test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] STO System Requirements Change this Week

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
edited February 2017 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hey Captains,

As we announced in December, starting Thursday, March 2st, 2017 (after maintenance) Star Trek Online will no longer be supporting Windows XP and Direct3D, or Video Cards with a Direct3D Hardware Feature Level less than 10.0. Since the announcement, we have been following up on player’s concerns and feedback and we feel the impact on the playerbase should be minimal.

If your system meets the requirements but you are still experiencing issues when using D3D11, please contact support and provide the following information:

· System Info (OS, D3D Version, graphic card)
· Gameprefs.Pref file (Can be found in startrek\localdata on your computer)
· Dxdiag (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/b319762b-f281-41b4-b746-d14de804b246/open-and-run-dxdiag-exe)
· Description of what you are experiencing

As a reminder, Star Trek Online is no longer supported on Mac, and has never officially supported Wine. While some players have found ways to use these OS and applications for Star Trek Online, after Thursday’s update this will no longer be possible.

Comments

• Options
    samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Since the announcement, we have been following up on player’s concerns and feedback and we feel the impact on the playerbase should be minimal.

For those who are affected, it's not that minimal.
    As a reminder, Star Trek Online is no longer supported on Mac, and has never officially supported Wine. While some players have found ways to use these OS and applications for Star Trek Online, after Thursday’s update this will no longer be possible.

Don't bet :D
    As, for now, you might be right, with time we will find a way to play on linux/mac again. By now Wine 2.1-staging seems to have some DX11 support. I didn't make it work yet. But be sure I'll keep trying. Whatever takes to be away of that glory hole of spam/bloatware/spyware/malware that windows is.

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,327 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I'm wondering how tomorrow March 2st, 2017 will be called in STO history.
    Perhaps:
    - C-day. Short for Crash day
    - D-day. Short for Disaster day
    - DX-day. Short for DX10 day.
    - ADLAO - Short for "A day like any other"
    - The big dipper (Just because it sounds catchy)
    - Forum Uproar day (Because of those who somehow missed the announcements come complaining)

Anyone else have suggestions?
    Post edited by questerius on
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    questerius wrote: »
    I'm wondering how tomorrow will be called in STO history.
    Perhaps:
    - Forum Uproar day (Because of those who somehow missed the announcements come complaining)

ADLAO I think :P Cause ambassadorkael said it starts 2th finally. So we have 1 more day to enjoy.
    After that... well.. for me, I have one spare crappy W7. It works. Even on my 11 years old computer DX10 works. If the comp wants to boot, that's it, but then it works.
    But the shame is that I need to swap OS just for that. Luckily, the only thing running on that W7 will be STO and one antivirus/firewall. Still, if it gets junk, nothing will be lost except STO, cause all my main OS and stuff is on a different physical hard disc that will be non-visible to W7.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Edit: nevermind. Had to manually put in a missing dll file in the STO folder. It's working properly now, no more warnings, and the right option in the Display settings in-game.

I'm here to stay :p
    Post edited by risian4 on
  • Options
    samargatha wrote: »
    I'm wondering how tomorrow will be called in STO history.
    Perhaps:

ADLAO I think :P Cause ambassadorkael said it starts 2th finally. So we have 1 more day to enjoy.
    After that... well.. for me, I have one spare crappy W7. It works. Even on my 11 years old computer DX10 works. If the comp wants to boot, that's it, but then it works.
    But the shame is that I need to swap OS just for that. Luckily, the only thing running on that W7 will be STO and one antivirus/firewall. Still, if it gets junk, nothing will be lost except STO, cause all my main OS and stuff is on a different physical hard disc that will be non-visible to W7.

Good catch. Edited.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    OK, I understand that you're probably not authorised to say anything, but just in case you are...

The current version does work in Wine 2.x with DX11, it's slow and glitchy, but technically playable. Does this mean that whatever is done to remove DX 9 support may impact Wine compatibility even with DX11 support, or is it just an acknowledgement that it won't work anywhere as smooth as it used to?

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    79909614689332379097.jpg
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User

As, for now, you might be right, with time we will find a way to play on linux/mac again.
    Hey if you can, good - more power to you.

The point is it's not officially supported on those platforms. That means when things break or when everything doesn't work perfectly, it's on you to find a fix or a workaround, not Cryptic.

screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Hey Captains,

While i am not a mac user, is it not possible to run windows 10 through bootcamp on a MAC and with that Star Trek Online without difficulties (Windows 10 has DX12 support built-in).
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »

The point is it's not officially supported on those platforms. That means when things break or when everything doesn't work perfectly, it's on you to find a fix or a workaround, not Cryptic.

And we get that. But isn't blocking us from using 9 a bit over-reaction?​​
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    Hey Captains,

While i am not a mac user, is it not possible to run windows 10 through bootcamp on a MAC and with that Star Trek Online without difficulties (Windows 10 has DX12 support built-in).

Of course, but then you're just running Windows on a PC. All bootcamp is, is a bootloader and hardware specific drivers so Windows can see the hardware. That's how run all my games On my iMac using Windows using Bootcamp.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    guljarol wrote: »
    And we get that. But isn't blocking us from using 9 a bit over-reaction?​​

They're stopping support of 9 NOT in order to kill off the Mac playerbase, but because using dx11 provides some things dx9 currently doesn't.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Since the announcement, we have been following up on player’s concerns and feedback and we feel the impact on the playerbase should be minimal.

As, for now, you might be right, with time we will find a way to play on linux/mac again. By now Wine 2.1-staging seems to have some DX11 support. I didn't make it work yet. But be sure I'll keep trying. Whatever takes to be away of that glory hole of spam/bloatware/spyware/malware that windows is.

LMAO another deluded Mac user.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    @ambassadorkael my system exceeds the new minimum requirements, and has no problem running the game on max settings with DX11. However, for some time now the game has been giving me an error saying I do not meet the requirements and that my drivers are out of date (I'm using the most recent drivers available, released in 2017). There have been several threads in the support section regarding this that have seemingly been ignored. Will I, and the others experiencing this bug, be locked out of the game after this update? Or is the error just a nuisance that can be safely ignored?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    I'm wondering how tomorrow March 2st, 2017 will be called in STO history.
    Perhaps:

DOOOOOMsday

Doom Thread day

OMG THE GAME IS DOOMED day

FREAKOUT BECAUSE THE GAME IS DOOMED day

Day of DOOM (pun intended)

Saint DOOMs Day

Ok thats all i got :)
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »

LMAO another deluded Mac user.

No, i'm on linux.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    nebfab wrote: »
    OK, I understand that you're probably not authorised to say anything, but just in case you are...

The current version does work in Wine 2.x with DX11, it's slow and glitchy, but technically playable. Does this mean that whatever is done to remove DX 9 support may impact Wine compatibility even with DX11 support, or is it just an acknowledgement that it won't work anywhere as smooth as it used to?

Please, can you explain how? I got win 2.1-staging and still says i'm on DX9, no DX11 option on Display tab. Tried with CSMT and without. How did you did it?
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Please, can you explain how? I got win 2.1-staging and still says i'm on DX9, no DX11 option on Display tab. Tried with CSMT and without. How did you did it?

From what I understand, your card could not be supported YET. Mine isn't either. I hope that'll change soon and it's a temporary break from the game.​​
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    @ambassadorkael Or is the error just a nuisance that can be safely ignored?

My guess, that but if the day comes and this error does become a deal breaker I did find a way to clear the issue.

1. Uninstall graphics drivers completely
    2. Reinstall older drivers (with ATI, don't go with 17. Just updated back to those and the issue came up again. 16 were working just fine after I completely reinstalled to those.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    thecrusher#6644 thecrusher Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    How about Newton's Day because the... "...Apple has now fallen far from the tree!" ;)

If anyone's that super worried about this, just run Win 7 x64 on Mac in a Virtual PC Environment.

BTW, Kudos to jonathanlonehawk for mentioning what it is that Bootcamp actually does, and it's not all that useful compared to Virtual PC when using Mac; then only difference being, lots of RAM, so be advised that in using Virtual PC it's likely the RAM will have to be doubled or even tripled and/or quadrupled depending on the allocations the Mac is used to.

When possible, just KISS, ( Keep It Short & Simple ).

To those using Bootcamp, it's gotta go. ;)
    Regards,

- Lifetime Gamer
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
    @ambassadorkael my system exceeds the new minimum requirements, and has no problem running the game on max settings with DX11. However, for some time now the game has been giving me an error saying I do not meet the requirements and that my drivers are out of date (I'm using the most recent drivers available, released in 2017). There have been several threads in the support section regarding this that have seemingly been ignored. Will I, and the others experiencing this bug, be locked out of the game after this update? Or is the error just a nuisance that can be safely ignored?

Hmm. I had heard that this issue was fixed. Can you message me?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

@samargatha As far as I know, you still need a vidcard that hardware-supports DX10.1 (I think,) correct drivers and support for that specific card in Wine itself.

Although I didn't have much luck asking about specific games, asking a generic "Why doesn't DX11 work on my system?" question on Wine or PlayOnLinux (or whatever wrapper you use) forum might be fruitful (don't ask it in plain Wine forums if you use wrappers and vice versa.)

ADD: Also chheck that 2.1-staging is the version you actually use with STO.
  • Options

@samargatha As far as I know, you still need a vidcard that hardware-supports DX10.1 (I think,) correct drivers and support for that specific card in Wine itself.

The GPU (not videocard) has DX12 support. It's an i7 Skylake. It works using W7. Wine seems not recognize it can use DX11, by now.
    And yes, using 2.1-staging since yesterday.

As said before, could be wine not supporting the i7 GPU yet (the Intel 530 HD Graphics). But it's a very common chip, so I guess it's only a matter of time (if that's the issue).

And I'll check PoL forums and so, thx.
  • Options

The GPU (not videocard) has DX12 support. It's an i7 Skylake. It works using W7. Wine seems not recognize it can use DX11, by now.
    And yes, using 2.1-staging since yesterday.

As said before, could be wine not supporting the i7 GPU yet (the Intel 530 HD Graphics). But it's a very common chip, so I guess it's only a matter of time (if that's the issue).

And I'll check PoL forums and so, thx.

@samargatha Another thing that may affect it is Windows version set in Wine config. It was WinXP by default, you need to set it to Windows 7 (or anything, really that's later than XP.)
  • Options
    rebuilthk47rebuilthk47 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Dear XP users,

Welcome to the 21st Century. It's long past time to upgrade. Even Kirk had to upgrade.
    Sincerely,
    The Future

If I wasn't on a data capped internet of a measly 10GB, I'd be using Wine for all my MMO needs.
  • Options
    bigdamnheroes69bigdamnheroes69 Member Posts: 28 Arc User

Not the individual you're replying to, but I can confirm...not fixed (at least, as of last night I was still seeing the error on my fully updated win 10/r290 system.
  • Options
    crazyphil487crazyphil487 Member Posts: 19 Arc User

Not the individual you're replying to, but I can confirm...not fixed (at least, as of last night I was still seeing the error on my fully updated win 10/r290 system.

I have the same thing. I'm running AMD Crimson 16.12.2. Here are screenshots of what I've been seeing once a month for the past three months:

Screenshot #1 (Failed System Spec test): https://www.dropbox.com/s/syobr8ie6dp5a1i/Screenshot%202017-03-02%2015.27.49.png?dl=0

Screenshot #2 (Character select screen, note message in lower left corner): https://dropbox.com/s/fgjrg9gcslhy1hk/Screenshot%202017-03-02%2015.29.12.png?dl=0

Here is a screen shot of my in-game Display options: https://dropbox.com/s/gmi0h9n1sn230qv/Screenshot%202017-03-02%2015.54.15.png?dl=0
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    From your wording it seems like anybody currently using Wine or PlayOnMac with DX11 on Mac or Linux will be out of luck as of this patch. Not officially supported is one thing, locking out emulators is another.

Proud to have been a STO Mac player since 2011 :) Deliberately cutting out OS diversity is almost like taking things out of the game. Boo, hiss, etc... and so much for IDIC :/

(yes I use Windows as well)