test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just curious, what ARC level is everyone?

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

And I'm working towards a T6 Vesta ship pack-the nine-pack. Yes, I know it's going to take forever, but I'm patient like that.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Zero.

I don't use Arc.

Same here, when i saw a quest to buy zen after the first 500 points I knew what that was. Never mind the fact that Arc crapped out on me so bad I had to reinstall the software just to get it to start up again without crashing after clicking the icon. The only time I'll use it now is if they offer things like the Khan outfit. Otherwise it's not stable enough to use regularly.

You have received [Arc]!
    *Examine* "Yo! We hear you like launchers! So we put a launcher on your launcher for the launcher of your game launcher EXE file!"
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2017
    Zero.

I don't use Arc.

Same here. I do get Bing points on a daily basis, which gets me XBOX $$$ for free at a slow pace, but since I have a script in Chrome for the search portion and the remainder is just clicking 2-5 things in Edge, it's worth my time.

Installing Arc is definitively NOT worth my time, specially when it hijacks my STO installation through evil registry entries. On top of that, I don't have the patience or HD space to deal with "quests" that are really a cheap ploy to make you install games in the hope they stay there forever.
  • glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    I use Arc every day for the quests. I then shut it down (plus the hidden icon) and fire up STO from the EXE file. If you have the disc space you can install several of the games and you will be making points every day. Remember, you only have to get to the launcher screen to get the points.

I used $20 of Arc points when I bought my 31st C ship pack.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2017
    Also, if you don't use Arc, how to you launch the game?

Put a shortcut to the .exe on your desktop:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online.exe

Better yet, get an existing install, take it into a fresh copy of Windows, put it in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online

and make a shortcut to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online.exe

Works like a charm, and no Arc or Steam bloatware if you don't want it.

P.S. I don't have the ARC path because I refuse to use it.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    But I take breaks from the game from time to time.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    Even if I take breaks from the game, I still do my Arc quests.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Since I only play STO, and on an extremely casual basis right now, my Arc level is absurdly low. Level 10.

I almost have 5000 points to trade in for 500 Zen, though. So there is that bright spot.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    just out of curiosity i booted Arc. you have to play non -sto games to get the zen. yeah I have no interest in blacklight or jade dynasty so I'm not playing them for a week for 500 zen
    Spock.jpg

As has been said, you don't actually have to *play* the game, just activate the launcher and you get credit. I've installed a few games to use strictly for Arc quests and all my zen goes to STO. You do have to specify game/server before you can redeem the points.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I'm a console player that linked my account on Xbox One to Arc, which granted me an ingame Khan's uniform unlock; but that seems to be the only benefit of having done so? I did all of the Arc account setup which gave me enough credits to get a Star Trek Online feline pet, which I can't actually use on console?

Are you beginning to see the futility and pointlessness of Arc yet?
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    None. I'm here to play STO. On occasion to check out my CO chars. Not(!) to play Arc. Although that MMO "Ark" looked interesting last time I checked. There are not related I assume?
  • axegaijin13axegaijin13 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    00 because that's twice the amount of 0 ;)

Anyhow, I don't use arc, I like to have my games on one system in one place so I launch from Steam.
  • glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    It takes a couple of minutes a day to use Arc. For that you get free Zen. With enough games loaded you can earn more Zen per month than Lifetimers.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Also, if you don't use Arc, how to you launch the game?

1)Install via steam
    2)Install via old installer if that's still out there
    or
    3)Stop using arc and go into the actual directory STO is installed in and launch the launcher manually
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    bmcd73 wrote: »
    curious why so many of you don't run arc? Arent all the freebie codes they give away require arc now?

Freebie codes?
    With enough games loaded...

Yeah, no. I don't have uber fiber broadband. Downloading games actually takes time. And that's not even considering the HDD space.

As for how I run the game without Arc.... I started STO years ago. Still using the good old pre-Arc launcher. I've never had the Arc software installed in the first place.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Zero.

I don't use Arc.

Took the words right off my typing fingers.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    Zero. Or maybe 1 for having installed it once on a different PC to get the Khan outfit.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    you just have to hit the play button in arc itself to get credit for that day...hell, you seemingly don't even need the actual GAME installed, just the launcher that the button is linked to​​
    Except Jade Dynasty.... That one is coded strangely and will DL game updates whenever you open Arc... Unless you reconfigure Arc to turn that off. I forget where that is though. MOST games don't do that. Forsaken World is another weird one in that it likes to run updates whenever Arc is open... but it's really just updating it's LAUNCHER, not the whole game. Jade Dynasty seems to simply not have a launcher of it's own.

Aside from occasionally seeing pretty pictures on launchers, I have never played any those games. :P I only play STO, Champions, and occasionally tinker with the Neverwinter Foundry, but I don't play the actual Neverwinter game itself.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Funny how half the replies are soapboxing against free zen.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Funny how half the replies are soapboxing against free zen.

I would argue that the "free zen" encourages people to make purchases.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »

Freebie codes?

Like the T6 Ship emails they send out a couple of times a year. And, no, Arc is not required as you can input the codes here on the website.
    Well, since I figured out where my STO.exe launcher was at. I was able to put a shortcut to it. Now I can halfway play it on my laptop. At least some things. It's still laggy as all get out, but not nearly what it was. Now maybe I can do DOFFs/Admiralties/etc, as well as work at the Lukari ship trait.

Before I did that, I couldn't even navigate on ESD.

So I can do my Arc quests, then sign out of Arc and launch STO.

It'll work till I get my desktop running again. I may even be able to manage Flying High if it takes that long.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    bmcd73 wrote: »
    curious why so many of you don't run arc? Arent all the freebie codes they give away require arc now?

Freebie codes?
    With enough games loaded...

Yeah, no. I don't have uber fiber broadband. Downloading games actually takes time. And that's not even considering the HDD space.

As for how I run the game without Arc.... I started STO years ago. Still using the good old pre-Arc launcher. I've never had the Arc software installed in the first place.

It's a shame--I do have uber fiber broadband and about 3TB of storage. And if they're giving away free money, I'm up for it.

Level 70, by the way.
    boldly-watched.png
  • tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User

I play on PS4 but would not use if I had a PC.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Well, since I figured out where my STO.exe launcher was at. I was able to put a shortcut to it. Now I can halfway play it on my laptop. At least some things. It's still laggy as all get out, but not nearly what it was. Now maybe I can do DOFFs/Admiralties/etc, as well as work at the Lukari ship trait.

Before I did that, I couldn't even navigate on ESD.

So I can do my Arc quests, then sign out of Arc and launch STO.

It'll work till I get my desktop running again. I may even be able to manage Flying High if it takes that long.
    Yeah, its unfortunate their "overlay" seriously doesn't work with this now-required dx11 totally kills graphics performance if launched from Arc.

I'm pretty sure at least some of the Arc games will actually have option to automatically create a direct shortcut when you install them. Dunno about STO though, because I had it installed already when I got Arc.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    "Thousands of free extra zen"? Bologna!

Oh, and zero.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    "Thousands of free extra zen"? Bologna!

Oh, and zero.

I think the Thousands part can be quantified. Every ten levels you have 5000 points that turns in for 500 zen. So lvl 90+ should be 4500 zen over time.

Though according to my math teacher in jhs, nothing is actually free. Buy one get one free is really 50% off. In this case it is work a few minutes everyday for a few weeks per 500zen.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    Yes. It's work a few minutes a day for several weeks and get zen. Should be the equivalent of the stipend that lifers get. Now I'm building some up before I redeem it and using my stipend to buy a few keys to sell to build up ec at the same time.

I do want that 9-pack T6 sci bundle. Maybe by the time I work out the zen for it, another ship sale will be going on.

Really, it's no trouble at all to launch a few launchers/sign into Arc every morning. Us poor people are willing to work for our zen.
    Now a LTS and loving it.