent.
  • Options
    yanno, the whole purpose of this was to comment on the incivility of some. maybe I shoulda specified that I had the credits, but that doesn't excuse THEIR attitude. again, silly me for thinking I'd get a positive response
    WE SURVIVE!

• Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    The problem is the way the request was phrased. If you say "get rid of" it's natural to assume that the person doesn't value it and would be prepared to give it away gratis. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and make it clear that you want to buy next time.

Oh, and check out the STO wiki if you have trouble finding a ship on the exchange. It has a page of all of them and it gives the correct name as well as the name of the requisition box they come from. No hard feelings.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    Considering the OPs overall poor demeanor in this thread (including a bellicose post title), it seems like things went they way they were supposed to go.

Fix your own attitude and better things might happen.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    There's a difference between expecting help, and asking someone to get you a product. And whether that product was something they wanted to get rid of anyway doesn't matter - you're asking for a lot more than just 'help'.

That doesn't mean that I agree with the harsh answers you got (and the assumptions its providers made) but I hope you realise that you may have irritated someone - even if that wasn't your intention - in a way you wouldn't have done if you had indeed just been asking for help. I'm pretty sure that most people are willing to help if they can - but not necessarily in the way you probably wanted them to.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
    ...To finish a thread title?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User

Folks like to act like total smegheads, it seems. From my own experiences, especially some Trek forums and such, they can be some of the most hostile, rude and closed minded folks one would have the misfortune to meet.

If you are in game, warmonger360, give me a shout, maybe I can help yas build up some ec. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    yanno, the whole purpose of this was to comment on the incivility of some. maybe I shoulda specified that I had the credits, but that doesn't excuse THEIR attitude. again, silly me for thinking I'd get a positive response
    There are some players who have gained some level of infamy because they would beg in zone-chat for a Kelvin Intel Dreadnought. They have done this off and on for a few months. I've seen them post on ESD and DS9.

My guess is you were on the receiving end of some irritation caused by said players. Especially since you did not specify you were looking to buy the ship.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    It's less asking for help and more wanting to trade but with unwisely chosen term, I think. Which is why you got hostile answers. If you had said something like "WTB Intel Dread. I have 350M", everything would have gone smoothly.

If you didn't say you wanted to buy and simply "looking for someone who wants to get rid of an Intel Dread", it can be easily interpreted as begging. If someone already dealt with true in-game beggars, they wouldn't be likely to want to help someone if this someone used near identical terms.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    People need to learn how to explain themselves properly, it saves a lot of unnecessary trouble from happening.
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    Cultural barrier I suspect. As a British person I understand 'get rid of' to mean 'sell'. It's clear from this thread that this isn't universally understood.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Cultural barrier I suspect. As a British person I understand 'get rid of' to mean 'sell'. It's clear from this thread that this isn't universally understood.

Very true, I'm from the US and I read the same thing as asking for one for free.

I'm not saying it justifies piling on someone or being rude, but personally.. I would read the request as asking for a free ship.

The best way to avoid these things is to just be as clear as possible with your request. Sorry OP that you felt attacked, I would just chalk this one up to lack of communication and try not to take it personally. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User

My apologies. It did came of as one of the far too many "give me rare ship XYZ for free" requests which ppl ask in all seriousness on public chats.

Gratulations on your new ship :)
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    OP I am sorry, I also understood "get rid of" to mean get it for free.

Yea... This...

"Get rid of" means "I am unwilling to pay, so someone should give me"
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas